Terrace Marshall Jr

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Terrace Marshall Jr

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Surprised there's no thread on him given that he honestly has one of the best talent to situation outcomes in the draft.

- Turns 21 in June
- 19.2 BOA
- 23 touchdowns in his last 19 games at LSU
- 68% catch rate when targeted in the end zone since 2019 (1st in CFB)
- Going to an improved offense that supported three Top-25 WRs last year with Teddy Bridgewater at QB
- Playing for Joe Brady, his former offensive coordinator at LSU
- Likely going to get snaps in the slot, where he spent the majority of last season after Justin Jefferson left
- 158.3 passer rating when targeted since 2019, highest among all WRs since 2019
- Currently the 1.11 on Mizelle ADP

Seems like there's good value to be had here. Not the route runner that Chase or Jefferson is, but still has the versatility to play inside or out.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Terrace Marshall Jr

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon May 03, 2021 4:21 pm

Absolutely love him

Guy broke out behind actual superstars like Chase and Jefferson while Smith and Waddle truthers make excuses for why a bum like Henry Ruggs blocked them from breaking out

Also dominated last year in an offense with a future NFL WR in Kayshon Butte

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Mon May 03, 2021 5:33 pm

Liked him more pre-draft. Nothing suggests that Darnold is a starting-caliber NFL QB.
His drops also concerned me. He was even dropping routine balls in his pro day "highlights".
I love his profile for all the reasons you've mentioned & it's not hard to envision a scenario where he has a Tee Higgins type of ascension but the risk is definitely there.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon May 03, 2021 5:55 pm

I don't see how the Carolina offense is improved except for hopefully having McCaffrey for more games.

A better landing spot and I'd be excited. This is the team that's capped the upside of DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon May 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Guys, GUYS... I thought we all agreed to keep him a secret!?

I've heard say that he is a guy that could well be a little "checked out" - there are whispers around him not really having the "dog" in him, and he certainly could care less about his blocking assignment when a run is called; I've seen that much. The concentration drops on his pro day workout, likewise, I did not enjoy. This was already a guy that struggled with those - and now he's dropping against air? Not great, Bob.

With all that said - I love the player too. In the archetype of receivers that I love to draft, it really is just him, Chase, and Bateman that get me going this year. I'll take one of the mighty-mites if they drop to me at value, but I love the prototype "X" builds with strong analytic profiles above all else. Terrace most definitely sports all of that, and I agree that the landing spot is low-key good. You have to squint... but Joe Brady + Darnold = a high variance combination that I'm intrigued to find out more about. The fact that the team with his former college OC stopped his slide, has to tell us something too. They'd have not gone near him if they didn't think the upside was worth it.

I'm positively aching to know more about these "medicals" that felled him in the draft, though...

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 am

mild wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:59 pm Guys, GUYS... I thought we all agreed to keep him a secret!?

I've heard say that he is a guy that could well be a little "checked out" - there are whispers around him not really having the "dog" in him, and he certainly could care less about his blocking assignment when a run is called; I've seen that much. The concentration drops on his pro day workout, likewise, I did not enjoy. This was already a guy that struggled with those - and now he's dropping against air? Not great, Bob.

With all that said - I love the player too. In the archetype of receivers that I love to draft, it really is just him, Chase, and Bateman that get me going this year. I'll take one of the mighty-mites if they drop to me at value, but I love the prototype "X" builds with strong analytic profiles above all else. Terrace most definitely sports all of that, and I agree that the landing spot is low-key good. You have to squint... but Joe Brady + Darnold = a high variance combination that I'm intrigued to find out more about. The fact that the team with his former college OC stopped his slide, has to tell us something too. They'd have not gone near him if they didn't think the upside was worth it.

I'm positively aching to know more about these "medicals" that felled him in the draft, though...
I agree with everything you said (although I'm less sure of Bateman's inclusion into that archectype given his weight). There's a bit of unknown with him, but if you squint a bit he checks all the boxes -- elite athleticism, good size, production relative to his situation (even if he only sat in the alpha chair himself for a 7 game stretch this year -- he was absolutely dominant despite subpar QB play) and (from what I hear) his film is decent.

While his receiving yards weren't comparable with JJ and Chase last year; It was closer than people realize given that he missed 3 games (and saw less action than normal for a few games as he recovered from a stress fracture in his foot).

This does highlight one of the concerns that likely led to his fall on draft day, but I always hesitate to assume players are injury prone instead of a bit unlucky. Many players that had trouble staying healthy in college end up finding a silver bullet in the NFL (DK Metcalf for instance).

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 am

I loved this guy but his drop kind of scared me off a bit. Make me love him enough again so i take him at 1.09. I really want to double up on Bateman and Him but there are just so many other options i can choose from. Im basically totally set on Bateman at 1.08, its the 1.09 im having issues with. Marshall has everything i want in a WR, i also am not a huge fan of DJ Moore and think we overrate him a bit. I could see Marshall becoming the #1 there.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 am

Big Fan.

In my top 5 WR's. Really like his landing spot over several others. I was surprised he fell to 10th. There may be something to his medical to fall that far. Great wheels when they work if that is even the issue.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 am

Love him. Was WR 4 pre NFL draft.

Now I've been stealing him in the 2nd round of my rookie drafts so far because people are.letting him fall.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 am

The medical is my only caution, to drop like he did, there is probably an issue we don't know about
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am

I'm surprised to not see a thread too. Marshall is probably the greatest player to talk about right now with draft capital, measurables, and situation. What Cameron stated is just a snippet of what's so great about him.
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:21 pmGuy broke out behind actual superstars like Chase and Jefferson
Someone else posted this a while ago. Was it you? Because this alone made me open my eyes the last time I read it.

And yeah, the injuries. I always forget about that. Always scares me.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:21 pmGuy broke out behind actual superstars like Chase and Jefferson while Smith and Waddle truthers make excuses for why a bum like Henry Ruggs blocked them from breaking out
Someone else posted this a while ago. Was it you? Because this alone made me open my eyes the last time I read it.

Isn't "broke out" a bit of a strong word here for a guy that went for 12-192 and 46-671 when Chase and Jefferson were there?

Jaylen Waddle went 45-848 as an 18 year old college freshman.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:21 pmGuy broke out behind actual superstars like Chase and Jefferson while Smith and Waddle truthers make excuses for why a bum like Henry Ruggs blocked them from breaking out

Isn't "broke out" a bit of a strong word here for a guy that went for 12-192 and 46-671 when Chase and Jefferson were there?

He missed 3 game and played several with a stress fracture in his foot limiting snaps.

He broke out.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue May 04, 2021 12:50 pm

He was pacing evenly with JJ and Chase until his injury and still logged 13 TDs--which do count as production

He then came out and hit the yardage thresholds that qualify as dominating the offense in 2020 before opting out and outproduced a future NFL WR in Kayshon Butte (who broke out only after Marshall opted out

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue May 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 pm

He missed 3 game and played several with a stress fracture in his foot limiting snaps.

He broke out.
On Waddle, he was 20 his Freshman year and is entering the league at 22.4. Not saying that means one thing or another, but if we're comparing respective breakout age Marshall is in the 86th percentile while Waddle is in the 20th.

Admittedly Waddles "breakout" stats do look more impressive.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave