Elijah Moore is Arguably the Most Reliable WR in the 2021 Draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Elijah Moore is Arguably the Most Reliable WR in the 2021 Draft

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:13 pm

I try to highlight one receiver each year who catches my interest during the college season:

2020: Henry Ruggs: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198658
2019: Marquise Brown: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=180837
2017: Isaiah Ford: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138337
2016: Michael Thomas: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115256
2015: Tyler Lockett: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=99887

This was a tough class to write on just one player. I cycled between Tylan Wallace, Rondale Moore, Terrace Marshall, and Elijah Moore. I had a writeup almost finished on Rondale, but lost my progress on it. So, I decided to start fresh and go with Elijah Moore, who while isn't the circus freak Rondale is, he offers more certainty as a pass catcher, route runner, and role at the next level.

Background Check:

- Freshman season with AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, and Dawson Knox in front of him as target priorities.
- Cemented himself as the top WR as a sophomore and junior.
- 19.3 BOA, 91st Percentile CD
- Averaged 149 receiving yards/gm last season. For comparison, DeVonta Smith averaged 142.
- Just turned 21 in March
- Ran a 4.35u at his Pro Day
- Ran a 6.66 3-Cone at his Pro Day. (For comparison: Brandin Cooks - 6.76, Antonio Brown - 6.98, Stefon Diggs - 7.03)
- 91% of his snaps from the slot in his college career, 78% this season.
- 1,738 yards from the slot since 2019
- Caught 97% of catchable targets beyond the line of scrimmage in 2020.

Moore is only going 2.01 in Mizelle ADP pre-draft, which is a great combination of fair value and upside. While any player's upside can blossom in the right situation, Moore's role, strengths, and certainty give him a wider range of landing spots that can maximize his ability.

Moore is One of the Best Route Runners and Separators in this Class

Matt Harmon's Reception Perception remains one of my favorite resources for evaluating route success for WRs. This year, he was able to bring it back for the college season. No surprise, but Moore graded as one of his top prospects in terms of separation ability. Moore posted a 95th percentile success rate vs. man coverage (79.8%).

Success by Route:

It's easy to see why Moore excels as a separator. He has the natural athletic tools to his game, exemplified by his 40 time and 3-Cone, and he's turned that into elite slot production.

Reaches top acceleration quickly out of his route, turns a DB around in coverage, makes the catch, and takes a hit.

Just an unfair stutter on the stop and go route.

Moore has proven he can play all over the field and win in different levels. His bread and butter will be the short-to-intermediate game, but he can win downfield, despite not running a high percentage of his routes there.

Average Depth of Target (Credit PFF):

Ja'Marr Chase ('19) - 14.3 yards
Kyle Pitts - 13.8
Jaylen Waddle - 11.7
Elijah Moore - 10.9
DeVonta Smith - 10.7
Rashod Bateman - 10.4
Terrace Marshall Jr. - 9.5
Kadarius Toney - 7.7
Rondale Moore - 2.6

The biggest questions about his usage will center around what he can do on the outside. Did Ole Miss pigeonhole him into a role, or is he capable of doing more than what they gave him? Either way, his aDOT is really encouraging given the limited amount of outside snaps. He's right in line with Waddle, Smith and Bateman.

Moore Has Arguably the Best Hands in the Draft

I mentioned Rondale Moore earlier, and despite having immense talent, the tough part of evaluating him is projection. Not because he's a gadget player, but because a team had to manufacture so many touches to get him the ball, because they lacked QB talent and other WRs (until David Bell came as a sophomore).

Elijah's role is much safer to project. He's comfortably a really good, surehanded slot WR, who can also play outside. Pro Football Focus charted Moore with the lowest drop rate among SEC WRs last season, with just two drops on the season. Moore's strengths are set up to be extremely seamless for a QB who needs a safety blanket.

Here, Moore catches away from his body, takes a hit, and keeps two feet down in bound. These are the types of plays that quickly earn the trust of QBs.

Not only is Moore surehanded, but he's fantastic at attacking the ball and catching the ball away from his body in stride without losing speed or without slowing down in shiftiness. That's not an easy thing to do for a smaller and lighter WR, many of whom don't attack the ball, and if they do they have to sacrifice some speed on the move to do it.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/sta ... 6508221442
Elijah Moore wins the award for quickest transition from catcher to runner among this year's WR group. Dude has eyes in the back of his head, maneuvering away from tacklers before he's even secured the catch. He's so good.
Plays like these consistently show up in his games:

The ease of how Moore plucks and runs into YAC consistently pops. He had 505 YAC last season, which was 4th in college football.

Makes Tough Catches in Traffic
My personal feeling is that contested catches are sometimes an overvalued skill in the fantasy community. They make for great highlights on tape, but it's not a high volume play.

Regardless, PFF charted Moore catching 73% of his contested catch opportunities last season, which is a ridiculous number. For comparison, the only players with better contested catch success last season were: Kyle Pitts, Tylan Wallace (also a good value) and Dyami Brown.

The biggest difference? Those players are 6'0+ and Moore is 5'10.

You've seen it in the cuts above, but Moore is a tough player who has no issue going up in traffic, making a play or creating tight throwing windows for his QB in traffic.

Again, making a tough catch in between defenders, holding onto the ball while taking the hit. These aren't always flashy plays, but Moore consistently does these things.

This is one of my favorite plays from him. Moore gets good separation from the defender, but the QB's pass doesn't hit him in stride. Instead, Moore stretches out for the pass while still taking the hit for a completion.

NFL Stock

Daniel Jeremiah
“Elijah Moore is somebody I just think is a complete receiver," Jeremiah said on Path to the Draft on Monday. "At the end of the day, the only thing he doesn’t have is size, everything else you love. So that’s why I ended up moving him up the board, I think he’s going to be an outstanding slot receiver at the next level.”
Mel Kiper, Todd McShay
“A guy who is tremendously undervalued … I would think he’s going to play like a first-rounder once he’s in the NFL,” Kiper said.

McShay followed that up by noting that he will likely have Moore as a first-round selection. He isn’t sure exactly where Moore will wind up in his next projection, but he is sure the Ole Miss wideout wil garner plenty of attention in the draft’s opening round.

“I agree,” McShay said. “I think he really came on this year. In my mock draft, he’s going to be somewhere between 20 and 32. I haven’t put them all together yet. But he’s in there.”
Bucky Brooks
“We have talked about him, we have celebrated him as a route-runner, as a play-maker from the slot, he just gets it, meaning he understands how to play the position, he consistently gets open,” Brooks said. “He is a handful for cornerbacks to deal with in the slot, he is someone that you can plug-and-play. You drop him into the offense I would expect him to have 60-70 receptions, 1,000 yards, and make a ton of plays moving the chains as a first-down maker.”
Outlook:

Moore looks like he's going anywhere from the late 1st to 2nd round of the real draft, with an outside chance of a 3rd round selection.

This is a very deep and talented WR class and value will come from a variety of spots. Moore reminds me of a mix of Curtis Samuel and Tyler Lockett. That may not be an appealing hybrid for all, but the route running prowess of both, and Moore's own makes him a really solid target in what is currently the late 1st or 2nd round of rookie drafts. The biggest questions Moore will encounter at the next level will be if he can play a higher volume of snaps on the outside and really unleash his potential downfield.

Route Usage:

Moore was entrenched as a slot receiver in college and produced there better than anyone could. Moore's route running, toughness, and hands present serious optimism that he can play on the outside, but again...it's still an unknown.

He'll also see more press coverage, but again his play strength and footwork will lead you to believe that he can adjust quickly to that.

Moore offers a solid WR2 projection. If he gets comfortable on the outside while also landing in a great situation (think Green Bay) then more is possible. When you look at comparable players like Jaylen Waddle (1.08) and Rondale Moore (1.09), it's hard not to be encouraged by the value you get in Moore in the 2nd round, with more certainty in various areas of his game. That leads me to believe that even though he lacks the ideal size you want, his route running and hands can simply accumulate volume organically.

Gif Credit: Ben Fennell, Rotoballer, PreGame HQ, Draft Sharks, PFF, FF Astronauts.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Elijah Moore is Arguably the Most Reliable WR in the 2021 Draft

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Agree completely on Moore as a relatively safe hit priced well below he should be

Great write up

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Fantastic work Cameron Giles! Really appreciate you putting this together.

Due to my league format, I'm generally not too high on slot WR's (non-ppr). But reading your post has me interested in taking a 2nd look. If TY Hilton can be an effective WR in the NFL with similar size, and a few seasons on the cusp of WR1 production under his belt during his prime, no reason Elijah Moore couldn't have a similar career path.

Very nice write-up.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm Fantastic work Cameron Giles! Really appreciate you putting this together.

Due to my league format, I'm generally not too high on slot WR's (non-ppr). But reading your post has me interested in taking a 2nd look. If TY Hilton can be an effective WR in the NFL with similar size, and a few seasons on the cusp of WR1 production under his belt during his prime, no reason Elijah Moore couldn't have a similar career path.

Very nice write-up.
Think early Randall Cobb as well. I keep looking at the draft order and Green Bay looks like such a perfect fit on paper. Rodgers hasn't had a legitimate slot guy in forever and that offense needs more threats.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write up this extensive review. I still think Isaiah Ford got a raw deal.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 pm

Awesome work! Always love your stuff man!
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:00 pm

Huge fan of E Moore’s game.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Nice work :thumbup: thank you

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:49 am

I was absent from the forums mostly yesterday and I didn't get to see this gem posted when it happened. Cameron Giles is routinely one of my favorite posters here at DLF and this is a big reason why.

I look at so many players that I forget exact numbers and I didn't see it written so I had to look it up: 5'9" 185 pounds. So many small guys this year and they all look great. That 40 and 3-cone are ridiculous, plus he had a year to learn with AJB and DK? He probably still talks with those guys and maybe his breakout year would have been earlier without them on the roster!

Cameron do you have any comparables for Moore that you could suggest?
Some best and worst places to get drafted?
What round you expect him to get taken?
And what WR# you think he'll be, both in NFL draft and fantasy?

You don't have to answer all of these but I'm curious for your opinion.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:34 am

Love this write-up CG. He's been rising up my draft board. I can't get behind the Bama receivers like I usually do so it will be interesting to see where Moore lands vs consensus.

The routes, separation, quickness and hands should all easily translate to Sunday. That Jeremiah quote sums it up best. You love everything, except for size. Usually 5'10 or 5'11 is my cutoff but this guy has me hooked. My only other concern would be the slot usage and whether or not a team uses him there or tries to force him to play outside. Not saying he can't, just that we didn't see much of it.

Re: Mike's post above, I am always looking for true freshman breakouts as they have a good % of hitting. Even if they don't, it's not the end of the world but with AJB and DK there, I'm definitely willing to consider the fact that he could have broken out as a true freshman. I mean, people give the pass to Bama WR who never break out, so why not Moore?

As for comparisons, I can't help but see Steve Smith somewhat, but Moore hasn't shown THAT level of toughness. I saw one comparison to AB but I'm not seeing it. He's got great routes, but is faster and it will be very hard to match ABs level of route running. Not really a knock with either comp because those are 2 of the best to do it.

I have seen a lot of Lockett comps which I can get behind, but I'll throw one more out there. Emmanuel Sanders. I saw a bit of Santonio Holmes comps but I think he was more of an outside guy? Same with DJAX who is basically the lazy man's comp for any WR under 5'11 that runs 4.3

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 am

Great write-up. Makes me want to take another look at him. I was intrigued, but not completely sold on him. With all of the good smaller/fast WRs this year, I find it ridiculous that Waddle is still considered such a lock for early first round in the NFL draft and FF drafts. There are many similar or even better options available that wouldn't require as much draft capital.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:17 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:49 am I was absent from the forums mostly yesterday and I didn't get to see this gem posted when it happened. Cameron Giles is routinely one of my favorite posters here at DLF and this is a big reason why.

I look at so many players that I forget exact numbers and I didn't see it written so I had to look it up: 5'9" 185 pounds. So many small guys this year and they all look great. That 40 and 3-cone are ridiculous, plus he had a year to learn with AJB and DK? He probably still talks with those guys and maybe his breakout year would have been earlier without them on the roster!

Cameron do you have any comparables for Moore that you could suggest?
Some best and worst places to get drafted?
What round you expect him to get taken?
And what WR# you think he'll be, both in NFL draft and fantasy?

You don't have to answer all of these but I'm curious for your opinion.
NFL Draft: Round 1-2, outside chance Early 3.
Best Fits: Green Bay, Tennessee
Fantasy Projection: Upside WR2 in PPR

I definitely see the Tyler Lockett comparisons in terms of reliability, route running prowess, and playing bigger than size. I believe Lockett also had a very surprising contested catch percentage in college and it's translated to the pros as well (63.9% the last three seasons). Samuel is another player, who I see some similarity with in terms of plucking and running and overall efficiency from the slot. So, a mix of those two.

Like I said, not overly exciting names, but Lockett was WR8 (total) / WR12 (avg) last season.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:31 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:34 am Love this write-up CG. He's been rising up my draft board. I can't get behind the Bama receivers like I usually do so it will be interesting to see where Moore lands vs consensus.

The routes, separation, quickness and hands should all easily translate to Sunday. That Jeremiah quote sums it up best. You love everything, except for size. Usually 5'10 or 5'11 is my cutoff but this guy has me hooked. My only other concern would be the slot usage and whether or not a team uses him there or tries to force him to play outside. Not saying he can't, just that we didn't see much of it.

Re: Mike's post above, I am always looking for true freshman breakouts as they have a good % of hitting. Even if they don't, it's not the end of the world but with AJB and DK there, I'm definitely willing to consider the fact that he could have broken out as a true freshman. I mean, people give the pass to Bama WR who never break out, so why not Moore?

As for comparisons, I can't help but see Steve Smith somewhat, but Moore hasn't shown THAT level of toughness. I saw one comparison to AB but I'm not seeing it. He's got great routes, but is faster and it will be very hard to match ABs level of route running. Not really a knock with either comp because those are 2 of the best to do it.

I have seen a lot of Lockett comps which I can get behind, but I'll throw one more out there. Emmanuel Sanders. I saw a bit of Santonio Holmes comps but I think he was more of an outside guy? Same with DJAX who is basically the lazy man's comp for any WR under 5'11 that runs 4.3
I think the slot usage actually helps Moore, because he has a clearly defined role that he was elite at in college. Nobody gained more yards from the slot in the last two seasons than him. He steps into a high floor role for his strengths and they can mix him in outside as his career progresses. In theory, a freshman breakout was possible if he wasn't playing with the talent he did.

The Sanders comparison I can see a little. I agree that Holmes and D-Jax are bad comps.

You mentioned freshman breakouts...Rondale Moore is one of the rare freshman breakouts in this class. Unfortunately, he didn't produce a ton afterwards because of injuries.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:34 am

Very nice write up! Always enjoy reading your take on players.

I like Moore as a slot receiver in the NFL in the right system. I just hate the way his left arm is a tell in his routes. When he learns what to better do with that extremity he could be a future star in the slot.

He reminds me a bit of Cole Beasley the way he runs routes which is a compliment. Moore is a bit more athletic.

I have him as an early 2nd round value in fantasy rookie drafts. Think he will be pretty consistent fantasy flex type player for years once he develops.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:38 am

Trying to think of a topic I could bring up to get this thread locked. I thought I was guaranteed to get him at 11, but anymore I see him making his way into everyone's top 5 for WR. If no RBs outside of the big three get any huge bumps, I don't see how he goes any later than 10 (3 rbs, pitts, tlaw, 5 wrs). I'd personally take him as early as 6.

Great write-up, and couldn't agree more :clap: but also :shh: :shh: