Jaylen Waddle or Devonta Smith?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who do you have ranked higher?

Jaylen Waddle
35%
Devonta Smith
65%

Total votes: 98

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jaylen Waddle or Devonta Smith?

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Sriracha wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 am
murphysxm wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:21 am
Anteaters wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:45 am
You're right on three counts.
1: Those are very good finishes for any WR year after year.
2: Even though I should have known better because I always target him in redraft leagues, I undervalued Cooks right there. There is a sizeable gap in how productive the careers of Cooks and Beasley have been.
3: Waddle would be lucky to have a career as productive as Cooks.

However,
Playing wise, John Brown might be similar to Waddle, but physically Brown is 2 inches taller. There's a risk Waddle won't be able to overcome the height difference and be as productive a WR. Not to mention that Brown has not been only 2 out of 7 years. I hope Waddle has a better fantasy career than Brown so far.

I was kind of optimistic about Waddle in recent days. I guess as a Dolphins fan I was trying to find the silver lining in Miami choosing Waddle over Smith. But the more I look into their stats, body types, playing styles, etc, the less optimistic I get about Waddle. And the lower I move him on my dynasty draft board.
The NFL is changing my friend. You no longer have to be 6'5" to play QB or 6'4" to play WR. The NFL wants playmakers. Waddle is that.
I hear this a lot...

but the only fantasy relevant WRs sub 6' were Tyreek Hill, Tyler Lockett, Diontae Johnson, Brandin Cooks.

The game has made it easier for smaller receivers to put up stats.. but they still make up the minority of quality NFL WRs.

I'm all aboard the Waddle train, but I realize I'm betting on an outlier here. Height still plays a much bigger role in a WR's success than many people want to give credit for.
Yeah and all those guys are 5'10 +. Waddle is generously listed at that, but that would be splitting hairs, literally. I also see an outlier (even if he's 5'11) in Waddle. Someone mentioned the ball being in his hands. Well, then you're relying on the scheme a bit. I don't know for sure what Miami's plans are, but I'd hope they are big given the draft capital they used and who they passed on.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon May 10, 2021 3:05 am

i think i'd go waddle.

he's much more exciting to watch and that makes owning him more exciting. you can't go wrong with either one, they both look amazing.

but waddle was outpacing smith before his injury.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 10, 2021 8:59 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:28 pm Someone mentioned the ball being in his hands. Well, then you're relying on the scheme a bit. I don't know for sure what Miami's plans are, but I'd hope they are big given the draft capital they used and who they passed on.
This is a valid point, Waddle definately has a lower floor if not utilized properly.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed May 19, 2021 3:32 pm

Late to the party here, but I prefer Smith straight up. Outside of size, he checks all the boxes over and over.