Week 14 Byes

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Week 14 Byes

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed May 12, 2021 5:25 pm

With the schedule dropping today, byes will continue into Week 14. Mercifully, no byes in Weeks 15-18, so a 3 week playoff structure is still possible without extending into Week 18.

For 12 team leagues, I don’t see this as an issue- you can have 3 divisions of 4 teams, and now you can play everybody in your division twice and every body else once, and start the playoffs in Week 15-17.

What are those of you in 10, 14, and 16 team leagues doing?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Week 14 Byes

Postby tresskid84 » Wed May 12, 2021 5:36 pm

In the 16 tm league I commish, we already did doubleheaders to play everyone once. Also, I had decided already to push the playoffs to 15-17 (and now I'm glad I did). Gonna need to switch our double-header week though, as it was scheduled for week 14, and we try to avoid bye weeks for it.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 pm

It's so dumb that they don't take a week off mid-season
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Bad luck to anyone counting on Colts, Pats, Eagles, or Dolphins who still have to play a Week 14 playoff game I guess.

We do two week semis and finals in ours, so its probably going to go that way from the sounds.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed May 12, 2021 8:04 pm

mild wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 pm Bad luck to anyone counting on Colts, Pats, Eagles, or Dolphins who still have to play a Week 14 playoff game I guess.

We do two week semis and finals in ours, so its probably going to go that way from the sounds.
Same here. Looks like we either need to explore a 3 week playoff format (1 week semi and 2 week final) or be okay with the first semi final week including teams on bye.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Shankopotamus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 pm It's so dumb that they don't take a week off mid-season
The problem with this is that they’d be leaving money on the table by taking an entire week off with no TV games. What would be ideal is if they had half the teams on bye in, say, week 8 and the other half in week 9. They’d still have eight games each on those two weeks, and fantasy leagues could just treat it as one week.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 pm

mild wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 pm Bad luck to anyone counting on Colts, Pats, Eagles, or Dolphins who still have to play a Week 14 playoff game I guess.

You could have week 16 count as both the last week of the semis AND the first week of the finals.

Personally, I’m just over trying to come up with creative solutions to extend the playoffs, only to have the NFL move the goddamn goalposts on us every year. I’m pushing for an 11-week regular season of double headers where we play a balanced 22-game schedule with every team playing each other exactly twice. That leaves six weeks for the playoffs: two weeks each for the first round, semifinals and championship. It sucks to have to navigate bye weeks in the playoffs, but if you have to, that means you at least you got the benefit of not having to deal with that player’s bye during the regular season. And as long as each playoff round is two weeks, you’ll at least have those guys for one of the weeks, so you don’t have to worry about getting bounced after just one down week. It’s not ideal, but it beats trying to cram the playoffs into three weeks because the NFL only cares about stupid fluky redraft leagues.

🦬PRIME🦬
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert

Hull Awaits

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 am

M-Dub wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 pm

You could have week 16 count as both the last week of the semis AND the first week of the finals.

Personally, I’m just over trying to come up with creative solutions to extend the playoffs, only to have the NFL move the goddamn goalposts on us every year. I’m pushing for an 11-week regular season of double headers where we play a balanced 22-game schedule with every team playing each other exactly twice. That leaves six weeks for the playoffs: two weeks each for the first round, semifinals and championship. It sucks to have to navigate bye weeks in the playoffs, but if you have to, that means you at least you got the benefit of not having to deal with that player’s bye during the regular season. And as long as each playoff round is two weeks, you’ll at least have those guys for one of the weeks, so you don’t have to worry about getting bounced after just one down week. It’s not ideal, but it beats trying to cram the playoffs into three weeks because the NFL only cares about stupid fluky redraft leagues.
Yuck. Bye weeks in playoffs?

Do what our league does (we actually have been doing this with 1 double week, now no double week).

3 divisions of 4. Play every division team twice, everyone else once. Balanced!

Every 3 years, reshuffle divisions, based on how successful teams were in previous 3 years (have ranking system based on championships, then playoffs, then record), and go 1, 6, 7, 12... 2, 5, 8, 11... 3, 4, 9, 10

So, even if a division gets stacked, doesn’t last long
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

thebadferret
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby thebadferret » Thu May 13, 2021 3:36 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:25 pm What are those of you in 16 team leagues doing?
4 Divisions in 2 Conferences (so 2, 2)
You play your division rivals twice = 6
You play the other division in your conference once = 4
You play two teams from the two divisions of the other conference one = 4

Equals 14 games and you can be sure that you play every team at least once every 2 years.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 13, 2021 5:22 am

14 team league with 2 divisions.

2 games against division opponents, 1 against every nondivision opponent. We will be able to play doubleheaders on nonbye weeks 1-5 (1 division and 1 nondivision opponent) and single games weeks 6-14 (nonD on week 7 definitely and 1 of either week 9 or 10). 6 teams in the playoffs with Division winners getting byes, playoffs weeks 15-17.

19 game regular season, no bye week DHs. Not ideal with the backloaded NFL byes but it works out pretty well.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu May 13, 2021 7:03 am

I don't like having byes as late as week 14. With a 17 game schedule, NFL teams may be resting starters for two weeks at the end of the season if they have their seed locked up.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:03 am I don't like having byes as late as week 14. With a 17 game schedule, NFL teams may be resting starters for two weeks at the end of the season if they have their seed locked up.
The only thing I can think that may counteract this is now only one team per conference gets a first round bye; so unless a team has run away with it, they may still be competing for that bye late in the season. But otherwise, yeah the teams don't have a ton of incentive to risk injuring their starters the last two weeks now rather than one.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 am

dustyroads wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:03 am I don't like having byes as late as week 14. With a 17 game schedule, NFL teams may be resting starters for two weeks at the end of the season if they have their seed locked up.
The only thing I can think that may counteract this is now only one team per conference gets a first round bye; so unless a team has run away with it, they may still be competing for that bye late in the season. But otherwise, yeah the teams don't have a ton of incentive to risk injuring their starters the last two weeks now rather than one.
I think you’re underestimating this. There’s a huge difference between playing at home or on the road, and playing the last team in as opposed to a higher seed. For teams having a road playoff game, there’s potentially a large difference between playing the weakest division winner and the second or third best division winner.

As close as teams are record-wise, especially getting into the lower seeds, I don’t see that many teams being able to coast through the last 2 games of the season

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Thu May 13, 2021 11:03 am

SteelLake wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 am
M-Dub wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 pm

Yuck. Bye weeks in playoffs?

Do what our league does (we actually have been doing this with 1 double week, now no double week).

3 divisions of 4. Play every division team twice, everyone else once. Balanced!

Every 3 years, reshuffle divisions, based on how successful teams were in previous 3 years (have ranking system based on championships, then playoffs, then record), and go 1, 6, 7, 12... 2, 5, 8, 11... 3, 4, 9, 10

So, even if a division gets stacked, doesn’t last long
I appreciate your suggestion, but my issue isn’t with the fantasy regular season. As I said, we can play a balanced schedule in just 11 weeks. The issue is that there aren’t enough bye-less weeks at the end of the NFL season to accommodate a longer fantasy postseason, which is a priority for my league. Also, playing some teams once and other teams twice isn’t balanced. If everyone plays everyone else the same number of times, that’s balanced, and it eliminates the need for divisions.

🦬PRIME🦬

Hull Awaits

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am

Pretty much ever league I run or every league I'm a part of is 14 or 16 teams or 32 teams, etc. Our playoffs used to be from week 13 through week 16. Never had a problem. This new schedule...... bah

We're in the middle of discussing what to do. I think we should move everything back two weeks. Having the championship game on week 18 is not ideal, and if NFL players are benched week 18, that'll disrupt the championship game. I get it.

If we push the playoffs back just one week, we can avoid that scenario above, but then we'll also have four teams on a bye week during the first round of the playoffs. I hate this even more, but there are multiple owners who say "you have 6-7 months to prepare for that moment" and would rather have this happen than to have the scenario above happen.

Having the playoffs during week 14 definitely will disrupt the playoffs for multiple owners, vs a championship game on week 18 that will maybe disrupt things for one or two owners. Maybe.

There's no perfect answer to this yet.... yet....
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134