murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Aaron Rodgers wants out?

Postby murphysxm » Fri May 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:46 pm
murphysxm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:28 am
Dirty Mike&the Boys wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:13 am

We can all agree that GB messed up taking a QB when their HOF QB still had 4-5 seasons left and no plans of retiring, but this notion that they needed to add a WR and be more balanced on offense is total ESPN click bait worthy stuff. He tossed 48 TD last season, proving that adding another WR was not the top need. He literally had his career year, better than a year where he had Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson & Finley. They drafted a WR this draft because it is now a need, due to the fact they don't have a single WR signed for 2022.

As exposed in the NFCCG, their needs were a 2CB/3CB, and improved LB / DL play. They didn't improve any of that. Their D dug them a hole, and they failed to climb out of it. The defense has been a major issue for years & defense still wins championships:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPacker ... nd_bradys/
Jordan Love is the lone offensive skill positional player drafted in the first round by the Packers since 2009. 2009! They are relying too much on Rodgers making it work. Are there other areas of need, sure, but over that same span they have drafted 11 defensive players in round 1
This is such an overstated fact...

You can find good receivers in teh 2nd and 3rd rounds.. and the packers have drafted a lot of those guys over the years.
3, that is the number of 2/3 round WR's they have drafted since 2009. Please explain how that is a lot of those guys. One of which was Amari this year.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:57 pm
murphysxm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:28 am

Jordan Love is the lone offensive skill positional player drafted in the first round by the Packers since 2009. 2009! They are relying too much on Rodgers making it work. Are there other areas of need, sure, but over that same span they have drafted 11 defensive players in round 1

You can find good receivers in teh 2nd and 3rd rounds.. and the packers have drafted a lot of those guys over the years.
3, that is the number of 2/3 round WR's they have drafted since 2009. Please explain how that is a lot of those guys. One of which was Amari this year.
When those guys are Randall Cobb and Davante Adams--and you have James Jones and Jordy Nelson from the two years prior, and Donald Driver and Greg Jennings from before and you have Jermichael Finley from the year before your arbitary cutoff and you find guys like Robert Tonyan as a UDFA or pass catching backs like Starks and Aaron Jones--yeah three sounds about right

But yeah poor Rodgers never getting any help

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri May 14, 2021 3:32 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 pm

When those guys are Randall Cobb and Davante Adams--and you have James Jones and Jordy Nelson from the two years prior, and Donald Driver and Greg Jennings from before and you have Jermichael Finley from the year before your arbitary cutoff and you find guys like Robert Tonyan as a UDFA or pass catching backs like Starks and Aaron Jones--yeah three sounds about right

To clarify, in 10 years they have drafted 2 WR's of value. Kind of feel like you made my point.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:32 pm

To clarify, in 10 years they have drafted 2 WR's of value. Kind of feel like you made my point.
And... how many WRs of value has TEN drafted in the past 10 years?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm

No fan of GB drafts in general the last couple of years but looking at drafts based on round 1 offensive selections especially for better teams is a non starter. The QB was a bone head pick IMO and the way the team went about it is a fire-able offense but it doesn't really matter how many offensive or defensive players GB drafted round 1 over the last decade; What does matter is the hit rate of the first 3 rounds over time.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 14, 2021 5:31 pm

How many have the Chiefs? I guess Mahomes doesn't have any help right?

Considering just before your cutoff date of 2009, they had a young receiving corps of Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and James Jones built through the previous two drafts it makes sense why they'd be looking to ignore that position for a while their defense was in ruins and required attention

If Rodgers went to Denver, they wouldn't draft a WR for a very long time considering they have literally just built a young talented receiving corps from the 2017-2020 drafts (Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, Hamler, Patrick)--ie similar situation to Green Bay in 2009

But I guess nothing short of 3 all pros is good enough for Rodgers.

Not the elite RB who catches passes, future HOF WR who overlapped with and succeeded an elite first ballot Hall of Very Good WR, high end complementary weapons like Cobb, Finley, Jones, Tonyan, etc

Not the stacked offensive lines filled with studs like Linsley, Jenkins, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, etc

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:51 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm

How many HoF QBs have the Titans had in the last 10 years? None. They blew their load on Justin hunter I believe and nothing came of him then they went back to their bread and butter, then they did the same with Corey davis. (Admittedly I'm not an avid Titans fan) but when you've got an all star QB you go and get him weapons. You don't go and get weapons for a guy like arcus Mariota once you know he is not the answer. That is putting the cart before the horse IMO
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri May 14, 2021 5:57 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Considering just before your cutoff date of 2009, they had a young receiving corps of Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and James Jones built through the previous two drafts it makes sense why they'd be looking to ignore that position for a while their defense was in ruins and required attention

If Rodgers went to Denver, they wouldn't draft a WR for a very long time considering they have literally just built a young talented receiving corps from the 2017-2020 drafts (Sutton, Jeudy, Fant, Hamler, Patrick)--ie similar situation to Green Bay in 2009

Not the elite RB who catches passes, future HOF WR who overlapped with and succeeded an elite first ballot Hall of Very Good WR, high end complementary weapons like Cobb, Finley, Jones, Tonyan, etc

Not the stacked offensive lines filled with studs like Linsley, Jenkins, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, etc
They didn’t need to draft a WR in the first round last year, but they needed one. Adams was the only starting caliber WR on that team. The rest of the guys they rolled out, MVS, Lazard, EQSB wouldn’t sniff the field in most other teams in the league unless there was injury. Those are depth guys, not starters. They lost in the playoffs because the bucs were able to limit Adams and no one was capable of stepping up and making plays. Rodgers, like Brady, makes those other guys seem like they have NFL talent because passes are literally falling into their arms.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 pm

thebeast wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:57 pm

They didn’t need to draft a WR in the first round last year, but they needed one. Adams was the only starting caliber WR on that team. The rest of the guys they rolled out, MVS, Lazard, EQSB wouldn’t sniff the field in most other teams in the league unless there was injury. Those are depth guys, not starters. They lost in the playoffs because the bucs were able to limit Adams and no one was capable of stepping up and making plays. Rodgers, like Brady, makes those other guys seem like they have NFL talent because passes are literally falling into their arms.
Oh he definitely has a right to be upset with last year's first three rounds (not just Love)

But this idea of never having gotten help is a farce (even though besides Lazard those guys suck and even he isn't special or anything)

And no they didn't lose because of the lack of WRs. Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims, Laviska Shenault, etc don't change the outcome of the NFC CG

Their biggest need by far was a CB2

A decent CB2 instead of Kevin King getting toasted by Scottie Miller after a timeout before the half might change the outcome of the game.
A CB was the biggest thing the Packers were missing hence why they took one in the 1st round last year

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri May 14, 2021 6:12 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:51 pm
Sriracha wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:38 pm

How many HoF QBs have the Titans had in the last 10 years? None. They blew their load on Justin hunter I believe and nothing came of him then they went back to their bread and butter, then they did the same with Corey davis. (Admittedly I'm not an avid Titans fan) but when you've got an all star QB you go and get him weapons. You don't go and get weapons for a guy like arcus Mariota once you know he is not the answer. That is putting the cart before the horse IMO
Where does this idea that you need to draft WRs in the 1st round only if your QB is good come from?

Where a team decides to allocate their 1st round picks is a team building philosophical decision. Why would the packers invest a 1st round pick when they can get talents like Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams later who turn into superstars with their HoF QB?

During Mariota's tenure there, TEN invested a top 5 pick on Corey Davis and a 3rd round pick on small 4.5 "burner" who can't even make a roster after being let go from TEN. And then finally hit on a 2nd round stud in AJB.

Agree with Ice here; it's not about where you draft these players and more about the hit rate. GB hasn't needed to draft a 1st round WR because they've been lucky enough to not need to.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Fri May 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Is anyone here arguing that Rodgers has never had quality weapons? I think the arguement is that lack of addressing the offense lately has led to a situation where a devamte adams injury leaves them with the worst pass catcherd in the league and even withbdevante he is the only startable player there. Also, the recent draft "success" you point to for the packers is with an extra first they were able to add 3 decent starters, 2 at moderately valuable spots and 1 at one of the least valuable spots? That seems like the minimum for a passable draft and they needed and extra 1st to manage that
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am

My point, which I clearly didn't do a good job of clarifying, is GB has had a need for a complimentary WR to Adams for a number of years. They have not addressed it through the draft. They have not addressed it via free agency. They rely on Rodgers to make due as they adress other positions. I undertsand Rodgers frustration. As for the Colts analogy, We didn't lose Peyton and replace him with an average NFL QB. I promise you if the Packers roll out Curtis Painter the will also be a 3 win team.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Seeing on Twitter that Rodgers is retiring. Anyone else?
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:03 pm

JFever wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm Seeing on Twitter that Rodgers is retiring. Anyone else?
Looks fake to me

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Tue May 18, 2021 7:22 am

Kcarr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Is anyone here arguing that Rodgers has never had quality weapons? I think the arguement is that lack of addressing the offense lately has led to a situation where a devamte adams injury leaves them with the worst pass catcherd in the league and even withbdevante he is the only startable player there. Also, the recent draft "success" you point to for the packers is with an extra first they were able to add 3 decent starters, 2 at moderately valuable spots and 1 at one of the least valuable spots? That seems like the minimum for a passable draft and they needed and extra 1st to manage that
Adams is hurt for 1-2 games minimum each year (a reason he only reached 1k twice in his career) yet they still continue to win those games where he is out due to injury. Any Packer fan that has been watching this team for years knows the issue is and has always been defense, not offense. He lost two NFC championships where they got blown out giving up 44 and 37 points. The last championship vs Tampa the defense dug a huge hole, & the one vs Seattle was a team meltdown.

He had an MVP season with the weapons everyone on this thread is saying are inadequate. The defense showed improvements this year (such as shutting down Henry on the ground when playing the Titans) but also had its moments where progress was actually questioned (Indy, Tampa both times).

EDIT:
GB is 6-0 since the beginning of 2019 when playing without Adams, their lowest scoring game was 23 points - cited below:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/is-the-la ... leur%20era.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)