How to Balance a competitive team for the future?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: the difference between a win now team and build for future team

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 am

Bot101 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 am
Bot101 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 pm Well it’s kind of an obvious subject. For my team in sig, it’s very different from what it was last season after our startup. I drafted Dez and Jordy and after like week 5 or 6 I realized I had no shot even with 6 of 10 teams making the playoffs. So I sold off win now guys like Jordy and Dez for high upside players or picks to contenders. I sold Zeke when it looked like he might make it without being suspended along with Kelce for OBJ and my original 1st (which I knew would end up 1.01). I also stashed anyone and everyone with upside and/or draft capital that hadn’t broken out or was injured. Chad Williams, Curtis Samuel, Adam Shaheen, Gerald Everett, Patrick Mahomes, Mitch Trubisky. I traded for injured players like Cam Meredith. Once I was officially eliminated from the playoffs and locked in the 1.01 I dropped my defense for another stash player. Obviously I haven’t listed every trade or roster move, but overall I took what I thought was a no chance team and made it a playoff contender.
Bot, great job assessing the situation, taking control and re-setting your team.
Thank you. Except I dont think I actually answered the question haha.
Lol, neither did I. You did a better job than me, lol.

I didn't provide useful feedback cause the question isn't clear to me. Rebuilding reams aren't focusing on winning now. Teams focusing on winning now aren't necessarily avoiding adding future value and building for the future. A rebuilding team is automatically building for the future, but a team looking to win now isn't necessarily avoiding building for the future. Example- my contending sig team, I sold production for picks, but have also bought and picked up both (unproductive) youth and production.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

alex33
Starter
Starter

Postby alex33 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 am
Bot101 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 am
Bot, great job assessing the situation, taking control and re-setting your team.
Thank you. Except I dont think I actually answered the question haha.
Lol, neither did I. You did a better job than me, lol.

I didn't provide useful feedback cause the question isn't clear to me. Rebuilding reams aren't focusing on winning now. Teams focusing on winning now aren't necessarily avoiding adding future value and building for the future. A rebuilding team is automatically building for the future, but a team looking to win now isn't necessarily avoiding building for the future. Example- my contending sig team, I sold production for picks, but have also bought and picked up both (unproductive) youth and production.
To be fair I did ask if you can do both win now and build for the future as well :)
starting requirements- 1QB, 2RB, RB/WR, 3WR, WR/TE, TE
10 team league, PPR, 1 point for every 10 completions
QB- Newton, Freeman,
RB- Foster,Mccoy , Doug Martin and David Wilson
WR- AJ Green, Calvin Johnson ,Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Denarius Moore
Te Ed Dickson
team 2
2 ppr, ten teams
starting lineup requirements
roster Requirements 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 TM
Totals 20: 11 Starters, 9 Bench, +4 IR
QBs Colin Kaepernick,Michael Vick,Josh Freeman
rbs Darren Sproles, Jamaal Charles, Lamar Miller, LaMichael James,Ronnie Hillman
wrs, Calvin Johnson,Michael Crabtree ,Kendall Wright,Malcom Floyd,Vincent Jackson
TE Jimmy Graham, Kyle Rudolph
Defense Houston Texans

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am

Young contender- The cream of the crop. Has guys who are both young with many years left but still putting up top numbers the current season. Can continue to let his team do what it does, buy or sell players when value is on their side, and perhaps sacrifice a little value to buy a veteran late in the season for a playoff push or fill in for an injury. Their team, if managed well, should make playoffs for the next 5-7 years and have a chance to win it all each time.

*After two years of building, this is what I'm hoping my team 1 in sig is. Still have some question marks at RB, but have huge upside there and I have possibly the best WR core of all the teams (one other has Nuk, KA, Julio, another AB, MT, Diggs) but mine are all young

Win now team- Older guys, looks like an awesome redraft lineup. Will hopefully win this year, or possibly next year, but after that all their guys are going to be falling off the age cliff and they'll have to do a full rebuild. No point selling the guys as they won't get fair value's worth so just go for it all and get your name on the trophy while you can.

Re-tool team- This is a team that is a borderline contender, will likely make playoffs, but there's 2 or 3 teams in the league clearly better than them. Still has a shot of course, any given Sunday a guy goes off or those top teams get bit hard by the injury bug. Should be looking to sell off veteran guys while they still hold value to said contenders for either 1sts or younger players but keep the core of their team in tact. No need to blow it up

Re-building team- This is a team that has either A) crap for players. B) old players that have lost all value and production C) some combination of a bunch of crap players and one or two good ones. They need to sell off the guys with value for multiple draft picks/young players with upside, be content to lose bad two seasons to get early draft picks, and hopefully be at least re-tool looking in a few years. Re-building team can also look like one that just got done selling off assets where they have not much for good players now, but have multiple future draft picks and young not yet performing players with upside.
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

How to balance a competitive team for the future?

Postby yellowdart2448 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:18 am

I posted this in the Team Advice forum but it might be more appropriate here...

This is mainly for team 1 in the sig but it's a general thought for all competitive teams. I have been in this league for a decade now. It's IDP so it has an extra dimension to worry about. I've been struggling with what direction I want to go with this team. League started in 2011. I won back to back titles in 2013/2014. Then have been competitive basically every year except for one down year. Last year, I lost the title game with the best record and most points.

I have a really good roster I think (need QB depth) but most of my team is in their prime or just exiting it. I've been debating with myself what to do with players like Hopkins, Allen, Zeke, and Kamara. They are great players to have to help win a title this year, maybe next, but you could argue all four of them will start to quickly decline and it could happen this year. I can't decide if it's worth trading these guys to start getting an influx of young talent now to continue being good in the future or just ride this out as long as it lasts and then be a non-playoff team for a few years. I see good arguments to both sides but ultimately I keep telling myself if you have a chance at a title, you can't give it up for young players that might not make it anyways.

A good exercise I've been doing is would you rather have Kamara/Zeke or Lawrence. I know the guy with the 1.01 would likely do this trade but I think this would hurt me over the next 2/3 years and Lawrence might never be a consistent top 12 QB. But if you look at the next decade, it's likely the Lawrence side wins.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: How to balance a competitive team for the future?

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri May 14, 2021 12:38 am

There are two extremes in dealing with "aging" contenders- go all in selling picks/youth for productive pieces now; or go all in on a rebuild, selling all assets (elite starters and depth for contenders) for youth/picks.

When trying to thread the needle between maintaining competitiveness and building long term, it depends on league dynamics, to me. I try to keep my picks and sell young productive players for older equally-productive players, trying to get additional youth/picks to close the value gap. I'd be curious what would be offered to close the gap between Lamar Jackson and, say, Stafford. Hurts and Lamb might be others to pursue that age/production trade angle.

If it's too hard to gap these youth value gapers, then I'd look closely to see if league history indicates youth/picks have exaggerated/enhanced value. If so, dangling low level picks/youth should net very useful pieces for contenders.

As an aside, I'd also clear off players I don't see much long term future for with limited near term production potential (like Lazard) for youth gambles that could help your team long term or be flipped. Perhaps the IDP side of the roster could be pruned in the offseason to take more similar upside gambles.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

Postby yellowdart2448 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I haven't thought about trading in that way before. I think it could be worth exploring a Hurts trade for an older QB who is still producing for a few years and see what I could get with it. I think Stafford or Wentz could be potential targets in something like that as I could get Wentz at a discount plus a young player/s or pick/s back and Hurts isn't actually proven yet. Lamar is very interesting. He's great now but one injury could change everything for him. But he does provide a great edge in 12 team SF leagues.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Have younger players ready to step in when your vets are finished. I feel like I nailed this approach in team 1 at WR. I'll have DK/Higgins/Sutton ready to step in as Adams/Hopkins/Evans fade.

RB is a little more difficult as their careers are typically so short, and they can burn out or fall in to the wrong end of a committee at any time. With few exceptions of course, that's what makes the Saquons so valuable.

Trade away your first round picks within your win window. If you are really a competitor, that last 1st round pick won't help you based off of historical hit rates. You're better off trading out for a vet that has a couple years left to fill a need.

Inevitably you will need to retool, but that's a lot better than a full rebuild. Hold your future draft picks for the year you plan on retooling.

For example, I'm already getting low balled for Adams and Hopkins. I'd rather ride them out than trade them low. I think I can still get a few scraps in trade for them a few years down the line or take some faded production.