Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Darnold traded to Carolina

Postby DynastyDabbler » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:22 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:36 am
DynastyDabbler wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 am Darnold used to pepper Crowder in the slot and made him fantasy relevant. Could Carolina use DJ Moore in the slot more often or is DJ better suited as an outside guy?
I think this was an Adam Gase thing more than anything, especially when you look at Landry's numbers in Miami. They could use another slot with Samuel gone though.
Good point! Maybe I need to look into Gase’s next slot receiver
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:37 am
tsarpepe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm Feels like a desperation move. After whiffing on FAs, and being jumped for the rookie QBs, the Panthers got scared that they'll be left holding the bag.
More accurately, this tells you Carolina values Darnold over the 4th and 5th rookie QB this year.

Regarding Darnold peppering Crowder in the slot. Crowder was the Jets only competent WR, but it does show Darnold will work the middle of the field.
So my Ian Thomas shares aren't dead yet?!

/s

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

tsarpepe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm Feels like a desperation move. After whiffing on FAs, and being jumped for the rookie QBs, the Panthers got scared that they'll be left holding the bag.
More accurately, this tells you Carolina values Darnold over the 4th and 5th rookie QB this year.

Regarding Darnold peppering Crowder in the slot. Crowder was the Jets only competent WR, but it does show Darnold will work the middle of the field.
If Fields slips to 8, I am sure Carolina still takes him. This move was more about a hedge if 4 QBs go before the 8th pick.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

If Fields slips to 8, I am sure Carolina still takes him. This move was more about a hedge if 4 QBs go before the 8th pick.
What makes you so sure?
There's a decent chance Fields does fall to #8.

Carolina has plenty of holes on their team. They just spent draft capital on a QB, albeit cheap capital. I do not see them spending additional draft capital on a QB now.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am
Forza_Azzurri wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

What makes you so sure?
There's a decent chance Fields does fall to #8.

Carolina has plenty of holes on their team. They just spent draft capital on a QB, albeit cheap capital. I do not see them spending additional draft capital on a QB now.
If I was a Panthers fan an they passed on Fields at 8 because they just traded for Sam Darnold I would lose my mind.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am

Thinking it is pretty obvious the Panthers have Darnold rated higher than all but 2-3 QB's in this draft. Not saying I agree but they wouldn't have made that deal if they didn't IMO.

My guess is they rate them Lawrence, Wilson, Jones.

Fields looks to be slipping; Could be Ohio State recency bias as their system is a one read only type QB system.

If Fields is there, my guess is they trade out of that pick.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:49 pm

DynastyDabbler wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:22 am
Good point! Maybe I need to look into Gase’s next slot receiver
XFL season still up in the air, don't overcommit

Finally no more excuses for the truthers. silver lining

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:55 pm

He's pretty likely to get a Sewell or Slater as his LT to pair with Moton and a WR group of DJM, Robby Anderson and a 2nd round WR like a Rondale or Terrace Marshall.

Definitely no excuses now but wow--what a change from his Jets days

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Best possible scenario for Darnold. Well, going to Pittsburgh would have been nice to get a major breather and observe the game for a year and see how a great organization and staff operates. But Carolina ain't bad either. I believe there is an old Matt Rhule connection there from scouting Darnold in high school. That HC reconnection worked well for Robby I'm hoping it goes the same for Sam.

The Panthers are so pass happy, the O-line has been improving the last 2 years, the WR group is good, and then soaking up all those McCaffrey rec yds is going to be sweet.

I'm really hoping CAR takes a O-linemen. I could also see them going defense, cause they already have weapons - but my view just control the LOS and give Darnold time & protection and I think he can be Kirk Cousins lite. It's hard to be consistent on a sorry bleep team like the Jets and I think that really screwed up his player progression. Seems like he'd make an awesome throw then very next play just freakin get killed

As a former Goff and current Darnold owner I'm really glad I picked the right QB to trade away. Someone offered me a 2021 2nd, 2022 2nd and Cephus for Darnold today. I'm definitely holding to see what he does I think he really turns it around this year.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:54 pm How will this impact Mims, and the other Jets skill position players? I guess it depends on which QB they end up with, but I'm not expecting much of a 2021 bump for that side of this deal either.
I bought Mims low as soon as LaFleur and Saleh were hired; the Jets have some sneaky fantasy upside now with the installation of "league average" coaching (at least) - their defense will still be trash, they'll still be throwing a lot - but at least the scheme should now resemble something approaching Modern Football. If you liked Mims as a prospect and still don't have him, then this is the window.

I'm also getting higher and higher on Zach Wilson the more I watch. His arm talent is absolutely unreal... he might legitimately be the next Superstar QB, just like Chris Simms is insisting. I just hope he doesn't get ruined physically by what's about to happen to him the next year or two (or however long it takes to fix that O-line). He is not what I would call "built for punishment".
Ice wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am Thinking it is pretty obvious the Panthers have Darnold rated higher than all but 2-3 QB's in this draft. Not saying I agree but they wouldn't have made that deal if they didn't IMO.
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:29 am
No it doesn't, they spent significantly less than the 8th overall pick, this move just ensures they get a a young high upside QB in the event all 5 are gone by 8.
I'm with bjd here - this was a low-cost high-upside move, made in the wake of a cascade effect, and it now allows Carolina to let the draft "come to them". It was actually a really good move, in my humble opinion. Let's review:

1. Their primary target was Watson, who is now a "do not touch". The price to get Watson was going to be upward of 3 1st round picks. This Darnold trade hasn't touched that war chest... if anything changes, they can still go get him.

2. SF jumps the queue and pays 3 1st round picks to get to 1.03. They pay the Watson price for what is probably going to be Mac Jones.

3. Carolina are now faced with the very real possibility of missing out on a QB at 1.08. Remember - the Lions are still a wild card at 1.07. Worse for Carolina, though...

4. The only true pick left for sale to "make sure" you got one of the Rookies was 1.04... owned by their division rivals, Atlanta. There is zero chance, that all things being the same, Atlanta will deal with Carolina. If Denver (or another team) make the exact same offer as Carolina for the 1.04, Atlanta will choose Denver every time. So you are literally in a bad-faith bidding war to acquire that pick - because Atlanta will do their best to not usher in a potential franchise QB into their division if they can help it. Carolina were left in the cold thanks to SF moving up, but they've gone and done the next best possible thing. If Darnold has any juice left... I believe Joe Brady will find it.

Funnily enough, this move most aids Denver if they want to move up - as they are now the "next" team in line that needs a QB from this Rookie crop, Darnold just removed a potential bidder, and moving back to 9 still hopefully lands you a stud if you're Atlanta. They have holes everywhere on that ATL roster... a trade down would be wise imo.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:11 pm

I’m buying Broncos skill players. They have had the worst QB situation in the league, between Watson, Garoppolo, and the two rookies left after 1.03, even Bridgewater now, I think it’s really unlikely that they don’t upgrade on Lock. Hell, they could make a massive draft day trade for Rodgers and I wouldn’t be completely shocked. I think their skill players, specifically Jeudy and Fant, don’t have that incoming QB upgrade baked into their prices.

Having said that, with SF not telegraphing who they’re picking, I think you’re less likely to see a trade up to #4 before the pick is on the clock.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:39 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:11 pm I’m buying Broncos skill players. They have had the worst QB situation in the league, between Watson, Garoppolo, and the two rookies left after 1.03, even Bridgewater now, I think it’s really unlikely that they don’t upgrade on Lock. Hell, they could make a massive draft day trade for Rodgers and I wouldn’t be completely shocked. I think their skill players, specifically Jeudy and Fant, don’t have that incoming QB upgrade baked into their prices.

Having said that, with SF not telegraphing who they’re picking, I think you’re less likely to see a trade up to #4 before the pick is on the clock.
I was thinking the same regarding SF with the 3rd pick and ATL trading down on draft day

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:48 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:11 pm I’m buying Broncos skill players. They have had the worst QB situation in the league, between Watson, Garoppolo, and the two rookies left after 1.03, even Bridgewater now, I think it’s really unlikely that they don’t upgrade on Lock. Hell, they could make a massive draft day trade for Rodgers and I wouldn’t be completely shocked. I think their skill players, specifically Jeudy and Fant, don’t have that incoming QB upgrade baked into their prices.

Is Bridgewater really an upgrade on Lock for their weapons?

And he's better than Lock but not really excited at the thought of Garoppolo throwing to Sutton or Jeudy

That said I think it's almost certain they move up to 1.4 after SF picks unless desperate Ryan Pace or Bill Bellichick throws the farm at Atlanta

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:01 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:48 pm

Is Bridgewater really an upgrade on Lock for their weapons?

And he's better than Lock but not really excited at the thought of Garoppolo throwing to Sutton or Jeudy

That said I think it's almost certain they move up to 1.4 after SF picks unless desperate Ryan Pace or Bill Bellichick throws the farm at Atlanta
I think Jimmy G and Bridgewater are way better than Lock and I tried to like Lock.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am Thinking it is pretty obvious the Panthers have Darnold rated higher than all but 2-3 QB's in this draft. Not saying I agree but they wouldn't have made that deal if they didn't IMO.

My guess is they rate them Lawrence, Wilson, Jones.

Fields looks to be slipping; Could be Ohio State recency bias as their system is a one read only type QB system.

If Fields is there, my guess is they trade out of that pick.
Either that or they dont think the ones that are will slip to them at pick #8