One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SStory93
Role Player
Role Player

Re: One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

Postby SStory93 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 am 1. Don’t overpay for your guy. You don’t know as much as you think you do. Emotional maturity is understanding that you don’t win or lose any extra if you have “your guy” on your team. Be dispassionate and just take the best player.

2. Think beyond a 2-3 year window. Yeah, it’s really hard to predict that far out, and people get hurt. I get it. But younger players hold their value for longer.

3. Almost every trade that happens in your league that you aren’t involved in hurts your team. Be active.

4. There are 1 or 2 guys in most leagues who are dumb enough to accept a bad offer, and if you don’t send it to them, somebody else will.

5. Unless you think an offer is extraordinarily in your favor, shop around before you take a deal.

6. It’s ok to sell low. Ask everybody who turned down offers last season for Sam Darnold in SuperFlex. Looking at you, Drew Lock.

7. People don’t shop their top of the line players nearly enough. Maybe in small lineup formats this is fine, but guys like Barkley, McCaffery, Kamara can land you more than they’re worth.

8. The higher yield drafting strategy is to
I think for the most part you contradicted everyone’s points. Good job!
12 Team PPR 2 Flex

QB: Hurts | Watson | Cousins
RB: Hall | Achane | Ekeler| Chubb | Kamara
WR: Hill | AJ Brown | Chase | Aiyuk
TE: Njoku | Waller

🏆: 2023

12 Team PPR SuperFlex IDP

QB: Hurts | Fields | Mayfield
RB: Bijan | Saquon | Ford
WR: Chase | Jefferson | AJ Brown | Metcalf | Puka | Collins
TE: Pitts | Freieemuth
DL: T. Watt
LB: White
DB: Adams | Kearse | Stingley

🏆: 2023

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:08 am

SStory93 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 am 1. Don’t overpay for your guy. You don’t know as much as you think you do. Emotional maturity is understanding that you don’t win or lose any extra if you have “your guy” on your team. Be dispassionate and just take the best player.

2. Think beyond a 2-3 year window. Yeah, it’s really hard to predict that far out, and people get hurt. I get it. But younger players hold their value for longer.

3. Almost every trade that happens in your league that you aren’t involved in hurts your team. Be active.

4. There are 1 or 2 guys in most leagues who are dumb enough to accept a bad offer, and if you don’t send it to them, somebody else will.

5. Unless you think an offer is extraordinarily in your favor, shop around before you take a deal.

6. It’s ok to sell low. Ask everybody who turned down offers last season for Sam Darnold in SuperFlex. Looking at you, Drew Lock.

7. People don’t shop their top of the line players nearly enough. Maybe in small lineup formats this is fine, but guys like Barkley, McCaffery, Kamara can land you more than they’re worth.

Yeah, can't get on board with most of this post. To each there own though
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:20 am

murphysxm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:08 am

Maybe he’s the one guy in the league dumb enough to accept the bad offer!

Jk🤗

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:21 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 am 8. The higher yield drafting strategy is to
Indeed

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:22 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:20 am

Jk🤗
Everyone knows OCR loves starting offers, can't get enough of them.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am

I think just two- get your guys and the 2-3 year window.

The idea that it’s important to “get your guys” is based on the flawed, largely emotionally driven premise that you will feel better when you lose with “your guys” than you will when you lose with “your guys” on another roster. That’s logically bankrupt. This game is a prognostic and negotiatory exercise; winning feels good, losing feels bad, and emotional attachment to a player who will never know that you exist is a weakness.

As for the 2-3 year window, people parrot this all the time but I don’t see anybody taking Julio Jones over DJ Moore. The problem with this philosophy is that it focuses on production but ignores value. I mean... Russel Gage is going to outproduce a 2023 1st over a 2-3 year window. You swapping your 2023 first for Gage?
bjd5211 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:21 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 am 8. The higher yield drafting strategy is to
Indeed
Well at least we know exactly what time this place officially broke my brain.
bjd5211 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:22 am

Jk🤗
lol. For those of you who don’t keep up to date with my opinions, I think we talk about sending “bad offers” as though it’s a moral failing, which has led to people calling their bad offers “starting offers” as though that makes it different. There is nothing wrong with sending a bad offer to the owners you think are dumb enough to take them.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:21 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am

The idea that it’s important to “get your guys” is based on the flawed, largely emotionally driven premise that you will feel better when you lose with “your guys” than you will when you lose with “your guys” on another roster. That’s logically bankrupt. This game is a prognostic and negotiatory exercise; winning feels good, losing feels bad, and emotional attachment to a player who will never know that you exist is a weakness.

As for the 2-3 year window, people parrot this all the time but I don’t see anybody taking Julio Jones over DJ Moore. The problem with this philosophy is that it focuses on production but ignores value. I mean... Russel Gage is going to outproduce a 2023 1st over a 2-3 year window. You swapping your 2023 first for Gage?
Indeed

Jk🤗
lol. For those of you who don’t keep up to date with my opinions, I think we talk about sending “bad offers” as though it’s a moral failing, which has led to people calling their bad offers “starting offers” as though that makes it different. There is nothing wrong with sending a bad offer to the owners you think are dumb enough to take them.
This. If you're an established owner and dues are paid up, I will gladly bend you over. I could care less about league parity.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:21 am

Indeed

This. If you're an established owner and dues are paid up, I will gladly bend you over. I could care less about league parity.
Evocative, but fair.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:03 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:21 am

Evocative, but fair.
Something something business and pleasure.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:41 pm

Alternately, trades happen, and even if they don't involve you, you can profit. Trades can-
-indicate what an owner intends with their team
-show an owner (over)values youth/production/picks
-imbalance a roster (which you can help them address in a trade)
-strengthen/weaken a team that you own the picks for; sell before it becomes clear they're a contender, or hold with a death grip; if you don't own the pick of a tanking team, buy it before it becomes obvious
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
The 3 year window doesn't ignore value; it just doesn't exaggerate it. It's not telling you to trade all your youth for vets or to make illogical win now moves like trading a first for some random WR. It's just a good reminder for those who think they have someone's peak production or situation forever, or that a league will continue to be active.

Football typically changes significantly every 3 years. Whether it's veteran players falling off, young players peaking then regressing, coaching changes, injuries, a draft class shaking up the landscape, free agency, trades, etc.

Focus on what you have in front of you and don't concern yourself with stuff that's so far out. Focus on winning now, while not being irresponsible about it.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:41 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
The 3 year window doesn't ignore value; it just doesn't exaggerate it. It's not telling you to trade all your youth for vets or to make illogical win now moves like trading a first for some random WR. It's just a good reminder for those who think they have someone's peak production or situation forever, or that a league will continue to be active.

Football typically changes significantly every 3 years. Whether it's veteran players falling off, young players peaking then regressing, coaching changes, injuries, a draft class shaking up the landscape, free agency, trades, etc.

Focus on what you have in front of you and don't concern yourself with stuff that's so far out. Focus on winning now, while not being irresponsible about it.
That sounds like you’re thinking beyond a 2-3 year window.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 am

I agree with the don’t employ the “get your guys”

Also, acquire draft picks years in advanced. I’m in 2 long-running friends leagues, that aren’t going anywhere, but it amazes me how much cheaper future year draft picks are. I always buy them. I don’t understand why they’re discounted. In traditional transactions, assets now are more expensive, cause you can grow the assets. But, with these picks, anything else you trade for likely lessens in value, on average, while future picks grow. Teams also underrate the likelihood their future first will be top of draft.
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 am

SteelLake wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 am I agree with the don’t employ the “get your guys”

Also, acquire draft picks years in advanced. I’m in 2 long-running friends leagues, that aren’t going anywhere, but it amazes me how much cheaper future year draft picks are. I always buy them. I don’t understand why they’re discounted. In traditional transactions, assets now are more expensive, cause you can grow the assets. But, with these picks, anything else you trade for likely lessens in value, on average, while future picks grow. Teams also underrate the likelihood their future first will be top of draft.
I wish I could get a discount on future picks. No one does this in my leagues.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:43 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:41 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote:

That sounds like you’re thinking beyond a 2-3 year window.
Only in the sense that you understand that football changes significantly every 3 years, so you should maximize what you have now rather than what you'll have in 4, 5, 6 years.

Brian Malone had a good article about it in 2015:
https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2015/ ... ur-window/

His conclusion is to play in even shorter windows than 3.

It also ties into RB production, which is the foundation for any contender, usually peaks during the first contract, and has 2-3 years of optimal production.