Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

Postby Shankopotamus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm

I recently acquired him, DJ Moore, and '19 2.02 for my '19 1.02 and 1.09.

What's the concensus on him after his rookie season?
Last edited by Shankopotamus on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Shankopotamus wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm I recently acquired him, DJ Moore, and 2.04 for my 1.02 and 1.09.

What's the concensus on him after his rookie season?
Switching offensive systems after year one is generally not good for the long term development of a quarterback. I also think Gase isn’t anything special in terms of getting the most out of guys. Getting big seasons from Peyton Manning is just about getting out of the way. That said, he has the tools, and he has some solid weapons. If the picks are for this year, I think that’s a reasonable deal.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

TheNuts
Captain
Captain

Postby TheNuts » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 pm

I was never a fan of his. I think the Jets are going to regret investing in him. It will be another year or two before they realize they need to spend yet another high pick on a qb. Plus I can't believe Gase is so highly sought after. It's just not a good situation as usual
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm buying him. I like what I saw out of him after he came back from the injury late last year and they gave him a solid weapon in Bell. I don't disagree that changing systems after 1 year is not good for a developing QB; but, it's not the end of the world either.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:17 pm

I'd buy in 2QB leagues at low-end QB2 value. I'm not paying anything more than that.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:47 pm

I worry about how much he turns the ball over, from his last season at USC to last year, it seems to be a recurring theme. He needs to clean that up, not sure if he will.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm buying. Up and down rookie year, but his supporting cast was bottom-tier and he was the youngest starting QB in NFL history. So considered in that context, his rookie tape looks special to me.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 pm

I thought his rookie season was very encouraging. He showed a lot of poise, skill, and the ability to make accurate passes while on the move. He had some rough patches, but I think when assessing a rookie you need to be looking for the qualities he possesses while taking into consideration that he's still a rookie learning the speed of the NFL game. He was thrown in from the get go and needed to learn on the fly as a 21 year old. IMO he showed well. The injury he suffered that caused him to miss some games may have been a good thing, as it gave him a chance to have experience, and then assess from the sideline, and go back in a few games later. He wasn't a world beater after that, but he cut down on the turnovers, which hopefully is simply the learning curve process that a rookie QB with talent goes through. Keep in mind that he did much of this while relying on Robby Anderson, a rookie TE, and not much else, including an OL that was not much to speak of. It wasn't a great overall environment for a guy to light the world on fire.

I know people don't like the fact that it is a new offense, but it's likely still an improvement, and the talent around him has improved significantly. Osemele is an upgrade. Hernodon is a year older. Crowder is a reliable veteran. Enunwa is healthy. Bell is a workhorse teams need to respect. There is a lot of improvement here. I see no reason he can't be a high end QB2 given what he showed, and the potential for more given the Jets have short-term cap space while he's on his rookie deal. I feel good about his long-term outlook as well. Sure things can happen that change a players trajectory and outlook (i.e. Winston, Mariota, Carr, etc.), but he has shown me he has the maturity, arm talent, and mobility to make it in the league. He also was 21 years old and was the youngest starting QB in some time if I recall.

Overall, I don't know if he has elite upside, but I feel good about him as a high QB2 for the long-term.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:03 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 pm I thought his rookie season was very encouraging. He showed a lot of poise, skill, and the ability to make accurate passes while on the move. He had some rough patches, but I think when assessing a rookie you need to be looking for the qualities he possesses while taking into consideration that he's still a rookie learning the speed of the NFL game. He was thrown in from the get go and needed to learn on the fly as a 21 year old. IMO he showed well. The injury he suffered that caused him to miss some games may have been a good thing, as it gave him a chance to have experience, and then assess from the sideline, and go back in a few games later. He wasn't a world beater after that, but he cut down on the turnovers, which hopefully is simply the learning curve process that a rookie QB with talent goes through. Keep in mind that he did much of this while relying on Robby Anderson, a rookie TE, and not much else, including an OL that was not much to speak of. It wasn't a great overall environment for a guy to light the world on fire.

I know people don't like the fact that it is a new offense, but it's likely still an improvement, and the talent around him has improved significantly. Osemele is an upgrade. Hernodon is a year older. Crowder is a reliable veteran. Enunwa is healthy. Bell is a workhorse teams need to respect. There is a lot of improvement here. I see no reason he can't be a high end QB2 given what he showed, and the potential for more given the Jets have short-term cap space while he's on his rookie deal. I feel good about his long-term outlook as well. Sure things can happen that change a players trajectory and outlook (i.e. Winston, Mariota, Carr, etc.), but he has shown me he has the maturity, arm talent, and mobility to make it in the league. He also was 21 years old and was the youngest starting QB in some time if I recall.

Overall, I don't know if he has elite upside, but I feel good about him as a high QB2 for the long-term.
As a guy who clearly has a little more invested here than the rest of us, what are your thoughts on bringing in Gase and his impact on the offense and team as a whole?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Darnold, as a rookie in 13 games last year, having only just turned 21 years old, with a very lackluster supporting cast and scheme:

239/414, 57.7%, 2865y, 17 TD, 15 Int, 138y rushing, 1 TD.

Extrapolated to 16 games that is:

3500+y, 21 TD, 18.4 Int, 170y rushing, 1.2 TD.

I think it’s fair to expect Darnold to be in the 550 attempts, 4000y, 30TD, 10 Int, 200y rushing, 2 TD area starting likely in 2020 while building towards that eventuality this year. That would make him a mid QB2 this year and low QB1 going forward next year, with partially high upside due to his talent and age and partially low upside because of his situation under Gase for the time being.

I’m buying.
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:58 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:03 pm
FiremanEd wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:52 pm I thought his rookie season was very encouraging. He showed a lot of poise, skill, and the ability to make accurate passes while on the move. He had some rough patches, but I think when assessing a rookie you need to be looking for the qualities he possesses while taking into consideration that he's still a rookie learning the speed of the NFL game. He was thrown in from the get go and needed to learn on the fly as a 21 year old. IMO he showed well. The injury he suffered that caused him to miss some games may have been a good thing, as it gave him a chance to have experience, and then assess from the sideline, and go back in a few games later. He wasn't a world beater after that, but he cut down on the turnovers, which hopefully is simply the learning curve process that a rookie QB with talent goes through. Keep in mind that he did much of this while relying on Robby Anderson, a rookie TE, and not much else, including an OL that was not much to speak of. It wasn't a great overall environment for a guy to light the world on fire.

As a guy who clearly has a little more invested here than the rest of us, what are your thoughts on bringing in Gase and his impact on the offense and team as a whole?
I'm not going to pretend I have any more valuable insights than others here. I watched him at Denver, but it's tough to say what was him and what was Peyton. I saw my some Miami games, and IMO they overachieved in their W/L record, but I don't know to what degree he helped or hindered Tannehill compared to what he could have been. Tanny did have some respectable statistical seasons. What all of this will mean terms of Darnold's development is anyone's guess. I wasn't thrilled with the Gase hire...but that doesn't mean he will be Darnold's downfall. I have to go based on what I saw out of Darnold as a 21 year old rookie, take into consideration what his supporting cast was, and then project improvement based on his maturity, drive, and organizational improvements. Could he be another Jameis (with the TO concerns), perhaps...but I feel better about him than I did Jameis. Could just be that I saw more and am more invested in Darnold though...and that Jameis unfortuntely hasn't seemed to develop on the mental side like many hoped. Darnold to me has a higher maturity level though, which goes a long way in addressing those mental game concerns.

I like to hope i'm not a biased Jets fan, but feel free to interpret it that way. I was somewhat skeptical to start the season but have come around.

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 am

FantasyDumDum wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:38 pm Darnold, as a rookie in 13 games last year, having only just turned 21 years old, with a very lackluster supporting cast and scheme:

I think it’s fair to expect Darnold to be in the 550 attempts, 4000y, 30TD, 10 Int, 200y rushing, 2 TD area starting likely in 2020 while building towards that eventuality this year. That would make him a mid QB2 this year and low QB1 going forward next year, with partially high upside due to his talent and age and partially low upside because of his situation under Gase for the time being.

I’m buying.
i dont think its fair at all to EXPECT the gaudy numbers you think of. those number would make him a top 10 qb going by last years numbers while having one of the worst wr groups in the nfl. the numbers you quote are all way too high to expect from him imo and his ints will undoubtedly be more than just 10.

imo his numbers to reasonably expect would be more along the line of 3300-3500 yds, 22-25 td, 15-18 int. thats what i expect from him at least. not saying he cant put up more just i dont anticipate him doing so
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:21 am

I am currently watching all the Jets games from last season, I'm only in W6, but so far I will say I am really impressed on all his throws to the boundary/perimeter ... so many rookie QB's really can't make those throws consistently, and he is quick to fire it out there .. I think he will be able to pick teams apart very soon.

(basically what I am saying, he is making the hard throws in the NFL look pretty easy) ..

I am kind of sad Josh McCown retired this year ... think he is a great help to young QB's, he certainly has a future as a QB coach if he wants one. Think this loss is greater than any impact Gase might have.
@PlankMelody

FantasyDumDum
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyDumDum » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am

knotts4372 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 am
FantasyDumDum wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:38 pm Darnold, as a rookie in 13 games last year, having only just turned 21 years old, with a very lackluster supporting cast and scheme:

I’m buying.
i dont think its fair at all to EXPECT the gaudy numbers you think of. those number would make him a top 10 qb going by last years numbers while having one of the worst wr groups in the nfl. the numbers you quote are all way too high to expect from him imo and his ints will undoubtedly be more than just 10.

imo his numbers to reasonably expect would be more along the line of 3300-3500 yds, 22-25 td, 15-18 int. thats what i expect from him at least. not saying he cant put up more just i dont anticipate him doing so
Next year Darnold will have the following changes, all positive:

No longer youngest QB in NFL history and no longer a rookie starting day 1 in the NFL, adding LeVeon Bell and Jamison Crowder, getting 16 games from each of Enunwa and Anderson instead of 19 games combined between them, his up and coming TE will be in his 2nd year rather than rookie year, his abysmal OL is better after adding Osemele and new OL coach.

These were his starters last year:
RB Crowell, Powell, McGuire
WR Anderson, Enunwa, Kearse
TE Herndon

These are his starters this year:
RB Bell, Montgomery, McGuire, Powell
WR Anderson, Crowder, Enunwa
TE Herndon

That’s a huge upgrade at RB and a solid one at WR, and their TE should be much improved in year 2.

Yet somehow you think he could regress from his 16 game pace in 2018 of 3526 yards, 21 TDs, 18 Ints to as bad as 3300 yards, 22 TDs, and 18 Ints?

Cmon now, that is clearly not right and not thought out at all.

It seems exceedingly unlikely that Darnold will regress to your numbers this year with everything going his way and improving for him and his situation in such dramatic fashion this year compared to last.
10 team, .5ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: CMC, D Williams, Drake, Guice, Penny, RoJo, Breida, I Smith, Edmonds
WR: AB, ARob, Ridley, Jeffery, Shepard, Pettis, Miller, Washington, MVS, Callaway
TE: Kelce, Herndon, Andrews

Taxi Squad:

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:15 am

FantasyDumDum wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 am Image
knotts4372 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 am

I’m buying.

Next year Darnold will have the following changes, all positive:

No longer youngest QB in NFL history and no longer a rookie starting day 1 in the NFL, adding LeVeon Bell and Jamison Crowder, getting 16 games from each of Enunwa and Anderson instead of 19 games combined between them, his up and coming TE will be in his 2nd year rather than rookie year, his abysmal OL is better after adding Osemele and new OL coach.

These were his starters last year:
RB Crowell, Powell, McGuire
WR Anderson, Enunwa, Kearse
TE Herndon

These are his starters this year:
RB Bell, Montgomery, McGuire, Powell
WR Anderson, Crowder, Enunwa
TE Herndon

That’s a huge upgrade at RB and a solid one at WR, and their TE should be much improved in year 2.

Yet somehow you think he could regress from his 16 game pace in 2018 of 3526 yards, 21 TDs, 18 Ints to as bad as 3300 yards, 22 TDs, and 18 Ints?

Cmon now, that is clearly not right and not thought out at all.

It seems exceedingly unlikely that Darnold will regress to your numbers this year with everything going his way and improving for him and his situation in such dramatic fashion this year compared to last.
Good response!

:thumbup: