TJ Hockenson thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

TJ Hockenson thread

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:00 am

Making a Hock specific thread.

He blew up beginning of 2021 with little WR target competition, comeback/garbage script and Goff's conservative tendency.

Week 3, they face Baltimore. After getting ripped 2 consecutive weeks by Waller and Kelce, they put the clamps on Hockenson.

Week 1- 11 targets, 97 yards and a TD
Week 2- 9 targets, 66 yards, 1 TD
Week 3- 2 targets, 10 yards, 0 TD

I'll be curious if Baltimore created a scheme other teams can replicate to sideline/marginalize Hock.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: TJ Hockenson thread

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:06 am

It wasn't necessarily Baltimore's D. I don't think Hock is going to ball out every week, or even most weeks. I like Hockenson as much as any of the eight 3rd tier TEs (Waller/Kelce are 1st, Kittle is 2nd). He'll have his boom games and his bust games, and he'll end the season in the general vicinity of 650-750yds/5-8TDs.

There are only two actual stud TEs. There is a third who has potential (talent+situation) to get close to them, but never puts in a season's worth of work. I've come to accept that every TE on the next level is interchangeable. Andrews is in that bunch. Hock is in that bunch. Fant is in that bunch. None of them will produce as much as a healthy Kittle, much less the big2. Sad but true - owning Hock/Fant/Andrews is the same as owning Gesicki/Logan/Shultz. The only possible exception I see this year is Gronk.

All of us who don't have one of the big2 should accept our TE fate of week-to-week uncertainty. That means a lot of :crazy: :wall: :pray: :doh: :x and an occasional :dance:
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:45 pm

Just glad Hockenson has his own thread. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:06 am It wasn't necessarily Baltimore's D. I don't think Hock is going to ball out every week, or even most weeks. I like Hockenson as much as any of the eight 3rd tier TEs (Waller/Kelce are 1st, Kittle is 2nd). He'll have his boom games and his bust games, and he'll end the season in the general vicinity of 650-750yds/5-8TDs.

There are only two actual stud TEs. There is a third who has potential (talent+situation) to get close to them, but never puts in a season's worth of work. I've come to accept that every TE on the next level is interchangeable. Andrews is in that bunch. Hock is in that bunch. Fant is in that bunch. None of them will produce as much as a healthy Kittle, much less the big2. Sad but true - owning Hock/Fant/Andrews is the same as owning Gesicki/Logan/Shultz. The only possible exception I see this year is Gronk.

All of us who don't have one of the big2 should accept our TE fate of week-to-week uncertainty. That means a lot of :crazy: :wall: :pray: :doh: :x and an occasional :dance:
Hock>Kittle

Not really close for me either in the league I own both

Comparing to scrubs like Gesicki is just disrespectful

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:49 pm

I expect him to be TE3 this year so he needs to step it up a bit.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:37 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 pm
Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:06 am It wasn't necessarily Baltimore's D. I don't think Hock is going to ball out every week, or even most weeks. I like Hockenson as much as any of the eight 3rd tier TEs (Waller/Kelce are 1st, Kittle is 2nd). He'll have his boom games and his bust games, and he'll end the season in the general vicinity of 650-750yds/5-8TDs.

Hock>Kittle

Gesicki and Mark Andrews are identical producers. What do you think about Andrews?

Hock is a tier above both though, I agree.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:34 pm

Hock: Tar 101, Rec 67, Yds 723, TD 6
Gesicki: Tar 85, Rec 53, Yds 703, TD 6
Andrews: Tar 88, Rec 58, Yds 701, TD 7

2021 so far
Hock: Tar 22, Rec 18, Yds 173, TD 2
Gesicki: Tar 31, Rec 13, Yds 127, TD 0
Andrews: Tar 17, Rec 13, Yds 186, TD 0

The numbers from 2020 look eerily similar. Hock had slightly higher targets, but his production was basically the same.

The 2021 numbers gives Hock a slight edge in TDs so far, but I'll bet they end up as close as last year in TDs. Gesicki has 50% more targets than Hock, but as with the TDs I expect that to average out closer to the other two by the end of the season.

Looking at the facts, it makes little sense to target any of these guys 5 rounds before another of these guys. Hype and hope are not the best indicators.

Stats don't lie.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 am

Anteaters wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:34 pm 2020
Gesicki: Tar 85, Rec 53, Yds 703, TD 6
Andrews: Tar 88, Rec 58, Yds 701, TD 7

2021 so far
Gesicki: Tar 31, Rec 13, Yds 127, TD 0
Andrews: Tar 17, Rec 13, Yds 186, TD 0

The numbers from 2020 look eerily similar. Hock had slightly higher targets, but his production was basically the same.

The 2021 numbers gives Hock a slight edge in TDs so far, but I'll bet they end up as close as last year in TDs. Gesicki has 50% more targets than Hock, but as with the TDs I expect that to average out closer to the other two by the end of the season.

Looking at the facts, it makes little sense to target any of these guys 5 rounds before another of these guys. Hype and hope are not the best indicators.

Stats don't lie.
Now put up Hockenson, Kittle and Waller's stats from this year

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:56 am

PR0v3 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:37 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 pm

Hock>Kittle

Gesicki and Mark Andrews are identical producers. What do you think about Andrews?

Hock is a tier above both though, I agree.
Not a ton. He isn't someone I'd ever target in dynasty startups or redraft and he'd be a clear tier below Hock

But I still rate him above Gesicki because he hasn't been as dependent on WR injuries to produce (Gesicki's splits the last two years with and without Preston Williams are not good) and there is some upside as 2019 showed that he can pop in the TDs department and the Ravens passing volume is so low that there is pretty much nowhere to go but up

That said post Bateman I was still on the sell Andrews bandwagon and with him coming back I think it's as good a time as any to try to again

Paying an premium price for Andrews (except in TE premium) is--in most cases--paying to feel better about your TE spot

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 am Now put up Hockenson, Kittle and Waller's stats from this year
Kittle: Tar 63, Rec 48, Yds 634, TD 2
Waller: Tar 145, Rec 107, Tds 1196, TD 9

Kittle: Tar 18, Rec 15, Yds 187, TD 0
Waller: Tar 33, Rec 20, Yds 224, TD 1

What's telling is that in half the 2020 games Hock played, Kittle had nearly as many yards because of a much higher ypc and a better catch %. Also, in 2021, Kittle's catch % is far above Hock's catch %. Once again, in 2021 Kittle has a higher ypc than Hock.

Waller is clearly several levels above Hock - no one would dispute that. There is not a soul in the fantasy football world that would give up Waller straight up to get Hock. Notice Waller has 50% more targets than Hock (in both '20 and '21) indicating his relative higher importance in their teams' offensive gameplans.

Waller >> Kittlle > Hock.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am

Anteaters wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 am Now put up Hockenson, Kittle and Waller's stats from this year

What's telling is that in half the 2020 games Hock played, Kittle had nearly as many yards because of a much higher ypc and a better catch %. Also, in 2021, Kittle's catch % is far above Hock's catch %. Once again, in 2021 Kittle has a higher ypc than Hock.

Waller is clearly several levels above Hock - no one would dispute that. There is not a soul in the fantasy football world that would give up Waller straight up to get Hock. Notice Waller has 50% more targets than Hock (in both '20 and '21) indicating his relative higher importance in their teams' offensive gameplans.

Of course there is. The two are within 2% of each other on KTC which means plenty of people on there are ranking Hock above Waller.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:38 am

Vcize wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am
Anteaters wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:38 am

Of course there is. The two are within 2% of each other on KTC which means plenty of people on there are ranking Hock above Waller.
For sure. Especially when you consider age. Waller is a beast, but I wouldn't fault anybody for taking Hock due to the age gap. I'd take Hock over Kittle, myself. I think he outscores him this year, and is significantly younger.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:53 am

I think a lot of people would prefer Kittle, but I'd take Hock over Kittle because of injury concerns.

Gotta say I'm a little surprised anyone thinks Hock is a better value than Waller. More than a little surprised. Even with the age difference, Waller has proven he is so much better. If I'm trying to win, I don't see how I wouldn't prefer 2 seasons of Waller to 5 good-not-great seasons of Hock.

Honest questions for the Hock fans - do you really think Hock is going to start averaging ~100 receptions/yr and 1100-1200 yds/yr? Do you really think that his numbers are not at risk for season-over-season decrease because of being in a new offense headed by a new coach with a lesser QB?

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic or what not. Just trying to understand why Hock is viewed as significantly better than any other TE4-10?

I don't think Hock is garbage. I think he's a very good TE. Just trying to understand why some people have him far ahead in 3yr projections compared to Goedert/Fant/Gesicki/Andrews/etc. What is it about Hock's situation+talent that puts him on a trajectory to match stats with Waller/Kelce? I must be missing something and with the relatively low values on Hock in my leagues (compared to the TEs I think are elite, Kelce/Waller,) I'd love to have a reason to pick him up cheap.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:03 pm

Anteaters wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:53 am I think a lot of people would prefer Kittle, but I'd take Hock over Kittle because of injury concerns.

Gotta say I'm a little surprised anyone thinks Hock is a better value than Waller. More than a little surprised. Even with the age difference, Waller has proven he is so much better. If I'm trying to win, I don't see how I wouldn't prefer 2 seasons of Waller to 5 good-not-great seasons of Hock.

Honest questions for the Hock fans - do you really think Hock is going to start averaging ~100 receptions/yr and 1100-1200 yds/yr? Do you really think that his numbers are not at risk for season-over-season decrease because of being in a new offense headed by a new coach with a lesser QB?

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic or what not. Just trying to understand why Hock is viewed as significantly better than any other TE4-10?

I don't think Hock is garbage. I think he's a very good TE. Just trying to understand why some people have him far ahead in 3yr projections compared to Goedert/Fant/Gesicki/Andrews/etc. What about Hock's situation+talent puts him on a trajectory to match stats with Waller/Kelce? I must be missing something and with the relatively low values on Hock (compared to the guys I think are elite, Kelce/Waller,) I'd love to have a reason to pick him up cheap.
You seem to think that the elite TE tier is fixed and no one can ever enter or exit it

Most others seem to think this is the year Hock enters it. Early returns have only confirmed their belief

His advanced stats this year are also pure fire:

2nd among TEs in routes run, 2nd in slot snaps, 23.6% air yards share, 30.9% dominator rating, high PFF receiving grade in line with the elites at the position (besides Kelce)

I'd be 3-0 right now if I'd just started Hock every week in the league I have him and Kittle

Team will be throwing a lot and their WR room will take a long time to fix

I would not take over Waller though unless it's a full out rebuild like of an orphan

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks for the response.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser