Ja'Marr Chase Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Re: Ja'Marr Chase Thread

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:32 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 am
TheNuts wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 am They took this guy in the first round. Why will teams never learn?
At 5 overall. When they have their franchise QB coming back from major injury and could've taken OL or traded down and received a haul.
Even if Chase becomes T15WR, I think Cincy made a mistake. OL was a much more pressing need. Then again, the coaches know their players best and if Cincy coaches/GM felt Higgins is not a #1WR then I guess they know what the team needed more.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:50 am

Unpopular opinion, but I don't think drops are a big deal. There's a lot of really good receivers who are at the top of the league there. We've seen Adams, Evans, Cooper all get killed for it, but eventually they got better.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:54 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:50 am Unpopular opinion, but I don't think drops are a big deal. There's a lot of really good receivers who are at the top of the league there. We've seen Adams, Evans, Cooper all get killed for it, but eventually they got better.
This

Biggest mistake dynasty owners make it chasing efficiency and hoping for volume instead of the opposite

Targets are earned not given

Believing otherwise is how you end up believing ludicrous things like Fant>Hockenson or that Kenny Stills is about to break out to top WR status every year because "look at how efficient he is"

If Chase is getting close to a 20% target share in season competing with Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd, I don't care about the drops

Drops and efficiency are not sticky--target share is

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:09 am

The point, I think, is that he is not earning it. I read somewhere that Tate pulled ahead of him on the depth chart at some point, though I doubt that continues into the season given the draft capital. If he continues to have the yips, Burrow will theoretically stop throwing to him.

I expect him to turn it around at some point, but he looks pretty rough starting out.

Look at someone like Diontae Johnson last year. He had a bad case of the drops, but had already put out good tape previously, which cemented his role. That's the difference between him (and Adams, Evans etc) and Chase at this point.
Last edited by jman3134 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:10 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:54 am ...
This reminded me of some famous quotes (all from the same player) that I always found funny.

“I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and l’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some string like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem.’

“‘You’re making me look bad, and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?'”

“For a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio [Jones] gets, those 20 targets that Odell [Beckham Jr.] gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets.”

20 targets a game :lol:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:30 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:10 am
“For a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio [Jones] gets, those 20 targets that Odell [Beckham Jr.] gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets.”
He's not lying. Targets/Touches are king. That's why when Mostert gets injured, we all chase his backup. And when the backup gets injured, we all chase the backup's backup. The backup doesn't have to have the raw talent of the starter. As long as he gets the touches/targets, he will produce.

Last week, Dobbins was a Rd2 pick, Gus was a Rd8-9 pick, and Ty was undrafted. This week, Gus is a Rd2-3 pick, Ty is a Rd 9-10 pick, and Dobbins is undrafted. That's not following the talent, that's following the touches/targets.

"Next man up" is not a lie. It's a way of life.

Follow the targets/touches, find your way to fantasy playoffs.
TEAM 1:
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:38 am

This reminded me of some famous quotes (all from the same player) that I always found funny.

“I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and l’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some string like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem.’

“‘You’re making me look bad, and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?'”

Who said those?

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 am

dynastyninja wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:38 am

Who said those?
Sammy Watkins.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:37 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:30 am
He's not lying. Targets/Touches are king. That's why when Mostert gets injured, we all chase his backup. And when the backup gets injured, we all chase the backup's backup. The backup doesn't have to have the raw talent of the starter. As long as he gets the touches/targets, he will produce.

Last week, Dobbins was a Rd2 pick, Gus was a Rd8-9 pick, and Ty was undrafted. This week, Gus is a Rd2-3 pick, Ty is a Rd 9-10 pick, and Dobbins is undrafted. That's not following the talent, that's following the touches/targets.

"Next man up" is not a lie. It's a way of life.

Follow the targets/touches, find your way to fantasy playoffs.
Yes targets are king...but there's a few funny errors in his argument.

1. Sammy wasn't being targeted as often in part because he WASN'T on the field all that often!
2. Targets are in part earned. You perform, and you get more targets. He wasn't performing with the targets given like a stud would that earns huge targets.
3. 15-20 targets per game. :lol: No one was getting even close to that figure. He was claiming that the only reason Julio and Beckham were out-performing him was because they were getting 15-20 targets per game.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:39 am

Just imagine the shock, outrage, and hate that will dominate this thread when Ruggs scores more fantasy points this season! :roll: :wtf:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:41 am

Ice wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:39 am Just imagine the shock, outrage, and hate that will dominate this thread when Ruggs scores more fantasy points this season! :roll: :wtf:
Maybe when Ruggs is in the XFL in a few years

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:54 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:37 am 1. Sammy wasn't being targeted as often in part because he WASN'T on the field all that often!
:lol: That's the biggest problem. His mascot should be a band-aid.
TEAM 1:

TEAM 2:
2023 semifinals loser

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:15 pm

The drops don't bother me. I'm a bit shaken by the off-field stuff (which admittedly seems to all be coming from IG).

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Not sure I agree that drops are not important. Dionte Johnson gets by by having poor hands because he is open all the freaking time. And even still, if other WRs can step up, Johnson's targets are going to go down.

I don't think Ja'Marr Chase will be as open as Dionte. His game is supposed to be contested catches, and he plays bigger than he is.
We have seen none of that.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:17 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:50 am Unpopular opinion, but I don't think drops are a big deal. There's a lot of really good receivers who are at the top of the league there. We've seen Adams, Evans, Cooper all get killed for it, but eventually they got better.
It's one thing to be 3rd worst in the NFL with 4 drops through 8 weeks while leading the NFL in targets.

It's an entirely other thing to have 4 drops on 5 targets.

Obviously very small sample size here, but we are talking an extreme outlier here. I can't remember anyone recording that many drops that quickly. Maybe it will just be a blip/coincidence in the long run but he is still a long ways from anything those guys ever did.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert