Philip Lindsay/James Robinson Candidates for 2021

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Philip Lindsay/James Robinson Candidates for 2021

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:38 pm

Maybe too early of a post to be made until after the draft but who are some rookies almost certainly locked into day 3 capital you are eyeing as a free agent pickup post draft?

And maybe just as important what are some backfields you are looking at like Jacksonville last year as a prime candidate to be taken over by a day 3 pick (ones like AZ, PIT, MIA, NYJ, ATL that are probably going RB in day 2 don't count)?

I've got:

1. Javian Hawkins, Kylin Hill, Jermar Jefferson, Khalil Herbert, Chris Evans

2. 49ers, Chargers (not replacing Ekeler but a complement), Seahawks, Broncos, Texans and just maybe Jaguars again (unfortunately for my J-Rob share)

Who do you have on your radar?

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Philip Lindsay/James Robinson Candidates for 2021

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:21 pm

It’s usually hard to spot those guys until training camp. That’s why they come out of nowhere. I doubt even the biggest Robinson and Lindsay fans even had them rostered until some good press started leaking out.
Also I think you are outside your mind if you think the RBs you listed are going to be free and available as FA pickups after the draft. Maybe one falls because of draft, but those are all likely to be 2nd or 3rd round rookie picks.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:27 pm

I think all those guys you mentioned will be picked in rookie drafts if they aren’t they’re all worth a roster spot.

UDFA guys that succeed often tend to be from FCS and below. 2 guys I’m looking for on waivers are JaQuan Hardy from Tiffin and Jah-Maine Martin from North Carolina A&T (if he declares for the NFL). I’ve also learned that any rostered 49ers RB is worth a stash in deeper leagues as we’ve seen with Mostert and Wilson. Austin Walter is a RB on their roster so why not take a shot.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Am I the only one whose rookie drafts are almost all WRs (with some interspersing of QBs and RBs)

Do guys picked in the 5th to 7th rounds of the real draft really get drafted in most leagues?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:50 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 pm Am I the only one whose rookie drafts are almost all WRs (with some interspersing of QBs and RBs)

Do guys picked in the 5th to 7th rounds of the real draft really get drafted in most leagues?
When are your drafts?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 pm Am I the only one whose rookie drafts are almost all WRs (with some interspersing of QBs and RBs)

Depends on league. All of those guys you mentioned are getting mocked round 3-4ish besides jermar late 2nd and Evans isn’t getting drafted quite a bit. Last year the only guys we have in that range are Huntley Calais and Benjamin. I’m assuming round 5 guys will get drafted this year round 6-7 might not.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:50 pm

When are your drafts?
Pretty soon after the NFL Draft (like a week after)

I thought that was the most popular time on this board

I guess if it's closer to the season these guys are more likely to be going earlier (with training camp RB cuts and hype reports)

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:08 am

One guy I’ll be keeping an eye on throughout the summer is Justin Covington from Villanova. I’m not saying I’m expecting him to hit or anything, I just think his game and build look more a fit for the NFL than the offense Villanova runs. He’s about 5’11, 215 and pretty well rounded rushing profile, solid across the board, but no one attribute that stands out or is a glaring flaw.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 am

As I think has been mentioned, we really can't know right now. It takes a few things to break a certain way right up to the season starting. My money is on no one fitting the Lindsay/Robinson mold because it seems like a pretty unlikely situation (even if it's happened twice recently).

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 am As I think has been mentioned, we really can't know right now. It takes a few things to break a certain way right up to the season starting. My money is on no one fitting the Lindsay/Robinson mold because it seems like a pretty unlikely situation (even if it's happened twice recently).
I agree with this. Sifting through late round fliers and UDFA is moreso about finding a guy who's situation could break right. Jrob had the perfect storm as did Lindsay

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:31 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:50 pm

When are your drafts?
Pretty soon after the NFL Draft (like a week after)

I thought that was the most popular time on this board

I guess if it's closer to the season these guys are more likely to be going earlier (with training camp RB cuts and hype reports)
That’s why I asked. In April, it’s really hard to tell which 6th round RB is going to have a real role, so I think people just draft those 4th round WRs. Closer to the season you see the RBs who popped over the summer go earlier.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 am As I think has been mentioned, we really can't know right now. It takes a few things to break a certain way right up to the season starting. My money is on no one fitting the Lindsay/Robinson mold because it seems like a pretty unlikely situation (even if it's happened twice recently).
I mean there was Ekeler too and Chris Carson and Aaron Jones wasn’t really on many dynasty radars (though more of a late 4th round pick as opposed to a free pickup)

It really isn’t that unlikely or rare

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 am

I think the whole point of those guys is that we never know until training camp.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am
I mean there was Ekeler too and Chris Carson and Aaron Jones wasn’t really on many dynasty radars (though more of a late 4th round pick as opposed to a free pickup)

It really isn’t that unlikely or rare
I think we're talking about different things here. I'm talking about undrafted running backs who end up unexpectedly getting major carries as a rookie for major fantasy production (seemingly out of nowhere).

Lindsay and Robinson each had 1k rushing yards as undrafted rookies. Carson and Jones were both drafted, and all three of the guys you mentioned didn't start producing until their second or third years after they had established themselves a bit.

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm

You're asking for a lot... predicting an extremely rare outlier is difficult. To say the least.

Typically I'm not drafting a RB unless he's taken in the 1st or 2nd round of the NFL draft. It has to do with a teams willingness to give him the ball. RBs are directly tied to draft capital it seems.

I've lost the source but I'm positive there is a huge drop-off in hit rate for RBs drafted in the 3rd round and beyond.

For this reason RBs like Javonte Williams will always either be boosted in rank over a bunch of good WRs prospects or undraftable for me depending if they go in the 3rd+ round or not.