General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:16 pm

CGW wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 pm
Dragon_Breath5 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm I still wonder why he went back to college though for his senior year from a football perspective. It doesn't seem like his draft stock is any different, though I guess he went from being RB3-5 last year to RB 1-2 now.
He reportedly promised his Mom/family that he would get his degree. I've also read that he's a role model is his hometown (Jennings, LA) so this explanation makes sense.
Both of those are easy and noble excuses to make. In reality, it also probably had something to so him being rated lower than he had hoped last year in a very strong class. He bet on himself going back to school for a draft class that has minimal talent/depth.
Rated lower by Who?
Would like to see those documents.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm I still wonder why he went back to college though for his senior year from a football perspective. It doesn't seem like his draft stock is any different, though I guess he went from being RB3-5 last year to RB 1-2 now.
He reportedly promised his Mom/family that he would get his degree. I've also read that he's a role model is his hometown (Jennings, LA) so this explanation makes sense.
Both of those are easy and noble excuses to make. In reality, it also probably had something to so him being rated lower than he had hoped last year in a very strong class. He bet on himself going back to school for a draft class that has minimal talent/depth.
cool
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Mike, in PPR that is also 1/4 pt per carry, would you still prefer Etienne over Harris? Or would that scoring system change things for you?
Bonus question, in that format but superflex as well, would you take T. Lance or Etienne?

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 am

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pmMike, in PPR that is also 1/4 pt per carry, would you still prefer Etienne over Harris? Or would that scoring system change things for you?

Bonus question, in that format but superflex as well, would you take T. Lance or Etienne?
First Question: It's going to heavily depend on placement. If I was forced to pick prior to the draft, I'd probably pick Harris because he'll be successful in every situation, where-as Etienne could be a rock star but only in a good handful of spots. If the landing spot for Etienne is desirable, then it's Etienne for me all day long.

Second Question: Etienne, no contest for me. I don't trust Lance. I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagreed though.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:21 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 am
sugbear65 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pmMike, in PPR that is also 1/4 pt per carry, would you still prefer Etienne over Harris? Or would that scoring system change things for you?

First Question: It's going to heavily depend on placement. If I was forced to pick prior to the draft, I'd probably pick Harris because he'll be successful in every situation, where-as Etienne could be a rock star but only in a good handful of spots. If the landing spot for Etienne is desirable, then it's Etienne for me all day long.

Second Question: Etienne, no contest for me. I don't trust Lance. I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagreed though.
nice your first answer make me feel better about taking harris before etienne last week :D
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am

If he believed so strongly in his talent he would have entered the draft last year. It would have gotten him to his second contract 1 year earlier and theoretically would have extended his pro career by a year. With the rookie wage scale in place, the real money comes after the rookie contract expires. If he can play in the NFL, he lost capital over his career by going back no matter how much he climbs in draft choice. The only guys that type of gamble works for are guys who haven’t broken out yet and then do so the following year so that their draft choice and opportunity climbs substantially.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:41 am

I'm torn on Etienne. I definitely think he is over-hyped due to Clemson and perceived speed, but can see where in the right system and used correctly he can be very effective. I don't see him as a 3-down back at all, but neither is Kamara. I understand the initial comp of Etienne to Kamara, but think Etienne has more straight line speed, but Kamara is much better with lateral movement, which is how he is so effective.

My ranking of Etienne will depend on how high and where he goes. He could be a high upside producer, but just as easily (or more likely) a committee back that isn't used in a way to produce consistent FF numbers. Unless something drastically changes, You don't see many teams or coaches so far, using this type of back imaginatively in order to get good FF production out of him.

tresskid84
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tresskid84 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am

If he believed so strongly in his talent he would have entered the draft last year. It would have gotten him to his second contract 1 year earlier and theoretically would have extended his pro career by a year. With the rookie wage scale in place, the real money comes after the rookie contract expires. If he can play in the NFL, he lost capital over his career by going back no matter how much he climbs in draft choice. The only guys that type of gamble works for are guys who haven’t broken out yet and then do so the following year so that their draft choice and opportunity climbs substantially.
This i think is fair to say. But i can't put a price on a promise he made to his mom. "Excuse" or not.
2021-Orphan Rebuild, 12tm PPR, SF, 1.75 TE Prem
2 SF, 8 Flex

QB: Mayfield, Z Wilson, D Jones, Heinicke, Rudolph, Foles
RB: Herbert, Felton, Evans, Nwangwu, Calais
WR: D Smith, Waddle, Chark, J Palmer, D P-J, Raymond, Washington, Jauan, Darden, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, C Johnson, Proche, Shi Smith, A Tate, ESB, JJAW
TE: O'Shaughnessy, Moreau, Granson, Tyree J, Hu Bryant, Hopkins, Fortson
2022 Picks: 1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 2.01, 2.09, and 3.02
2023 Picks: six 1sts, my 2nd

2021-Orphan Rebuild, 16tm PPR, SF, 1.5pr TE, DEVY:
1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 SF, 3 Flex
Draft is rookies and devy (only 2022 NFL eligible)

QB: Tua, Fields, Brissett, Foles, Purdy(D), T Morgan(D)
RB: Etienne, Gainwell, Homer, T Jones, J Hill, Ragas, Sargent, Calais, Funk,
WR: Cephus, Nico, J Palmer, Gage, Quez, P Williams, JJAW, Strachan, Proche, Lil'Jordan, Shi Smith, Fryfogle(D)
TE: Moreau, Maxx, H Long, RSJ, Tyree J
2022 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.12, 3.02, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.15, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, 4.07, 4.12, 4.15

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:54 am

tresskid84 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am

This i think is fair to say. But i can't put a price on a promise he made to his mom. "Excuse" or not.
Yep - I agree that this is a more likely reason for his not coming out last year.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:58 pm

Etienne had a late first early second draft grade from the committee last year, he went back for his degree. You only have to watch one interview with him to see that it’s true, he’s got great character.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:58 pm Etienne had a late first early second draft grade from the committee last year, he went back for his degree. You only have to watch one interview with him to see that it’s true, he’s got great character.
Source? I’m not calling you out, just curious if this is more than an opinion.

I’ve thought a good bit about this topic, and decided it’s mostly a non-factor for me. Too many variables to tally it as a pro or con. Was he smart to avoid a deep class, with or without a high grade? Was he given a bad grade and held back to try and do better? Was it purely to graduate/win a championship? I don’t really know. Likely a combo of it all, and right this second it looks smart. Last years deep class he woulda gone where? Very very unlikely first round. Regardless of what speculative grades are. Cuz teams knew good backs were there in the 2nd, due to depth and whatnot. This year? Probly still not a 1st rounder, but better odds imo.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:00 am

honcho55 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:58 pm Etienne had a late first early second draft grade from the committee last year, he went back for his degree. You only have to watch one interview with him to see that it’s true, he’s got great character.
Source? I’m not calling you out, just curious if this is more than an opinion.

I’ve thought a good bit about this topic, and decided it’s mostly a non-factor for me. Too many variables to tally it as a pro or con. Was he smart to avoid a deep class, with or without a high grade? Was he given a bad grade and held back to try and do better? Was it purely to graduate/win a championship? I don’t really know. Likely a combo of it all, and right this second it looks smart. Last years deep class he woulda gone where? Very very unlikely first round. Regardless of what speculative grades are. Cuz teams knew good backs were there in the 2nd, due to depth and whatnot. This year? Probly still not a 1st rounder, but better odds imo.
https://www.si.com/college/clemson/foot ... to-clemson

There is a video of the full interview somewhere and he mentions that he had a late first, early second round grade and that he wasn’t leaving Clemson without his degree for the second round. Swinney also said he had a second round grade.

I don’t really know why people argue over it lol he would have been drafted in the Swift to Akers range last year, he wasn’t getting out of the second - he obviously rated his degree more.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks that's interesting. I thought I remembered seeing him getting a third round grade from some sources last year (I definitely remember ppl saying it on here) but I never actually went and verified if it was true, just took it at face value, and have been lowering him in my head ever since (apparently without merit!)
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 am

Pet_Smith wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:18 am Thanks that's interesting. I thought I remembered seeing him getting a third round grade from some sources last year (I definitely remember ppl saying it on here) but I never actually went and verified if it was true, just took it at face value, and have been lowering him in my head ever since (apparently without merit!)
I’ve seen it here myself. He does say he returned to improve his grade but it’s from a second to first, he’s not really using it as an “excuse”.

Harris is actually the one who specifically came back because he didn’t get the draft grade relative to the other backs in the class which Saban confirmed, and he’s probably the consensus RB1 :think:

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 am

cantguardjake wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 am
Pet_Smith wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:18 am Thanks that's interesting. I thought I remembered seeing him getting a third round grade from some sources last year (I definitely remember ppl saying it on here) but I never actually went and verified if it was true, just took it at face value, and have been lowering him in my head ever since (apparently without merit!)
I’ve seen it here myself. He does say he returned to improve his grade but it’s from a second to first, he’s not really using it as an “excuse”.

Harris is actually the one who specifically came back because he didn’t get the draft grade relative to the other backs in the class which Saban confirmed, and he’s probably the consensus RB1 :think:
Probably because Harris had a much better year.