Kadarius Toney Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kadarius Toney Thread

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:25 pm

I haven't been playing dynasty for that long but has there ever been a 1st round pick that everyone (myself included) just knew was trash from the minute drafted and had no expectations for

Even bad production scrubs from years past like Henry Ruggs, John Ross and all the "next Tyreek Hills" that have come along had their truthers and advocated--but not Toney

The preseason/training camp seems to have furthered all of this as well.

For anyone who has played for longer have you seen a case like Toney?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Kadarius Toney Thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Not sure you an dismiss Ruggs after 1 year, or compare him to Ross. Obviously you hate all things Raiders, but to call him a scrub is clearly biased. He was 4th all time (2 behind Jeudy) in receiving TD's at Bama in only 3 seasons.

Toney, in the right system, could be a good player. Not sure the Giants are it. Judge, and Garrett, aren't good at what they do. Jacksonville would have been much better for him. I could see Toney being a Percy Harvin type player, if he's used properly. To say he's trash before he's played, is getting a bit ahead of things. The guy was super productive last year in the SEC, both as a receiver, and runner. Not to mention his special teams abilities. The guy could be a good contributor on an NFL team, I don't get the hate. Perhaps he was over drafted, but time will tell on that.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:40 pm

Brandon Aiyuk , late breakout and only 1 year of production. Both built more like Rb's and good with the ball after the catch and in the open field. Not saying he comes out and has a year like Aiyuk did but I can draw some comparisons.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:48 pm

KingsKing wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:40 pm Brandon Aiyuk , late breakout and only 1 year of production. Both built more like Rb's and good with the ball after the catch and in the open field. Not saying he comes out and has a year like Aiyuk did but I can draw some comparisons.
Aiyuk also dropped the way Toney did in rookie drafts. As I said earlier, Toney, if he is used right, could be like another ex Gator, Harvin. Same type of swiss army knife type guy. Super explosive with the ball, and can really make some guys miss in tight quarters.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:50 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:48 pm
KingsKing wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:40 pm Brandon Aiyuk , late breakout and only 1 year of production. Both built more like Rb's and good with the ball after the catch and in the open field. Not saying he comes out and has a year like Aiyuk did but I can draw some comparisons.
Aiyuk also dropped the way Toney did in rookie drafts. As I said earlier, Toney, if he is used right, could be like another ex Gator, Harvin. Same type of swiss army knife type guy. Super explosive with the ball, and can really make some guys miss in tight quarters.
Agreed, unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith the Giants are the creative team to use him that way .

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:38 pm Not sure you an dismiss Ruggs after 1 year, or compare him to Ross. Obviously you hate all things Raiders, but to call him a scrub is clearly biased. He was 4th all time (2 behind Jeudy) in receiving TD's at Bama in only 3 seasons.

Toney, in the right system, could be a good player. Not sure the Giants are it. Judge, and Garrett, aren't good at what they do. Jacksonville would have been much better for him. I could see Toney being a Percy Harvin type player, if he's used properly. To say he's trash before he's played, is getting a bit ahead of things. The guy was super productive last year in the SEC, both as a receiver, and runner. Not to mention his special teams abilities. The guy could be a good contributor on an NFL team, I don't get the hate. Perhaps he was over drafted, but time will tell on that.
Not true at all. Darren Waller is a stud and is still underrated by the dynasty community (and redraft as well). I've been snagging him in the early 2nd of redraft leagues

Derek Carr is an underrated and overhated QB who has been saddled with awful defenses for years

Ruggs is a scrub because I can't fathom how a player plays three years with NFL QBs and can't even break out or hit a 20% dominator

TDs are a fluky and unpredictable stat--his yardage share of the Alabama offense was godawful over and over again. He's compared to Ross because both can do nothing but run fast in a straight line and got called "the next Tyreek Hill" like all the other scrubs who can do nothing but run fast in a straight line (including unforunately our own unproductive bum Mecole Hardman)

But anyways back to Toney--I'm not just saying my thoughts:

It's hard to find any optimism for him at a time when rookie optimism is at an all time high--even among Giants fans (not just analytics fantasy types)

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Same. I wrote off Aiyuk a little too much on the analytics side but he was a JUCO transfer so I guess there's exceptions.

He's a mid 2nd pick and that's pretty good value for a 1st rounder most of the time.

I'm sure some people will come on and defend Toney. I think he's reasonably priced, but I would've thought people would be higher on him. I guess that is to Stripes original point though, he's quieter than than Ruggs/Reagor of last year.

I had him rated around this range pre-draft as he was a Senior breakout and the odds aren't good on those having success. A big strength is his athleticism. However, one of my main questions is always, why couldn't he break out sooner with said athleticism?

Oh and the NYG situation isn't one I'm looking fondly at. I think Jones is a bust and they are looking at a QB change (maybe coaching as well?) next year.
Last edited by Jigga94 on Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:55 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:48 pm
Aiyuk would be a comparison I guess but even then he had the Kyle Shanahan factor without all the negative camp buzz

He dropped by 1st round WR standards but there was still a lot of hope from his fans, 49er fans--I recall the coaching staff gushing over him as the next Isaac Bruce, etc

Toney has been disregarded from the minute the pick was announced (and before with that analytical profile)

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:55 pm
Same. I wrote off Aiyuk a little too much on the analytics side but he was a JUCO transfer so I guess there's exceptions.

I don't know how Stripes came to the fact that everyone thinks Toney is trash. He's a mid 2nd pick and that's pretty good value for a 1st rounder most of the time.

I'm sure some people will come on and defend Toney. I think he's reasonably priced, but I would've thought people would be higher on him. I had him rated around this range pre-draft as he was a Senior breakout and the odds aren't good on those having success. A big strength is his athleticism. However, one of my main questions is always, why couldn't he break out sooner with said athleticism?

Oh and the NYG situation isn't one I'm looking fondly at. I think Jones is a bust and they are looking at a QB change (maybe coaching as well?) next year.
His preseason/training camp buzz (or buzzkill I should say). His rookie draft ADP has fallen since March and I've seen him go into the 3rd (which is what prompted me to ask this)

I've never seen this for a 1st round pick before

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:58 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:55 pm

I don't know how Stripes came to the fact that everyone thinks Toney is trash. He's a mid 2nd pick and that's pretty good value for a 1st rounder most of the time.

I'm sure some people will come on and defend Toney. I think he's reasonably priced, but I would've thought people would be higher on him. I had him rated around this range pre-draft as he was a Senior breakout and the odds aren't good on those having success. A big strength is his athleticism. However, one of my main questions is always, why couldn't he break out sooner with said athleticism?

His preseason/training camp buzz (or buzzkill I should say). His rookie draft ADP has fallen since March and I've seen him go into the 3rd (which is what prompted me to ask this)

I've never seen this for a 1st round pick before
I edited my post to omit that part just now. I read the OP a little wrong.

I'm in agreement. He's almost become a value as a guy I thought I would never be drafting

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:58 pm

Urban Meyer Wanted Toney but was stuck with Etienne after the giants took him . I'm not sure what to think of Meyer as an NFL coach but I would have preferred that landing spot.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:27 am

I get the analytics folks and knocking Toney for a senior year breakout.
But I do find it odd the analytic folks completely dismiss his talent as a junior when he literally took his first touch, on the Gators first drive, on a screen pass, and impressively ran for a 66 yard TD;

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/flori ... ld-td-run/

Toney would have been a day 2 NFL pick on this play alone! Toney completely makes an open field defender miss, while he is engaged with another defender., Very impressive. Then he proceeds to break tackles from two more defenders.
Then he hurt his shoulder and it derailed his junior season.

Toney skill is undeniable. The only question is if he'll transition that to be a volume NFL WR.
And in regards to his situation, there's is very little in his path on the Giants that would prevent Toney from playing. He just needs to develop.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:40 am

Toney's fall in ADP has happened before, can't add any more names off of memory though.

There have been so many "offensive weapon" players that get off-season hype because of projected catches and rushes, then they flop from a fantasy football perspective. Percy Harvin is the only real hit.

We had to endure several seasons of hype about Tavon Austin, Antwaan Randle El, etc. I think the dynasty community has caught on to how rarely those guys work out.

As for Toney, his ADP has fallen far enough that I got him at pick 25 recently. I'm not excited about him, but I'll take an NFL first round WR at that spot and hope the Giants know what they're doing.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:55 am

Considered him at 3.3, but took Gage instead. He dropped even further and wasn’t drafted until 3.7
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:43 pm

I still trust NFL draft capital. I think he is going to bust but it's easy to be wrong at this point. I can't believe he is dropping to the 3rd round. That's silly and foolish. They are all dart throws by the end of the 2nd, why not take a chance on an NFL 1st rounder with ridiculous athleticism. If he makes a big splash play, his value goes up way faster than say an Amari Rodgers or Tutu Atwell.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5