General Dynasty Rebuild Strategies

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
gunzwil guinea pigs
Role Player
Role Player

General Dynasty Rebuild Strategies

Postby gunzwil guinea pigs » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Hi Guys

I am interested in general dynasty rebuild strategies and would love to hear your takes/strategies. In general I believe that you should try to win it every year, except if your chance to make it to playoffs is really low. In Playoffs, everything is possible. The year to year approach makes even more sense when you are able to trade for older but still producing players relatively cheap. But sometimes it goes south and you have to do a complete rebuild. How do you approach it?

For my team in signature i am rebuilding for 3 years now, 4 season coming up:
1) I sold every player of note for draft picks or 2nd/3rd year wideouts (Julio, Brees, Cam, Alshon, Hilton, ...).
2) whenever possible I tried to trade down a spot or two and acquire another 2nd next f.e. (2QB League helped for this approach for sure)
3) With my high picks, I always grabbed RBs as long as the value was there. As soon as they hit, I sold immediately (f.e. Fournette, CMC Chubb, etc.). In return I wanted big time draft capital and a WR with upside (Ridley 2 years ago, Diggs 3 years ago, but also James Washington, Mike Williams etc,). Here is important to note, that my legue mates don't trade for RB which are 25+ so you have to sell them really early but you can get a lot out of it...
4) with all the extra picks i drafted WR and more WR and more WR... only a few worked out though (Mc Laurin, Lamb) missed on Isabella, Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'quan and X others
5) I used my waiver prio for win now kind of players and tried to move them as quickly as possible
6) After I felt great about my WR depth (this year), I wanted go all in, but nobody sells me RBs even though a have lot of capital to pay :D
7) ... so i have to wait another year and draft a QB and 2 RBs with my picks... :geek:

So what do you think? In retrospective the results or the team rather in my case looks very good, do you agree?. But I threw crazy amounts of picks against the wall only to hit one late round WR of note (McLaurin). Furthermore, without Ridley or Diggs, the hole team wouldn't look that great either. So do you think it's a good way of approaching it? Very interested in your opinion :)
2QB-Dynasty - 10 Team standard scoring - 30man roster
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, K, D/ST

QB: Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Matthew Stafford, Mike White, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Marcus Mariota
RB: Breece Hall, Tony Pollard, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Rashaad Penny, Damien Harris
WR: CeDee Lamb, Garrett Wilson, Stefon Diggs, Devonta Smith, Terry McLaurin, George Pickens, Calvin Ridley, Zay Flowers, Robert Woods, John Metchie, Marvin Mims
TE: Kyle Pitts, Irv Smith, Trey McBride
K: Tyler Bass
D/ST: Browns, Washington, Packers

Picks 2024: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2026: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: General Dynasty Rebuild Strategies

Postby abloom » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm

This probably should be in the "Dynasty Team Advice" forum, but that being said:
gunzwil guinea pigs wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm Hi Guys

I am interested in general dynasty rebuild strategies and would love to hear your takes/strategies. In general I believe that you should try to win it every year, except if your chance to make it to playoffs is really low. In Playoffs, everything is possible. The year to year approach makes even more sense when you are able to trade for older but still producing players relatively cheap. But sometimes it goes south and you have to do a complete rebuild. How do you approach it?

For my team in signature i am rebuilding for 3 years now, 4 season coming up:
I think you are starting to see the problem here. I view dynasty a little different, my goal is to build a dynasty, multiple playoff appearances in a row, and hopfully multiple titles. Making the playoffs is nice, but it is often better to come in dead last than to be bounced in round 1. You get the same amount of money but you get a much worse pick.
1) I sold every player of note for draft picks or 2nd/3rd year wideouts (Julio, Brees, Cam, Alshon, Hilton, ...).
2) whenever possible I tried to trade down a spot or two and acquire another 2nd next f.e. (2QB League helped for this approach for sure)
Selling older vets is great in a rebuild. As is trying to accumulate more picks, however hitting on a second is much harder than hitting on a first. I'd be fine trading down if I have a tier of players I can still get, otherwise give me the higher pick.
3) With my high picks, I always grabbed RBs as long as the value was there. As soon as they hit, I sold immediately (f.e. Fournette, CMC Chubb, etc.). In return I wanted big time draft capital and a WR with upside (Ridley 2 years ago, Diggs 3 years ago, but also James Washington, Mike Williams etc,). Here is important to note, that my legue mates don't trade for RB which are 25+ so you have to sell them really early but you can get a lot out of it...
I tend to shade WR when rebuilding, but certainly if there is a market for young RBs, hitting on a rookie and selling immediately is great.
4) with all the extra picks i drafted WR and more WR and more WR... only a few worked out though (Mc Laurin, Lamb) missed on Isabella, Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'quan and X others
5) I used my waiver prio for win now kind of players and tried to move them as quickly as possible
6) After I felt great about my WR depth (this year), I wanted go all in, but nobody sells me RBs even though a have lot of capital to pay :D
well the question is, what RBs are you trying to get and who are you trying to get htem from. For teams that have been rebuilt with a strong WR and QB group, I look to acquire vet RBs that can get me RB2 seasons and then work on drafting rookies. Also contenders are less likely to trade you RBs as it just means more competition for them.
7) ... so i have to wait another year and draft a QB and 2 RBs with my picks... :geek:
So what do you think? In retrospective the results or the team rather in my case looks very good, do you agree?. But I threw crazy amounts of picks against the wall only to hit one late round WR of note (McLaurin). Furthermore, without Ridley or Diggs, the hole team wouldn't look that great either. So do you think it's a good way of approaching it? Very interested in your opinion :)
Well lets break down your team.

By standard i'm assuming you mean no PPR. Thats just going to put a bigger value on RBs. I like that its a true 2QB 10 team league. Combined that with non-ppr and the QBs get a decent value boost imo, especially the mobile ones.

QB: Joe Burrow, Matthew Stafford, Jalen Hurts, Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota
Looks okay. A compete now team looks fine, but if you start 0-2 or 0-3 i'm selling Hurts and Bridgewater (hell i'd probably just shop Hurts now). I question if his value can get any higher.

RB: Joe Mixon, Najee Harris, Damien Harris, Le'Veon Bell, Joshua Kelley, Tony Pollard, Rashaad Penny, Khalil Herbert, Ty Johnson

Okay I was not expecting to see Mixon, Harris, and Harris here when you said you had RB problems. Do I wish you had a better RB3 than d Harris? sure, but I don't think he'll be a slouch.

WR: Stefon Diggs, Calvin Ridley, Terry McLaurin, CeDee Lamb, Robert Woods, Devonta Smith, Marvin Jones, Terrace Marshall, N'Keal Harry, Denzel Mims, Amari Rodgers
This looks like a great group. A nice mix of young potential and old solid vets. Really really like this group. Its a shame its not a PPR but you are in good shape for years to come (assuming Smith and Marshall are who we think they are).

TE: Kyle Pitts, Mike Gesicki, Irv Smith, Zach Ertz
You have pitts who may be the most valuable TE a year from now. Julio leaving and a poor defense in Atlanta could see his stock skyrocket due to the positional advantage.

K:
D/ST: LA Rams

don't care, especially in a 10 teamer

Picks 2022: 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd
Picks 2023: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

awesome

Overall:
This is a great team imo. I wish your QB group was a bit better, but in a 10 teamer its fine. I don't think its worthwhile to use your 2022 capital right now for it. I know I said when analyzing your positions that if you start out 0-2 or 0-3 i'd look to sell Hurts and Bridgewater, but I don't think you need to. One thing I would explore is seeing what QB you could get for Hurts + one of your 2022 1sts.

Getting some more depth at RB I think is critical. I'd take a look at the teams that were bottom teams last year and see what type of RBs they have. shell out some type of pick for a Gus Edwards, Raheem Mostert or someone like that.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Overall I think that your idea of blowing things up and focusing on WR was great. This is almost always the best was to rebuild imo. The way you went about it was a little off though i think. You need studs in 10 team league. You kept trading studs and moving back in drafts focusing on quantity NOT quality. You had all these extra picks, but most were busts because they weren't quality top end picks. (#4 above). Still a solid looking roster though.

gunzwil guinea pigs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gunzwil guinea pigs » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 pm

abloom wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm ...

Overall:
This is a great team imo. I wish your QB group was a bit better, but in a 10 teamer its fine. I don't think its worthwhile to use your 2022 capital right now for it. I know I said when analyzing your positions that if you start out 0-2 or 0-3 i'd look to sell Hurts and Bridgewater, but I don't think you need to. One thing I would explore is seeing what QB you could get for Hurts + one of your 2022 1sts.

Getting some more depth at RB I think is critical. I'd take a look at the teams that were bottom teams last year and see what type of RBs they have. shell out some type of pick for a Gus Edwards, Raheem Mostert or someone like that.
Wow thank you for your opinion, very appreciated... I could maybe make a big move (exploring right now), but would involve all my 1sts. Only problem is, that one of the picks is 99% guaranteed the 1.01. Would you still go all in or just try to make it in and pick next year? :)

Give:
Jalen Hurts
Denzel Mims
N'Keal Harry
1.01 (2022)
mid 1st (2022)
late 1st (2022)

Receive
Kyler Murray
Jonathan Taylor
Ty Montgomery

QB: Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Matthew Stafford, Mike White, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Marcus Mariota
RB: Breece Hall, Tony Pollard, Najee Harris, Joe Mixon, Rashaad Penny, Damien Harris
WR: CeDee Lamb, Garrett Wilson, Stefon Diggs, Devonta Smith, Terry McLaurin, George Pickens, Calvin Ridley, Zay Flowers, Robert Woods, John Metchie, Marvin Mims
TE: Kyle Pitts, Irv Smith, Trey McBride
K: Tyler Bass
D/ST: Browns, Washington, Packers

Picks 2024: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2025: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Picks 2026: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 pm

That trade is a HUGE win for you.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:57 pm

gunzwil guinea pigs wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 pm
abloom wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm ...

Overall:

Wow thank you for your opinion, very appreciated... I could maybe make a big move (exploring right now), but would involve all my 1sts. Only problem is, that one of the picks is 99% guaranteed the 1.01. Would you still go all in or just try to make it in and pick next year? :)

Give:
Jalen Hurts
Denzel Mims
N'Keal Harry
1.01 (2022)
mid 1st (2022)
late 1st (2022)

Receive
Kyler Murray
Jonathan Taylor
Ty Montgomery
That certainly is a big boy (or girl) trade. I would make that trade and establish yourself as a true contender. Those firsts, no matter how good they look, are always question marks. This gives you a huge upgrade at QB and RB for the cost of hurts who may or may not develop into a NFL QB, mims (who knows what happens with the jets) and some firsts.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07