Your biggest regret in Rookie Drafts?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Your biggest regret in Rookie Drafts?

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 pm
Bot101 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 pm I took Guice over Chubb at 1.02. My gut said Chubb, my heart said Guice...
I made the same pick but I don't consider it a mistake, it just didn't work out. You can't predict the injuries, and Chubb had significantly more reason for concern health wise entering the league, and you REALLY can't predict all the off-field issues Guice had. I still believe Guice was the better pick and would have been the better player if he hadn't fallen apart physically and mentally, and he is just another example of talent not being the only factor to success. We're not going to get them all right.
There were warning signs when Guice fell to the late 2nd, going well after Chubb and Kerryon Johnson.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:40 am

Hindsight is always 20/20. Just remember for every stud you passed on you also passed on 3-4x as many players who never reached said heights either.

I think I tend to only have regrets when I get too cute.

For example, had I simply taken Guice over Chubb. No regrets. But in one league I moved up from 1.04 to 1.02 to get Guice. That I regret. Basically if you're in a range of 3-4 guys you're interested in, sometimes it will be less painful to just let it fall to you.

IE taking Doctson at 1.05 in 2016 would be less painful than going from 1.06 to 1.02 and ending up with Corey Coleman while that owner now has Michael Thomas.

Or moving back 3-4 spots, expecting the same player to still be there. Maybe they will be, maybe they wont. But if they are not and then the player you do take is a "bust" while if you had stayed and "reached" for your guy instead ...

In the end you have to do you. Do what you feel is best for your team. But in hindsight, getting too "cute" may be the cause of more regrets than rewards. Don't spend too much time regretting your decisions, learn from them. Too much regret will lead to paralysis, while proper retrospection can lead to improved process.

So while I am sad DGB, Treadwell, Kevin White, Leonte Carroo, Samaje Perine and/or D'Onta Foreman may have not panned out - we should know that going into the draft to remember the odds of success are never 100% and it is hindsight that allows you to look back and think if only ....
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:47 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 pm
Bot101 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 pm I took Guice over Chubb at 1.02. My gut said Chubb, my heart said Guice...
I made the same pick but I don't consider it a mistake, it just didn't work out. You can't predict the injuries, and Chubb had significantly more reason for concern health wise entering the league, and you REALLY can't predict all the off-field issues Guice had. I still believe Guice was the better pick and would have been the better player if he hadn't fallen apart physically and mentally, and he is just another example of talent not being the only factor to success. We're not going to get them all right.
There were warning signs when Guice fell to the late 2nd, going well after Chubb and Kerryon Johnson.
And there are "warning signs" about other players that amount to absolutely nothing, and players with no flags that end up being trouble. He was still an 2nd round pick which is high draft investment for RBs.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Penny over Chubb at 1.05, Seahawks homer and chubbs injury was too concerning to me, my gut at the time was saying he would end up with lingering and progressive damage similar to how Gurley has turned out
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:32 pm

I have always traded out unless I had a premium pick.

January 2020 I traded Derrick Henry and 1.08 for Saquon. Looked like a steal, then Jefferson went 1.08, Barkley tore his acl, and Henry had another RB1 season.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:01 pm

MFundercover wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:32 pm I have always traded out unless I had a premium pick.

January 2020 I traded Derrick Henry and 1.08 for Saquon. Looked like a steal, then Jefferson went 1.08, Barkley tore his acl, and Henry had another RB1 season.
Ouch. I had Henry equal with SB straight up. That one hurts.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:56 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:01 pm
MFundercover wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:32 pm I have always traded out unless I had a premium pick.

That was the overpay for Saquon era, where people were trading even more than that. It was generally seen as a steal on forums and within my league at the time, and I dont think anybody had Henry close to Saquon at the time. I'll never overpay for a running back again like that.

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:19 pm

MFundercover wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:56 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:01 pm

That was the overpay for Saquon era, where people were trading even more than that. It was generally seen as a steal on forums and within my league at the time, and I dont think anybody had Henry close to Saquon at the time. I'll never overpay for a running back again like that.
I gave away Chubb + Hunt + 2021 1.10 for barkley last offseason. I feel your pain
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 am

We've still yet to see what Saquon's ceiling is IMO. These Barkley trades may look very different in two years time.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.