One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:15 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am I’ll add this-
Play using your heart to guide you if you want to have fun.
Play using your head to guide you if you want to win.
Emotional attachments should be saved for pets, family, and romantic relationships.
When people say something like “I have a gut feeling about...”, it is kinda like saying “Against all evidence to the contrary...”
I understand your logic, but sometimes you have a reason to like or not like a player and can't articulate why. Not being able to explain it or going against some common evidence doesn't mean you're wrong.

I've found that going my heart (my guys), I win more too. This is just me, a sample size of 1, so that may not be true for everyone.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:16 pm

murphysxm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:13 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am When people say something like “I have a gut feeling about...”, it is kinda like saying “Against all evidence to the contrary...”
I will disagree with this one, atleast for me personally. To me when I have a gut feeling about a player it's when I value them much higher or lower than the consensus. It is not without evidence to support.
lol then say that, Murph- tell us what the evidence is.

I believe you, but I think you’re the minority here. My experience is that it’s a excuse for not having/understanding evidence.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:55 am

It's just a game / hobby. It's just for fun.

If you constantly agonize over decisions you made or should have made, or you get mad or frustrated over things said or done, then it's no longer fun, and your interest could fizzle out.

Go ahead and overpay for your guy. Go draft that player you really like "too early". Make that trade that's not quite in your favor if it helps get you the guy that you want.

It's just a game, and you can play it any way you want to. Don't let other people's opinions or perceptions sway you from enjoying it your way.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:00 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:16 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am When people say something like “I have a gut feeling about...”, it is kinda like saying “Against all evidence to the contrary...”
I will disagree with this one, atleast for me personally. To me when I have a gut feeling about a player it's when I value them much higher or lower than the consensus. It is not without evidence to support.

I believe you, but I think you’re the minority here. My experience is that it’s a excuse for not having/understanding evidence.
Maybe I should have said I trust my onw instincts sometimes over the consensus if I feel strongly. My evidence is past success in my evaluations coming through
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Maybe I should have said I trust my onw instincts sometimes over the consensus if I feel strongly. My evidence is past success in my evaluations coming through
Do you have the strongest track record of anybody and a near 100% hit rate?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Why does this even matter?

Not everyone plays this game like you. Like I stated FF players have huge egos.

I know that I know way more about throwing mechanics than most due to being a pitching coach for years with a a couple in the major leagues and working with and communicating with multiple professional scouts over the years so I get where some come from about how they evaluate players vs what others might say or believe. Even so I have misses like we all do.

That said; No telling if he knows anything more than most but that isn't about what this thread is even about so throwing shade doesn't make much sense.

I like when FF owners have conviction regardless of what others think as they tear down for zero reason.

Like I say at my golf tournaments .... " Play your own Game"
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Why does this even matter?

Not everyone plays this game like you. Like I stated FF players have huge egos.

I know that I know way more about throwing mechanics than most due to being a pitching coach for years with a a couple in the major leagues and working with and communicating with multiple professional scouts over the years so I get where some come from about how they evaluate players vs what others might say or believe. Even so I have misses like we all do.

That said; No telling if he knows anything more than most but that isn't about what this thread is even about so throwing shade doesn't make much sense.

I like when FF owners have conviction regardless of what others think as they tear down for zero reason.

Like I say at my golf tournaments .... " Play your own Game"
...who wants to tell him?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:01 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:24 pm
...who wants to tell him?
Dude, your posts are not going to hold up well. Keep doing you.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Wait, who's Coogan? Why is he a cheater? Why is he a thief?

:P

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198325&p=1817954&hi ... e#p1817954

Since neither of you geniuses understand the reference.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 am viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198325&p=1817954&hi ... e#p1817954

When am I ever wrong? Even the times I thought I was wrong, I'm not so sure I was. I think I'm batting 1.000 here.

Good luck finding any examples in which I was wrong. I double dog dare you, but it's a waste of time since it cannot be done!
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:55 am It's just a game / hobby. It's just for fun.

If you constantly agonize over decisions you made or should have made, or you get mad or frustrated over things said or done, then it's no longer fun, and your interest could fizzle out.

Go ahead and overpay for your guy. Go draft that player you really like "too early". Make that trade that's not quite in your favor if it helps get you the guy that you want.

It's just a game, and you can play it any way you want to. Don't let other people's opinions or perceptions sway you from enjoying it your way.
sage advice.

:thumbup:

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 am

dlf_mikeh wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 am viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198325&p=1817954&hi ... e#p1817954

When am I ever wrong? Even the times I thought I was wrong, I'm not so sure I was. I think I'm batting 1.000 here.

Good luck finding any examples in which I was wrong. I double dog dare you, but it's a waste of time since it cannot be done!
Mike where did the thread that I bumped go?

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am

I’m starting to come around on the whole “get your guy” thing. I’m a lifelong CU fan and watch damn near every snap they take, year in and year out. If anything, I’ve probably faded CU players like Lindsay and Shenault because I don’t want to fall victim to homerism, even though I damn well KNEW they were both outstanding football players. I’m WAY more of an analytics guy than a film grinder, but if I’ve watched every snap a player has taken in college, I should probably trust my heart a little more.

Anywho, the one thing I’ve learned since I joined these boards is that dynasty players are surprisingly averse to reducing some of the more luck/chance-based elements of this little hobby of ours. I understand that mentality in office redraft leagues where Phyllis from accounts receivable never fails to land a late round gem and coast into the playoffs. I just figured a community of fellow hardcore dynasty nerds would almost uniformly be on board with upping the skill component and lowering the fluke factor. Whenever I’ve tried to start threads about it, I get a lot of “I just love the ‘any given Sunday’ aspect of fantasy” and “if you hate luck so much, why not just do away with H2H games altogether and just accumulate points all year?”

I’m a huge proponent of playing double-headers every week and starting the postseason as early as possible to facilitate multi-week semifinals and championship games. It still preserves the H2H aspect of FF that we all got hooked on (except X2!) and provides a big enough sample size (22-24 games) for the best teams to actually rise to the top. Having two-week semifinals and finals reduces the likelihood that a great team gets bounced after one bad week. It’s still a really bad thing for your team to have a down week in the playoffs. It’s just not a death sentence like it would be in a “one-and-done” playoff format.

In my main league, the #1 seed has won the championship the past four years and the #2 seed was the runner-up in 3/4 years. I’m guessing that sounds awful to a lot of you, but I absolutely love it. When one of us actually knock off that juggernaut team, everyone will know it wasn’t a fluke. That victory will have been hard-earned.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 am

M-Dub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am
I’m a huge proponent of playing double-headers every week and starting the postseason as early as possible to facilitate multi-week semifinals and championship games. It still preserves the H2H aspect of FF that we all got hooked on (except X2!) and provides a big enough sample size (22-24 games) for the best teams to actually rise to the top. Having two-week semifinals and finals reduces the likelihood that a great team gets bounced after one bad week. It’s still a really bad thing for your team to have a down week in the playoffs. It’s just not a death sentence like it would be in a “one-and-done” playoff format.
Interesting dichotomy in your post. You champion reducing the luck element of the game and then strongly advocate pushing playoffs into the bye week portion of the NFL season, where dynasty players will have absolutely no control over having stud vets missing the games due to the schedule.