Aaron Rodgers - are we RELAX-ed?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Aaron Rodgers

Postby bruiser » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:18 am

Tsunami wrote:Hello, this is a dynasty league discussion, it's a much different comparison in a salary cap league where you can't keep them more than a few years.
:nono: Don't get distracted here... virtually everyone trades players with fluidity regardless of how their dyno league fits into their shoebox. You've got to start thinking big if you're gonna win big.

Type of league does not matter because nobody drafts a rookie and holds him until retirement. Contracts/years has a small value attached to the player, but it is a fun workaround to make it all fit. Trust me, I play in leagues of multiple shapes and they are virtually interchangeable. Rodgers = Brees + 1st in all of them right now if you are offering Rodgers. If you are buying Rodgers the price is higher. If you are selling Brees... you're starting to get the idea.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:46 am

Bruiser wrote:
Tsunami wrote:Hello, this is a dynasty league discussion, it's a much different comparison in a salary cap league where you can't keep them more than a few years.
:nono: Don't get distracted here... virtually everyone trades players with fluidity regardless of how their dyno league fits into their shoebox. You've got to start thinking big if you're gonna win big.

Type of league does not matter because nobody drafts a rookie and holds him until retirement. Contracts/years has a small value attached to the player, but it is a fun workaround to make it all fit. Trust me, I play in leagues of multiple shapes and they are virtually interchangeable. Rodgers = Brees + 1st in all of them right now if you are offering Rodgers. If you are buying Rodgers the price is higher. If you are selling Brees... you're starting to get the idea.
I play in leagues of all different shapes and they are all different. If you treat them all the same you are likely losing in all of them.
Rodgers < Brees + 1st in an 8 team league.
Rodgers > Brees + 1st in a 20 team league.
Rodgers < Brees + 1st in a salary cap league, but depending on the contracts of course this could go either way.
Rodgers > Brees + 1st in a 10+ keeper league.
Rodgers < Brees + 1st in a 4 keeper league.
But in your average dynasty league Rodgers is definitely worth more than Brees + a 1st.

And here's why it matters. Somebody holds Brees until he retires, when he becomes worth nothing. You don't want to be that someone. Meanwhile in 2-3 years Rodgers is likely to hold almost the same value. It doesn't matter only if you keep him, it also matters if you trade him, because you won't get as much value in return.

And how do any trades get done in your world where selling a player makes his price lower than buying?

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Tsunami wrote: And how do any trades get done in your world where selling a player makes his price lower than buying?
:wtf: Really? That's economics 101. Offering party pays the slippage. If you are offering to buy something, seller commands the price. If you are offering to sell something, buyer demands the price. That's just too basic for me to say it any other way.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Bruiser wrote:
Tsunami wrote: And how do any trades get done in your world where selling a player makes his price lower than buying?
:wtf: Really? That's economics 101. Offering party pays the slippage. If you are offering to buy something, seller commands the price. If you are offering to sell something, buyer demands the price. That's just too basic for me to say it any other way.
You're killing me here. As an economist, I will share some hard-learned wisdom: if anyone ever says "that's econ 101" then whatever they're talking about is almost assuredly wrong.

JohnnyWadd
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby JohnnyWadd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:24 pm

I traded away Rodgers in a superflex league for Jordan Matthews, Golden Tate, Brandon Marshall, 2016 and 2017 1st and 2nd rounders (should be really good picks). My team needs more pieces to win a championship and hopefully the future picks can help.
Rotoworld dynasty league- 11th year
Superflex 12-Team/25 Roster Spot/.5 PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, RB/WR Flex, Full Flex, TE, DST, K
QB- Dak, T.Lawrence, Z. Wilson, D. Haskins, Minshew
RB- Travis ETN, Latavius Murray, Gallman, P. Lindsay, S. Michel
WR- Ruggs, Marquise Brown, Mooney, G. Davis, Rashod Bateman, Terrace Marshall, Eli Moore, Dyami Brown, Nico Collins, KJ Hamler
TE- Trautman, Ertz, OJ Howard, Njoku

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Aaron Rodgers - are we RELAX-ed?

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:27 am

Last year, there was the excuse that Jordy was hurt, and when he came back, the offense would get back in synch.

Yesterday was the first time that I've watched Aaron this season, and he really does looked diminished. His accuracy is way off, and without that garbage time TD yesterday his numbers would have been abysmal. No 300 yard games - he's averaging 234 yards per, and with the exception of his 4 TD game against Detroit (which looked like a return to form at the time) he's got a 6-4 TD-INT ration - not that 10-4 is lights out.

He's still clearly a QB1 and a must start, but I'd think his owners were hoping for a bit more from A-A-Ron. And there's also the downdraft effect on Jordy, Cobb, Lacy et al. For those who watch him closely - a blip that will correct itself? More of a coaching issue? Or the first signs of a decline?
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Aaron Rodgers - are we RELAX-ed?

Postby BuckeyeNation » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:47 am

I think it's time for McCarthy to go. When I watch Rodgers, there's nothing that jumps off the screen to me that says Rodgers has lost something or that he isn't the same caliber of QB that he was a couple years ago. It's quite obvious that the results aren't there though. Many of QBs and offenses have benefited greatly from a change in coaching and philosophy, and to me I think GB needs to at least think about bringing in someone new to run the offense.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:01 am

Never owned Rodgers, and can't say I'm watching Packer games regularly. Still, from all of this talk it appears that everyone but Rodgers is being scapegoated for their lackluster play dating back to last year.

Coach, O-Line, WR
I'm sure there's some truth to all 3 of those positions above being sub-par but is it too farfetched to say that Rodgers just hasn't looked the same and should be shouldering much more of this "blame".

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:08 am

BuckeyeNation wrote:I think it's time for McCarthy to go. When I watch Rodgers, there's nothing that jumps off the screen to me that says Rodgers has lost something or that he isn't the same caliber of QB that he was a couple years ago. It's quite obvious that the results aren't there though. Many of QBs and offenses have benefited greatly from a change in coaching and philosophy, and to me I think GB needs to at least think about bringing in someone new to run the offense.
I agree with all of this, I think McCarthy is overrated as both a head coach and play caller. There's no reason that every skill player on that offense should look handcuffed every play. Zero creativity or explosive plays for that offense and it makes one of the most talented offensive teams one of the hardest to watch.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:12 am

McCarthy is not that great of a coach, and Rodgers is missing throws he should be making, receivers aren't getting open, lacy is doing probably the best on the team but is out of shape. Like really out of shape.. GB is just plain bad offensively. They have been for the past year and a bit. I think its time for a change in coaching.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Nelson has helped a little bit, but I was always skeptical of the narrative that Nelson was the only reason Rodgers didn't look like himself and why the offense struggled. By now it seems it's much deeper than one player.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Up until yesterday, their d had been very good too. No that it was horrid yesterday, but they definitely were not stopping the run like they had been. They also played a couple grind it out teams in Mn and Jax. Funny to say that about Jax this year, but their offense has regressed and their d has improved. Regardless, GB has looked off for well over a year. I think Rodgers will improve and definitely will with a coaching change, but just like Luck, he is just not penciled in as the QB1 or a surefire QB1 week in and out. Even Wilson is in that boat, though I acknowledge the injury, somewhat. Just really hammers home the fact to wait on QB, which I do. But now you not only have the possibility of losing out on a stud wr/rb, but you can lose out on a QB1, when drafting QB early.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:10 pm

If you can tell me what was wrong with Matt Ryan the last three years that suddenly got fixed this year, I'll go with that. Ryan's getting sacked more than he was the last couple years. Sanu is really the only change to his receiving targets of note and come on... Sanu is underrated, but he's not that much of a difference maker. Only thing I can look to is the change in coaching. Shanahan took a year to get things going and is now calling plays from the box and Ryan looks like a superstar.

I don't see any reason to blame the line. ARod is actually getting sacked at a lower rate this year than last and it's pretty much in line with the years he was dominating the league. I don't see any reason to blame the receivers either. He's got as good or better weapons than he's ever had. Jennings wasn't a dynamo. James Jones was one dimensional. My guess is that the league has caught up to McCarthy's offensive scheme and he hasn't been able to adjust.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:26 pm

It might literally be as simple as..

Sometimes players go through slumps and then bounceback.

There are a lot of problems in Green Bay right now; and even ARod is included in that now. But it's not like it's just him. The whole team looks sloppy.

I agree with the analysis that McCarthy has to go. I don't think he's ever been a great coach or play caller; sometimes talent on a team makes you look like a better coach than you are.

The players could need a coaching change.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Friction wrote:Just really hammers home the fact to wait on QB, which I do. But now you not only have the possibility of losing out on a stud wr/rb, but you can lose out on a QB1, when drafting QB early.
Sure QB is unpredictable, as are all positions. QB is still more predictable than any other position, even wr. I can't agree with waiting on QB because they are unpredictable and may not be elite after being drafted to be elite.
By drafting Rodgers, you may have missed on...well no one of great significance in all probability. More likely you drafted Rodgers instead of...well let'a look at the adp. According to DLF, Rodgers could be had at around pick 58. So say you took him a bit early at 40. Let's take a look.

ADP starting at 40: Maclin, Reed, treadwell, luck, doctson, Floyd, mike Thomas, Hyde, Marshall, Snead, Ingram, Lockett, John brown, Lacy, Kelce, Edelman, Martin, Wilson, RODGERS, sanders, Henry, hurns, eifert, McCoy, Murray...
Sure, by passing on drafting Rodgers you may have missed out on Hyde, McCoy, Murray...or arguably the best statistical advantage of the assets listed here, ANDREW LUCK, which really does little to support passing o. Qbs. It's more likely you'd be pissed about the production from your "stud" Maclin, Treadwell, Floyd :lol: , etc I won't list all the letdowns in that same adp at other positions.

My point being, it's an incredibly lazy argument to say qbs can let you down so wait on them. The other positions are even worse in their historical predictability.