Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
NeverEndingRebuild
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Darnold traded to Carolina

Postby NeverEndingRebuild » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 am

I think this is great for Darnold. If Teddy managed to be a top20 QB last year, I don't think it's out of the question to see Sam's range to be around Top 15-20. Which I'm fine with for my QB3 in SF.

But, there's a lot that needs to improve on his end to make this thing work. I watched quite a few Jets games last year and it's not just scheme and lack of talent around him. He did miss open receivers, took too much time to let go of the ball and panicked when not under pressure.

I was ready to cut him to make room for one of the top rookies with my mid round 1st as my 3rd QB (essentially my bye-week and bad match-up fill in type of player), but this move makes me reconsider it and roll with him and take one of the top RB/WR, whoever drops on my lap at 7.

I also own Robbie and I see this as a lateral move. I don't think there's a lot more upside as some may think, but I also don't see a huge downgrade.

As a Mims owner, I also love the move. Mims' best weeks (9, 11 and 12) were mostly with Flacco under QB (Sam was back on week 12 but played awful).

mild
Legend
Legend

The Sam Darnold Funeral Post

Postby mild » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 pm

NeverEndingRebuild wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 am I think this is great for Darnold. If Teddy managed to be a top20 QB last year, I don't think it's out of the question to see Sam's range to be around Top 15-20. Which I'm fine with for my QB3 in SF.
This was the most Darnold-adjacent thread I could find in the Dynasty Discussion forum. No callouts to anyone here who had a gamble, and I think everyone also had the right idea that he was in a great situation but had a lot to work on and prove. My own admission: I liked him a lot in that 2019 draft, and had him at QB3 behind Lamar and Baker...

However.

Dearly beloved... we are gathered here today... because it is time to bury young Sam Darnold, and close the book on our once-promising heroes career.

From Twitter:
Sam Darnold has thrown 160 passes over the past five games.

373 QB have thrown at least 160 passes in a season over the past decade. His stretch would rank:

372nd in Y/A
371st in TD%
370th in INT%

It almost literally cannot get worse.
Woooooooof. :lol:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: The Sam Darnold Funeral Post

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:15 pm

mild wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 pm
NeverEndingRebuild wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 am I think this is great for Darnold. If Teddy managed to be a top20 QB last year, I don't think it's out of the question to see Sam's range to be around Top 15-20. Which I'm fine with for my QB3 in SF.
This was the most Darnold-adjacent thread I could find in the Dynasty Discussion forum. No callouts to anyone here who had a gamble, and I think everyone also had the right idea that he was in a great situation but had a lot to work on and prove. My own admission: I liked him a lot in that 2019 draft, and had him at QB3 behind Lamar and Baker...

However.

Dearly beloved... we are gathered here today... because it is time to bury young Sam Darnold, and close the book on our once-promising heroes career.

From Twitter:

373 QB have thrown at least 160 passes in a season over the past decade. His stretch would rank:

372nd in Y/A
371st in TD%
370th in INT%

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.14.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.14.42 PM.png (235.78 KiB) Viewed 369 times
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 am

Thank you for that stat Mild. It's been frustrating as an owner of a handful of CAR position players. DJM is still a WR1 on the year, but his last 5 weeks have been 7-13 points. Not bad with no TD I guess, but what happened? Darnold looked promising in the first few games. Is this a result of missing CMC? It has to get somewhat better, but I'm not holding my breath for Darnold to become a top half QB

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:46 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 am Thank you for that stat Mild. It's been frustrating as an owner of a handful of CAR position players. DJM is still a WR1 on the year, but his last 5 weeks have been 7-13 points. Not bad with no TD I guess, but what happened? Darnold looked promising in the first few games. Is this a result of missing CMC? It has to get somewhat better, but I'm not holding my breath for Darnold to become a top half QB
They probably had some gimmick in their offense that teams eventually figured out, and he couldn’t adjust. He also rushed for 5 tds in the first 4 games, was never going to be sustainable.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:20 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:46 am
Jigga94 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 am Thank you for that stat Mild. It's been frustrating as an owner of a handful of CAR position players. DJM is still a WR1 on the year, but his last 5 weeks have been 7-13 points. Not bad with no TD I guess, but what happened? Darnold looked promising in the first few games. Is this a result of missing CMC? It has to get somewhat better, but I'm not holding my breath for Darnold to become a top half QB
They probably had some gimmick in their offense that teams eventually figured out, and he couldn’t adjust. He also rushed for 5 tds in the first 4 games, was never going to be sustainable.
Was my other thought. Teams were not ready for a new look Darnold... didn't last long lol

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:36 am

I am done waiting on Darnold. Sell!

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:50 am

What are you selling for? You'll literally be paying someone to take him from you.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:07 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:50 am What are you selling for? You'll literally be paying someone to take him from you.
I think in a SF you're looking at probably accepting any 2nd that comes your way. He's not the guy. As a depth QB on your roster, he's alright, but you should have better options on a competitive team. Or just start any other position player at the SF.

This is coming from someone who said he was a buy at a late 1st when coming to CAR. I expected more. Not as big as Tannehill but a similar post Gase transition. Especially to an offense with CMC, DJM and them drafting Marshall. CMC got hurt again and Robby is not doing Darnold any favors.
Last edited by Jigga94 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:08 am

He's cooked, no rational owner will pay for him

NeverEndingRebuild
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The Sam Darnold Funeral Post

Postby NeverEndingRebuild » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:14 am

mild wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 pm

However.

From Twitter:

372nd in Y/A
371st in TD%
370th in INT%

LOL woof indeed.

I should've sold instead of getting greedy, now the whole experiment blew up on my face.

He's been historically bad indeed and I've seen these numbers floating around Twitter recently but, I still don't get how it is even possible for 373 QBs to have attempted 160 passes in this past decade. This sounds like a lot? Unless this is not referencing 373 unique QBs but 373 QB seasons? Like, Tom Brady 2020 counts as one, Tom Brady 2019 as another one and so on.

Still, lesson learned always sell the hype! Looking at you now, Adam Trautman .

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:16 am

Darnold will probably be in the league 8-10 more years as a backup. He has failed so bad as starter that ship has sailed.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:01 am

I traded for him in a SF league after the Cowboys game. I watched him for 2 games, and immediately sent out offers to unload him. It was so obvious, he isn't going to cut it. I had to get out, and luckily I did. Had him for 2 games. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:35 am

I traded him for Logan Thomas. Now that Cam's back with the Carolina - Darnold has reached Josh Rosen levels of bad i.e. 1st rounder living off name and draft capital alone (for God knows what reason,). He'll probably bounce around the league on various benches with exactly zero fantasy value.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:30 am

halfbaked88 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:35 am I traded him for Logan Thomas. Now that Cam's back with the Carolina - Darnold has reached Josh Rosen levels of bad i.e. 1st rounder living off name and draft capital alone (for God knows what reason,). He'll probably bounce around the league on various benches with exactly zero fantasy value.
Maybe he'll follow the Logan Thomas career path and convert to TE