General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Bengals + Chase?

Postby Kmani6 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am
murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:03 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:17 am Sewell, Pitts or Chase would all be phenomenal picks for Cincy and a strong argument could be made for any of them. The best case scenario for Cincy would be QBs going 1-4 and then trading down to 8 with Carolina who would be protecting themselves from getting jumped for the 5th, and then Cincy takes the likely remainder of those 3 players and getting extra draft capital.
While I think the team need is so strong for OL help, this makes some serious sense
It is a need, but I think a combo of Chase/Fields + early 2nd round OL would have a bigger impact for the offense and Burrow than Sewell + 2nd round WR/TE. I understand either viewpoint, but I think the drop off from Chase or Pitts to the late 1st/early 2nd round receivers is bigger than the drop off from Sewell to the late 1st/early 2nd OLs.
Ive been seeing this line of reasoning a lot lately and I disagree. The premise of the relative positional values in R1/R2 is fair, but the bengals weapons “need” is not even remotely close to the need caused by their abysmal line.

Boyd and Higgins are both going to top 1000 yards this year if they stay healthy and they also have Mixon/Bernard in the backfield. That group of weapons is definitely reasonable and should allow burrow to be successful as a year 2 QB. It certainly won’t be a huge limiting factor in his growth/development.

On the other hand, their line was ranked 31st this last year by PFF, and was a large reason burrow tore up his leg. Burrow took 32 sacks (t-2nd most) and 42 quarterback hits (t-5th most) over the first 11 weeks of the season...

The line simply cannot be fixed with a late R1/or early R2 guy. The bengals need an all pro level talent in Sewell + even more help in upcoming drafts to remotely address the issue. If they don’t pick Sewell if given the opportunity at 5 then they are practicing total negligence and setting a terrible precedent for how they aim to protect their franchise QB in the future.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am

I feel like there's more WR depth in this class than OL depth.

From a real football perspective, taking Chase over Sewell doesn't make a lot of sense. But, maybe the Bengals think there's someone in the 2nd round they can get who would be just as good as Sewell.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 am

Kmani6 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am
murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:03 am

While I think the team need is so strong for OL help, this makes some serious sense
It is a need, but I think a combo of Chase/Fields + early 2nd round OL would have a bigger impact for the offense and Burrow than Sewell + 2nd round WR/TE. I understand either viewpoint, but I think the drop off from Chase or Pitts to the late 1st/early 2nd round receivers is bigger than the drop off from Sewell to the late 1st/early 2nd OLs.
Ive been seeing this line of reasoning a lot lately and I disagree. The premise of the relative positional values in R1/R2 is fair, but the bengals weapons “need” is not even remotely close to the need caused by their abysmal line.

Boyd and Higgins are both going to top 1000 yards this year if they stay healthy and they also have Mixon/Bernard in the backfield. That group of weapons is definitely reasonable and should allow burrow to be successful as a year 2 QB. It certainly won’t be a huge limiting factor in his growth/development.

On the other hand, their line was ranked 31st this last year by PFF, and was a large reason burrow tore up his leg. Burrow took 32 sacks (t-2nd most) and 42 quarterback hits (t-5th most) over the first 11 weeks of the season...

The line simply cannot be fixed with a late R1/or early R2 guy. The bengals need an all pro level talent in Sewell + even more help in upcoming drafts to remotely address the issue. If they don’t pick Sewell if given the opportunity at 5 then they are practicing total negligence and setting a terrible precedent for how they aim to protect their franchise QB in the future.
Don't think it changes the point you are making much, but they released Gio.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 am

failblazer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 am Am I the only one who thinks they go full Bengals and take Micah Parsons?
See I think going “full-Bengals” just means taking whoever Mel Kiper has ranked highest when they pick. I doubt they take Parsons, I think it will be Chase or Pitts.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm

With Chase looking to be the pick what does this mean for Higgins? Thinking of buying on the dip when the selection is announced

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:55 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm With Chase looking to be the pick what does this mean for Higgins? Thinking of buying on the dip when the selection is announced
Is Chase the most likely pick right now?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:55 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm With Chase looking to be the pick what does this mean for Higgins? Thinking of buying on the dip when the selection is announced
Is Chase the most likely pick right now?
Insiders (NFL and Bengals specific ones) seem to be assuming it's Chase. The "GM" (kind of) praised the depth of the tackle class and said there are lots of 1st round graded tackles likely to be available in the 2nd.

Not saying I agree that it's the right pick but I would bet on Chase being the pick with some confidence

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:35 pm

I think that's a wise time to buy if you're still high on Higgins... I could definitely see his owner in my league being rattled, and it could turn out to be a sharp buy.

Without a doubt, Chase is going to be the alpha of this team if he is indeed the selection. Whether that helps Tee eat more, or eat less - will be the question. Got to think Tee vs. #2 CB's will be a mismatch all season long.

I do believe Burrow was leading (or close to leading) the league in pass attempts when he got injured, so at least you know volume won't be a problem...

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Started this thread weeks ago - happy as a Burrow owner, but have Higgins and Boyd! Not sure I like this...
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:55 am

I wonder what the historical rates are for pairing QB with WR from college. I honestly have no clue how frequently it happens but I doubt it can happen too often due to the wide range of schools that QBs tend to come from, whereas most of the WR/RBs seem to congregate in the Power 5?
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:36 am

ArrylT wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:55 am I wonder what the historical rates are for pairing QB with WR from college. I honestly have no clue how frequently it happens but I doubt it can happen too often due to the wide range of schools that QBs tend to come from, whereas most of the WR/RBs seem to congregate in the Power 5?
Tim Tebow and Aaron Hernandez

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:43 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am I feel like there's more WR depth in this class than OL depth.

From a real football perspective, taking Chase over Sewell doesn't make a lot of sense. But, maybe the Bengals think there's someone in the 2nd round they can get who would be just as good as Sewell.
Almost every "NFL" person has said the exact opposite. Plenty of Oline talent this year and a well below average WR class after the top guys.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:51 am

jomaed wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:43 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am I feel like there's more WR depth in this class than OL depth.

Almost every "NFL" person has said the exact opposite. Plenty of Oline talent this year and a well below average WR class after the top guys.
Yup, and looking at the remaining draft board the OT's much deeper than WR, especially for Cincy because most of the top WRs left are smaller slot guys and Cincy already has Boyd. Bengals are going to get a OT in the 2nd that could have gone 1st round. Chase was the right pick for Cincinnati.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 am

Looking more into it, I think Cinncy was on pace for the 3rd most pass attempts until Burrow went down. After doing a double glance, AJ Green had 104 targets (only 40 odd catches) and Boyd and Higgins both had 100. I image if Burrow stays on the field, this trend will continue. Obviously Chase grabbing those open 104 plus some as WR1! But I think Higgins and Boyd can eat too at 100+ targets.
Last edited by dvpkwys on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 am

dvpkwys wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 am Looking more into it, I think Cinncy was on pass for the 3rd most pass attempts until Burrow went down. After doing a double glance, AJ Green had 104 targets (only 40 odd catches) and Boyd and Higgins both had 100. I image if Burrow stays on the field, this trend will continue. Obviously Chase grabbing those open 104 plus some as WR1! But I think Higgins and Boyd can eat too at 100+ targets.
If they pass at that rate again I'm not sure Burrow will survive a full season, regardless of his WR core.

The pick makes sense though. I don't love it, but Chase is an incredible WR prospect so its hard to fault them if they are confident in their line improving in other ways.