Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 am

Now that my article finally posted, I can say what I've wanted to say for some time. Etienne is the next CMC/Kamara/Cook type RB to hit the NFL.

He checks all the boxes for me. He runs power and zone, he has great vision to find cut back lanes, he's patient behind his blocks, he's shifty, quick, and fast. He can catch and block so he's also a complete three down back. He's the PERFECT size (5'10") and weight (215) that NFL teams look for.

-- He ran a 4.40 second 40 despite bulking up. He got bigger and he's still fast!
-- His broad jump is nearly a foot farther than NFL scouts look for. The broad jump measures explosiveness and leg strength.
-- His SPARQ score is a 117. Average is between 45 and 55. Elite is over 90.

Etienne has to find the hole and go. He made a quick decision before noticing that a D-lineman beat his man. Etienne scraped the edge of his defenders back and "got small" to get through the line. He met a linebacker/safety immediately at the next level and juked him out of his shoes, then did a spin move to get free for a touchdown.

Obviously this was a great play, but he was hardly even touched! I could watch 20 minutes of Etienne and find 30-40 highlights that I love. There's so much greatness to his game that I literally had to stop watching because I was having difficulty choosing which examples I liked the most.

Harris might be a better fit for some NFL teams who need more of a power back, but Etienne is easily the better fantasy prospect of the two imo, especially in PPR leagues. Draft with confidence!

EDIT: The following is a running play that Virginia knows is going to happen. They out-number Clemson blockers 4-1, and Etienne still finds a way to not only get the first down, but the touchdown. This is simply amazing:

EDIT2: AAAAHHHH! I LOVE IT!

ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby Ice » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:34 am

Over and Under before the RB not to be named appears in this thread?

I agree this kid is the real deal and can play. Thought he would have been the top back last year if he was in the draft.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 am

To me, he's in the top tier by himself of this class at rb, and that isn't a dig at Harris or Williams. He's not on the Barkley level for me, but he would have been my top rb last year, had he come out
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:47 am

I certainly think Kamara makes for an apt comparison - already read & enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:49 am

I’m going to disagree on this one too. Entienne is talented, but he’s also flawed. He has a real problem running between the tackles in tight quarters. He doesn’t fit into skinny holes well, he runs too upright, and he goes down on even moderate contact. The inside runs that you see on his highlight films also have gaping holes blasted by his O line, who also did well in getting to the second level on their blocks. Watch his game film where his line was evenly matched and the seams were NFL size and he seriously struggled inside.

In space, he’s a nightmare for Ds. He has sufficient imagination to set up defenders to miss and destroys tackling angles with his speed. He catches easily enough and can run routes from outside the tackle box.

To think he’s a better RB than Taylor, who has a 3 down skill set and can play in any down and distance, is just silly IMO. And I’ll pay a dollar to a dime that his playing weight in the NFL isn’t going to be that soft 215 lbs he showed up with at his pro day. But he could be a tremendous asset in the right offense with the right coach. Kamara is a fair comparison. Unfortunately, David Wilson is also. He’s going to have to land in the right spot to be high impact, and it’s not going to be as a 3 down RB, because his game simply doesn’t support it.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:33 am

I replied once but if I cannot support the claim without the proof to back it up, then I don't want to post it, so I deleted it.

I do not think Kamara is the best pure runner in the NFL, nor do I think Etienne will be, but what separates these two from other RBs is their ability to catch passes and be a PPR monster, gaining yards and touchdowns in both facets of the game.

If we're talking pure runner, I think JT is better, no contest.

EDIT: This is my exact quote from the article I just posted: "This kid has all the makings of the next Alvin Kamara... providing he lands in a situation that allows for his skills to be utilized as such."
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:33 am I replied once but if I cannot support the claim without the proof to back it up, then I don't want to post it, so I deleted it.

I do not think Kamara is the best pure runner in the NFL, nor do I think Etienne will be, but what separates these two from other RBs is their ability to catch passes and be a PPR monster, gaining yards and touchdowns in both facets of the game.

If we're talking pure runner, I think JT is better, no contest.
I saw that and almost said something because I found the stats but decided to let it go since you deleted.

Again, I agree that if Entienne is used to run and catch in space on the outside that he could be quite the weapon, as I said earlier. But if he’s drafted to be used in a traditional manner as a 3 down back where he’s expected to run inside as well as operate in space, I believe that plays into his weakness. He’s going to need the right system and the right coach, and probably will need to be part of a RBBC to maximize his potential. He’s much more landing spot dependent than Williams or Harris, again IMO.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 amif he’s drafted to be used in a traditional manner as a 3 down back where he’s expected to run inside as well as operate in space, I believe that plays into his weakness
Agreed.
He’s much more landing spot dependent than Williams or Harris, again IMO.
Yep, agreed again. I think Harris can absolutely land anywhere and be successful. I think the ceiling on Etienne is far higher given the proper placement.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

Lazy Ass Mastermind
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby Lazy Ass Mastermind » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 am

This article is making me question my choice at 1.01. I was leaning Najee but based on this I may have to reconsider.

What are the dream landing spots for ETN?

Also @dlf_mikeh I really appreciate the insight & the article. Awesome job and thank you. I am curious though... you put some of your best takes in the article. Mind sharing some of your worst? None of us are perfect so it might be helpful to add some balance.
12 Team, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
QB: Joe Burrow, Justin Fields
RB: Najee Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, Aaron Jones, James Conner, Jamaal Williams, Isiah Pacheco
WR: Tee Higgins, DJ Moore, Amari Cooper, Terry Mclaurin, Treylon Burks, Courtland Sutton, Parris Campbell
TE: Dallas Goedert, Evan Engram
DST: Dallas Cowboys
K: Tyler Bass

*League is Keep 7, 20 man rosters

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:07 am

The most anticipated article of the offseason for me and you did not disappoint. Can't wait for the next one.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 am

:clap:
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:29 am

This could potentially be the most I've disagreed with any of your previous opinion pieces. I think hes at the top of this weak RB class with Harris, but to me he is nowhere near the pure rushing talent of JT and nowhere near the overall talent as Barkley.

On another point, I do appreciate you posting a positive review on a player rather than the "avoid this guy" or "biggest disappointment of the class" type threads.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:30 am

Lazy bleep Mastermind wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 am This article is making me question my choice at 1.01. I was leaning Najee but based on this I may have to reconsider.

What are the dream landing spots for ETN?

Also @dlf_mikeh I really appreciate the insight & the article. Awesome job and thank you. I am curious though... you put some of your best takes in the article. Mind sharing some of your worst? None of us are perfect so it might be helpful to add some balance.
(1) You are a paid member? I just updated your forum profile to reflect that.
(2) Great username!

Dream landing spots for Etienne imo would be any pass happy offense with a need at RB. Atlanta, Arizona, and remember how good Bell was with the Steelers? The Chargers and 49ers might round it out for me as my top 5 (even though the Niners are not a high volume passing offense.... YET!)

I only gave my best takes as a DLF writer so I'll do the same for my worst takes:

-- I called Josh Kelley a "quality late pick". I know the jury is still out, but so far that's not looking good and I don't feel good about that anymore.

-- I called Ekeler a "sell high" at the end of 2019, saying that he'll be replaced via the draft. Wrong.

-- I said the following about Ronald Jones in 2019: "In my opinion, coupled with Noah’s well-written article back in May, this is the last chance you have to sell Jones before his value diminishes to zero. He’s made no improvement on his skillset, and his talent alone isn’t enough to save him." I still don't love Jones, but I was obviously wrong here.

-- I said Alex Barnes would have a probability of success as high as 80%. He literally played his way out of the league in just a few months.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 am

CGW wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:29 ambut to me he is nowhere near the pure rushing talent of JT and nowhere near the overall talent as Barkley.
Then we agree, actually. Pure rusher = JT wins hands down. I expect more of a Kamara-type career with Etienne. Do you know how many 1,000 yard rushing seasons Kamara has had? Zero. But he's elite because of his ability to be effective in two facets of the game on a pass happy offense. I feel that same way about Etienne.
On another point, I do appreciate you posting a positive review on a player rather than the "avoid this guy" or "biggest disappointment of the class" type threads.
ehh... I do that sometimes. Remember my Miles Sanders love piece? I might as well have sent him a valentines card. :lol:
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 am

I feel like ETN is getting similar treatment to many other prospects that have been high on the radar for a long time. We get bored with them and elevate the new flavor of draft season while nitpicking the crap out of these longstanding prospects.

I will say this though, I think Harris is a better pass catcher than ETN. I believe it was the 2019 season where Harris went up over Patrick Queen and just Mossed him. Thats not something I see from ETN.