Aaron Rodgers - are we RELAX-ed?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Aaron Rodgers

Postby Hottoddies » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Bruiser wrote:I traded AAron for Brees and a 2016 1st (likely mid-1st). I sense a strong year for Brees and regression for Rodgers.
I noticed that that trade was in a contract league. I don't think you do that deal in a regular dynasty league.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:41 pm

duckman92 wrote: Your logic is sound except for the fact that people will point to Brees' age and not be willing to give up as much. That's selling Rodgers at his highest point for pennies IMO.
OP asked for examples of recent trades and I provided one. Ya'll seem pretty quick to judge without having the proper context. Suggesting that I could not get much for a 36yr old Brees even if he is elite is also lacking proper context. I will point to the price for Peyton in 2014 startups following his age 37 season (one for the record books). I will also point to Brees' athleticism and to the fact he is the least sacked QB over the last decade. His claim that he wants to play another ten years is not without merit. If I am wrong, then at the least I gained a 2016 1st in a 16-teamer (sweet value).

It is very important for every owner of a dynasty franchise to understand how to properly value his league's scoring system. In this particular league, the QB position is just really lacking any value. If you understand what I am saying about valuing the scoring system, you will understand that values are rarely about players and more about positional scarcity. In this case I swapped elite QBs and picked up a valuable 1st rounder. In this league, a QB should rarely be drafted in the 2nd round, let alone 1st.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Bo Jackson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Bo Jackson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:11 pm

I would consider keeping Rodgers for a long time. They locked up Cobb for another 5 years, and Adams sounds like another solid young receiver coming up. Nelson isn't going anywhere soon either.

Jeffster is right, for advice, listing your team and league specs would help make sense of the situation.

Rodgers is just one of those guys, if I get him, I'm keeping him!
12 Team PPR - The NorCal Hoe Down - 30 Man Roster - QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, K, 2LB, 2CB, S, DL, Def Flex
QB: Carr, Goff
RB: Ezekiel, M Gordon, Freeman, Crowell,J Jackson, B Scott
WR: B Cooks, K Allen, AROB, A Cooper, S Watkins, DJ Moore, C Coleman, T Austin, T Quinn, C Williams, R Switzer
TE: Ertz, ASJ
LB: Z Brown, D Jones, M Jack, Schobert
CB: Slay
S: Adams
DL: Clowney, Hunter
Picks- 2019- 2-1rst 3-2nds, 2020- 3-1rst 2-2nds

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:49 am

Hottoddies wrote:
Bruiser wrote:I traded AAron for Brees and a 2016 1st (likely mid-1st). I sense a strong year for Brees and regression for Rodgers.
I noticed that that trade was in a contract league. I don't think you do that deal in a regular dynasty league.
This.

I would sell high on Rodgers but Brees+1.8 is a horrible value in a regular dynasty format, particularly in a 16 team league where QBs are worth more. Selling high on Rodgers involves Bridgewater or Tannehill plus a top-3 pick at least.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Meh. Ya'll missed the point. Brees>>Rodgers in 2015. Write it down.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Bruiser wrote:Meh. Ya'll missed the point. Brees>>Rodgers in 2015. Write it down.
Remind me who Brees is throwing it to again? I get the whole strength of schedule argument, but has that ever really stopped the GB offense?

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 am

Cooks/doesn't matter much at all. No extra points in my league for throwing to Jimmy Graham. Seattle suffocated Rodgers last season in the opener. Lucky for him, he'll get them this year in week 2 along with the rest of the NFC West (ouch). Green Bay will lean more on Lacy in this season than any to this point.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:22 am

Bruiser wrote:Meh. Ya'll missed the point. Brees>>Rodgers in 2015. Write it down.
I know I shouldn't respond to this because it could come back to bite me, but there is no way that happens (barring injury). Not a chance in hell.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:35 am

dynastyninja wrote:
I know I shouldn't respond to this because it could come back to bite me, but there is no way that happens (barring injury). Not a chance in hell.
Brees > Rodgers last year in some scoring formats, and certainly the previous 4 years Brees > Rodgers, so it's not outlandish to say Brees > Rodgers this year or even next year. But Brees is 36, it's unlikely Brees > Rodgers in 2017, or 2018, or 2019. Hello, this is a dynasty league discussion, it's a much different comparison in a salary cap league where you can't keep them more than a few years.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:02 am

Tsunami wrote:
dynastyninja wrote:
Brees > Rodgers last year in some scoring formats, and certainly the previous 4 years Brees > Rodgers, so it's not outlandish to say Brees > Rodgers this year or even next year. But Brees is 36, it's unlikely Brees > Rodgers in 2017, or 2018, or 2019. Hello, this is a dynasty league discussion, it's a much different comparison in a salary cap league where you can't keep them more than a few years.
What scoring formats had Brees over Rodgers? They were ~80 points apart in my league.

In the previous years, the Saints weren't trying to run the ball more and they had Jimmy Graham. This is probably going to be a much different Saints offense than what we used to see. Brees struggled last year. What's he going to do without Jimmy?

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:31 am

Standing on soap box:

How sad is it that we are talking about the most critical and coveted position in football, one of the top players in the game, and a future hall of fame inductee, and yet the consensus is that he cannot be traded in fantasy football for two lesser football players?

This is exactly why superflex leagues will gradually become the standard format in smaller leagues (10 & 12 team.)

Thanks for entertaining me. ;-)

(Stepping down from box)

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:21 am

rubber_duck wrote:Standing on soap box:

How sad is it that we are talking about the most critical and coveted position in football, one of the top players in the game, and a future hall of fame inductee, and yet the consensus is that he cannot be traded in fantasy football for two lesser football players?

This is exactly why superflex leagues will gradually become the standard format in smaller leagues (10 & 12 team.)

Thanks for entertaining me. ;-)

(Stepping down from box)
Superflex can be fun as a weird, "other" league, but I don't see it becoming the standard format. QB values just get ridiculous. Every other position becomes much less important.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:51 am

dynastyninja wrote: What scoring formats had Brees over Rodgers? They were ~80 points apart in my league.

In the previous years, the Saints weren't trying to run the ball more and they had Jimmy Graham. This is probably going to be a much different Saints offense than what we used to see. Brees struggled last year. What's he going to do without Jimmy?
Brees had almost 600 more passing yards than Rodgers, in a format where passing TDs were undervalued and INTs weren't highly penalized, or maybe one that gave points per completion or a bonus for big yardage, Brees would be the #1 QB, and he would have been #1 three of the last four years.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:32 am

Tsunami wrote:
Brees had almost 600 more passing yards than Rodgers, in a format where passing TDs were undervalued and INTs weren't highly penalized, or maybe one that gave points per completion or a bonus for big yardage, Brees would be the #1 QB, and he would have been #1 three of the last four years.
Thank you for the proper context. I am in such a league.

Mighty to Save
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mighty to Save » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:36 am

lskywill wrote:Looking to trade Rodgers since I have a bad team and need pieces. Anyone have any examples of trades for Rodgers for 2-4 players that I should expect for return value?
Seeing that this was the original question of the thread, I will respond instead of engage in a Brees v. Rodgers debate. I recently traded 2 2016 1sts (one of which I expect to be top 3 and the other bottom 3 in the 1st round) and D. Carr for A. Rodgers in a 12 team, 1 QB league.