Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm

Anyone know his Yard per completion (minus YAC) yards? Seemed like most were shorter passes and then YAC by the receivers.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:08 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:55 pm Anyone know his Yard per completion (minus YAC) yards? Seemed like most were shorter passes and then YAC by the receivers.
No, but you are correct to a large degree. That's the "idiot" coach they have maximizing his limited abilities as a passer, and using his mobility and threat to run on RPO's etc. Sirianni has definitely done well with what he has. People were complaining about how he didn't use Sanders enough, but when he does use Sanders more, he gets hurt, so that's not even an issue for me. Sirianni as a rookie HC has done a pretty good job creating an offense around a skill set, and lack thereof, of his QB. I'd like to see what he could do with a more proficient passer. One thing people always complain about coaches for, is trying to fit players into their system, rather than the other way around. Sirianni has not done that. He's working with what he has, and I think people are overly harsh on him as a rookie HC.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDWlD_NkbI

good, unbiased analysis from JT O'Sullivan on Hurts here. He's still very much a work-in-progress at this point and it's frankly concerning to see him continue to miss easy reads. He's still showing a lot of inconsistency, though somewhat expected for a young QB. However, he's made admirable strides in throwing with anticipation, read progression, and patience/movement in the pocket (not bailing so quickly).

Another good snippet from Dan Orlovsky on smart pre-snap recognition by Hurts
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status ... 3191398410

To me, vague statements that I continue to see around dynasty circles about Hurts' weaknesses as a passer do not contribute much to the discussion at this point because they are widely understood and fully reflected in his dynasty value. The question should be if his game film has evidenced enough improvement that either the Eagles or another team would view him as a starting option (with a cheap rookie contract). Because we've seen rushing QBs that do just enough as a passer 1) can support good NFL offenses and 2) will still be fantasy cheat-codes; Hurts has the most QB1 finishes this year by a decent margin despite missing @NYJ blowout. Whether he looks like he's got 2+ years as a starter will determine where his value goes.

I don't know there's a clear answer, but I think he's shown probably enough to warrant at least another year. Moreover, the rookie class looks weak, and I find it hard to see the team shifting course if PHI sneaks into the playoffs in what was supposed to be a rebuilding/evaluation year.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:26 pm

Personally, I don't see how Jalen Hurts is not starting week 1 in 2022 season, and mostly likely for the Eagles. Nor do I see the Eagles drafting a QB.

Besides trading for a well established veteran, how do the Eagles proceed with drafting a QB in round 1 next year while they have an ascending young QB on the roster fresh off a 8 or 9 win season?

Do they Start the rookie QB week 1, wait for the crowd to boo him to the bench?

Do they start their third year ascending QB week 1? What happens if he is on pace for another 9 win season?

Do they trade Hurts to a team and potentially watch 2 former QBs lead other teams to the playoffs?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:31 pm

remedy29 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:26 pm Personally, I don't see how Jalen Hurts is not starting week 1 in 2022 season, and mostly likely for the Eagles. Nor do I see the Eagles drafting a QB.

Besides trading for a well established veteran, how do the Eagles proceed with drafting a QB in round 1 next year while they have an ascending young QB on the roster fresh off a 8 or 9 win season?

Do they start their third year ascending QB week 1? What happens if he is on pace for another 9 win season?

Do they trade Hurts to a team and potentially watch 2 former QBs lead other teams to the playoffs?
I doubt he isn't, but I also doubt Hurts is a long time starter in Philly. These statements are loaded questions, but nobody cares about guy "leading teams to the playoffs". Hurts might make the playoffs if they deal him, Wentz might this year. Doesn't matter. What matters is the outlook on the player, and SB potential. If you don't win a SB, it doesn't matter. Will anybody say Wentz "lead the Colts to the playoffs"? I am huge advocate that Wentz has done well this year. But it took an MVP caliber performance from JT and the D stepping up in recent week to even have a shot. Hurts isn't winning a Super Bowl. Not unless he gets struck by lightning. So if you can trade him and make a profit off his original pick value, it's not going to be a black mark on the franchise long term.

Saying that, there's a large probability he's the starter in Philly next year, unless Sirianni has shown them enough with Hurts limited skill set that he can convince them to draft his guy and move on from Hurts, because it's almost certain Hurts isn't Sirianni's guy.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:56 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:31 pm
remedy29 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:26 pm Personally, I don't see how Jalen Hurts is not starting week 1 in 2022 season, and mostly likely for the Eagles. Nor do I see the Eagles drafting a QB.

I doubt he isn't, but I also doubt Hurts is a long time starter in Philly. These statements are loaded questions, but nobody cares about guy "leading teams to the playoffs". Hurts might make the playoffs if they deal him, Wentz might this year. Doesn't matter. What matters is the outlook on the player, and SB potential. If you don't win a SB, it doesn't matter. Will anybody say Wentz "lead the Colts to the playoffs"? I am huge advocate that Wentz has done well this year. But it took an MVP caliber performance from JT and the D stepping up in recent week to even have a shot. Hurts isn't winning a Super Bowl. Not unless he gets struck by lightning. So if you can trade him and make a profit off his original pick value, it's not going to be a black mark on the franchise long term.

Saying that, there's a large probability he's the starter in Philly next year, unless Sirianni has shown them enough with Hurts limited skill set that he can convince them to draft his guy and move on from Hurts, because it's almost certain Hurts isn't Sirianni's guy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I sold Hurts for a '22 mid 2nd and sterling shepherd right before the season started. Could I have gotten more if I sold him now? probably. But I still don't regret my trade. He's been very good for FF. But if you can get a good price for him I'd move him again in a heartbeat. All I want from a fantasy QB is week 2 week consistency, if im unsure wether or not he'll have a job in the next few seasons I don't want any part of it
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:35 am

ThunderTung wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:56 pm I've said it before and I'll say it again. I sold Hurts for a '22 mid 2nd and sterling shepherd right before the season started. Could I have gotten more if I sold him now? probably. But I still don't regret my trade. He's been very good for FF. But if you can get a good price for him I'd move him again in a heartbeat. All I want from a fantasy QB is week 2 week consistency, if im unsure wether or not he'll have a job in the next few seasons I don't want any part of it
You should try Superflex, it's a fun up-and-coming format! :thumbup:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDWlD_NkbI

Good break down here by JT. Shows some positives and negatives from Hurts, and some nice play designs by Sirianni.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:02 am

Definitely he isa scheme needy QB but if the coach is willing then he has a future. If you’re not running an RPO offense as your base Hurts is less appealing both in fantasy and reality football 🏈 Now that requires getting a backup that is proficient in same scheme. That’s why J. Huntley was a big favorite even as a UDFA . Lamar goes out and you barely missed a beat.

Minshew can play it but not a threat to the extent of busting big runs but athletic enough to move the chains & take the extra wear & tear. Ideally if Philly commits to keeping Hurts around they go get a young guy like Liberty’s QB as-camp guy to push & learn on the job . Should be able to get him w/ one of the later 1sts or maybe even 2nd rd pick. Build youth core on defense instead of mortgaging the future for a Watson or Wilson. Doubt Wilson would even go to Philly with his fragile ego. Iggles fans would chew him up & spit him out if things went bad early. Watson can’t be as choosy so he might jump @ first offer instead of holding out for his ideal choice(s)

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:53 pm

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:54 pm

He is not good (in real life)

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm

Great fantasy QB, awful real life QB.

Sell. But he was a sell for me anyways just like Lamar has been since his monster season. Running QB's with limited ability to throw the ball don't last long in the game.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm

Bad NFL QB with a bad coaching staff.

He needs to improve all aspects of his passing game.

Can he run with his legs? Yes
Can he put up good fantasy numbers? Yes
Is he going to keep a starting job in the NFL? Not a long one. Maybe eagles keep him as the starter next year, or maybe they draft a QB in the first round or use some their capital to get a better one.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm

DJB wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm Great fantasy QB, awful real life QB.

Sell. But he was a sell for me anyways just like Lamar has been since his monster season. Running QB's with limited ability to throw the ball don't last long in the game.
This, eventually the run threat starts to fall off and you have to make the throws.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:29 pm

Have to give credit to fantasyfreak, you've been right on Hurts all year. His arm just isn't close to ready to compete in this type of game, and probably never will be.

Even as an Eagles fan I'm glad I sold Hurts while I could.