Tim Tebow Thread: To the Jags TE Convert

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: I’m proud of you, DLF community!

Postby Jigga94 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:40 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:27 am
M-Dub wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:50 pm After the news broke this morning, I thought sure SOMEBODY would’ve started a “Tim Tebow to the Jags” thread by now. I’d just like to take this opportunity to commend all of you on your measured restraint (and sanity). Hopefully this will all be over soon.
Oh good, I was hoping someone would start a Tebow to the Jags thread. Thanks.

I’ve always been a fan but feel like if he would’ve been less stubborn and more willing to play non QB positions, he could have been playing in the NFL all along. It feels more novelty act than anything else but glad he’s back.
Exactly. He could've been the first Taysom Hill

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Tim Tebow to the Jags

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 6:21 am

Signing a 33 year old QB who hasn't played in the NFL in 9 years to play a completely different position is a special kind of favor/privilege

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 11, 2021 6:51 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:21 am Signing a 33 year old QB who hasn't played in the NFL in 9 years to play a completely different position is a special kind of favor/privilege
Sounds like a gateway to coaching. Doubt he makes the final roster as a player but he could transition onto his staff as an entry level coach.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am

I always found it funny how many sports fans will defend/forgive the biggest scum bag athletes for a litany of offenses they commit; but so many hate on Tebow who has a pretty much spotless history. Don't gotta love him by any means, but he was one of the best college QBs to ever step on the field, and is a genuinely good person. Such a weird person to hate/get angry that other people love...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 11, 2021 7:02 am

dustyroads wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am I always found it funny how many sports fans will defend/forgive the biggest scum bag athletes for a litany of offenses they commit; but so many hate on Tebow who has a pretty much spotless history. Don't gotta love him by any means, but he was one of the best college QBs to ever step on the field, and is a genuinely good person. Such a weird person to hate/get angry that other people love...
He has always been a lighting rod no doubt. Always been one of my favorite athletes. At his age this just seems like there could be two plans in place.

1) He looks great in camp and makes the team as a TE.
2) He absorbs the information just fine but falls short athletically then transitions to coaching.

Rosters swell to like 90 players so he will have to do a lot to even make the final cut. If that happens then it would be news.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am

dustyroads wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am I always found it funny how many sports fans will defend/forgive the biggest scum bag athletes for a litany of offenses they commit; but so many hate on Tebow who has a pretty much spotless history. Don't gotta love him by any means, but he was one of the best college QBs to ever step on the field, and is a genuinely good person. Such a weird person to hate/get angry that other people love...
Exactly.
No need to hate him for trying to be a good person. Just look away.

RB6
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby RB6 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:23 am

Tebow has an ardent fan base in Florida. Shrewd PR move by the Jags.
.5PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
LJax, Burrow, Carr, Huntley, Heinicke, Cunningham
Adams, Kupp, Deebo, M Brown, Kirk, Wiliams, C Samuel, Palmer, E. Moore, Hodgins, Hutchinson
CMC, Barkley, Mostert, Ford, Moss, Dobbins, Dillon, Kelley, Tucker
Andrews, Higbee

PPR 1Q/3W/2R/1T/1SF/2F
Mahomes, Purdy, Dalton, Henicke, Trask, Zappe
Henry, Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson, Ford, Chandler, Deuce
Hill, Kupp, Shaheed, Toney, Lazard, Metchie, Mingo, Slayton, Shenault, Atwell, Hutchinson
Pitts, Waller, Washington

PPR Best Ball Dynasty SF .5TEP
Stroud, Cousins, Willis, Mariota, Cunningham
Walker, J Cook, Miller, Zamir, Rodriguez, Carter, Penny
St. Brown, Aiyuk, DJ Moore, London, Doubs, Metchie, Scott, Claypool
Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant, Turner, Hurst

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 11, 2021 7:35 am

I bet he has more rushing yards than recieving yards. I agree his career would have been much longer had he been willing to move from QB years ago.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 am

RB6 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:23 am Tebow has an ardent fan base in Florida. Shrewd PR move by the Jags.
This is definitely what I was thinking. Yeah the Urban connection obviously has some play; but I think this is really about getting the hype train fueled up for the organization in the off-season and mostly a PR/money-making move.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 am

Ice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:51 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:21 am Signing a 33 year old QB who hasn't played in the NFL in 9 years to play a completely different position is a special kind of favor/privilege
Sounds like a gateway to coaching. Doubt he makes the final roster as a player but he could transition onto his staff as an entry level coach.
...then why not make him an assistant and transition him into the coaching staff?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 am

I don't think it's anything personal with Tebow. He's a hard worker and seems like a good guy overall.

But, he hasn't played an NFL snap in 9 years, and just made a roster at a completely different position. How can that be explained by anything except privilege and sports-nepotism?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 11, 2021 8:29 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 am
Ice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:51 am
...then why not make him an assistant and transition him into the coaching staff?
Just a theory of mine given his wild popularity in the area. Tebow obviously still thinks he can play and there are a few his age or older in the league.

Don't see a big downside bringing him into camp but I do think there could be upside.

Should be interesting to follow for a few months.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 am
I don't think it's anything personal with Tebow. He's a hard worker and seems like a good guy overall.

But, he hasn't played an NFL snap in 9 years, and just made a roster at a completely different position. How can that be explained by anything except privilege and sports-nepotism?
I guess it depends on how you define "privilege". Certainly has become a hot button word the past few years typically associated with race, which I don't think this has anything to do with. If you mean it in just general definition, I still disagree due to the general context that it's somehow not earned. We could very well diverge opinions at this point, and while I can understand your stance, I disagree. Team's pick up and retain "hometown" players and fan favorites often. Team's also pick up and retain "locker room presence" guys often. This isn't any different at face value from those countless scenarios with the exception that it's an exceptionally high profile person who for some reason is polarizing to the football fanbase. Maybe it isn't how you intended, but it's certainly coming across to me that you feel strongly against this and that it's somehow unfair/unearned. Well I think his college football accolades, his connection to the coach and people of Florida, his character and work ethic, etc. are all how he has earned the chance. And at the end of the day, taking a step back, this is the way the world works. Organizations hire with-in, hire relatives, hire people they worked with before, people recommended by people they trust. To act shocked now seems like it has much more to do with Tebow himself then trying to rally against nepotism in the job market.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 am

dustyroads wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 am

I guess it depends on how you define "privilege". Certainly has become a hot button word the past few years typically associated with race, which I don't think this has anything to do with. If you mean it in just general definition, I still disagree due to the general context that it's somehow not earned. We could very well diverge opinions at this point, and while I can understand your stance, I disagree. Team's pick up and retain "hometown" players and fan favorites often. Team's also pick up and retain "locker room presence" guys often. This isn't any different at face value from those countless scenarios with the exception that it's an exceptionally high profile person who for some reason is polarizing to the football fanbase. Maybe it isn't how you intended, but it's certainly coming across to me that you feel strongly against this and that it's somehow unfair/unearned. Well I think his college football accolades, his connection to the coach and people of Florida, his character and work ethic, etc. are all how he has earned the chance. And at the end of the day, taking a step back, this is the way the world works. Organizations hire with-in, hire relatives, hire people they worked with before, people recommended by people they trust. To act shocked now seems like it has much more to do with Tebow himself then trying to rally against nepotism in the job market.
I absolutely think it's unearned.

Who cares about what Tebow did in college? He was drafted, had a three-year NFL career and flamed out. He hasn't played a snap in 9 years. What type of meaningful locker room presence can he provide without any NFL production to a a group of grown bleep men, most of whom are better football players than him.

If you wanted to make Tebow an assistant or coach, then fine. I don't think that's a weird transition to being an NFL coach at all.

But, saying he's worth a roster spot after an almost 10-year hiatus from playing an NFL snap doesn't vibe, especially when it's at a position where he has no professional experience playing. There are likely undrafted TEs available who are better.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue May 11, 2021 8:45 am

Ice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:29 am
Just a theory of mine given his wild popularity in the area. Tebow obviously still thinks he can play and there are a few his age or older in the league.

Don't see a big downside bringing him into camp but I do think there could be upside.

Should be interesting to follow for a few months.
I don't see the upside in a 34-year-old who hasn't played TE before coming back to the league after almost 10 years off. If he decided to switch positions while he was in the middle of his NFL career, then I'd give it more credibility.

It's fine to call it what it is. Urban Meyer is doing him a favor that most (if not all) players in Tebow's situation would not get.