Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Re: Opinion: Travis Etienne is the best RB prospect since Barkley

Postby MEuRaH » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 am

mgscott wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 am
cantguardjake wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 amhe’s probably the consensus RB1 :think:
Probably because Harris had a much better year.
Josh Jacobs never rushed for more than 640 yards in any of his three years at Alabama, and not only was he not the best RB in college (based on stats) he wasn't even the best RB on his team (Damien Harris). He was, however, the consensus #1 RB.

The reason why Najee Harris could be the consensus #1 RB is because his play style fits in so many systems, so he has far more good landing spots. The guy is a true three down back in ever sense of the word and will absolutely be a beast in the NFL. However, the ceiling on Etienne is far higher imo because of his versatility in the passing game, ie Alvin Kamara. There are a handful of places Etienne could go that would absolutely dominate the league, and make him the consensus #1 pick in their eyes.

Either way, I think we have two outstanding backs this year. It's going to be fun to see if either or both of these guys get taken in the first round. Pittsburgh is rumored to be interested in the late first in one of these guys.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:50 am

At this point I think Harris is the clear number one but only because he'll excel in any system (IMO). Etienne's draft stock is predicated on draft landing spot.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:52 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 am
cantguardjake wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 amhe’s probably the consensus RB1 :think:
Josh Jacobs never rushed for more than 640 yards in any of his three years at Alabama, and not only was he not the best RB in college (based on stats) he wasn't even the best RB on his team (Damien Harris). He was, however, the consensus #1 RB.

The reason why Najee Harris could be the consensus #1 RB is because his play style fits in so many systems, so he has far more good landing spots. The guy is a true three down back in ever sense of the word and will absolutely be a beast in the NFL. However, the ceiling on Etienne is far higher imo because of his versatility in the passing game, ie Alvin Kamara. There are a handful of places Etienne could go that would absolutely dominate the league, and make him the consensus #1 pick in their eyes.

Either way, I think we have two outstanding backs this year. It's going to be fun to see if either or both of these guys get taken in the first round. Pittsburgh is rumored to be interested in the late first in one of these guys.
Josh was an interesting case. He was the consensus #1 RB due to projection, which is rarely the case most years. I can't remember another consensus #1 RB that didn't have great college production to back it up. It was a very weak year for RB's that year, he looked good in his split role and he is from Alabama (right, or usually wrong, that gets you a bump each year). I think this is also a relatively weak year for RBs, but Harris has great production to go along with Alabama and other factors. I'm not as optimistic about Etienne because I do think he's limited to a specific role and I think the odds are much greater that the team who drafts him doesn't utilize him enough to be a stud vs one who does. If he does hit, great. i likely won't be owning him to reap the rewards as I think the odds are far greater he becomes an RB2-3 at best. I do agree his ceiling is higher than Harris but he has a far lower floor. Harris is possibly better than Etienne in the passing game, just not a home run threat with it.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:36 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 am The reason why Najee Harris could be the consensus #1 RB is because his play style fits in so many systems, so he has far more good landing spots. The guy is a true three down back in ever sense of the word and will absolutely be a beast in the NFL. However, the ceiling on Etienne is far higher imo because of his versatility in the passing game, ie Alvin Kamara. There are a handful of places Etienne could go that would absolutely dominate the league, and make him the consensus #1 pick in their eyes.
I like both guys but are we sure Etienne is even significantly better than Harris in this regard? They have very similar receiving stats the last two years and Najee was catching passes downfield (not just dumpoffs) as well.

If Etienne's upside is Alvin Kamara style usage, Najee's is Saquon/CMC style. That's not to say he's as good as those guys, but part of the allure of Najee is not just that he can be a workhorse in terms of carries, but that he can be one of those 80+ catch players while doing it if everything breaks right.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:21 pm

I’m confused as to why people think Etienne is dependent on landing spot. He’s got NFL size, NFL athleticism, and he’s a plus as a pass catcher.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the Panthers once drafted Jonathan Stewart to share the ball with DeAngelo Williams, so yes, everybody’s fantasy success is dependent on their landing spot to some degree. But I don’t see the issue with Etienne. He’s a strong prospect.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 pm

I’m confused by the belief that ETN is a superior pass game back than Harris as well. I’ve been pretty impressed with Harris in the pass game. I think he is more than solid there. The ETN perception to me feels like his ability to take it to the house thereafter, rather than the overall pass catching ability. Harris has an elite ability to find the end zone, just not necessarily from as far a distance.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 pm

I mean good on the OP to stick his neck out on this one but for me Etienne isn't even the best Rb in the class. That title is held by Harris for me.

Etienne would have been 5th best RB for me in last years class and thats where I had him ranked just before he decided to return and I removed him from my board.

I'll eat crowe however if he turns out to be the best RB since Saquon.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:21 pm I’m confused as to why people think Etienne is dependent on landing spot. He’s got NFL size, NFL athleticism, and he’s a plus as a pass catcher.

I’ve mentioned this before, but the Panthers once drafted Jonathan Stewart to share the ball with DeAngelo Williams, so yes, everybody’s fantasy success is dependent on their landing spot to some degree. But I don’t see the issue with Etienne. He’s a strong prospect.
I would say for me it's because he isn't a 3 down back, doesn't have ideal NFL size and struggles to run between the tackles. If his team doesn't scheme him for getting to the outside or in open field on passes, he could struggle and become forgettable. I see more backs like him get forgotten after a year or two vs high production backs.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:35 pm

mgscott wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:21 pm I’m confused as to why people think Etienne is dependent on landing spot. He’s got NFL size, NFL athleticism, and he’s a plus as a pass catcher.

I would say for me it's because he isn't a 3 down back, doesn't have ideal NFL size and struggles to run between the tackles. If his team doesn't scheme him for getting to the outside or in open field on passes, he could struggle and become forgettable. I see more backs like him get forgotten after a year or two vs high production backs.
Idk man, he’s really similar to Miles Sanders and D’Andre Swift. He was more successful than either in college, albeit with less competition.

Who do you think is a comparable player that busted?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:36 pm

It's mostly his vision. The right scheme can cover that up

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:28 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:08 pm I’m confused by the belief that ETN is a superior pass game back than Harris as well. I’ve been pretty impressed with Harris in the pass game. I think he is more than solid there. The ETN perception to me feels like his ability to take it to the house thereafter, rather than the overall pass catching ability. Harris has an elite ability to find the end zone, just not necessarily from as far a distance.
I feel like both of them improved almost equally as receivers throughout college. Etienne was a four-year starter and went from 5 receptions as a freshman to 48 as a senior.

Najee was a two-year starter. He went from 6 receptions in spare playing time to 43 receptions as a senior. Najee runs a mean wheel route too. He's a much more physical WR than Etienne for obvious reasons.

I feel like they're definitely closer than meets the eye. Both can play all three downs, but it's the NFL and there's almost always a second back who gets PT.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:48 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:35 pm
mgscott wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Idk man, he’s really similar to Miles Sanders and D’Andre Swift. He was more successful than either in college, albeit with less competition.

Who do you think is a comparable player that busted?
Swift is bigger and a different kind of runner that Etienne. Miles has not been a bust, but not really broken out yet.

As far as comparable players, not a lot have necessarily busted because they weren't hyped up as day 1-2 picks. But a lot are forgettable. Some of the most heard of: Wendell Smallwood, DeAndre Washington, Jeremy McNichols, Sony Michel, Ito Smith, Darrell Henderson, Justice Hill, Miles Gaskin, Karan Higdon, Jordan Scarlett, Travis Homer, Darrynton Evans, Anthony McFarland.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:50 pm

“Can’t run between the tackles”’ is another false Etienne narrative that makes the rounds. He literally led the whole NCAA his freshman year in yards per carry between the tackles.

I know it’s personal preference etc but man, I just don’t see how somebody can watch Etienne and not be impressed.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:57 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 am
Pet_Smith wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:18 am Thanks that's interesting. I thought I remembered seeing him getting a third round grade from some sources last year (I definitely remember ppl saying it on here) but I never actually went and verified if it was true, just took it at face value, and have been lowering him in my head ever since (apparently without merit!)
I’ve seen it here myself. He does say he returned to improve his grade but it’s from a second to first, he’s not really using it as an “excuse”.

Harris is actually the one who specifically came back because he didn’t get the draft grade relative to the other backs in the class which Saban confirmed, and he’s probably the consensus RB1 :think:
And Etienne’s junior year was better than Najee’s senior year, but I don’t see posters knocking him in their rankings for returning to school anywhere near as much was my point.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:03 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:57 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:50 am

I’ve seen it here myself. He does say he returned to improve his grade but it’s from a second to first, he’s not really using it as an “excuse”.

Harris is actually the one who specifically came back because he didn’t get the draft grade relative to the other backs in the class which Saban confirmed, and he’s probably the consensus RB1 :think:
And Etienne’s junior year was better than Najee’s senior year, but I don’t see posters knocking him in their rankings for returning to school anywhere near as much was my point.
Not to excuse it, but it's probably recency bias for Harris. Etienne had a relatively down year statistically and Harris showed what he could do when taking over the backfield.

Also, was Etienne's 2019 better than Harris's 2020? Not sure if even that is true.