Are you Buying/Selling Sam Darnold - Traded to Carolina

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Darnold traded to Carolina

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:08 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:02 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm This is the best possible news for Darnold IMO. Brady did amazing things with Burrow in college. Darnold is younger and really needs a solid system and O coordinator behind him for a change.

The Jets with a new staff really needed a reset at the position as well.
Darnold is only going to have Brady for a year. Either Darnold continues to stink and Panthers are looking for another QB next year, or Darnold plays well and Brady gets HC position somewhere else off his "QB guru" status for what he did with Burrow at LSU and "saving" Sam Darnold.
Compared to Gase this upcoming one year will be like experiencing Nirvana. Darnold probably feels like he won the lottery.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 pm

This is so uninspiring for Carolina. The way it was talked about how the owner wanted an elite QB, I was so optimistic they get a talent upgrade on Bridgewater. With no Stafford or Wilson or Watson trades, it became clear they were gonna have to settle... and they took someone who sees ghosts. So underwhelming.

But yeah, this is a boost for Darnold.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

fourdeans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fourdeans » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm

I'm happy with my QB room.

tsarpepe
MVP
MVP

Postby tsarpepe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Feels like a desperation move. After whiffing on FAs, and being jumped for the rookie QBs, the Panthers got scared that they'll be left holding the bag.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 pm This is so uninspiring for Carolina. The way it was talked about how the owner wanted an elite QB, I was so optimistic they get a talent upgrade on Bridgewater. With no Stafford or Wilson or Watson trades, it became clear they were gonna have to settle... and they took someone who sees ghosts. So underwhelming.

But yeah, this is a boost for Darnold.
If Fields is still on the board like a lot of the media is projecting they should take him. Hopefully SF makes the right decision though and takes him.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:25 pm

ravn88 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:03 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 pm
Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:54 pm

Certainly agree about Darnold owners. But I think it's probably pretty lateral for Carolina skill position players. While I won't say Darnold is an upgrade from Bridgewater, he could be? Teddy is a great comeback story, but his play has always been mediocre at best. I don't blame the Panthers from wanting to move on. They know it's true as well.

How will this impact Mims, and the other Jets skill position players? I guess it depends on which QB they end up with, but I'm not expecting much of a 2021 bump for that side of this deal either.
I agree. It's pretty much a wash for Carolina and I guess they could get better QB play. Ive hated on Teddy a lot before so I'll welcome Darnold. Is he even the starter though? QB battle I assume

I was already assuming NYJ rookie QB would be an upgrade for the skill positions there. Whether it's Fields or Wilson. They have Davis coming in too and Mims with his rookie season down; you would think that is an upgrade for the QB anyway. You're probably right though that this has minimal impact for all parties
Another QB escaping Adam Gase.
I belive he is a buy in every SF there is.

He will have better weapons everywhere around him, better HC, better O-line.

He has a chance to prove why he was draftet at 3 overall in 2018.

Jets is / was a shitshow, they could have made Mahomes look bad.
My bold take is top 15.
A good year is 10-15 among QBs
A bad year is 15-20.
But I think that is his floor..
You don't know that about Mahomes. It wouldn't be what it is now, but I highly doubt he was as bad as Darnold was. Doesn't really matter though...

Isn't Teddy still in CAR? I'd say Darnolds floor is not winning the QB competition or losing enough games that he concedes his starting role halfway through the year to Teddy/rookie QB.

If you think he can be QB15 or better, then sure go looking to acquire. I feel as if his "upside" is still baked into his price with most owners still holding in SF/2QB, but it doesn't hurt to try

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:38 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:25 pm
ravn88 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:03 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 pm

I agree. It's pretty much a wash for Carolina and I guess they could get better QB play. Ive hated on Teddy a lot before so I'll welcome Darnold. Is he even the starter though? QB battle I assume

I was already assuming NYJ rookie QB would be an upgrade for the skill positions there. Whether it's Fields or Wilson. They have Davis coming in too and Mims with his rookie season down; you would think that is an upgrade for the QB anyway. You're probably right though that this has minimal impact for all parties
Another QB escaping Adam Gase.
I belive he is a buy in every SF there is.

He will have better weapons everywhere around him, better HC, better O-line.

He has a chance to prove why he was draftet at 3 overall in 2018.

Jets is / was a shitshow, they could have made Mahomes look bad.
My bold take is top 15.
A good year is 10-15 among QBs
A bad year is 15-20.
But I think that is his floor..
You don't know that about Mahomes. It wouldn't be what it is now, but I highly doubt he was as bad as Darnold was. Doesn't really matter though...

Isn't Teddy still in CAR? I'd say Darnolds floor is not winning the QB competition or losing enough games that he concedes his starting role halfway through the year to Teddy/rookie QB.

If you think he can be QB15 or better, then sure go looking to acquire. I feel as if his "upside" is still baked into his price with most owners still holding in SF/2QB, but it doesn't hurt to try
The GM made it sound like Teddy is pretty gone

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:44 pm

Panthers are picking up Darnold's 5th year option, he's going to be their starter so he can show whether or not he is their longterm solution. There won't be a competition with Teddy.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm

This is a big boost for Darnold and his owners, not sure how anyone could “objectively” judge him off what little he had to work with in NY and the terrible coaching staff on top of that. Who knows if he’ll make it or not but this is such a boost for him with a solid coach in M.Rhule and quite a few playmakers there, with CMC, DJ Moore, Anderson and whatever they add in the draft.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:03 pm

Sham Darnold!!!

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm

I hope I don't see Robby Anderson hyped because he reunites with Sam Darnold.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 am

Darnold used to pepper Crowder in the slot and made him fantasy relevant. Could Carolina use DJ Moore in the slot more often or is DJ better suited as an outside guy?
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:36 am

DynastyDabbler wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 am Darnold used to pepper Crowder in the slot and made him fantasy relevant. Could Carolina use DJ Moore in the slot more often or is DJ better suited as an outside guy?
I think this was an Adam Gase thing more than anything, especially when you look at Landry's numbers in Miami. They could use another slot with Samuel gone though.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:37 am

tsarpepe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm Feels like a desperation move. After whiffing on FAs, and being jumped for the rookie QBs, the Panthers got scared that they'll be left holding the bag.
More accurately, this tells you Carolina values Darnold over the 4th and 5th rookie QB this year.

Regarding Darnold peppering Crowder in the slot. Crowder was the Jets only competent WR, but it does show Darnold will work the middle of the field.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:29 am

remedy29 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:37 am
tsarpepe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm Feels like a desperation move. After whiffing on FAs, and being jumped for the rookie QBs, the Panthers got scared that they'll be left holding the bag.
More accurately, this tells you Carolina values Darnold over the 4th and 5th rookie QB this year.

No it doesn't, they spent significantly less than the 8th overall pick, this move just ensures they get a a young high upside QB in the event all 5 are gone by 8.