Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: If Gase is fired - boost for Darnold?

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 am
Ice wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am Never been a fan of Darnold and thought he had a high bust factor entering the league.

I guess it couldn't hurt to get a new coach but don't own him anywhere and probably never will. Head-scratching decision maker IMO. His stats over 2 years now as a starter are simply pedestrian at best and some of the worst in the league.
Could be said about any QB on one of the worst football teams of all time?
My take is he had a high bust factor entering the league regardless who drafted him. Going to the Jets didn’t help but it is what it is..

Thought Josh Allen would be a stud and would probably develop into the best QB in the class even though his situation wasn’t that great either.

I didn’t have a 1st grade on Darnold personally and avoided him at all costs.

Saw Sanchez when I evaluated him.

I won’t go into great detail but he has horrible throwing mechanics with his arm and feet.

Accuracy is okay if he sets his feet but his mechanics will lead to both interceptions and fumbles.

Confidence is a concern when things are not going great.

I have always seen him as a quality back up nothing more so never have and never will own him as a starter
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm

There's a lot of overreaction and personal bias in this thread.

I'm a Jets fan, really didn't want Gase. Have to admit the absolute terrible hand he has been given. Last year, he literally gave Darnold all the practice reps while he was recovering from Mono, while leaving his actual gameday starting QB out to dry. His 0-4 record to start last year was because he didn't have a QB that could win an NFL game. He went 7 -5 after that start, Albeit against weak competition.

This year, his top 3 WRs get hurt and his overpayed RB, giving Darnold no options at the skill positions.

Darnold is still a young QB, that still needs development. Today's NFL doesn't allow for that type of development. I don't think Darnold is lost by any stretch, but he does need to find himself in a good situation.
It's weird, his best situation, I'd think, would be to stay with the Jets, on a realistic contract for a developmental QB, while they use their draft picks to improve their team, and specifically their offense. That's unlikely to happen, and the Jets draft Trevor Lawrence, while always being behind the 8 ball in trying to build a team.

To me, the Dolphins are doing it right. By the time that Tua takes over, they'll be competing for the playoffs every year.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:42 pm

remedy29 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:35 pm There's a lot of overreaction and personal bias in this thread.

I'm a Jets fan, really didn't want Gase. Have to admit the absolute terrible hand he has been given. Last year, he literally gave Darnold all the practice reps while he was recovering from Mono, while leaving his actual gameday starting QB out to dry. His 0-4 record to start last year was because he didn't have a QB that could win an NFL game. He went 7 -5 after that start, Albeit against weak competition.

This year, his top 3 WRs get hurt and his overpayed RB, giving Darnold no options at the skill positions.

Darnold is still a young QB, that still needs development. Today's NFL doesn't allow for that type of development. I don't think Darnold is lost by any stretch, but he does need to find himself in a good situation.
It's weird, his best situation, I'd think, would be to stay with the Jets, on a realistic contract for a developmental QB, while they use their draft picks to improve their team, and specifically their offense. That's unlikely to happen, and the Jets draft Trevor Lawrence, while always being behind the 8 ball in trying to build a team.

To me, the Dolphins are doing it right. By the time that Tua takes over, they'll be competing for the playoffs every year.
Top 4. Vyncint Smith was running in front of Perriman and Mims before he went down in training camp. He's worth a pickup in deep leagues as he's probably on waivers btw.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 am

Darnold's career is doomed and everyone knows it, only the most stubborn truthers are left now.

Thought it might be bad, just not *this* bad. My only related regret was drafting Mims at all. He's the one guy (besides Crowder) that might make Darnold look halfway decent and neither of them can get or stay on the field.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Sam Darnold going forward

Postby esloan35 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:24 am

Thoughts on Sam? He is a young player going into year four and will be 24 years old. Worth a hold our cut bait?

Merry Christmas DLF'rs!

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Re: Sam Darnold going forward

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:31 am

Not gonna completely rule out him turning it around, but I have zero interest in him and didn't like him to begin with.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:40 am

He’s on my roster and not holding much value until we see some post draft QB fallout so...

🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 4.2, 4.7
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

1st YEAR START-UP
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - R Freeman - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Diggs - Aiyuk - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore - A Pierce - C Tillman
TE: Kittle - Kincaid

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:13 am

In SF leagues I think he has value . Not a given the jets take Sam darnold. Might trade back, they might take the the Oregon tackle. If they do draft fields darnold will likely at least get one more shot else where as well
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:04 am

In a league where QBs are at a premium, he is worth a hold. Who knows what the jets will decide to do.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am

In my opinion, Joe Douglas has the Jets in a complete tear down and is in the beginning stages of his rebuild. 2019 was his first draft. I do not think 2020 is the right time to bring in a rookie developmental QB and doubt that the Jets do. I think it's 50/50 the Jets franchise Darnold. He is not worth it, but it gives the Jets 1 more year to evaluate him, and protection if they decide to keep him. I don't think the 5th year would prevent the Jets looking at QB in 2022 if the situation presents itself.

If the Jets keep him, I'd expect they bring in a professional WR as the #1, while hopefully building solid depth. So in SF, he is certainly a hold, as he is still a starting QB.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 am

remedy29 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am In my opinion, Joe Douglas has the Jets in a complete tear down and is in the beginning stages of his rebuild. 2019 was his first draft. I do not think 2020 is the right time to bring in a rookie developmental QB and doubt that the Jets do. I think it's 50/50 the Jets franchise Darnold. He is not worth it, but it gives the Jets 1 more year to evaluate him, and protection if they decide to keep him. I don't think the 5th year would prevent the Jets looking at QB in 2022 if the situation presents itself.

If the Jets keep him, I'd expect they bring in a professional WR as the #1, while hopefully building solid depth. So in SF, he is certainly a hold, as he is still a starting QB.
It's always the time to take QB if you need one and have the opportunity to take one, there's no guarantee they have the opportunity to take one in the next couple of years that's as good or better than the options available to them this year.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:02 am

He's in a dangerous position of either being a backup next season or a lame duck starter (even if he's traded).

So, even with Gase gone, his long-term future doesn't seem encouraging.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:35 am

bjd5211 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 am
remedy29 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am In my opinion, Joe Douglas has the Jets in a complete tear down and is in the beginning stages of his rebuild. 2019 was his first draft. I do not think 2020 is the right time to bring in a rookie developmental QB and doubt that the Jets do. I think it's 50/50 the Jets franchise Darnold. He is not worth it, but it gives the Jets 1 more year to evaluate him, and protection if they decide to keep him. I don't think the 5th year would prevent the Jets looking at QB in 2022 if the situation presents itself.

It's always the time to take QB if you need one and have the opportunity to take one, there's no guarantee they have the opportunity to take one in the next couple of years that's as good or better than the options available to them this year.
For sure, if they value a QB highly, take one. But after NYJ miss out on Lawrence, it is going to be difficult to bring in any QB this year, as he will forever be compared to Lawrence. Joe Douglas will be reminded that the Jets should have "tanked", even though that's a ridiculous expectation for a professional team. It's just the Jets luck, where 1 win doesn't even get them the #1 pick.

There are several QB prospects after Lawrence, but none of them are special. Jets have 2 #1 picks in 2022, there is no urgency to get a QB now while they still have control of a QB on his rookie contract.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Darnolds a great value target or hold guy. His coaches have been abysmal and done him no favors. I think the best thing is to see him leave the Jets and get a shot somewhere. QB's escaping Gase have had a tendency to suddenly do better, Tannehill agrees.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:53 pm

Yarnith wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:09 pm Darnolds a great value target or hold guy. His coaches have been abysmal and done him no favors. I think the best thing is to see him leave the Jets and get a shot somewhere. QB's escaping Gase have had a tendency to suddenly do better, Tannehill agrees.
Good feedback, and Tannehill seems to fully agree. The post has some good points. To hold as a roster bubble going into 21 seems like a fair outlook. Young guy, would be good to see what protection, RB weapons, and coaching could bring.