remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby remedy29 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:03 am

thebeast wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:31 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:03 am
dynastyninja wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:42 am

I'm sure you must realize how absurd that statement is. Saquon's rookie year will be better than all three if their entire careers combined.
People were paying 4 firsts for Barkley. It was absurd.

Michael and Penny can't stay healthy and Guice is a total sleeze. Lot of factors go into these things.
While I'm not a Barkley truther or anything I'd just note that Barkley helped a lot of owners win championships his first year and was a good contributor his second year. None of the other guys you mentioned have contributed at all so I don't think your initial statement is accurate.
Do you think the majority of Barkley rookie year owners went worse (pick 1.01) to championship all because of Barkley's great fantasy rookie season? Perhaps team's spent high to trade for him and won, but even then, have to think that trade crippled their fantasy team for years to come.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:14 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 am
mild wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:01 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:50 pm

Kevin Durant also happens to be one of the best scorers and shooters...ever. So, it's a tougher comparison. An all-time great would certainly have a better chance of still being really, really good post-surgery, even if they lose a little bit of explosion and movement.

Whereas...James Robinson? Who knows.
Kevin Durant was also out for 552 days after tearing his Achilles. Y'know, just so long as you're sure this is the comparison you want to make.

He also doesn't play a sport where it's legal AND encouraged "best practice" for someone to dive at your knees and legs to completely halt your forward momentum. Repeatedly. Like, 20 times a game.

I personally don't think I'd invoke a 7 foot tall all-time-great shooter as a comparison to an NFL running back, personally. But I think some people here remember my opinions on that.
The point is the ability to recover, not a comparison of what they do or what skills are needed. I just find it incredible that Durant was able to come back and be more explosive at his age, while Kobe was never able to fully recover. Looking into it treatment has changed, which has likely made a significant difference.
Treatments are always evolving. Kobe Bryant at the time was getting the best treatment in the world for his Achilles. But, Kobe was also 35 years old when he tore his.

Just as Durant made a full recovery this year, there was a player in MLB this year who re-tore his achilles during rehab this season. All of these players are getting the same treatment, but it's still up in the air as far as returning to form. Evolving treatment can still lead to players not returning to form.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:14 pm
thebeast wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 am
mild wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:01 pm

Kevin Durant was also out for 552 days after tearing his Achilles. Y'know, just so long as you're sure this is the comparison you want to make.

He also doesn't play a sport where it's legal AND encouraged "best practice" for someone to dive at your knees and legs to completely halt your forward momentum. Repeatedly. Like, 20 times a game.

I personally don't think I'd invoke a 7 foot tall all-time-great shooter as a comparison to an NFL running back, personally. But I think some people here remember my opinions on that.
The point is the ability to recover, not a comparison of what they do or what skills are needed. I just find it incredible that Durant was able to come back and be more explosive at his age, while Kobe was never able to fully recover. Looking into it treatment has changed, which has likely made a significant difference.
Treatments are always evolving. Kobe Bryant at the time was getting the best treatment in the world for his Achilles. But, Kobe was also 35 years old when he tore his.

Just as Durant made a full recovery this year, there was a player in MLB this year who re-tore his achilles during rehab this season. All of these players are getting the same treatment, but it's still up in the air as far as returning to form. Evolving treatment can still lead to players not returning to form.
actually the treatment has significantly changed leading to far better results. You should google it if you’re interested. It was pretty interesting to learn about. There are a lot of assumptions around here that aren’t lining up with the actual scientific information available.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:48 pm

remedy29 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:03 am
thebeast wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:31 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:03 am

People were paying 4 firsts for Barkley. It was absurd.

Michael and Penny can't stay healthy and Guice is a total sleeze. Lot of factors go into these things.
While I'm not a Barkley truther or anything I'd just note that Barkley helped a lot of owners win championships his first year and was a good contributor his second year. None of the other guys you mentioned have contributed at all so I don't think your initial statement is accurate.
Do you think the majority of Barkley rookie year owners went worse (pick 1.01) to championship all because of Barkley's great fantasy rookie season? Perhaps team's spent high to trade for him and won, but even then, have to think that trade crippled their fantasy team for years to come.
Maybe, but do you really equate Barkley to the other guys mentioned? Not to mention Barkley still has upside if he can get away from the Giants and go somewhere that has actual linemen.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:18 pm

I dont think Etienne is Barkley but i definitely do think he is a unique talent who is perfectly suited for todays NFL. The upside on Etienne is immense like an Alvin Kamara. Trevor Lawrence also knows Etiennes tendencies and that shouldnt be forgotten about. If Etienne goes out there and makes Lawrence a better player then he works his way into elite volume.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:18 pm I dont think Etienne is Barkley but i definitely do think he is a unique talent who is perfectly suited for todays NFL. The upside on Etienne is immense like an Alvin Kamara. Trevor Lawrence also knows Etiennes tendencies and that shouldnt be forgotten about. If Etienne goes out there and makes Lawrence a better player then he works his way into elite volume.
For the record, I didn't compare Etienne to Barkley, I compared him to CMC/Kamara just like you did.

Gotta read/scan the OP to get my full opinion as to what I meant.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:20 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:01 pm
Patsfan86 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:18 pm I dont think Etienne is Barkley but i definitely do think he is a unique talent who is perfectly suited for todays NFL. The upside on Etienne is immense like an Alvin Kamara. Trevor Lawrence also knows Etiennes tendencies and that shouldnt be forgotten about. If Etienne goes out there and makes Lawrence a better player then he works his way into elite volume.
For the record, I didn't compare Etienne to Barkley, I compared him to CMC/Kamara just like you did.

Any updated insights? Still just as bullish?
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:10 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Ya, i got you, this thread has just devolved into being about Barkely. Are you still as high on Etienne?

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:38 am

Finally have some news on him, ive never seen a player be this hush about recovery, total opposite of Cam Akers where we heard something every week. Take this how you want.

\https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=15385

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Seeing how fast Akers recovered value I want to buy some Etienne

I don't think he is as good of a talent as Akers and the situation is way worse but it seems clear that we are starved enough for young RB talent around the league that it won't take much for Etienne to re-gain value

Could make a tidy profit if you missed the Akers buy window

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:22 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm Seeing how fast Akers recovered value I want to buy some Etienne

I don't think he is as good of a talent as Akers and the situation is way worse but it seems clear that we are starved enough for young RB talent around the league that it won't take much for Etienne to re-gain value

ETN had a different injury. Robinson had the Achilles. I'd consider both buy-lows.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:22 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm Seeing how fast Akers recovered value I want to buy some Etienne

ETN had a different injury. Robinson had the Achilles. I'd consider both buy-lows.
Oh I know. I think the end result is the same though

Etienne just needs a solid game or two in his first 4 next year and you'll have someone ready to pay low RB1 prices

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 pm

Has he? I mean, his value has recovered from just after the injury, not that he's back playing, but he was top 5ish at his position, and first round start up value. Can't imagine he's close to that again. What do we think Akers value is at right now? I am just privy to the talk on these boards, and obviously it's too early to tell his startup value a day later, but where are your thoughts on his value in rookie picks, and what do you predict his startup ADP will be? I'd be interested in Etienne, but the Jags offense is my biggest concern. Unlike Akers, he's not in a good offense at the moment. What would you say is a good price to pay for Etienne? Curious what others think would be the "buy price" for him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:07 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 pm

Has he? I mean, his value has recovered from just after the injury, not that he's back playing, but he was top 5ish at his position, and first round start up value. Can't imagine he's close to that again. What do we think Akers value is at right now? I am just privy to the talk on these boards, and obviously it's too early to tell his startup value a day later, but where are your thoughts on his value in rookie picks, and what do you predict his startup ADP will be? I'd be interested in Etienne, but the Jags offense is my biggest concern. Unlike Akers, he's not in a good offense at the moment. What would you say is a good price to pay for Etienne? Curious what others think would be the "buy price" for him.
Akers on Keeptradecut is back to safely within the top 15 RBs. Top 5 was always overweight but and KTC isn't everything but people were dumping him for random 2nds when the news came out and late 1sts even a week or two ago

Etienne might be tricky to put a pick value on for a buy because the owner likely views him as the best RB (or up there) in a stronger class (debatable IMO but that's the consensus view)

I think "trading down" from a more valuable RB would be a better way to get him

Najee for Etienne++(could probably be an early 1st or even more which is insane)

It's risky but even an Ekeler or Kamara for Etienne+1st if you aren't a true contender

I love Ekeler but it's hard to see him top this year (RB2 and RB3 in PPG). It's not normally the type of trades you see dynasty traders make with a young 1st round RB+1st for an older RB but the injury discount like with Akers makes it very possible

I'd be all over a Gibson for Etienne+early to mid 2nd too. Or Chubb for Etienne+

I agree on the offense though. Still don't think they can get any worse than this year

I'd be pretty confident he gains value from now by the early season mark next year. At that point you can sell him for a profit if you still aren't sold or hold if you are (why I love draft picks--rookies almost always gain value if they show even something--after that you can punt them for a value gain if you aren't sold)

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:59 am

I like the trade values StripesfromKC mentioned.

As far as a comp, I see Etienne as a Swift like player. Good talent as a runner and a receiver, but tossed to a bad team. I figure if Swift can turn fantasy RB1 out of his situation, Etienne can too. Of course, Etienne hasn't done it yet so his present value should be below Swift. But I think six weeks into the 2022 season, Etienne will be compared favorably to Swift.

Honestly, I don't know what an real trade for Etienne would look like right now. But when I hear people still putting RB1 and/or 1st+ value on Dobbins, I feel Etienne should be right there with him. I'd definitely buy Etienne from anyone willing to sell him for less than RB1 value.

Some of the trade valuations mentioned focus on trading Etienne for "higher value" targets. Looking at it the other way, I could see offers like Terry McL for Etienne. Or AStB+Fournette/or/KHunt for Etienne. Or MCarter+Higgins/Aiyuk/Jeudy for Etienne. I'd rather have Etienne in all those deals, but I could see situations where the other side works for other owners.

I have a hard time figuring out which side needs a + in a Etienne for Barkley deal.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser