Trey Sermon

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: Trey Sermon

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:18 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am
kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 am Well, I finally cashed out on Sermon. I was the guy who wrote a lengthy post detailing why / how I ended up drafting Sermon at 1.08 even though I probably shouldn't have. Part of my rationale was to target a specific player's 2023 1st round pick, while I was unable to get my hands on that specific pick, I did get a pretty juicy looking '23 1st:

Gave - Trey Sermon / Marquez Callaway / '23 3rd (late)
Got - '23 1st (early) / '22 2nd (early)

Probably could have gotten more a week ago, but happy to turn a late 1st in an average class and a WW pickup into an early 2nd and early 1st in better classes.
Pretty nice haul imo. Well done.
X2 🍻
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvpIGwPTuc8

Mitchell Week 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7ePqQ0cg4

Sermon Week 3

I'll argue Sermon did a better job than Mitchell getting positive yardage even when being hit in the backfield. Stat wise it doesnt look like a great game for Sermon, but tape wise he did quite well imho.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:56 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:01 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvpIGwPTuc8

Mitchell Week 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7ePqQ0cg4

Sermon Week 3

I'll argue Sermon did a better job than Mitchell getting positive yardage even when being hit in the backfield. Stat wise it doesnt look like a great game for Sermon, but tape wise he did quite well imho.
I agree with you , packers were stout against the run this game .

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:38 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:03 am
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:45 am Makes you wonder why they drafted him.
cos they got tired of the "pounding the table" joke. show the world they can draft a total bust without having to move up.
But they did move up, lol
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:49 am

kmbryant09 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 am Well, I finally cashed out on Sermon. I was the guy who wrote a lengthy post detailing why / how I ended up drafting Sermon at 1.08 even though I probably shouldn't have. Part of my rationale was to target a specific player's 2023 1st round pick, while I was unable to get my hands on that specific pick, I did get a pretty juicy looking '23 1st:

Probably could have gotten more a week ago, but happy to turn a late 1st in an average class and a WW pickup into an early 2nd and early 1st in better classes.
Good job, but my god, it's no wonder you've won 4 of the last 5 championships when trades like that happen.

No disrespect to you at all, you're just making trades to improve your team. I just don't understand who would make that deal with someone who's been winning year in and year out. Dude must be in love with Sermon and Callaway.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 am

Didn't see the game - 19/89? How did he look?
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Hjorimir » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:33 am

I thought he looked decent. Some tough running between the tackles. I guess he needs to work on his pass blocking to keep on the field during those plays.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:16 am

Looked solid against a poor run D. Got what he could but his lack of speed was pretty evident. He’s not capable of giving SF what Shanahan craves out of his RBs, which is the ability to bust off a big play by making people miss or hitting a seam really quickly and then wrecking angles.

I’m admittedly a Mitchell proponent and am down on Sermon, so take it for what it’s worth. I see a solid backup RB once he gets his pass protection down, but I don’t see where he has jeopardized Mitchell’s spot. Remains to be seen when they’re both healthy I guess.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:19 am

He looks slow. Not just for a Shanahan RB but for an NFL player in general. I think he has a role on the team, but will eventually be short yardage TD dependent as the faster guys that get the touches between the 20s rack up the yardage in this offense.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuiToMu0ptc

Here are his carries from Week IV

As with the previous week it looks like he did a very good job of constantly moving forward & getting yardage even when hit behind line of scrimmage.

Also I found this interesting

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... ns-opinion

Shanahan said Sermon is still figuring out the proper tempo with which to hit the holes.

“Guys who just run full speed through there sometimes, run into the backs of people and can't hit it the right way and they miss a lot of holes and opportunities,” Shanahan said. “And then some guys slow down so much to try to hit it, that you had the holes there and it just passed them. And they got 3 yards instead of 8 yards.”

It was a problem Mostert during his early days with the 49ers, Shanahan said. But Mostert learned how to harness his speed and choose through which lanes to run. Mostert became the team’s leading rusher in 2019. He averaged 5.7 yards a carry in 45 games with the 49ers since 2017.

“That's something Raheem didn't have right away, but holy cow, did he get as good as anyone as I’ve been around at being able to use his speed while getting to the right holes,” Shanahan said. “It takes guys a lot of time.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:55 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuiToMu0ptc

As with the previous week it looks like he did a very good job of constantly moving forward & getting yardage even when hit behind line of scrimmage.

Shanahan said Sermon is still figuring out the proper tempo with which to hit the holes.

Guys who just run full speed through there sometimes, run into the backs of people and can't hit it the right way and they miss a lot of holes and opportunities,” Shanahan said. “And then some guys slow down so much to try to hit it, that you had the holes there and it just passed them. And they got 3 yards instead of 8 yards.”

It was a problem Mostert during his early days with the 49ers, Shanahan said. But Mostert learned how to harness his speed and choose through which lanes to run. Mostert became the team’s leading rusher in 2019. He averaged 5.7 yards a carry in 45 games with the 49ers since 2017.

“That's something Raheem didn't have right away, but holy cow, did he get as good as anyone as I’ve been around at being able to use his speed while getting to the right holes,” Shanahan said. “It takes guys a lot of time.
I'll assume Mostert was the guy going too fast, and Sermon the guy going too slow.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:13 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuiToMu0ptc

“Guys who just run full speed through there sometimes, run into the backs of people and can't hit it the right way and they miss a lot of holes and opportunities,” Shanahan said. “And then some guys slow down so much to try to hit it, that you had the holes there and it just passed them. And they got 3 yards instead of 8 yards.”

Proper tempo? Sermon only has one speed. He’s perpetually stuck in 1st gear. How exactly does he create any tempo? And even more amazingly, how does Shanahan keep a straight face and compare Sermon to Mostert?

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:26 pm

Life of Pablo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:49 am

Good job, but my god, it's no wonder you've won 4 of the last 5 championships when trades like that happen.

No disrespect to you at all, you're just making trades to improve your team. I just don't understand who would make that deal with someone who's been winning year in and year out. Dude must be in love with Sermon and Callaway.
I hear ya, I definitely liked the trade on my end.

From this owner's perspective, he is a huge Ohio State fan and has been after Sermon since the draft. He also owns Michael Thomas, so Callaway might hold a little extra value to him. He's a middling team with a bunch of picks (but not willing to trade away everyone for picks), and I'm guessing he doesn't view the '23 1st as early. It's from a team that is probably 5th or 6th best in our 10-team league, but he plays in a stacked division and isn't setup to age well (so I project it to be early, but I'm not sure he did).
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

ChromeBox
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ChromeBox » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:06 am

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I just bought into the Sermon fun ride this week (I sent Mike Evans, received Sermon, Elijah Mitchell and Logan Thomas).

I appreciate the calculators say this is an overpay right now, but part of my logic is Sermon and Mitchell are the only two backs under contract in SF after this year. I've seen lots of armchair analysis saying that Sermon will pair better with Lance's game. I also figure that if it doesn't work out, Mitchell is the best placed player to benefit so I can fall back on him.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:53 am

ChromeBox wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:06 am Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I just bought into the Sermon fun ride this week (I sent Mike Evans, received Sermon, Elijah Mitchell and Logan Thomas).

I appreciate the calculators say this is an overpay right now, but part of my logic is Sermon and Mitchell are the only two backs under contract in SF after this year. I've seen lots of armchair analysis saying that Sermon will pair better with Lance's game. I also figure that if it doesn't work out, Mitchell is the best placed player to benefit so I can fall back on him.
Welcome to the forum!

Horrible trade :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope it works out for you!