Elijah Mitchell thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Elijah Mitchell thread

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 pm

The MAC Machine wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:26 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:34 am Counterpoint: if you need your 4th round pick to contend you aren't actually built to contend
I think this is faulty thinking. What does it mean to be "built to contend"? A team full of studs? Teams that are built to win not only have solid players, but they have valuable depth pieces in case of injury. Teams that are built to contend are the ones who after the dust settles can field a competitive team. Things change year over year, and week over week. And contenders are usually teams that put themselves in the best position to adjust and win despite injuries and underperformance.
Not at all a team full of studs

An RB group of one superstud (say Dalvin Cook), one promising young RB2 with potential for more (say D'Andre Swift), a few backfilled starters (say Damien Harris, Myles Gaskin and Mike Davis) and a bunch of handcuffs ready to pop in the event of an injury to a different team's starter or pieces in an ambiguous backfield (say Tony Jones, Marlon Mack and Ty Johnson) is "built to win"

It does not need a day 3 lottery ticket to be its RB2

If you need a day 3 lottery ticket to be your RB2 you aren't actually built to win

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:24 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:34 am Counterpoint: if you need your 4th round pick to contend you aren't actually built to contend
I think this is faulty thinking. What does it mean to be "built to contend"? A team full of studs? Teams that are built to win not only have solid players, but they have valuable depth pieces in case of injury. Teams that are built to contend are the ones who after the dust settles can field a competitive team. Things change year over year, and week over week. And contenders are usually teams that put themselves in the best position to adjust and win despite injuries and underperformance.

An RB group of one superstud (say Dalvin Cook), one promising young RB2 with potential for more (say D'Andre Swift), a few backfilled starters (say Damien Harris, Myles Gaskin and Mike Davis) and a bunch of handcuffs ready to pop in the event of an injury to a different team's starter or pieces in an ambiguous backfield (say Tony Jones, Marlon Mack and Ty Johnson) is "built to win"

If you need a day 3 lottery ticket to be your RB2 you aren't actually built to win
Not many fantasy teams have 5 starting RB, unless you play in 6 or 8 team leagues... Replace some of the names above with a stud and a RB2 like Dobbins/Akers and random starter like Mostert and handcuffs like Gus Edwards and Mitchell. A month ago that was "built to win".

I don't see the point in debating what is built to win by who you picked where and how you use them. Mitchell was a handcuff in your scenario and now he's getting his shot. Whether you drafted him in the 2nd or 4th doesn't make a rebuilder or contender.

I literally won last year with JT and scrubs like Gaskin and Jeff Wilson and McKissic. I'm sure that wasn't built to win either.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Not many fantasy teams have 5 starting RB, unless you play in 6 or 8 team leagues... Replace some of the names above with a stud and a RB2 like Dobbins/Akers and random starter like Mostert and handcuffs like Gus Edwards and Mitchell. A month ago that was "built to win".

I don't see the point in debating what is built to win by who you picked where and how you use them. Mitchell was a handcuff in your scenario and now he's getting his shot. Whether you drafted him in the 2nd or 4th doesn't make a rebuilder or contender.

I literally won last year with JT and scrubs like Gaskin and Jeff Wilson and McKissic. I'm sure that wasn't built to win either.
In 10-12 team leagues it isn't really surprising to find contending teams with 4-5 starting RBs--obviously not 4-5 high end starters but still starters

Especially considering guys like Davis and Gaskin were waiver adds less than a full year ago

A 2023 2nd will accrue in value steadily and surely for years

Mitchell can have his shot any week. The path to fantasy success for 6th round picks is too narrow to not take a sure thing

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm

I am sure he will go for 100% of BB dollars in my redrafts and dynasty leagues that he is not already on a roster. Too many injuries at RB already and in my leagues there are no waivers until after week 1.
Last edited by Ice on Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:52 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:24 pm

In 10-12 team leagues it isn't really surprising to find contending teams with 4-5 starting RBs--obviously not 4-5 high end starters but still starters

Especially considering guys like Davis and Gaskin were waiver adds less than a full year ago

A 2023 2nd will accrue in value steadily and surely for years

Mitchell can have his shot any week. The path to fantasy success for 6th round picks is too narrow to not take a sure thing
Youll find very few teams like that, but it doesn't mean teams that aren't built that way can't compete..I feel like we're on an entirely different discussion now but I agree with most of this. Aside from the point that a 2023 2nd is a sure thing. You'd hope a RB you draft in the 2nd round gets handed this situation in week 1. I bet if people knew he would be active and get this opportunity, he would've shot up into the 1st round of rookie drafts and not Sermon. Which is funny because no ones paying a 1st for either now.

Most situations I agree with cashing out, but if you're contending and a player is useful, why sell for a 2nd 2 years out? I get that it accrues and I've done it on rebuilds, but 2nds are as much of a dart throw as Mitchell is now

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm I am sure he go for 100% of BB dollars in my redrafts and dynasty leagues that he is not already on a roster. Too many injuries at RB already and in my leagues there are no waivers until after week 1.
I was shocked to see him out there in a league after Sermon was declared inactive. I thought he was already rostered lol poor WW searching by me in the weeks prior I guess as I would have rostered him before the Sermon news.

Watch Sermon get the start next week and Shananigans continue

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm I am sure he will go for 100% of BB dollars in my redrafts and dynasty leagues that he is not already on a roster. Too many injuries at RB already and in my leagues there are no waivers until after week 1.
I'm bidding half at most in redraft. It may not get it done, but it's a long season and RB injuries are basically a guarantee.

Dibbles
MVP
MVP

Postby Dibbles » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm I am sure he will go for 100% of BB dollars in my redrafts and dynasty leagues that he is not already on a roster. Too many injuries at RB already and in my leagues there are no waivers until after week 1.
I'm bidding half at most in redraft. It may not get it done, but it's a long season and RB injuries are basically a guarantee.
I get it in redraft, but what are you bidding in dynasty leagues if you are a very strong contender at all positions except RB?

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:07 pm

Here's a move for any Elijah Mitchell yearners with an IR in their league...

Pickup Jeff Wilson this week for 1/10th the cost and stash him now that IR's are active post-cutdowns.

Grab yourself a Week 10 winner for free. The best player in this backfield is whoever is playing.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 pm

In one league, starting him over Barkley. Timeshare against Washington while still recovering has me looking for one week alternatives. In another,flexing him with Gallup on IR.

That said, I've been stashing Wilson on IR where he was on waivers.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:09 am

Dibbles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:10 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 pm
I get it in redraft, but what are you bidding in dynasty leagues if you are a very strong contender at all positions except RB?
He wasn't a free agent in any leagues

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:56 am

mild wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:07 pm Here's a move for any Elijah Mitchell yearners with an IR in their league...

Pickup Jeff Wilson this week for 1/10th the cost and stash him now that IR's are active post-cutdowns.

Grab yourself a Week 10 winner for free. The best player in this backfield is whoever is playing.
So roster all the SF RBs and hope you are starting the right one that week?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:56 am
mild wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:07 pm Here's a move for any Elijah Mitchell yearners with an IR in their league...

All? :wtf:

I think your are trying deliberately to make it sound much more complicated than it actually is. I agree though that there may be weeks were we are surpised. Perhaps even week 2 will bring some surprises.... But, it also seems quite possible that we see trends and will be able to observe the perfomance of these rb when their number is called. So far, RM is out for the year, Wilson is on IR for sevral more weeks and Sermon was a week one healthy scratch. It is now a 50/50 proposition with Serman and Mitchell. So far, Sermon was a healthy scratch and Mitchell blew up with his first opportunity.

Again, it isn't as complecated as some hint toward.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

CubfanAA
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CubfanAA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:35 am

JFever wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 am

All? :wtf:

I think your are trying deliberately to make it sound much more complicated than it actually is. I agree though that there may be weeks were we are surpised. Perhaps even week 2 will bring some surprises.... But, it also seems quite possible that we see trends and will be able to observe the perfomance of these rb when their number is called. So far, RM is out for the year, Wilson is on IR for sevral more weeks and Sermon was a week one healthy scratch. It is now a 50/50 proposition with Serman and Mitchell. So far, Sermon was a healthy scratch and Mitchell blew up with his first opportunity.

Again, it isn't as complecated as some hint toward.
Especially when Shanahan isn't Belichick despite what some people think. He has never been one to switch out his starting RB giving somebody 25 carries one week and 2 carries the next then 19 the next. He has switched RBs a lot, but due to injuries not his random whim that week. My guess is it's Mitchells job to lose for at least the next several weeks and then we will see if Shanahan sees Wilson as top of the depth chart with Mostert out or not and should figure that out pretty soon after Wilson becomes healthy. Hasty is clearly behind Mitchell or he would have gotten more than 2 carries last week. Sermon was a healthy scratch last week. This really doesn't seem that complicated. Unless Sermon was only a healthy scratch last week because of unrelated issues we dont know about or completely due to special teams needs this is pretty clear cut and we will find out those answers this weekend.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:52 am

You don't have to start anyone. Just roster one of them and wait for the volatility. Jeff Wilson was a league winner last season after Breida was traded, and Mostert and McKinnon both went down. Wilson himself was injured too.

The best 49ers RB is the one who is playing. None of them are special unless they are playing. Mitchell, Hasty, Sermon, and Wilson all have the upside to win you a league.

Hell, go pick up Kerryon while you're at it.