Julio Jones Thread: Traded to Tennessee

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Julio Jones Thread: Traded to Tennessee

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 pm

I fully expect to be in the minority here, but is the overall consensus to everyone here AJ is better? I've always had Julio as a better prospect, and the pick I traded for that ended up 1.01 I intend on using to take him 1st, which would be the 1st draft I've seen it happen(I'd love 2 move back a spot or 2 but that's risky sometimes. Maybe if 1.03 wants to overpay and needs Ingram).

That said, Julio has always been more explosive to me when I watch both guys, stronger, bigger, faster, and has just as big of a catch radius. Julio always comes down with balls that he has no business catching. The 1 knock I get is that he drops the easy ones, that he does do, but so did TO, so does Brandon Marshall still. Julio is gonna be a YAC monster and destroy ppr leagues, as to me AJ is gonna rely more on the deep ball, and a QB who can get him the ball deep.

If were talking strictly ceiling, I think Julio has a bigger one. He seems like the type of dominate with whoever is throwing him the ball, let alone that he has Matt Ryan to catch passes from for his career and we still don't know when AJ will have a QB. If were looking at who is more likely to reach their ceiling, the situation does have alot to play into it, especially when were talking about a WR who has to more or less rely on what's around him.

Julio doesn't have to step into a situation taking on #1 DB's and double coverage right away, or really for a few years. He's not expected to carry the offense, his transition will be smooth and seamless as he can grow into his role even though he's good enough to be that type of guy right now. Everything I've ever heard about him since going to Bama is that he's an extremely hard worker, and wants to be one of the best, there just isn't much to not like about him.

I know I always go talent>situation for me in dynasty, but AJ was never more talented to me, and his situation is an attrocity compared to the one for Julio. I think those taking AJ over him are gonna end up regretting it in the long run, and I''m just wondering if anyone here has the galls to rank Julio>AJ or if I'm just crazy :think:
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: So I'm the only guy with Julio over AJ Green?

Postby skip » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:09 pm

You aren't the only one, but definitely in the minority.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm

You aren't alone. Julio was picked 1st overall in the DLF Charter II league here. I like AJ much more but to each their own.

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:01 pm

I am higher on Jones then most. Most tell me I should be taking Ingram at 1.02, but I will be picking Jones. The tape I've watched makes me think Andre, and obviously thats appealing. Its very close between AJ and JJ 1a and 1b IMO. 1a goes to Jones and I do agree that situation will benefit JJ early on where-as I don't think AJ's will be beneficial early in his career (This is based on my assumption that Palmer and Ocho are not with the Bengals in 2011).
16 team league, non-PPR standard scoring plus bonuses. $200 cap
Schaub ($26/2014), Weeden ($5/2016)
McFadden ($35/2012), Richardson ($8/2018), Goodson ($2/2012), W. Powell ($2/2014), Taiwan ($5/2014) Bryce Brown ($2/2016)
Fitz ($32/2014), Nicks ($12/2012), DJax ($12/2013), Wayne ($12/2012) Collie ($8/2015), Hilton ($3/2014), Streeter ($3/2013), Hixon ($5/2012), Smith (STL $2/2015), B. Tate ($2/2012)
Gresham ($10/2016), Rudolph ($5/2015), Housler ($2/2017), C. Clay ($2/2015), Cooley ($5/2012)
Gostowski ($2/2015)
CAR ($3/2014), CIN ($2/2014)

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 pm

nightmarion wrote:I am higher on Jones then most. Most tell me I should be taking Ingram at 1.02, but I will be picking Jones. The tape I've watched makes me think Andre, and obviously thats appealing. Its very close between AJ and JJ 1a and 1b IMO. 1a goes to Jones and I do agree that situation will benefit JJ early on where-as I don't think AJ's will be beneficial early in his career (This is based on my assumption that Palmer and Ocho are not with the Bengals in 2011).
In ATL with Ryan entering his prime, Roddy opposite him and a good run game, I think JJ will put up very repectable early numbers. I think of Anquan Boldin when I see him play. AJ has a higher ceiling, but in CIN at least in the short term, a much lower floor.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

DyeNasty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DyeNasty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:46 pm

I am with you on Julio on AJ. I had him ranked higher even before the draft. I think the situation puts him even a step higher. Cincy has one of the worst front offices so it could be a long rocky road for AJ. Also the other thing I really like about him is his work ethic. On the NFL level good work ethic often surpasses raw talent. I know a lot of people will yell at me for this but I see Crabtree in AJ. Lots of potential talent, but with the overhyping getting to his head and failing to do the work needed to succeed. I could be wrong, but it happens a lot.

Champ224
Captain
Captain

Postby Champ224 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Agreed

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Jones went #1 in one of my rookie drafts... I won't mention any names.... er.... Spencer. LOL Not that I think it was a bad move.

I actually kind of agree with you. I love Jones. He may or may not be as talented as Green, but everything I've read says that his work ethic is second to none, which makes me think he could end up being better than Green. He does have several things going for him, situation. He's on a very good team with avery good QB and a top 5 WR in White that will take the pressure of him to be THE guy. Green, has none of that, he just has natural talent and can be as great as he wants to be.

I will be in the position of choosing between the two in my keeper league. I have the 1.2 pick. My Brother has the 1.1 and is taking Ingram for sure. I really am tossed, but our draft is very late, so I might be able to use any info from training camps to help me make up my mind.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm

MilwaukeesBest wrote:
nightmarion wrote:I am higher on Jones then most. Most tell me I should be taking Ingram at 1.02, but I will be picking Jones. The tape I've watched makes me think Andre, and obviously thats appealing. Its very close between AJ and JJ 1a and 1b IMO. 1a goes to Jones and I do agree that situation will benefit JJ early on where-as I don't think AJ's will be beneficial early in his career (This is based on my assumption that Palmer and Ocho are not with the Bengals in 2011).
In ATL with Ryan entering his prime, Roddy opposite him and a good run game, I think JJ will put up very repectable early numbers. I think of Anquan Boldin when I see him play. AJ has a higher ceiling, but in CIN at least in the short term, a much lower floor.

I might argue with you about the "good run game" lol But I would agree with the rest. :wink:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Lets just calm own and wait a minute here. All, ya'll think julio over AJ in a dynasty league better get a better grip on reality.

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

hosler427 wrote:You aren't alone. Julio was picked 1st overall in the DLF Charter II league here. I like AJ much more but to each their own.
Not the way I'd have gone.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 pm

ekassor wrote:Lets just calm own and wait a minute here. All, ya'll think julio over AJ in a dynasty league better get a better grip on reality.

That's a great argument, I'm actually starting to change my mind a bit the more I read it..... :thumbdown:

WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:58 pm

OK, I could begin by pointing out that Julio will finally begin to pull coverage off Roddy, which will only make Roddy more deadly. But regardless, AJ Green just projects out to be the best prospect since Nicks, I don't want to disrespect CJ

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 pm

ekassor wrote:OK, I could begin by pointing out that Julio will finally begin to pull coverage off Roddy, which will only make Roddy more deadly. But regardless, AJ Green just projects out to be the best prospect since Nicks, I don't want to disrespect CJ

Prospect or player? Because Hakeem Nicks was a fringe 1st rd prospect and a ton of people thought Brandon Tate was better then him. AJ Green is a phenomenal prospect that is only rivaled by a few guys. He's in the class of Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, & Dez Bryant. Calvin is on a tier by himself. Nicks is a top 5 dynasty WR and untouchable on the few teams I own him, but he was nothing special as a prospect. 1st round grade? Sure. But nobody was running around saying if you drafted Nicks he was gonna change the face of your franchise, if that had been the case he would have gone much sooner and ahead of the WR's before him that year.

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm not going to feed you a pacifier to make you feel better or worse about your Julio choice, sorry. Watch film on both, then decide for yourself.