2021 Running Back Report

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 2021 Running Back Report

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Appreciate the perspective, DD! Don't know if I've seen anyone so enthusiastic about Javonte, especially with him getting labeled a flash in the pan. Can you explain the apparent conflict?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:24 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:37 pm
Oh, I forgot to mention. With the NFL transitioning to a 17 game schedule, obviously the 1k rushing yard benchmark becomes an issue. The best solution I came up with so far is a RB has to clear 1k yards with at least a 62.5 ypg average (the avg yards it would take to hit 1k yards in a 16 game season).
I remember asking you about this in one of your reports.

For example, Marlon Mack averaged 75 rushing yards his second season and 77 his third season. He missed 4 games in his second season. He would've had two 1000 yard seasons and qualified as an outlier for the minimum threshold of Tier 2 if it wasn't for injury.

It's sort of the DaVante Adams rule. Adams only has two 1000 yard receiving seasons, but has averaged the necessary receiving yards for a 1000 yard season five times. He missed out because of random injuries. So I've always wondered why the threshold wasn't yards/gm from jump (with a clear minimum games threshold).
That's something I should probably look into. I'm not sure how much it would change though, and I'm not sure how I would come up with the minimum games number. Unfortunately, staying healthy and/or playing through injuries could be considered a skill in the NFL. It was total yardage from the start for a very simple reason... it was the easiest mark to find and use as a barometer for success. And uh, Mack would not qualify as an outlier, a player would need 3 or more 1k seasons to qualify as an outlier. And it wouldn't be specific to Tier 2, it would just be... they're just an outlier. I suppose they'd be an outlier to Tier 1, if you needed specificity. The 1-2 1k seasons for Tier 2 players was supposed to be more from a floor perspective, not a ceiling perspective. I hope that makes sense.

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:02 pm Appreciate the perspective, DD! Don't know if I've seen anyone so enthusiastic about Javonte, especially with him getting labeled a flash in the pan. Can you explain the apparent conflict?
Well, the entire reason I started the rb report (the numerical analysis part) was because it almost seemed impossible to tell which players would be studs and which wouldn't. I got tired of going all in on players such as Gio Bernard for example, only to watch them fall flat on their face the next season. So having some sort of conflict between film and a numbers analysis is the entire reason I started this. I was low on Henry's film and he turned out great, and I was high on Rojo's film and he turned out not so great. So to certain extent, a disparity between the two areas (film and numbers) is almost to be expected. It's pretty rare when you get can't-miss profile's on both fronts, such as a Saquon, JT, Fournette or Zeke, for example.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:36 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:24 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:37 pm
Oh, I forgot to mention. With the NFL transitioning to a 17 game schedule, obviously the 1k rushing yard benchmark becomes an issue. The best solution I came up with so far is a RB has to clear 1k yards with at least a 62.5 ypg average (the avg yards it would take to hit 1k yards in a 16 game season).
I remember asking you about this in one of your reports.

For example, Marlon Mack averaged 75 rushing yards his second season and 77 his third season. He missed 4 games in his second season. He would've had two 1000 yard seasons and qualified as an outlier for the minimum threshold of Tier 2 if it wasn't for injury.

It's sort of the DaVante Adams rule. Adams only has two 1000 yard receiving seasons, but has averaged the necessary receiving yards for a 1000 yard season five times. He missed out because of random injuries. So I've always wondered why the threshold wasn't yards/gm from jump (with a clear minimum games threshold).
That's something I should probably look into. I'm not sure how much it would change though, and I'm not sure how I would come up with the minimum games number. Unfortunately, staying healthy and/or playing through injuries could be considered a skill in the NFL. It was total yardage from the start for a very simple reason... it was the easiest mark to find and use as a barometer for success. And uh, Mack would not qualify as an outlier, a player would need 3 or more 1k seasons to qualify as an outlier. And it wouldn't be specific to Tier 2, it would just be... they're just an outlier. I suppose they'd be an outlier to Tier 1, if you needed specificity. The 1-2 1k seasons for Tier 2 players was supposed to be more from a floor perspective, not a ceiling perspective. I hope that makes sense.

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:02 pm Appreciate the perspective, DD! Don't know if I've seen anyone so enthusiastic about Javonte, especially with him getting labeled a flash in the pan. Can you explain the apparent conflict?
Well, the entire reason I started the rb report (the numerical analysis part) was because it almost seemed impossible to tell which players would be studs and which wouldn't. I got tired of going all in on players such as Gio Bernard for example, only to watch them fall flat on their face the next season. So having some sort of conflict between film and a numbers analysis is the entire reason I started this. I was low on Henry's film and he turned out great, and I was high on Rojo's film and he turned out not so great. So to some extent a disparity between the two areas (film and numbers) is almost to be expected.
That makes sense.

I'm not sure I agree that avoiding injury in the NFL is a skill though when you factor in non-contact injuries, hamstrings, and concussions from illegal hits. A lot of it just comes down to luck.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm not sure I agree that avoiding injury in the NFL is a skill though when you factor in non-contact injuries, hamstrings, and concussions from illegal hits. A lot of it just comes down to luck.
I totally agree. There is unfortunately a lot of luck involved. That said, I think in the long-run it typically works itself out. But I will look into the YPG idea.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:02 pm Don't know if I've seen anyone so enthusiastic about Javonte,
:eh:

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 am

I expected to see Etienne be added to that CMC list. A little shocked he isn't.

I read everything and as far as these years of reports go, it's pretty much the one I agree with the most. Kudos.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Thanks for the report DD! Great read as always.

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm

I'm still waiting for D'onta Foreman to pay dividends. Thanks alot! :vsad:
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:11 pm

JTLoh wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm I'm still waiting for D'onta Foreman to pay dividends. Thanks alot! :vsad:
To be fair that is likely the cause of a catastrophic injury to his Achilles tendon
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:18 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:11 pm
JTLoh wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm I'm still waiting for D'onta Foreman to pay dividends. Thanks alot! :vsad:
To be fair that is likely the cause of a catastrophic injury to his Achilles tendon
True. And the Texans shitty front office.
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:49 pm

Excellent work! One of my favorite things to read here! Thank you!
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:42 am

Solid writeups as always DD. My only critique is the neon green text color. It's melting my eyeballs.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:00 am

I see Gibson isnt in any of these, is that just impossible for you to do because he played so little at RB in college?

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:07 am

Thank you for your work here.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:00 am I see Gibson isnt in any of these, is that just impossible for you to do because he played so little at RB in college?
Well.... he didnt play RB in college, so that may have something to do with it :thumbup: