Tim Tebow Thread: To the Jags TE Convert

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Tim Tebow to the Jags

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:40 am Exceedingly rare for sure. Unprecedented? I don't know if I agree with that.

Kurt Warner fits a lot of the description you just laid out. He was a complete washout in the NFL, cut as a rookie, and couldn't even make a roster after that. Was literally pulled off the grocery bagger line after being out of the league and working in a supermarket for 5 years, then walked onto the field and was basically a league MVP.

Yes, it's an extreme outlier. Obviously Tebow doing anything of note would be too (and I find it extremely unlikely just as everyone does). But it's not unprecedented.
Warner's situation is completely different.

Warner went undrafted out of college in 1994, tried out, and didn't make the cut. He had never played in an NFL game. He tried for 3-4 years to get another try out and then caught on. There's nothing abnormal about undrafted players fighting for years to get into the NFL.

That's not the same thing as a player who proves he stinks, doesn't play in the league for 9 years, and then gets another job at a completely different position.
Obviously 34 year old TE off the streets and 30 year old QB off the streets aren't the same thing, but I think people made a fair point about the NFL being a copycat league and Urban being a guy that doesn't exactly set up his teams to the status quo. It's completely possible that "TE" is merely a moniker for "Taysom Hill position", of which Tebow fits the mold at least somewhat.

Also I don't know how to look it up, but I bet there were some basketball players with little to no NFL experience that were given a tryout by teams at TE as well after they washed out of their basketball careers.

EDIT: Didn't even have to go to another team. Lance Kearse who played college bball and then played bball in Spain, before the Jags gave him a tryout 9 years after the last time he had put on a football helmet.

EDIT2: Erik Swoope was signed by the Colts as a TE despite never having played football at any level.

EDIT3: There are actually a ton of these guys. TE definitely seems to be a "no experience required" position when it comes to teams finding guys for the end of the roster.
But he doesn't. Taysom Hill ran a 4.46 at his pro day. Tebow ran a 4.71 as a 23 year old in the draft combine and is likely even slower now. Putting Tebow in a Taysom Hill role would be laughably bad. He can't throw, he's slow, and has no twitch.

All I'm saying is that if Urban Meyer was not the head coach of the Jaguars, Tebow would not have a job. It has nothing to do with Tebow's character, work ethic, or marketability. It's just a favor and sports-nepotism. That's why people are upset, because there are players who aren't in the NFL, who are better than Tebow, and don't get a chance.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm

dustyroads wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 am

I really don't think this makes a difference in Jacksonville's bottomline with an all-time great QB prospect coming to town.
I'd disagree. but I'm certainly no expert on marketing or finance. For now, it is really all speculation. We'll have to see. Maybe its a ploy to take some of the media heat off of TLaw? Maybe it's really just Meyer swinging his big stick around again to show it's his team and he'll do what he wants with it. Maybe it's what Ice was saying about getting him in the door to be a coach. Tebow was certainly stubborn about being a QB and limited his opportunities to just be a part of a team at another position in the past. Could be he's doing the same thing now with being a coach/assistant: "I don't wanna coach, I wanna wear a uniform", so this was a concession to just get him in the door in the hopes that he'll eventually give up on playing and put his skills to better use as a coach/assistant. Either way, it's certainly made the Jags news worthy. Between Watson, Rodgers, and now Tebow; the NFL is not going to be hard up for off-season story lines and drama. Getting some WWF/WWE vibes anymore with how much a spectacle football has become. Stereotypical old-man realization coming in hot, I miss when it was just about football, or at least mostly just about football and the occasional TO hosting a press conference in his driveway shirtless doing sit-ups lol :boohoo:
I think it simply comes down to Urban Meyer calling the shots. Not much different when he hired the S&C coach and got backlash because of his history. Urban has his guys and there's nothing wrong with it, but when your guys become players who can't play...that's a hard sell to a locker room.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:55 am I like seeing someone like Tebow get a job because of who he is, rather than the plethora of turds like AB we’ve seen get jobs despite who they are.
Me too :thumbup:

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue May 11, 2021 3:02 pm

It’s definitely not unheard of for NFL teams to invite athletes to training camp based more on their “name value” than their experience level or even their actual talent/skill. The Vikings let Brock Lesnar try out at defensive tackle back in 2004 despite not playing football since high school and he damn near made the team. If it drums up more interest in the Jags and sells some officially licensed jerseys, then it’s a savvy move by the Khans.

As far as why people love to hate on Tebow, I think the explanation is fairly obvious. It’s partly because of how the media incessantly fawns over him and partly because he’s such an outspoken evangelical Christian.

I’m not trying to get this thread locked by starting a debate about Christianity. I’m pretty sure there’s already a lengthy thread in the Off Topic forum for that. I’m simply pointing out one of the main reasons people get so annoyed by him. For the record, it’s not his faith itself that bugs people, it’s his unusual level of enthusiasm FOR his faith. We’ve all seen countless athletes thank God/Jesus in postgame interviews or kneel down in prayer after a score or a big play. If simple displays of faith bother you, you probably shouldn’t watch sports at all. But Tebow takes it to a whole different level. Anytime someone is THAT into ANYTHING, it can get annoying for those who aren’t. For example, I have a friend who’s in all three of my dynasty leagues and right now he’s REALLY into “alternative investment options,” for lack of a better term. In all three of our group chats, he’s constantly trying to steer the conversation towards stonks, crypto currencies, NFTs, trading cards, etc. and it gets tiresome after a while. I don’t have anything personal against him, nor am I strongly opposed to any of those investment opportunities. It’s just kind of annoying that that’s ALL he wants to talk about. I think a lot of people feel the same way about Tebow and his singular focus on Christianity.

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just trying to explain as diplomatically as possible why his near-constant prosthelytizing rubs some people the wrong way. I don’t think anyone doubts that he’s a good person and is sincere in his beliefs.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 pm

M-Dub wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:02 pm
I’m not trying to get this thread locked by starting a debate about Christianity.

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers.
An entire diatribe to the contrary.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue May 11, 2021 5:31 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 pm
M-Dub wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:02 pm
I’m not trying to get this thread locked by starting a debate about Christianity.

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers.
An entire diatribe to the contrary.
:roll:
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 11, 2021 5:45 pm

I am only going to say this and will not comment on anything else Tebow related. He is a PR toy, if he makes the team I feel bad for the more skilled TE that gets cut. He had his shot, he wasn't good enough and wouldn't explore moving from QB. From a dynasty perspective he is not worth talking about. My opinion has nothing to do with his religous beliefs, but he has been given so many opportunites because of being a good guy and good for PR. If I was Trevor I would be pissed, the spotlight should be on him.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed May 12, 2021 12:00 am

Over/under 1,000 yards 12 tds?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 am

MFundercover wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:00 am Over/under 1,000 yards 12 tds?
One sports book has the line set at 89.5 yards and 2 rec TD for the year

Spitfire McGee
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Spitfire McGee » Wed May 12, 2021 6:07 am

This is the only answer that makes sense:

https://www.nfl.com/news/hard-knocks-te ... s%20season.

The Jags are the only team that's publicly stated a desire to be the focus of a Hard Knocks season.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 am
I would be shocked if he actually made it through cut-downs.

Which book is this?
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:50 am

Vcize wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am
I would be shocked if he actually made it through cut-downs.

Which book is this?
No clue, saw it referenced in an article, but now I see they didn't say which book. I think with that over/under you're basically betting on whether he makes cuts or not. Aka I doubt if he makes the team, he doesn't hit those numbers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sports ... t-end/amp/

"Another is giving him Over/Under totals of 8.0 receptions, 89.5 yards, 2.0 receiving TDs, 1.5 passing TDs and 15.5 rushing yards on the year."

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed May 12, 2021 9:24 am

I need to find this book. That is one of the easiest bets I've seen in a while.

This is 1000% PR. That's all. I have no issue with any of it.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed May 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Spitfire McGee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:07 am This is the only answer that makes sense:

https://www.nfl.com/news/hard-knocks-te ... s%20season.

The Jags are the only team that's publicly stated a desire to be the focus of a Hard Knocks season.
This makes it make sense. Good find.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Wed May 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Pitts or Tebow guys?