Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
W90WBA
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby W90WBA » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:18 am

I'm seriously thinking about taking him in one of my league which is 2RB, 2WR, 1TE and 2 Flex

I 've got 2 picks in the top 4 so happy to gamble one of those picks on a player like Pitts
14 Man League
QB: R.Wilson / K.Cousins
RB: L.Bell / D.Henry / R.Freeman / J.K.Dobbins / J.Williams
WR: C.Kupp / N.Harry / M.Boykin / J.Hurd / E.St.Brown / K.J.Hill / M.Pittman
TE: H.Henry / N.Fant / I.Thomas / A.Okwuegbunam
PK: H.Butker

12 Man League
QB: R.Wilson / D.Jones
RB: S.Barkley / M.Sanders / R.Armstead / D.Lewis / D.Dallas
WR: K.Allen / J.Landry / K.Harmon / T.McLaruin / H.Renfrow / K.Stills / D.Westbrook / P.Williams / B.Cooks / D.Mims / G.Davis / A.Gandy-Golden
TE: M.Andrews / R.Gronkowski / I.Thomas

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby murphysxm » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am

I really think two things that the "I won't take a TE with an early pick because they will bust or take too long to develop" crowd are missing are:

1. This WR class is good enough I will get value in the mid 2nd round at this position and RB is so weak I don't expect anybody to be a plug and play fantasy starter. This is the year to take a chance at TE this high of a ceiling

2. Pitts isn't like any TE prospect we have seen. If he somehow takes time to develop, the owner that drafted him isn't giving up on him. If Pitts hts early, an owner that drafted him is not moving him for practically any price.

Predraft he is my #2 PASS CATCHER. I won't take him over Chase, but Chase is the only player in this class that has a higher ceiling. I may be wrong on being this high on Pitts, but I will kick myself for years if I take a Moore or Bateman type WR over him.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am I really think two things that the "I won't take a TE with an early pick because they will bust or take too long to develop" crowd are missing are:

1. This WR class is good enough I will get value in the mid 2nd round at this position and RB is so weak I don't expect anybody to be a plug and play fantasy starter. This is the year to take a chance at TE this high of a ceiling

2. Pitts isn't like any TE prospect we have seen. If he somehow takes time to develop, the owner that drafted him isn't giving up on him. If Pitts hts early, an owner that drafted him is not moving him for practically any price.

Predraft he is my #2 PASS CATCHER. I won't take him over Chase, but Chase is the only player in this class that has a higher ceiling. I may be wrong on being this high on Pitts, but I will kick myself for years if I take a Moore or Bateman type WR over him.
Bolded Part 1: Is that a good thing? I think that's why people are so on the fence about him. It's hard to trust something you've never seen before. Those darn unicorns and sasquatches!

Bolded part 2: Agreed he's ahead of those two on "safe" factor (landing pending), but it's a coinflip currently between him and Smith that I'm not sure what way to lean. It changes every day with the wind.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:35 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:28 am
murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am I really think two things that the "I won't take a TE with an early pick because they will bust or take too long to develop" crowd are missing are:

Bolded Part 1: Is that a good thing? I think that's why people are so on the fence about him. It's hard to trust something you've never seen before. Those darn unicorns and sasquatches!

Bolded part 2: Agreed he's ahead of those two on "safe" factor (landing pending), but it's a coinflip currently between him and Smith that I'm not sure what way to lean. It changes every day with the wind.
I guess bolded part 1 is a flexibility question. I don't see him as a unicorn, just where the position is going personified. For part two, I have Waddle ahead of Smith, so Smith decision is easy for me. I have Pitts well above any other WR.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Carpe Diem
Seize the day

I would comment firstly that it should be noted that rookie picks come every year. If you believe in Kyle Pitts being a game changer then there is nothing wrong with being bold & brave and taking him early in the 1st. Because players like Pitts do not come around every year and usually you need a top 3-4 draft pick to get a Blue Chip Asset in a rookie draft 1 QB ppr. So you're getting a potential elite asset at a scarce position outside of the zone you need to draft the same at RB/WR.

TE is a funny position but there are 2 constants imho.

1 - 1st round Pedigree TEs, like QBs, have a very safe history of constantly getting chances to produce. So as long as an owner has the patience, they are likely to be rewarded.

2 - Scarcity, opportunity & team scheme means that there are usually 2-4 TEs with good odds of a top 6 season, while the rest depending on target opportunity fall between TE 8-24. Last year for example TEs 8-23 all produced on a 8-10 ppg basis, but the names change yearly.

Pitts projected outcome, without taking landing spot into account is basically, like someone mentioned with Ebron, that you'll have a TE with constant low end TE1 seasons (Ebron out of 7 full seasons has had 3 low end TE1-high end TE2 and 1 Top 6 TE1 I believe). And that is like Worst Case Scenario (ie he goes to a team that doesnt develop him properly, he struggles with drops, has injuries & switches teams a couple of times). A guy like Engram, again not fully broken out, and has several TE1 seasons (his injury shortened 2018 was still a borderline TE1) including a strong but not elite Rookie season while only having 1 fully healthy season (2020).

Engram had a perfect storm of bad luck - No Barkley, Daniel Jones, & a very low TD Passing season (ie the Giants had 12 Passing TDs). Out of the past 3 years and of 96 total seasons (32 x 3 years) there have been a total of 3 teams that had 13 or less TD Passes and 2 of them were this year and 1 was Buffalo 2018. Give Engram 5-6 TDS instead of 1 (not implausible since he had 6 previously and averaged 3 in 2 injury shortened seasons) and he is in the top 6. Engram in 2020 was top 6 TE in targets, receptions & yardage. Simply not TDs.

And basically that is what you are looking at when you draft Pitts most likely - a worst case scenario for Pitts could be Engram 2020 or a Ebron 2017, but with a potential that 2018 Ebron is your yearly floor average for Pitts. And we know what his upside is by looking at guys like Kelce, Kittle & Gronkowski.

So just to clarify

Worst likely outcome - 2017 Ebron / 2020 Engram (borderline TE1)
middle ground floor - 2018 Ebron / 2017 Engram (top 6 TE1)
potential upside - Kittle / Kelce like seasons where they are equivalent to a low end WR1 or high end WR2 in scoring
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Heard this a million times and it never holds up. People will absolutely sell Pitts lower than his rookie value if he doesn't breakout in a few years. And that's when the sharks will smell blood.

You can always get TE's for lower than their initial value before a breakout.

I think Pitts is going to be a stud, but the TE position is brutal to master and some bumps along the way seem likely.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:55 pm

Just want to add that Diggs was WR3 last year at 314.0 points
Kelce would have been 4th over all WR at 313.7

Jefferson finished 8th WR at 251.9 points
Waller was just ahead of him at 252.9

The Game is changing as a precious few TE's are as athletic as the better WR's in space in today's NFL. Both Kelce and Waller had over 100 receptions last year.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm generally in the don't draft a TE early in rookie drafts camp, but outside of the top few picks this year, why not Pitts? In a non SF/2QB league, elite TE's give the biggest weekly advantage over replacement value.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 pm I'm generally in the don't draft a TE early in rookie drafts camp, but outside of the top few picks this year, why not Pitts? In a non SF/2QB league, elite TE's give the biggest weekly advantage over replacement value.
Says the guy displaying a team with Kelce AND Kittle in a 16 teamer lol

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:31 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 pm I'm generally in the don't draft a TE early in rookie drafts camp, but outside of the top few picks this year, why not Pitts? In a non SF/2QB league, elite TE's give the biggest weekly advantage over replacement value.
I can speak from experience.

Kelce was a late round startup pick and Kittle nearly went undrafted in a 16 teamer.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:52 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:37 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:31 pm
I can speak from experience.

Kelce was a late round startup pick and Kittle nearly went undrafted in a 16 teamer.
Of course, just pulling your leg

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:55 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Heard this a million times and it never holds up. People will absolutely sell Pitts lower than his rookie value if he doesn't breakout in a few years. And that's when the sharks will smell blood.

I think Pitts is going to be a stud, but the TE position is brutal to master and some bumps along the way seem likely.
X2
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm

This is nonsense ... Engram was not used as a traditional TE and flourished early in his career ... Pitts is a "million times" more talented than Engram, so if he goes to a good situation (ATL, CIN, MIA) he'll be worth the investment right away ... if he goes to DET ... well .. that would suck.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm You can always get TE's for lower than their initial value before a breakout.

I just don’t get this take. Show me one trade where you traded low on a TE before a break out.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:34 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm You can always get TE's for lower than their initial value before a breakout.

I just don’t get this take. Show me one trade where you traded low on a TE before a break out.
Dunno that’s it’s indicative of an overall landscape here, but I bought super low on Kittle in one league. Think he was a throw in on a deal that the main player wasn’t even worth a first. Can’t recall exactly

I’ve got to admit this was an outlier too though. I’m usually one to advocate being strong at TE if you want to compete, yet I don’t tend to end up drafting them. But,I will shell out to get em via trade. Paid up to get kelce in sig league.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st