Trey Sermon

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Trey Sermon

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun May 30, 2021 9:54 pm

Isn't this kind of a weird year for WR's though? I mean, everybody agrees Chase is the best of the bunch. But then there are so many guys with a little less than ideal size for what we'd consider "prototypical" WR1's. Many of them very athletic and good with YAC, but it's so hard to predict what that means at the next level.

Evaluations of this WR class are all over the place, and I think that might be part of the reason. In some ways, I think this pushes up the value of guys like Williams/Sermon/Carter over what they'd be in a stronger class of RB's. We all want to draft the position, but fact is this just isn't the best crop we've had to pick from lately.

Seems QB is the "safest" position to draft this year. And while I do believe that at least one or two of the RB's will have a decent career, I don't feel confident in picking which one(s). Really thankful my draft aren't until August. Hopefully some news out of camp will help clear things up.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 31, 2021 5:11 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:54 pm Isn't this kind of a weird year for WR's though? I mean, everybody agrees Chase is the best of the bunch. But then there are so many guys with a little less than ideal size for what we'd consider "prototypical" WR1's. Many of them very athletic and good with YAC, but it's so hard to predict what that means at the next level.

Evaluations of this WR class are all over the place, and I think that might be part of the reason. In some ways, I think this pushes up the value of guys like Williams/Sermon/Carter over what they'd be in a stronger class of RB's. We all want to draft the position, but fact is this just isn't the best crop we've had to pick from lately.

Seems QB is the "safest" position to draft this year. And while I do believe that at least one or two of the RB's will have a decent career, I don't feel confident in picking which one(s). Really thankful my draft aren't until August. Hopefully some news out of camp will help clear things up.
Tend to agree.

WR's are very difficult this year. As an example, I have a player like Josh Palmer rated very high who doesn't really have stats so he gets overlooked. He played in a bad system. Is he a safe pick; Not based on data but in his limited tape he sure looks like an excellent route runner with strong hands who is now going to a great situation.

The RB's are probably better than advertised but as we see from the Sermon discussion he is all over the map regardless of what his team actually did to go get him. Overall his stats are not great but he came on in a shortened season and blew the doors of production. He could bust but he could also turn into a Terrell Davis type who got to the pros and had a great knack for a one cut and go style.

The QB's all look great but I imagine 1 of the top 5 will bust if nothing else due to percentages.

It is a strange year indeed.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon May 31, 2021 8:40 am

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/5/6/2 ... rey-sermon

Article about Trey Sermon from the viewpoint of Ohio State RB Coach (Tony Alford since 2015)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Mon May 31, 2021 3:24 pm

Josh Palmer makes Sermons profile look like Barkley.

21 year old breakout, senior declare, 25.9% dominator, 22.8% target share (15% before his senior year), average athlete.

Film grinders over complicate this sometimes lol

At least he’s free I guess.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Rondalebaby wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:24 pm Josh Palmer makes Sermons profile look like Barkley.

21 year old breakout, senior declare, 25.9% dominator, 22.8% target share (15% before his senior year), average athlete.

Believe it or not Dominator rating or breakout age are simply tools in a tool box and not the end all be all.

Palmer went in in the 3rd round because the Chargers love his skill set as a potential WR 1 in a few years.

They have a stud QB, one stud WR who is getting a little long in the tooth and and WR2 entering the final year who while good as trouble staying on the field.

He is a player that could pay huge downstream as a late 2nd or 3rd round rookie dynasty draft choice.

Doesn’t take a film grinder to see his talent but it does take an open mind to look a little past the obvious.

The Chargers opened their mind on adding a weapon for Herbert and a player like K. Allen can Tudor.

On a side note, Palmer’s athletic profile is way better than Allen’s was when he came out. He is a bit raw but is in a system he could surprise in a pretty big way as a rookie.

This player is worth a shot and a sleeper of mine with WR1 upside within 3 years

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:07 pm

Ice wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:50 pm
Believe it or not Dominator rating or breakout age are simply tools in a tool box and not the end all be all.

Last edited by tresskid84 on Mon May 31, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 31, 2021 4:07 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:40 am https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/5/6/2 ... rey-sermon

Article about Trey Sermon from the viewpoint of Ohio State RB Coach (Tony Alford since 2015)
Great read; thanks for posting!

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 31, 2021 4:09 pm

tresskid84 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:07 pm
😂😂

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Rondalebaby wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:24 pm Josh Palmer makes Sermons profile look like Barkley.

Palmer went in in the 3rd round because the Chargers love his skill set as a potential WR 1 in a few years.

They have a stud QB, one stud WR who is getting a little long in the tooth and and WR2 entering the final year who while good as trouble staying on the field.

He is a player that could pay huge downstream as a late 2nd or 3rd round rookie dynasty draft choice.

Doesn’t take a film grinder to see his talent but it does take an open mind to look a little past the obvious.

The Chargers opened their mind on adding a weapon for Herbert and a player like K. Allen can Tudor.

On a side note, Palmer’s athletic profile is way better than Allen’s was when he came out. He is a bit raw but is in a system he could surprise in a pretty big way as a rookie.

This player is worth a shot and a sleeper of mine with WR1 upside within 3 years
They may be tools in a box but when every single tool outside of subjective film analysis points to one conclusion, it pays to listen IMO.

It sounds like situation is his main draw card, but the Chargers won’t hesitate to replace him the second he doesn’t perform (which he likely won’t considering he couldn’t even perform in college) - see Duvernay, Mims and Van Jefferson from last year alone whose teams all spent early picks at WR this year (surprise, surprise they’re all senior declares with terrible analytical profiles).

Keenan Allen only ran a 40 before the draft, with his 4.71 being a total outlier in terms of hit rate - not sure it’s an apt comparison.

Like I said, if he’s free why not - but I wouldn’t be spending even a late second on him.

Edit: Mims profile isn’t actually that bad, which is probably why he looked the best out of the three.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon May 31, 2021 9:14 pm

Rondalebaby wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm

They may be tools in a box but when every single tool outside of subjective film analysis points to one conclusion, it pays to listen IMO.

It sounds like situation is his main draw card, but the Chargers won’t hesitate to replace him the second he doesn’t perform (which he likely won’t considering he couldn’t even perform in college) - see Duvernay, Mims and Van Jefferson from last year alone whose teams all spent early picks at WR this year (surprise, surprise they’re all senior declares with terrible analytical profiles).

Keenan Allen only ran a 40 before the draft, with his 4.71 being a total outlier in terms of hit rate - not sure it’s an apt comparison.

Like I said, if he’s free why not - but I wouldn’t be spending even a late second on him.

Edit: Mims profile isn’t actually that bad, which is probably why he looked the best out of the three.
van jefferson looked great for the rams. it's not his fault he has kupp and woods in front of him. the only reason for drafting van last season was the hope the rams were trading away one of the two after the season ended. they ended up extending both of them before the season began. he's a good hold if you have the space.

and they didn't replace him with tutu, they have completely different skillsets. the rams build for the future and these two wrs will be part of it. they'll have to bide their time behind kupp, woods and djackson this season..

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon May 31, 2021 10:30 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:40 am https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/5/6/2 ... rey-sermon

I like what I read. Thanks for sharing ArryIT. :thumbup:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D

Rondalebaby
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rondalebaby » Mon May 31, 2021 11:07 pm

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:14 pm
Rondalebaby wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm

van jefferson looked great for the rams. it's not his fault he has kupp and woods in front of him. the only reason for drafting van last season was the hope the rams were trading away one of the two after the season ended. they ended up extending both of them before the season began. he's a good hold if you have the space.

and they didn't replace him with tutu, they have completely different skillsets. the rams build for the future and these two wrs will be part of it. they'll have to bide their time behind kupp, woods and djackson this season..
What was great about his 19 receptions for 220 yards.

He turns 25 before training camp even starts, and couldn’t beat out Josh Reynolds.

Not sure how much longer he has to bide time, mans is older than Juju lol

Production > pretty routes :P

This is a Sermon thread though, so enough from me

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks for sharing! Totally forgot they signed Alex Mack. Hadn't quite realized San Fran's RBs were so beset by injuries at the top- great opportunity!
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:59 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:18 pm Recent Sermon articles
Thanks ArrylT. I just hope the buzz doesn't get too loud by my August drafts. I've liked him in my Team 1 format over Etienne during the whole rookie process. I think people who are down on him will end up a little surprised down the road.