Julio Jones Thread: Traded to Tennessee

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Julio Requested a Trade

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri May 28, 2021 9:14 am

Apparently somebody had offered a first round pick for him. If that’s true, this should be over shortly.

Teams that would make sense in that case are LAC, BAL, TEN, GB. SF doesn’t have a first to offer (I think, at least- does anybody know how far out NFL teams can trade their picks?), NE just doesn’t seem like they would do that. Baltimore would be a little surprising to me- it was odd that they were the early betting favorite- but I wouldn’t be shocked.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:33 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:14 am Apparently somebody had offered a first round pick for him. If that’s true, this should be over shortly.

Teams that would make sense in that case are LAC, BAL, TEN, GB. SF doesn’t have a first to offer (I think, at least- does anybody know how far out NFL teams can trade their picks?), NE just doesn’t seem like they would do that. Baltimore would be a little surprising to me- it was odd that they were the early betting favorite- but I wouldn’t be shocked.
I don't think BAL offers a first and I'm not sure Julio wants to go there (can he deny a trade here?). I think TEN makes a lot of sense. GB would but... Nevermind there's 3 threads going on that. Chargers make sense too.

Sounds like LAR is the betting favorite

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri May 28, 2021 9:40 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:33 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:14 am Apparently somebody had offered a first round pick for him. If that’s true, this should be over shortly.

I don't think BAL offers a first and I'm not sure Julio wants to go there (can he deny a trade here?). I think TEN makes a lot of sense. GB would but... Nevermind there's 3 threads going on that. Chargers make sense too.

Sounds like LAR is the betting favorite
I don’t think Julio has any real leverage- I haven’t heard anything about a no-trade clause or a threat to retire. He’s really only getting moved because Atlanta’s salary cap is completely screwed.

olmansmith
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby olmansmith » Fri May 28, 2021 9:41 am

Saw this too - I feel like a 1st outright is unlikely given the age + salary. My guess would be that if they are giving a 1st, atlanta is still eating a bunch of salary. Either that or its like a 1st + 5th for Julio + 3rd or something.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am

From what I've learned through time is that the teams that always make the most sense are never the ones that do it.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri May 28, 2021 10:38 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am From what I've learned through time is that the teams that always make the most sense are never the ones that do it.
Goddamn this feels so true.

EDIT: Again, if only Bill O’Brien was still around to send a 1st and a 3rd for Julio and a 4th.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 pm

If a team offered a first it may be more like sold a 1st whereby ATL picks up a ton of his salary to get that pick.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Fri May 28, 2021 11:08 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 am From what I've learned through time is that the teams that always make the most sense are never the ones that do it.
You ain't wrong. Where makes the least sense? Detroit, Houston, Miami?

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 am

If people want to make sense of these types of situations, it seems like many of them don’t even think of looking at salary cap implications. I believe that Jones carries a very large cap number , and if so any team acquiring him is going to need room to fit him in or they will have to restructure and/or dismantle significant other portions of their roster. Between that and giving up substantial draft capital, the cost of acquiring Jones can be extremely impactful on the team, maybe even to the point where it really doesn’t make sense.

ETA - just looked at his contract situation. He’ll be a $15.3M cap hit this coming season to whichever team would give up what would likely be a combination of picks or a pick/player that would likely include the acquiring team’s 2022 2nd rounder. Then, with the remaining two years on his current contract being around $11M each the acquiring team would likely be looking at a renegotiation/holdout situation as Jones would expect more than that to play in 2022/2023.

The two teams that I can see where this might make any sense for both the acquiring team and Jones would be CLE and SF. They’d be the two teams that would be close enough to being a SB contender, have the cap space, and could most probably withstand sacrificing high draft capital next year. For the rest of the teams the risk of investment doesn’t seem to balance the equation of potential short term gain given the state of the roster and cap situation.

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat May 29, 2021 8:46 am

I mean I'd love to have him on my team, but the next option would be Arizona.

Kirk+2nd

for

Julio

as a Kirk owner I'd love for him to get out of that crowded WR room, I think he'd thrive with Ridley and Pitts taking attention away from him
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat May 29, 2021 2:06 pm

If a team is offering a 1st, that team would have to be pretty confident of making the playoffs. I can't imagine NE being that confident. Which means he's going to wreck someone's fantasy value if he goes elsewhere. I could be wrong but wouldn't this also take the Colts out of the equation, as their 1st is potentially tied up in the deal for Wentz? Rams don't have a 1st. 49ers don't have their 1st either. Kind of narrows down the possibilities if it's true they've been offered a 1. Titans, Chargers, Ravens, Packers seem like the more reasonable situations he will go to. In my opinion, Chargers are the least needy of the 4 teams for a WR2. Titans have been labled as a "long shot". So possibly comes down to Ravens and Packers. I could see the Packers doing something crazy in order to get Rodgers back. Trading for Julio would help I think.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:06 pm If a team is offering a 1st, that team would have to be pretty confident of making the playoffs. I can't imagine NE being that confident. Which means he's going to wreck someone's fantasy value if he goes elsewhere. I could be wrong but wouldn't this also take the Colts out of the equation, as their 1st is potentially tied up in the deal for Wentz? Rams don't have a 1st. 49ers don't have their 1st either. Kind of narrows down the possibilities if it's true they've been offered a 1. Titans, Chargers, Ravens, Packers seem like the more reasonable situations he will go to. In my opinion, Chargers are the least needy of the 4 teams for a WR2. Titans have been labled as a "long shot". So possibly comes down to Ravens and Packers. I could see the Packers doing something crazy in order to get Rodgers back. Trading for Julio would help I think.
Well thought out and I agree completely. I also think the Ravens aren't too likely to make that move, as they've invested some serious draft capital at WR in the last couple drafts while the Packers have not. Since Green Bay's efforts to mend the relationship with Rodgers haven't been very successful to date, they may just go out on a limb to try and get him back on board. Signing Julio would certainly qualify, and give him his best WR group since Jordy was relevant, Jones was solid, and Cobb was young.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Sat May 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:06 pm If a team is offering a 1st, that team would have to be pretty confident of making the playoffs. I can't imagine NE being that confident. Which means he's going to wreck someone's fantasy value if he goes elsewhere. I could be wrong but wouldn't this also take the Colts out of the equation, as their 1st is potentially tied up in the deal for Wentz? Rams don't have a 1st. 49ers don't have their 1st either. Kind of narrows down the possibilities if it's true they've been offered a 1. Titans, Chargers, Ravens, Packers seem like the more reasonable situations he will go to. In my opinion, Chargers are the least needy of the 4 teams for a WR2. Titans have been labled as a "long shot". So possibly comes down to Ravens and Packers. I could see the Packers doing something crazy in order to get Rodgers back. Trading for Julio would help I think.
Mostly agree, but nothing would stop these teams from offering '23 1st's
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm
Well thought out and I agree completely. I also think the Ravens aren't too likely to make that move, as they've invested some serious draft capital at WR in the last couple drafts while the Packers have not. Since Green Bay's efforts to mend the relationship with Rodgers haven't been very successful to date, they may just go out on a limb to try and get him back on board. Signing Julio would certainly qualify, and give him his best WR group since Jordy was relevant, Jones was solid, and Cobb was young.
Both BAL and GB are in no position capwise to make that kind of deal, and that kind of move is way outside GB’s way of doing business.

Never say never, but I wouldn’t take odds on either of these teams doing this, and most especially GB.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat May 29, 2021 3:51 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 am
If people want to make sense of these types of situations, it seems like many of them don’t even think of looking at salary cap implications. I believe that Jones carries a very large cap number , and if so any team acquiring him is going to need room to fit him in or they will have to restructure and/or dismantle significant other portions of their roster. Between that and giving up substantial draft capital, the cost of acquiring Jones can be extremely impactful on the team, maybe even to the point where it really doesn’t make sense.

ETA - just looked at his contract situation. He’ll be a $15.3M cap hit this coming season to whichever team would give up what would likely be a combination of picks or a pick/player that would likely include the acquiring team’s 2022 2nd rounder. Then, with the remaining two years on his current contract being around $11M each the acquiring team would likely be looking at a renegotiation/holdout situation as Jones would expect more than that to play in 2022/2023.

The two teams that I can see where this might make any sense for both the acquiring team and Jones would be CLE and SF. They’d be the two teams that would be close enough to being a SB contender, have the cap space, and could most probably withstand sacrificing high draft capital next year. For the rest of the teams the risk of investment doesn’t seem to balance the equation of potential short term gain given the state of the roster and cap situation.
The Falcons can pay a portion of Julio's contract, like Carolina did with Bridgewater. A factor here is how much space Atlanta needs to sign their rookies, and how much extra they want to keep for future FA signings.

I've also read that the contract is set up in such a way that teams can cut him after the 2021 season with limited cap impacts.

Edit- https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/24/mmqb- ... good-place
Sports Illustrated wrote:Jones’s deal overall, if he can still be Julio Jones, isn’t horrible—he’s due $38.326 million over the next three years. The trouble is the structure. He’s due a fully guaranteed $15.3 million this year, meaning there are just eight teams (Jaguarss, Jets, Broncos, Bengals, Lions, Browns, Chargers, Niners) that have the space to deal for him without moving money around. On top of that, he’s got $2 million guaranteed for next year, meaning if you want to move on then, you’ll have paid $17.3 million, plus a pick, presumably, for one year.
Last edited by Pullo Vision on Sat May 29, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def