Saquon Barkley - Dynasty Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Saquon Barkley - Dynasty Discussion Thread

Postby thebeast » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:19 am

Ice wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 am Some players can't catch a break. Good chance the Giants don't resign him. He never seems to be available.

Then again they signed Golladay to a big contract and he only made it through 1 season while never having more than 70 receptions.
I think it depends on what happens with Gettelman. If he remains the Giant's GM that it is most likely that they resign Barkely.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 pm

thebeast wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:19 am
Ice wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 am Some players can't catch a break. Good chance the Giants don't resign him. He never seems to be available.

Then again they signed Golladay to a big contract and he only made it through 1 season while never having more than 70 receptions.
I think it depends on what happens with Gettelman. If he remains the Giant's GM that it is most likely that they resign Barkely.
This is exactly correct. Gettleman will want to double-down on his investment (sunk cost fallacy) into Barkley in an attempt to show it wasn't a bad decision. A new regime would probably be more objective in evaluating giving a mostly-injured RB a second contract.

I really hope Gettleman gets the axe, but it's beginning to look like a few of his decisions are paying off. ie. Toney and getting the Bears 2022 first. It shouldn't be enough to save him, given that he's put together the most bloated cap sheet in the league to miss the playoffs, but who knows.

I hope John Mara getting booed by the Giants fans at the Eli induction half time really stuck with him. That's most definitely where the fanbase headspace is at right now.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Given that Barkley has been injury prone does this potentially give him a longer career chance due to lack of tread on the tires? I'd want to use AP as a comparison, but AP was healthy throughout the earlier years and managed to prolong his career until being injured later on.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:28 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 pm Given that Barkley has been injury prone does this potentially give him a longer career chance due to lack of tread on the tires? I'd want to use AP as a comparison, but AP was healthy throughout the earlier years and managed to prolong his career until being injured later on.
I'd much rather him be out there taking hits to his shoulders and whatnot than have a guy who is so reliant on his cuts repeatedly picking up ankle and knee injuries which heal weaker every time they get hurt.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Vcize wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:28 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 pm Given that Barkley has been injury prone does this potentially give him a longer career chance due to lack of tread on the tires? I'd want to use AP as a comparison, but AP was healthy throughout the earlier years and managed to prolong his career until being injured later on.
I'd much rather him be out there taking hits to his shoulders and whatnot than have a guy who is so reliant on his cuts repeatedly picking up ankle and knee injuries which heal weaker every time they get hurt.
Yeah, I mean "tread on the tires" IS in part being worn out by these injuries. A healthy body is the tread. Every time they suffer a significant injury, that's worn tread. It's not simply X amount of carries/touches. For instance, for a total hyperbolic comparison to make the point, you'd rather have JT level carries and health record in college than Lattimore level carries/touches and health record.

I'm not sure what YMDT is getting at, is he misusing the tread on the tires analogy? How does lack of tread prolong your career? Does he mean he has more tread because he's not playing as much? If that is the case, see the above.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 pmA healthy body is the tread. Every time they suffer a significant injury, that's worn tread. It's not simply X amount of carries/touches.
++

I'd much rather have a RB with a lot of carries who's never had more than one 3+week injury than a RB with fewer carries who has several 3+week injuries. Injuries that require months to recover from take a huge toll on a football player's ability to withstand the brutality of the sport.

I love Barkley as a talent and it seems like he is a genuinely good person. As a fantasy football manager, I'm not touching him. And if I was an NFL GM, I'm not giving him a big long term contract. I'll give him a big contract based on yardage incentives, but not one with free money.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

thebadferret
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby thebadferret » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 am

Sold him + Darnold for 3 firsts and Heinecke

Can't mentally handle having CMC and Barkley anymore and they don't even play while you think you have the best RB core in the league.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 am

I'm still holding. It hurts, but we saw "him" again before he went down.

When he's healthy, he is a rare athlete in the league, and a top 5 talent at his position. He also could still get better; I feel like we've seen flashes of him in the passing game that could still be unlocked - let's say, the Chiefs tell him to come ring chase next year, or something similar. DJ still hasn't fed him to the level that Checkdown Eli did.

There is still enough of a chance for him to go somewhere different next year that I want to wait it out. His situation can't be worse than it already is.

And my final thought, which led me to trade for him in the first place (1:1 trade for my McCaffrey share) was that I think he has the body to age into his later 20's and still not lose a step - like the AP's and Derrick Henry's and maybe even Frank Gores of the world. 90% of Saquon is still a tremendous player.

(For what it's worth I think Chubb might have that kind of athleticism too - where even if he ages a bit, he's still going to be a great play when he's out on the field. Those two guys, I'm willing to ride into the sunset (or at least a bit more)

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:33 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 pm
Vcize wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:28 pm
Yeah, I mean "tread on the tires" IS in part being worn out by these injuries. A healthy body is the tread. Every time they suffer a significant injury, that's worn tread. It's not simply X amount of carries/touches. For instance, for a total hyperbolic comparison to make the point, you'd rather have JT level carries and health record in college than Lattimore level carries/touches and health record.

I'm not sure what YMDT is getting at, is he misusing the tread on the tires analogy? How does lack of tread prolong your career? Does he mean he has more tread because he's not playing as much? If that is the case, see the above.
For lack of a better analogy here I'm going to use a tire reference. If a tire gets a nail stuck into it causing a flat you pull the nail and plug it. The tire still has the same amount of tread on it as it wasn't on the ground running during that time. There's less bruising, dings, etc allowing Barkley's body to heal up. Albeit his body is still aging and breaking down from time, but not as fast as if he were to be taking those hits.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:37 am

Father time puts more tread on tires than Terry Tate's pain time

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:33 am For lack of a better analogy here I'm going to use a tire reference. If a tire gets a nail stuck into it causing a flat you pull the nail and plug it. The tire still has the same amount of tread on it as it wasn't on the ground running during that time. There's less bruising, dings, etc allowing Barkley's body to heal up. Albeit his body is still aging and breaking down from time, but not as fast as if he were to be taking those hits.
A cut on his hand is comparable to a nail in a tire. An ACL is pouring gasoline on the tire, setting it on fire, and letting it burn long enough to warp the rubber.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:33 am For lack of a better analogy here I'm going to use a tire reference. If a tire gets a nail stuck into it causing a flat you pull the nail and plug it. The tire still has the same amount of tread on it as it wasn't on the ground running during that time. There's less bruising, dings, etc allowing Barkley's body to heal up. Albeit his body is still aging and breaking down from time, but not as fast as if he were to be taking those hits.
A cut on his hand is comparable to a nail in a tire. An ACL is pouring gasoline on the tire, setting it on fire, and letting it burn long enough to warp the rubber.
Should be nice and sticky to create some traction then?

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate the outlook.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:04 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 am Thanks for your input. I do appreciate the outlook.
:mrgreen: (sorry for the unpositive prediction. Just consider it one of the 469 things I'll get wrong this year)
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:04 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 am Thanks for your input. I do appreciate the outlook.
:mrgreen: (sorry for the unpositive prediction. Just consider it one of the 469 things I'll get wrong this year)
It's all good. Sometimes we need to hear the non-optimistic approaches to bring yourself back to reality. I keep wanting players to be what their potential is, but it seldom comes to fruition.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:38 am
I disagree on the ACL equating to a warped tire. The recovery rate for torn ACL is very high, whereas nobody is driving on a warped rubber tire.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league