Mike Strachan...hype or real deal?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Mike Strachan...hype or real deal?

Postby mild » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:40 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 am I rarely use non-early round capital for actual rookie drafts. I tend to use them in package trades.
I guess this helps me understand the other side of the arguement better. I tend to covet draft picks and the ability to try and nab a faller in rookie drafts over just throwing them in a trade. Just different philosophies, no right answer
And the great thing is a future Draft Pick doesn't take up any space on your roster. He's already on to the next hottest sleeper on the waiver wire. Rinse, repeat, send DJ Chark + two 3rds for Jerry Jeudy. Magical.

Hey Orenthal, who'd you add as a replacement? My guess is Tony Jones 8-)

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pm

mild wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:05 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 am I rarely use non-early round capital for actual rookie drafts. I tend to use them in package trades.
I guess this helps me understand the other side of the arguement better. I tend to covet draft picks and the ability to try and nab a faller in rookie drafts over just throwing them in a trade. Just different philosophies, no right answer
And the great thing is a future Draft Pick doesn't take up any space on your roster. He's already on to the next hottest sleeper on the waiver wire. Rinse, repeat, send DJ Chark + two 3rds for Jerry Jeudy. Magical.

Most all owners won’t swap players (especially downgrades) simply for thirds. Most won’t downgrade even for a 2nd. And most leagues I’m in, three third rounders often isn’t enough to even buy a second rounder.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pm Most all owners won’t swap players (especially downgrades) simply for thirds. Most won’t downgrade even for a 2nd. And most leagues I’m in, three third rounders often isn’t enough to even buy a second rounder.
Run with the overall point, not the specific example that I most definitely made up and pulled out of my butt to illustrate it. (And kudos to your league, but you KNOW I could go find worse trades on the DLF trade finder if I wanted to)

The point is - accruing waiver fodder players that suddenly spike in value and immediately cashing out - yes, you might miss on them breaking out into proper pieces - but you're also passing on the risk, and allowing yourself the roster space to start the whole game over again as a speculator. Like I said - we're obsessive enough to be on a forum about this stuff. There will be more Michael Strachan's this year on the waiver wire, of this I have zero doubt.

That 3rd round pick he got for Strachan might be the sweetener that tips a major deal over the line into getting done in the future. Or not. But the point is, he has that extra capital for usage at any date up until the draft is due, at no further cost to his roster size - he's ready to go out and find the next guy now. Stacking picks like this is the "shadow currency" of dynasty. It's a major avenue to getting ahead long term.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 pm

mild wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Valhalla wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pm Most all owners won’t swap players (especially downgrades) simply for thirds. Most won’t downgrade even for a 2nd. And most leagues I’m in, three third rounders often isn’t enough to even buy a second rounder.
Run with the overall point, not the specific example that I most definitely made up and pulled out of my butt to illustrate it. (And kudos to your league, but you KNOW I could go find worse trades on the DLF trade finder if I wanted to)

The point is - accruing waiver fodder players that suddenly spike in value and immediately cashing out - yes, you might miss on them breaking out into proper pieces - but you're also passing on the risk, and allowing yourself the roster space to start the whole game over again as a speculator. Like I said - we're obsessive enough to be on a forum about this stuff. There will be more Michael Strachan's this year on the waiver wire, of this I have zero doubt.

That 3rd round pick he got for Strachan might be the sweetener that tips a major deal over the line into getting done in the future. Or not. But the point is, he has that extra capital for usage at any date up until the draft is due, at no further cost to his roster size - he's ready to go out and find the next guy now. Stacking picks like this is the "shadow currency" of dynasty. It's a major avenue to getting ahead long term.
Exactly. So far this offseason, you may have been able to sell Xavier Jones and Javien Hawkins for third rounders off hype columns and potential opportunity. Free money.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:43 pm

Scooped TJ and Dax Milne. On to the next one *Swizz Beatz voice*
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Exactly. So far this offseason, you may have been able to sell Xavier Jones and Javien Hawkins for third rounders off hype columns and potential opportunity. Free money.
Straight cash homie
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Straight cash homie
Yep. With Jones, even if you couldn't sell, you may get a secondary opportunity mid season when one of, or both Henderson and Michel are injured.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:51 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:43 pm Scooped TJ and Dax Milne. On to the next one *Swizz Beatz voice*
Not just a wise man, but a man of TASTE too... very nice. That's a Producer's producer, right there. 8-)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:50 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Straight cash homie
Yep. With Jones, even if you couldn't sell, you may get a secondary opportunity mid season when one of, or both Henderson and Michel are injured.
Precisely. It's a constant cycle. We've all played dynasty for a long time and we can all name a laundry list of undrafted sleepers who had offseason hype and never did anything noteworthy in their careers. Sure, you might miss out on Arian Foster, Victor Cruz, or Antonio Gates in the process (nothing is perfect), but you will be right a hell of a lot more than you're wrong.

There is someone on waivers right now who will be worth a 3rd or better during the season. Shoutout to the guy that flipped Travis Fulgham for Mike Evans. Shotout to the people who sold Branden "the next Darren Sproles" Oliver when they had the chance. Charcandrick West anyone? What's Marcell Ateman and Marquess Wilson up to these days?

It's freaking clockwork.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:20 pm

To me, the trick is figuring when the sell point is and what value to get. JRob and Fulgham were both examples last year. I held Robinson throughout the first half of last season as he secured a bellcow role and was very productive with those touches, until I eventually sold for picks and youth. Didn't have that luck w Fulgham, should've been more aggressive trying to deal him when he popped.

Depending on the league and roster, I could see waiting until I can get a 2nd. I'm not certain now is the sell point for Strachan.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:20 pm To me, the trick is figuring when the sell point is and what value to get. JRob and Fulgham were both examples last year. I held Robinson throughout the first half of last season as he secured a bellcow role and was very productive with those touches, until I eventually sold for picks and youth. Didn't have that luck w Fulgham, should've been more aggressive trying to deal him when he popped.

Depending on the league and roster, I could see waiting until I can get a 2nd. I'm not certain now is the sell point for Strachan.
Agreement there; that is most certainly the trick. And it's different for every player, and this is where our skill as dynasty managers + a little bit of luck comes in.

My current "panning for gold in the gutter" man-crush pickup Marquez Callaway comes to mind. There's no doubt to me that he's about to experience a very fast September ADP rise, simply through targets and lack of competition (health and Payton permitting). Easy hold.

Fair enough if you think Strachan is a similar hold, but I see far more questions for his outlook. But that's why we play the game! We're about to have the rubber seriously hit the road and come colliding hard with the brick walls of reality on lots of these situations... reducing your risk whilst giving your roster more wiggle room for the Week 1 waiver wire rush is always recommended imo.

BTW, just an addendum on this subject - but I made one of my all-time favourite trades this offseason for exactly this reason... I sent Austin Ekeler, Chase Edmonds, and Jonnu Smith - for Kyle Pitts.

The best part? I grabbed every single one of those players off of the waiver wire. Quite literally a water-into-wine trade, years of waiver grind in the making. That's what it looks like when being proactive on the wire works out... but you've got to have the space to burn-and-churn players in the first place. If someone is giving you an "out" on a prospect for a pick, then that's got additional value to it at this time of year - especially with cutdowns in lots of leagues this weekend, plus the Week 1 waiver wire.

It's the hidden valuation of always trying to roll your roster upwards into "Stars and Scrubs". Flexibility to speculate has worth, and we barely talk about it.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:43 pm

Scooped TJ and Dax Milne. On to the next one *Swizz Beatz voice*
Yall should be afraid of what he's gonna do next

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:18 am

murphysxm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:40 pm
Rondalebaby wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:36 pm
murphysxm wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:38 am

The Miami Dolphins are valued at $3.42 billion dollars. If you think 10M+ matters, you need to change your lenses. Everybody is expendable, performance wins in the long term
There’s this thing called the salary cap.
A. they are well under the cap. B. This actually means they would be more motivated to move on from a Parker or a Fuller that are counting higher against the cap then a low salary player perfoming at similiar levels.
A. The point is generalised, not specific to the Dolphins. B. The dead money counts anyway whether they move on or not (ie Fuller), which is the point.

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:54 am

mild wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:20 pm To me, the trick is figuring when the sell point is and what value to get. JRob and Fulgham were both examples last year. I held Robinson throughout the first half of last season as he secured a bellcow role and was very productive with those touches, until I eventually sold for picks and youth. Didn't have that luck w Fulgham, should've been more aggressive trying to deal him when he popped.

Agreement there; that is most certainly the trick. And it's different for every player, and this is where our skill as dynasty managers + a little bit of luck comes in.

My current "panning for gold in the gutter" man-crush pickup Marquez Callaway comes to mind. There's no doubt to me that he's about to experience a very fast September ADP rise, simply through targets and lack of competition (health and Payton permitting). Easy hold.

Fair enough if you think Strachan is a similar hold, but I see far more questions for his outlook. But that's why we play the game! We're about to have the rubber seriously hit the road and come colliding hard with the brick walls of reality on lots of these situations... reducing your risk whilst giving your roster more wiggle room for the Week 1 waiver wire rush is always recommended imo.

BTW, just an addendum on this subject - but I made one of my all-time favourite trades this offseason for exactly this reason... I sent Austin Ekeler, Chase Edmonds, and Jonnu Smith - for Kyle Pitts.

The best part? I grabbed every single one of those players off of the waiver wire. Quite literally a water-into-wine trade, years of waiver grind in the making. That's what it looks like when being proactive on the wire works out... but you've got to have the space to burn-and-churn players in the first place. If someone is giving you an "out" on a prospect for a pick, then that's got additional value to it at this time of year - especially with cutdowns in lots of leagues this weekend, plus the Week 1 waiver wire.

It's the hidden valuation of always trying to roll your roster upwards into "Stars and Scrubs". Flexibility to speculate has worth, and we barely talk about it.
Oh man, I remember trading Drew Lock for DK Metcalf after grabbing Lock off the scrap heap.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

PPE82
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby PPE82 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:24 am

Nice stat line in yesterday’s game. Didn’t see any of it. How did he look?
Team 1
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-6RB, 2-6WR, 1-5TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Kyler Murray, Rudolph, Brissett, Brady
Keaton Mitchell, scrubs
Jefferson, Lamb, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Dotson, Josh Palmer, Rashid Shaheed, Toney, Justyn Ross, Metchie, Ronnie Bell
Pitts, Likely
2024 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 2.09, 4.02, 4.12

Team 2
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-5RB, 3-6WR, 1-4TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Lawrence, Richardson, Young, Mac Jones, Lance, Brady, Bennnet, Haener
Bijan, Charbonnet, Strong Jr., scrubs
Wilson, Nacua, Flowers, Downs, Wicks, Renfrow, Ross, Bell, Metchie
Pitts, Woods
2024 Picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 1.11, 3.05, 3.06, 3.09, 4.02, 4.09