One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 am

1) FF Players have Huge Egos in General

2) Avoid relying too much on ADP because the Masses that play may have big egos but may not be really good at the game so follow the heard.

3) Focus on Win/Win Trades as those owners make for the better long term trade partners.

4) Don't be afraid to draft a QB in the last 3rd of round 1 in rookie drafts in 1 QB leagues if you're really sold on the player as they can set your team for a decade as a plug and play starter.

5) There are a ton of ways to play the game so don't lock in thinking your way is the only way.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:19 am

Ice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 am 1) FF Players have Huge Egos in General
I like this one. I also think it's almost a necessity, otherwise you'd be constantly changing your opinions with all the articles, rankings, mock drafts, and discussion going on. It really takes experience to be able to navigate all those sources of conflicting information.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 am

on the "get your guy": there are players i like and they do get a small bump in value for me. i don't care if it's "stupid", it's part of the fun for me, and there are many stupid pastimes that i enjoy.
two things though:
get your guy, yes, but don't become obsessed. sometimes it's just not worth it.
don't become attached. it's your guy, but sometimes an offer is just too good.

don't be afraid to "reach" in rookie drafts. by all means try to trade back if you think that guy will be available a few spots later, but if you can't, just pick him. rookie drafts are a crapshoot after the mid 1st anyway, and the consensus is often wrong.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:57 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 am
SteelLake wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 am I agree with the don’t employ the “get your guys”

Also, acquire draft picks years in advanced. I’m in 2 long-running friends leagues, that aren’t going anywhere, but it amazes me how much cheaper future year draft picks are. I always buy them. I don’t understand why they’re discounted. In traditional transactions, assets now are more expensive, cause you can grow the assets. But, with these picks, anything else you trade for likely lessens in value, on average, while future picks grow. Teams also underrate the likelihood their future first will be top of draft.
I wish I could get a discount on future picks. No one does this in my leagues.
‘ Future picks are valued very differently league to league’

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:19 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:57 am
SteelLake wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 am I agree with the don’t employ the “get your guys”

Also, acquire draft picks years in advanced. I’m in 2 long-running friends leagues, that aren’t going anywhere, but it amazes me how much cheaper future year draft picks are. I always buy them. I don’t understand why they’re discounted. In traditional transactions, assets now are more expensive, cause you can grow the assets. But, with these picks, anything else you trade for likely lessens in value, on average, while future picks grow. Teams also underrate the likelihood their future first will be top of draft.
In at least one of my leagues, future firsts are harder to acquire than the current year, because they require the player to pay up for the year in question.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:19 am

In at least one of my leagues, future firsts are harder to acquire than the current year, because they require the player to pay up for the year in question.
This is interesting. Help us understand the divide. I find this to be true, but generally only for picks current year 1.10-1.12. You might be able to get those for the future 1st straight up. It’s different year to year, but generally you’re talking a current year mid 1st it will cost you at least future 1st and 2nd and often an additional 2nd or so. Then of course the top picks (1.01-1.05) will cost you multiple 1sts etc.

At what point is this divide in your league? Describe the differences.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:19 am

This is interesting. Help us understand the divide. I find this to be true, but generally only for picks current year 1.10-1.12. You might be able to get those for the future 1st straight up. It’s different year to year, but generally you’re talking a current year mid 1st it will cost you at least future 1st and 2nd and often an additional 2nd or so. Then of course the top picks (1.01-1.05) will cost you multiple 1sts etc.

At what point is this divide in your league? Describe the differences.
It’s hard to say because my sample size is like 10 total trades that I’ve made involving any first round pick. I’ve at least had somebody tell me in one negotiation that they would rather give a current first than a future one because he didn’t want to pay the extra dues.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:56 am

LOL. That’s good

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:12 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 am It’s hard to say because my sample size is like 10 total trades that I’ve made involving any first round pick. I’ve at least had somebody tell me in one negotiation that they would rather give a current first than a future one because he didn’t want to pay the extra dues.
This made me chuckle. I've never had an owner tell me this but it does explain that one or two owners in every league that refuse all trades that involve future picks. Most owners in the leagues pay the extra 1/2 dues for the next year at the beginning of the current year because they know damn well they're likely to trade futures at some point and don't want the hassle of paying in season.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:00 am

When I'm contending, I'm more likely to want to give up that year's picks (already have a lot of evidence they'll be later, who knows the next year).

The reverse when I'm not contending
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am

I’ll add this-
Play using your heart to guide you if you want to have fun.
Play using your head to guide you if you want to win.
Emotional attachments should be saved for pets, family, and romantic relationships.
When people say something like “I have a gut feeling about...”, it is kinda like saying “Against all evidence to the contrary...”

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:18 am

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am I’ll add this-
Emotional attachments should be saved for pets, family, and romantic relationships.
When people say something like “I have a gut feeling about...”, it is kinda like saying “Against all evidence to the contrary...”
Look this might mean that I’m a psycho, and I’m not really arguing that, but I have a real hard time separating winning and having fun.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:18 am
Look this might mean that I’m a psycho, and I’m not really arguing that, but I have a real hard time separating winning and having fun.
Lol I’m right there with you. But I have known a ton of “league donators” that must get their jollies from another aspect, because they keep showing up without ever winning.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:02 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:18 am
Lol I’m right there with you. But I have known a ton of “league donators” that must get their jollies from another aspect, because they keep showing up without ever winning.
Nobody drives me crazier than the guy who pays every year to never make a single trade, go 6-7 and pick 6th overall every year. Why play?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:13 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am When people say something like “I have a gut feeling about...”, it is kinda like saying “Against all evidence to the contrary...”
I will disagree with this one, atleast for me personally. To me when I have a gut feeling about a player it's when I value them much higher or lower than the consensus. It is not without evidence to support.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts