Trey Sermon

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Trey Sermon

Postby ThunderTung » Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am

Im not really a Sermon believer, 9ers have so much depth at the position, and I don't think he's talented enough to separate as the go to guy, let alone as a late first or early 2nd. Sermon would still be a dart throw in the 3rd round for me to consider taking him
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am

ThunderTung wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am Im not really a Sermon believer, 9ers have so much depth at the position, and I don't think he's talented enough to separate as the go to guy, let alone as a late first or early 2nd. Sermon would still be a dart throw in the 3rd round for me to consider taking him
I'd have to agree with this. I rated him as a late 2nd, early 3rd myself. Seeing how Sermon is going in the first round, I doubt I'll own any shares.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am
ThunderTung wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am Im not really a Sermon believer, 9ers have so much depth at the position, and I don't think he's talented enough to separate as the go to guy, let alone as a late first or early 2nd. Sermon would still be a dart throw in the 3rd round for me to consider taking him
I'd have to agree with this. I rated him as a late 2nd, early 3rd myself. Seeing how Sermon is going in the first round, I doubt I'll own any shares.
That's basically been my feelings, except rating him mid 2nd myself

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pm

In my formats, if he's there at 1.12 I'll be giving him some serious consideration. I think he's being a little underrated on the forum overall. But time will tell of course.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pm In my formats, if he's there at 1.12 I'll be giving him some serious consideration. I think he's being a little underrated on the forum overall. But time will tell of course.
Tend to agree.

I have a fairly late 1st grade on him but he has been going 1.8 to 1.9 range in the 1 QB leagues I have been a part of or monitoring. I doubt I buy him anywhere but there does seem to be an air like Akers was viewed last year. He was another quick out the gate zone scheme type that actually looked really good as the season progressed.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Gatoriole
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Gatoriole » Thu May 06, 2021 12:49 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:35 am I loved Sermon in my pre-draft rankings, but that landing spot in SF actually hurts Sermon imo. It's not a great fit. The Niners run a lot of lateral plays, and Sermon doesn't have the speed that Mostert and Wilson have. I think a lot of Sermon owners are going to be disappointed, unless the 49ers change up their offense to match his style when he's on the field... which I seriously doubt.

I like Sermon as a RBBC guy, and if I owned Mostert I'd be determined to get Sermon and Wilson as backups... but there's no way I'm using a first rounder to acquire him, nor am I thinking RB1 with him.
I agree with you that Sermon doesn't seem like a great fit for the 9ers scheme (IMO).

I notice you don't mention Gallman or Elijah Mitchell. How do you see them as fitting into the 9ers scheme?

Asking as someone with Mostert and Gallman on my roster. :)

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Ice wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pm In my formats, if he's there at 1.12 I'll be giving him some serious consideration. I think he's being a little underrated on the forum overall. But time will tell of course.
Tend to agree.

I have a fairly late 1st grade on him but he has been going 1.8 to 1.9 range in the 1 QB leagues I have been a part of or monitoring. I doubt I buy him anywhere but there does seem to be an air like Akers was viewed last year. He was another quick out the gate zone scheme type that actually looked really good as the season progressed.
I don't really get the Akers thing. Akers was a good prospect and pretty much consensually went mid 1st, in a super deep RB class. I think Sermons rise is more similar to CEH. Pretty under the radar, one performance puts him on the map, and his landing spot vaults him further.

The difference is that CEH had a wide open backfield to take over, and loads of more talent. If the 9ers didn't have a full RB room, I might be higher on him, but like I said I don't think he's talented enough to emerge as the #1 back there.

I don't think you'll ever get your value back if you take him in the 1st/2nd. as a 3rd rounder you could probably squeeze some value out of that, otherwise though I don't think so
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Thu May 06, 2021 6:56 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 pm
Ice wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:41 pm
Tend to agree.

I don't really get the Akers thing. Akers was a good prospect and pretty much consensually went mid 1st, in a super deep RB class. I think Sermons rise is more similar to CEH. Pretty under the radar, one performance puts him on the map, and his landing spot vaults him further.

The difference is that CEH had a wide open backfield to take over, and loads of more talent. If the 9ers didn't have a full RB room, I might be higher on him, but like I said I don't think he's talented enough to emerge as the #1 back there.

I don't think you'll ever get your value back if you take him in the 1st/2nd. as a 3rd rounder you could probably squeeze some value out of that, otherwise though I don't think so
Giving me Ameer Abdullah flashbacks
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 pm

Maybe it’s actually the mushrooms 🍄

Btw

Akers was bashed plenty last year. None of us really know how he will fair but we all know the 49’s really liked him and they typically have a very solid running attack.

Lance will probably add to this with more RPO’s in the near future.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:55 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:57 am
Mike11 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am

I think Sermon is getting the early Keshawn Vaughn comps but I disagree with them. Vaughn went to a more crowded backfield and tested horrendously (even if we agree pro days aren't super legit we can agree Sermon overall tested well with the exception of long speed).

Well, from what I can see Vaughn tested above-average for speed, didn't test in the agility drills, broad jump was close to average but only had a 32" vertical, which isn't ideal but many great rb's had poor verticals. It would be hard to argue his athleticism is why he failed. A more crowded backfield for sure, and when he did make it onto the field he didn't look all that great. Not trying to nitpick but saying Vaughn tested horrendously seems misleading.
For what it’s worth here’s Sermons spider chart: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trey-sermon

And here’s Vaughn: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/keshawn-vaughn

I don’t think it’s misleading if you look, Vaughn is 66th percentile in his 40 and 51st percentile or worse in everything else.

Sermon is 80th percentile or better in 6 areas. His athletic profile is much better (again I’m going off the data I have I understand that pro days to combine is tricky to compare)
Last edited by Mike11 on Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:57 am

Mike11 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:55 am
Mike11 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am

I think Sermon is getting the early Keshawn Vaughn comps but I disagree with them. Vaughn went to a more crowded backfield and tested horrendously (even if we agree pro days aren't super legit we can agree Sermon overall tested well with the exception of long speed).

Well, from what I can see Vaughn tested above-average for speed, didn't test in the agility drills, broad jump was close to average but only had a 32" vertical, which isn't ideal but many great rb's had poor verticals. It would be hard to argue his athleticism is why he failed. A more crowded backfield for sure, and when he did make it onto the field he didn't look all that great. Not trying to nitpick but saying Vaughn tested horrendously seems misleading.
For what it’s worth here’s Sermons spider chart: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trey-sermon

And here’s Vaughn: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trey-sermon

I don’t think it’s misleading if you look, Vaughn is 66th percentile in his 40 and 51st percentile or worse in everything else.

Sermon is 80th percentile or better in 6 areas. His athletic profile is much better (again I’m going off the data I have I understand that pro days to combine is tricky to compare)
They're the same picture. No literally you posted the Sermon link 2x haha

Mike11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mike11 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 am

Jigga94 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:57 am
Mike11 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:55 am

And here’s Vaughn: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/trey-sermon

They're the same picture. No literally you posted the Sermon link 2x haha
Bahaha that's what no coffee before posting get me, fixed it!
League Established in 2014

2015 League Champion
2017 League Champion
2018 League Champion
2022 League Champion

10 Team 20 Keeper League Non ppr

Starters in Bold

QB Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson
RB Chubb, JT Javonte Williams, De’Von Achane
Flex Ekeler, Etienne
WR AJB, Stefon Diggs, Jaylen Waddle Mike Williams, Treylon Burks, Amari Rodgers, Nico Collins, Diontae Johnson, Mingo, Burks, Tillman, Batemen
TE TJ Hockenson Higbee Hurst

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am

Granted, I don't think them drafting him in the 3rd round means he's going to have the job handed to him, but I feel like Sermon is more than a 3rd round rookie draft dart throw:

- 3rd round pedigree
- Arguably the best RB scheme in the league for production
- Above-average offensive line
- Sermon played in a zone blocking scheme in college

It is mostly a situation pick. I don't see him as the long-term answer there.

Sermon's lack of straight line speed wouldn't even scare me given that Freeman and Morris both are slower backs who produced in his scheme as well.

On the off chance that Sermon does win the job at some point, he's probably worth a late 1st/early 2nd in this draft.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am
Granted, I don't think them drafting him in the 3rd round means he's going to have the job handed to him, but I feel like Sermon is more than a 3rd round rookie draft dart throw:

- 3rd round pedigree

Sermon's lack of straight line speed wouldn't even scare me given that Freeman and Morris both are slower backs who produced in his scheme as well.

On the off chance that Sermon does win the job at some point, he's probably worth a late 1st/early 2nd in this draft.
These are all much better reasons to draft Sermon.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:59 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am

- 3rd round pedigree

These are all much better reasons to draft Sermon.
Speaking of long term though, SF has 0 RB signed for 2022. The chance of SF RB getting injured is high (for whatever reason idk) so Sermon definitely has a shot to show out this year. And if he does well? Then it seems like the job would be his for 22 for the time being. Same could be said for Elijah Mitchell though and there's no guarantee on either guy overcoming the RBBC.