Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Postby colt77 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:06 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a 12man SF 2x Te premium league with 6pt passing tds. The league is start 1 QB, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 Te, Flex, SF. I'm not sure of where I draft right now, but have been doing various mocks and it seems like you have to punt a valuable position every time. What I mean by this, is I can build a good core of 2-3 Qbs, a decent TE, and maybe one good Rb before I end up with someone like Mike Davis as my RB2 and Kupp as my WR1. Both of them aren't bad, just not people i'd want as my first starting option or RB2 in Davis's case. Just wondering if anyone has expreince drafting with this type of league setup? I know getting two good QBs is important, but the perfectionist in me is sad to see a valuable position suffer. Since it's 3 WR, i'd be starting some very bad guys there. Just some general ideas about what to do would be nice. I know that generally, Wr is the position to punt on because of how easy it is to get production at, but there's also a question to be made about when to value stud Rbs over stud WRs, or TEs. Sorry for rambling, there's just so many thoughts going through my head when I think about trying to set up a stable foundation to consistently compete and more importantly compete for the long haul. Of course getting the 1.01 and Mahomes would be amazing, but what about choosing between someone like Lamar Jackson and Jonathan Taylor? Any advice is appreciated.
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D
Qbs: Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence
Rbs: Barkley, Breece Hall, Javonte Williams, Swift, Jamaal Williams
Wrs: Deebo Samuel, Olave, Diontae Johnson, Odell, Bateman, Nico Collins
TEs: Kyle Pitts, Higbee, Kittle, Okonkwo
K: Gay
D: -Steelers

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Qbs: Lamar Jackson, Hurts, Tua
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins
TEs: Kittle, Pitts, Jacob Harris
K: Butker

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun May 16, 2021 8:00 am

What are the penalties for turnovers? I ask because Safeleagues has pretty much the same format you listed, but turnovers are -4pts. The main impact I've seen is that middle of the road QBs take a hit, so the top QBs are still untouchable, but a guy like Danny Jones or Drew Lock isn't necessarily an auto-start in the flex. I think it's a great format, because there are a lot of ways to build a successful team.
IMO, the top 4 TEs are worth their weight in gold. After that, I wouldn't push TE value up too much. But if you have a chance to get multiple of those top 4, I'd do it. For reference Kelce scored like the qb3 and Waller scored like the qb7 in that format last year. I would be hard pressed to find any RB past the 1st round I'd swap those guys for, and yet they typically go in round 3. You miss on those 4, I'd say punt TE, and load up on a bunch of flyers in the double digit rounds.
Just based on the couple startups I've joined on this format, I'd try to come away with 1 stud QB and one of the top TEs in the 1st 3 rounds. Those are the hardest players to get. As to which position to punt, that probably depends on your league mates. WR is the easiest to fill, but if several teams are waiting on WR, grabbing a few in round 5-7 could give you a loaded corps for cheap. Good luck!
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:37 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:00 am What are the penalties for turnovers? I ask because Safeleagues has pretty much the same format you listed, but turnovers are -4pts. The main impact I've seen is that middle of the road QBs take a hit, so the top QBs are still untouchable, but a guy like Danny Jones or Drew Lock isn't necessarily an auto-start in the flex. I think it's a great format, because there are a lot of ways to build a successful team.
IMO, the top 4 TEs are worth their weight in gold. After that, I wouldn't push TE value up too much. But if you have a chance to get multiple of those top 4, I'd do it. For reference Kelce scored like the qb3 and Waller scored like the qb7 in that format last year. I would be hard pressed to find any RB past the 1st round I'd swap those guys for, and yet they typically go in round 3. You miss on those 4, I'd say punt TE, and load up on a bunch of flyers in the double digit rounds.
Just based on the couple startups I've joined on this format, I'd try to come away with 1 stud QB and one of the top TEs in the 1st 3 rounds. Those are the hardest players to get. As to which position to punt, that probably depends on your league mates. WR is the easiest to fill, but if several teams are waiting on WR, grabbing a few in round 5-7 could give you a loaded corps for cheap. Good luck!
Our turnovers are -3 for an int, so we increased it by 1 over the standard -2. Does that change it a bit, with it not being as harsh as -4? Also, you are confirming what I've been thinking about the top TEs, would you also throw Pitts in his own tier right below the top 4? Seems like he might be worth taking a shot at if someone doesn't overdraft him.
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 am

Pitts would be in the top 4 TEs with Kelce, Kittle, Waller for me. I wouldn't change much with -4 vs -3 points on TOs. Still value the top QBs very highly, and am happy to get a couple aging vets later to fill out the QB room after I get one of those guys vs pay up for the middle of the pack QBs.
Also, you probably want to bring this discussion to the team advice forum if going for team specific advice. This forum is more for general strategy and player discussion, as I understand it.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 am

Is the league on MFL? If so, go look at the player stats from 2020. Post the link for those stats in this thread. Let's see who the top guys are for your particular scoring format.

If it helps though, I'm in the middle of a best ball superflex TE premium startup draft. My 1st 4 picks were Dak, Pitts, Akers, Lamb.

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:31 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:25 am Is the league on MFL? If so, go look at the player stats from 2020. Post the link for those stats in this thread. Let's see who the top guys are for your particular scoring format.

If it helps though, I'm in the middle of a best ball superflex TE premium startup draft. My 1st 4 picks were Dak, Pitts, Akers, Lamb.
Platform is on Sleeper. Someone earlier posted stats for this format earlier and it heavily favors QB and top Tes, I'll put it at the end of this reply. We did the draft order yesterday, so I ended up with the 1.08. I think I'll have a similar draft strategy to yours, just with maybe a 2nd QB over a WR. Ideally would get Herbert, Kittle, Swift/Akers/CEH/Gibson, then maybe take a shot on a guy like Watson if people avoid him since he'll sit for a year. Was told to go after QB1 QB2 RB1 and one of the top 4 TEs if they are there. From mocks I've done though, my WRs end up being bad, but I suppose that's the trade off.

Same league as the TE/WR stats I put up above. This was 6 point with -3 for INTs

QB1- Mahomes 483
QB2- Rodgers 474
QB3- Allen 467
QB4- Kyler 439
QB5- Wilson 434
QB6- Watson 429
QB7-QB12- 404-348
QB13-QB19- 333-289
QB20-QB24- 244-204
QB25-QB32 188-145

PPR 2x TE premium
2020 TE 2PPR (start 1-3)
TE1 (Kelce) 416 points
TE2 (Waller) 348
TE3-TE16 233-178
TE17-21 162-126
TE22-36 122-92

2020 WR 1PPR (start 2-5)
WR1 Adams 340
WR2 Hill 326
WR3 Diggs 314
WR4-WR22 276-205
WR23-36 196-164
WR37-WR50 162-135

2019 TE1-TE12 = 416 points to 188 points (TE2 and TE3 were 302 and 287)
2019 WR1-WR12= 364 points to 228 points

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Oh yeah, I got Watson at my 5.6 in my draft :)

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:37 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm Oh yeah, I got Watson at my 5.6 in my draft :)
That's what i'm thinking tbh. I'm planning on losing first year anyways, so this might be a perfect opportunity to get an elite QB at discount and come back strong in year 2.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Here is my draft results. Some reaches, some value scoops. Remember though, our is Best Ball. So at this point in the draft, we're trying to anticipate who the mid-season waiver wire pickups will be. Once the draft is complete, no more players will be added to our rosters until May 2022:

https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2021/ ... CHISE=0002

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Postby colt77 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:21 pm

jordanzs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 pm Here is my draft results. Some reaches, some value scoops. Remember though, our is Best Ball. So at this point in the draft, we're trying to anticipate who the mid-season waiver wire pickups will be. Once the draft is complete, no more players will be added to our rosters until May 2022:

This will be super helpful. Is your league also 2x TE Premium?

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu May 20, 2021 3:32 am

colt77 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:21 pm
jordanzs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:01 pm Here is my draft results. Some reaches, some value scoops. Remember though, our is Best Ball. So at this point in the draft, we're trying to anticipate who the mid-season waiver wire pickups will be. Once the draft is complete, no more players will be added to our rosters until May 2022:

This will be super helpful. Is your league also 2x TE Premium?
My league is 1ppr/1.5ppr for TEs. QBs get -2 for interceptions.

Hope you can use this as a resource, although best ball skews things by a decent amount. WRs seem to go later in best ball, as you can have a pile of them on your roster who put up inconsistent blowup games, but those are useable. Also please ignore the dynasty newbie who took Rodgers at 1.4.