Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Tim Tebow to the Jags

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat May 29, 2021 9:10 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:03 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:13 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:52 am

Most players are not as privileged.
We’re talking about guys who get paid extraordinary amounts of money - compared to the overwhelming remainder of the population - to play a game. I’d say quite a few of them ought to be considered privileged.

Well, people can continue to get their panties in a bunch over this. I’ll sign back into this thread if he manages to make the final roster.
Tebow getting drafted in the first round wasn't privilege. Maybe he should or shouldn't have been drafted there, but it was clear he had at least done enough to warrant a shot in the NFL as a college player.

You can't say the same about signing him 9 years after his last NFL snap to play a completely different position.

We know why there's negative feedback to Jacksonville signing him and it's completely justified.
I’ll rejoin for one more post and then I’ll hold to my previous, and only because this seems to be so important to you.

I just have to ask given the amount and nature of your posts about Tebow - you clearly have an ax to grind here and I’m wondering why you are so exercised about such a relatively trivial situation. Why is this affecting you so profoundly?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:04 am

M-Dub wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:06 am
Tvols wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 am There is Only one reason this post was started and has nothing to do with or without ability
Correct. It was to congratulate the forum as a whole for just ignoring this blatant PR stunt and not getting swept up into the hype machine. So much for that, eh?
:clap:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat May 29, 2021 12:23 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:10 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:03 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:13 am

We’re talking about guys who get paid extraordinary amounts of money - compared to the overwhelming remainder of the population - to play a game. I’d say quite a few of them ought to be considered privileged.

Well, people can continue to get their panties in a bunch over this. I’ll sign back into this thread if he manages to make the final roster.
Tebow getting drafted in the first round wasn't privilege. Maybe he should or shouldn't have been drafted there, but it was clear he had at least done enough to warrant a shot in the NFL as a college player.

You can't say the same about signing him 9 years after his last NFL snap to play a completely different position.

We know why there's negative feedback to Jacksonville signing him and it's completely justified.
I’ll rejoin for one more post and then I’ll hold to my previous, and only because this seems to be so important to you.

I just have to ask given the amount and nature of your posts about Tebow - you clearly have an ax to grind here and I’m wondering why you are so exercised about such a relatively trivial situation. Why is this affecting you so profoundly?
I'm not sure why you're acting like I'm doing anything more than posting an opinion on a message board. It's not like I've said anything personal about him.

I just think it's pretty clear that Tebow wouldn't be on a roster otherwise and it's the wrong message to send to a locker room as a coach who's just entering the NFL.

Otherwise, what else are we discussing? How great it is that ownership is making money from a player? Sounds interesting.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Sat May 29, 2021 1:18 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:04 am
M-Dub wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:06 am
Tvols wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 am There is Only one reason this post was started and has nothing to do with or without ability
Correct. It was to congratulate the forum as a whole for just ignoring this blatant PR stunt and not getting swept up into the hype machine. So much for that, eh?
:clap:

Lol right ... this is a fantasy forum but this has gone way behind fantasy ... seems some have issue they need to deal with themselves before looking outward eh? Plus dont think you have to draft him or pick up off the wavier wire if you don’t like it ..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

Team 2 recent rod 16 team SF/TEP(2pt PPR) 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-5 wrs and 1-2 TE full IDP.
QB A rod, M willis and H Hooker
rb not squat T Bigsby, Chris R, Z evans. J kelly, C patterson, and J mcluaghlin.
WRs chase, J Addison, T McLaurin, C ridgley , A Losivas, M hollins
TE Kelce, D Belligner, T Conklin

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Half of This Thread wrote:This is obviously nepotism, and nepotism is bad.
The Other Half of This Thread wrote:But it’s just a little nepotism!
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Sat May 29, 2021 3:12 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 pm
:clap: :lol:
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

RCogburn
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RCogburn » Sat May 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:22 pm Why in the Seven Hells are so many people spun up about this? NFL teams sign a ton of guys to fill spots at this time of the year, knowing that a lot of those guys won’t make the team. Some of them are feel-good stories or local standouts because it provokes some interest at a time where almost no one except geeks like us care about the NFL - they recognize they are in the entertainment business and some of these signings are nothing but PR moves.

Let me know when Tebow is taking meaningful snaps in week 3 PS and then maybe there’s a story there. Until then, just crack open a cold one, relax, and enjoy the upcoming grilling season.
Because a 33-year-old QB, who hasn't taken an NFL snap in 9 years, woke up, said he's going to become a TE, and got signed to a team.

Privileged? How about connected to his former college coach. Connections also get you jobs in the real world.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:12 pm

People here are also not realizing that nepotism is family only. FYI.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am

RCogburn wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:31 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:22 pm Why in the Seven Hells are so many people spun up about this? NFL teams sign a ton of guys to fill spots at this time of the year, knowing that a lot of those guys won’t make the team. Some of them are feel-good stories or local standouts because it provokes some interest at a time where almost no one except geeks like us care about the NFL - they recognize they are in the entertainment business and some of these signings are nothing but PR moves.

Let me know when Tebow is taking meaningful snaps in week 3 PS and then maybe there’s a story there. Until then, just crack open a cold one, relax, and enjoy the upcoming grilling season.
Because a 33-year-old QB, who hasn't taken an NFL snap in 9 years, woke up, said he's going to become a TE, and got signed to a team.

Privileged? How about connected to his former college coach. Connections also get you jobs in the real world.
Yes, underqualified candidates definitely get hired for jobs in the real world solely due to connections or privilege.

I too would like to be really bad at my job, take 9 years off from doing it and then get hired again.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am

Yes, underqualified candidates definitely get hired for jobs in the real world solely due to connections or privilege.

I too would like to be really bad at my job, take 9 years off from doing it and then get hired again.
Tebow's marketability in that area is a major reason for his signing too. You can be awful at your job but if you generate excitement and revenue (i believe Tebow's Jags jersey is currently the number 1 seller) its easy to see why he got a shot there.

The NFL is a business. Let's not forget that. Tebow is great for business for football in the state of Florida.

The amount of disdain for Tebow getting what is essentially a training camp invite is absolutely mind boggling to me.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun May 30, 2021 7:33 am

I only have interest in him in best ball as a free waiver add.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:41 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 pm
I'm not superstitious, but I am a little 'stitious.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:37 am

RB6 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:12 pm People here are also not realizing that nepotism is family only. FYI.
That is correct in terms of its origin (nepos literally means nephews) however the more modern definition has expanded to include non blood relations & family friends. But the original term still applies in that family* does not need to be a blood relation. Tim Tebow, for example, was part of Urban Meyers "family" at University of Florida.

More generally to the topic:

In the end, I personally am not bothered by the connection, simply because that is typical of NFL. NFL Front Offices do everything that they can to get to know/understand the player that they are drafting/signing - aka familiarize themselves ((that term in itself should be a clue). Hours & hours of research & talking to College coaches, etc - the fact that Urban Meyer already knows Tim Tebow merely shortens/negates the need for the process. Example: Trey Sermon likely benefited from Tony Alfords (who btw also worked under Urban Meyer at one point) connections with Bobby Turner (49ers RB Coach).

Whether or not Tim Tebow is talented enough to deserve on merit a TE position - well that is what we'll find out. If he is shown to be particularly bad at it, and yet still makes the roster - then, imho, that is when nepotism comes into play. Atm this is, to me, more akin to Urban Meyer holding a place in line for Tim Tebow, or getting into a club due to your connections with the Bouncer/bartender. We all do it (aka network and give benefits / privilege to people we are familiar with).

* - In human society, family (from Latin: familia) is a group of people related either by consanguinity (by recognized birth) or affinity (by marriage or other relationship).
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

RCogburn
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RCogburn » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am

I think he has a new job, TE, not QB. He's getting paid a lot less, the league minimum if he even makes the roster, with no signing bonus. Plus there's only one guy who would hire him, so not exactly privileged.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:05 pm

For all the people who irrationally dislike Tebow for his off-field antics, there are just as many (if not more) people who ONLY like him for the same reason. Surely you guys don’t think all those people buying his jersey are lifelong Jags fans, right?

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that I’m rooting for the guy, but if he can actually become a fantasy-viable TE, I’d be happy, just due to the position as a whole being such a wasteland. My biggest fear, however, is that Meyer uses him in more of a Taysom Hill role, where he’s not productive/consistent enough to start with any confidence, but he’s still vulturing TDs from the small handful of Jags players who actually ARE fantasy viable.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0