Thoughts on Amon-Ra

Postby Stevens61310 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:33 am

I am curious as to everyone's thoughts about Amon-Ra St Brown

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Thoughts on Amon-Ra

Postby Mike11 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:24 am

I think he's gonna be an excellent value and I wish I could've gotten him in at least one league lol
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 18, 2021 10:24 am

Sounds like he is ready to bite a few kneecaps!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:16 pm

He's my favorite day 3 WR this year (and I assume that will be the case for most) and I'd take him over a lot of day 2 guys. Checks a lot of analytical boxes. Freshman breakout, early declare, decent pro day. EDIT: Except the day 3 draft capital of course. Very rarely do these guys hit.

I would've liked him to be faster than 4.51 at a pro day, but don't think it's a huge negative either. Although, I've seen some sites with him as a 4.6+ guy so maybe someone can shed some light there? I don't think that's right... Otherwise he looks strong and quick enough to make it in the league.

I saw his arm length was <30.5" so that's not good. I've seen data that says 31+ is ideal for top WR finishes. This seems intuitive as longer arms = bigger catch radius, but could also be a lack of sample size on the under 31" range. Definitely not an end all, be all situation and I think you can file this under the "generally top 12 WR seasons are from guys 6'0" and up" category. I don't think it makes sense to ding him on size more than once and it definitely doesn't mean he can't be fantasy relevant.

I've heard he struggles against press and I'm not much of a tape grinder so I hope someone can speak on that side a little more as well.

Add in Detroit WR room being wide open and you could do worse mid 2nd flier
Last edited by Jigga94 on Tue May 18, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm

I think he’s the most overdrafted player in dynasty right now due to perceived opportunity. Looks like he’ll be up against Perelman for the starting slot role and if I had to bet Perriman holds him off. This is this years Hakeem Butler/Bryan Edwards (Both were drafted earlier than he was this year). He’s the guy that the fantasy community was likely too high on coming into the draft and still hasn’t adjusted. Avoid at current cost.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm I think he’s the most overdrafted player in dynasty right now due to perceived opportunity. Looks like he’ll be up against Perelman for the starting slot role and if I had to bet Perriman holds him off. This is this years Hakeem Butler/Bryan Edwards (Both were drafted earlier than he was this year). He’s the guy that the fantasy community was likely too high on coming into the draft and still hasn’t adjusted. Avoid at current cost.
x2

Though the Lions receiving room is crappy enough for him to get a starting job IMO. Still don't want anyone on this team except Swift and Hock

Would not take at his 2nd round ADP over actual NFL draft second round receivers though
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Tue May 18, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:58 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:32 pm I think he’s the most overdrafted player in dynasty right now due to perceived opportunity. Looks like he’ll be up against Perelman for the starting slot role and if I had to bet Perriman holds him off. This is this years Hakeem Butler/Bryan Edwards (Both were drafted earlier than he was this year). He’s the guy that the fantasy community was likely too high on coming into the draft and still hasn’t adjusted. Avoid at current cost.
Always a possibility and day 3 WR rarely ever hit. I've never been high on Cephus or Perriman either so I think the opportunity is still there for him if he does play hard. I saw most places had a draft grade of round 2-3 on him predraft so I wonder what factors made him slip into the 4th. Obviously mocks are never correct but it seems that more than just the fantasy community was high on him this time. Opposed to Butler...

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue May 18, 2021 3:48 pm

I guess that depends on what one considers a hit. If you're referring to a WR1 then yes the last Day 3 WR was Tyreek Hill. Stefon Diggs was also Day 3. Obviously Antonio Brown Adam Thielen (well UDFA but I consider Day 3 & UDFA together)

If you consider WR2 then Robby Anderson, Marvin Jones, Julian Edelman & Doug Baldwin.

So thats 8 in the past 12 (2010-2021)

Basically every 1 1/3 year one WR tends to come from the Day III ranks to reach WR2 or higher. By year I dont mean the year they were drafted - just that we are averaging 1 Day 3 guy every 16-18 months entering the top 24 for a period.

Whether or not Amon-Ra St. Brown or another guy from this class, or one of the previous classes, will join the ranks this year - hard to say. Maybe it is Mooney or Gabriel Davis (both Day 3). Darius Slayton might still have a shot despite the addition of Golladay (since he has the built in chemistry with Daniel Jones).

However Amon-Ra St. Brown does have the opportunity - if he starts off strong enough he'll likely be able like the others before him, to be given the chance to consistently get the 100+ targets he would need for consistent WR2 production.

At worst, his skill set is good enough to put him on a Sterling Shepard / Jamison Crowder track of 700-900 yards yearly. So you can probably still use him as a WR3 / flex option at tmes.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue May 18, 2021 4:38 pm

I would rather take a shot at Dez Fitzpatrick in the 4th for that immediate opportunity vacated target share and shot at pulling a Mooney/Gabe Davis/Slayton than take Amon Ra in the 2nd over guys like Dyami Brown and Nico Collins who have draft capital and opportunity

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 18, 2021 5:00 pm

St Brown has some upside but if I am going to reach a bit for a WR it will be Josh Palmer. He played with a hot mess at QB in college but has all the tools to be a legit fantasy WR and love the landing spot. Figure he will be a great flex option by 2022 and has WR1 upside.

That said if Brown falls in my lap in a league or two I would gladly draft him. Think if he hits it will be as a slot WR. His skill set is suspect to be an effective outside WR at the NFL level IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:33 am

An ancient Egyptian sun deity, Amon-Ra was the premier god for one of the oldest and greatest civilizations on earth. Amon- Ras historical significance matches and perhaps exceeds the Ancient Greeks thunder god Zeus. When we look back at Amon-Ra we see the inspiration for the Pyramids of Egypt and one of the worlds first great civilizations. Wether he is connected to extraterrestrials is still unknown, but many scholars agree its a possibility

SStory93
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SStory93 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:01 am

Patsfan86 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:33 am An ancient Egyptian sun deity, Amon-Ra was the premier god for one of the oldest and greatest civilizations on earth. Amon- Ras historical significance matches and perhaps exceeds the Ancient Greeks thunder god Zeus. When we look back at Amon-Ra we see the inspiration for the Pyramids of Egypt and one of the worlds first great civilizations. Wether he is connected to extraterrestrials is still unknown, but many scholars agree its a possibility
This gets a big "W"
12 Team PPR 2 Flex

QB: Hurts | Watson | Cousins
RB: Hall | Achane | Ekeler| Chubb | Kamara
WR: Hill | AJ Brown | Chase | Aiyuk
TE: Njoku | Waller

🏆: 2023

12 Team PPR SuperFlex IDP

QB: Hurts | Fields | Mayfield
RB: Bijan | Saquon | Ford
WR: Chase | Jefferson | AJ Brown | Metcalf | Puka | Collins
TE: Pitts | Freieemuth
DL: T. Watt
LB: White
DB: Adams | Kearse | Stingley

🏆: 2023

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed May 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Not sure he's strong enough to play outside or has enough burst to play inside. He's worth an early third though.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:33 am An ancient Egyptian sun deity, Amon-Ra was the premier god for one of the oldest and greatest civilizations on earth. Amon- Ras historical significance matches and perhaps exceeds the Ancient Greeks thunder god Zeus. When we look back at Amon-Ra we see the inspiration for the Pyramids of Egypt and one of the worlds first great civilizations. Wether he is connected to extraterrestrials is still unknown, but many scholars agree its a possibility
I am not sure what I just read here.......
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:28 pm

:clap: I was wondering when the Egyptian god thing would come up. Perfectly done.