One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: One thing I've learned about fantasy football...

Postby M-Dub » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:17 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 am
M-Dub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 am
I’m a huge proponent of playing double-headers every week and starting the postseason as early as possible to facilitate multi-week semifinals and championship games. It still preserves the H2H aspect of FF that we all got hooked on (except X2!) and provides a big enough sample size (22-24 games) for the best teams to actually rise to the top. Having two-week semifinals and finals reduces the likelihood that a great team gets bounced after one bad week. It’s still a really bad thing for your team to have a down week in the playoffs. It’s just not a death sentence like it would be in a “one-and-done” playoff format.
Interesting dichotomy in your post. You champion reducing the luck element of the game and then strongly advocate pushing playoffs into the bye week portion of the NFL season, where dynasty players will have absolutely no control over having stud vets missing the games due to the schedule.
No sir. That’s why I said as early as possible. I won’t bore you with the minutiae, but we have a couple different playoff models depending on when the bye weeks wrap up.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:52 pm

palevermilion wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 am • Making the playoffs consistently takes skill. Winning the championship takes luck.
Man I hate this, but it's true. I have been in 3 of the last 4 championship games in my league and only managed to win one of them. In one of my re-drafts, I have made the championship game SEVEN times and have won only once in 30+ years. I sometimes feel that I inadvertently pissed off an old gypsy woman.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 am

Walter W. wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:52 pm
palevermilion wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 am • Making the playoffs consistently takes skill. Winning the championship takes luck.
Man I hate this, but it's true. I have been in 3 of the last 4 championship games in my league and only managed to win one of them. In one of my re-drafts, I have made the championship game SEVEN times and have won only once in 30+ years. I sometimes feel that I inadvertently pissed off an old gypsy woman.
Bet we could start another thread on this. High points the last 5 years, 3 finals, no wins
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 am

IR1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 am
Bet we could start another thread on this. High points the last 5 years, 3 finals, no wins
I do believe there was a big "unlucky / woe is me / therapy" thread before

palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Postby palevermilion » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am

This year was the first year I've ever been the #1 team all year and then won a championship. I've never had that before. Every time I've been a favorite I've lost. And the few times in my fantasy football history I've won the championship, I've never had the best team all season. But wow, 7 appearances and only 1 win in 30+ years? That would make me rethink my hobby almost haha

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 am

A couple of things actually that stick out...

Always be moving. Never sit stagnant. Championship teams are not going to fall in your lap with a single early/mid 1st every year. They aren't built on complacency and inactivity. If you aren't winning you should be selling, trading, and/or farming the wire for value and flipping. If you are winning you should be shoring up weak spots and moving late picks for championship insurance.

While you should look to sell at peak and prior to decline, constantly churning and incorporating youth and upside into your team, realize that it is a fine line to ride and some players will simply not fetch the return they deserve for various reason, and those players are best suited to ride until the wheels fall off.

That's how I play and it has always worked in my favor. Hate to see teams tread water for years with no plan.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am

palevermilion wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am
This year was the first year I've ever been the #1 team all year and then won a championship. I've never had that before. Every time I've been a favorite I've lost. And the few times in my fantasy football history I've won the championship, I've never had the best team all season. But wow, 7 appearances and only 1 win in 30+ years? That would make me rethink my hobby almost haha
No kidding. I am in a couple other re-drafts that I have won a few times each, but that's my oldest league (since 1989) and it pisses me off that I've only won it once.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7