The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Deshaun Watson's new deal

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 am

thebadferret wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:05 am Am I the only one who thinks more than 3 (if even) first round picks will never happen? Do the Texans hold any leverage in that negotiations?
I agree. Not to mention Watson has to approve any trade since he has a NTC. Why would he approve a trade to the Jets or another organization if the cost is all of their assets? He is just trading in one bad situation for another.

The Dolphins make the most sense on being able to put a deal together with some high level assets but without completely mortgaging the future.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:41 am

thebadferret wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:05 am Am I the only one who thinks more than 3 (if even) first round picks will never happen? Do the Texans hold any leverage in that negotiations?
The leverage is a Billionaire owner who is just as likely to let Watson sit out and complain in the corner while wearing the dunce cap. Watson does have some say so as he has to accept a deal but thinking he will just sit out and withhold his services would be a foolish on his part given the money at stake.

Players simply will not win a money battle. Watson already took a 27 million signing bonus from the owner and is due another 45 million or so in the next 2 years. That same owner holds those dollars in his wallet. Houston owns the asset rights so they have plenty of leverage.

The fact there are at least 25 owners in the league that want to win a SB an also have unlimited resources is where deals this size are negotiated. None of those owners have a QB anywhere close to Watson's talent.

Watson seems pretty smart and probably has legit agents around him so the only real way a deal goes down is a win/win. Further, Caserio is no dummy. He was director of Player Personnel for the Patriots since 2008. He has worked side by side with arguably the best system in football for years. One would think he has a pretty strong grasp on value.

No telling if a deal goes down but if it does it should be one of the bigger deals ever.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 am

Ice wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:41 am
The leverage is a Billionaire owner who is just as likely to let Watson sit out and complain in the corner while wearing the dunce cap. Watson does have some say so as he has to accept a deal but thinking he will just sit out and withhold his services would be a foolish on his part given the money at stake.

Players simply will not win a money battle. Watson already took a 27 million signing bonus from the owner and is due another 45 million or so in the next 2 years. That same owner holds those dollars in his wallet. Houston owns the asset rights so they have plenty of leverage.

The fact there are at least 25 owners in the league that want to win a SB an also have unlimited resources is where deals this size are negotiated. None of those owners have a QB anywhere close to Watson's talent.

Watson seems pretty smart and probably has legit agents around him so the only real way a deal goes down is a win/win. Further, Caserio is no dummy. He was director of Player Personnel for the Patriots since 2008. He has worked side by side with arguably the best system in football for years. One would think he has a pretty strong grasp on value.

No telling if a deal goes down but if it does it should be one of the bigger deals ever.
Almost assuredly the biggest of all time. In a league where Patrick Mahommes is the bar for a superbowl team for the next decade+, a guy like Watson is one of the few who can truly elevate an organization to the level required. This isn't going to be a trade to eat some of the Texans cap issues. It's going to be a team going all in, and the texans receiving a kings ransom to kick start their rebuild.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 am

CGW wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 am
Almost assuredly the biggest of all time. In a league where Patrick Mahommes is the bar for a superbowl team for the next decade+, a guy like Watson is one of the few who can truly elevate an organization to the level required. This isn't going to be a trade to eat some of the Texans cap issues. It's going to be a team going all in, and the texans receiving a kings ransom to kick start their rebuild.
Considering I am hearing the Colts are expected to have to give a 1, 2 and 3 for a 33 year old Matt Stafford, I tend to agree
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:09 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:45 am
Considering I am hearing the Colts are expected to have to give a 1, 2 and 3 for a 33 year old Matt Stafford, I tend to agree
....wait what?? Ballard is considering that?
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:26 pm

Hankybro21 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:09 pm
Local rumor mill, wouldn't put it as fact. Have seen it thrown out in a couple of blog/forums though
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:37 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:26 pm
Hankybro21 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Local rumor mill, wouldn't put it as fact. Have seen it thrown out in a couple of blog/forums though
Ugh.
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:59 pm

While we’re throwing out pipe dream trade scenarios, and given the news that Miami wants Watson but Houston would rather draft a QB than take Tua, here’s a three teamer:

Houston gets: Houston’s 2021 1st, Pittsburgh’s 2021 1st, Miami’s 2021 1st, Houston’s 2021 2nd, and Pittsburgh’s 2021 2nd

Pittsburgh gets: Tua

Miami gets: Watson

Three firsts, one of which is the 1.03 and guaranteed to be Fields or Wilson, plus the 2.03 and Pittsburgh’s 2nd, feels like it’s probably enough for Watson and his contract. I have absolutely no idea if Pittsburgh is interested in Tua, but they should be.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:21 pm

mild wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:12 pm
CGW wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:45 am Miami would have to be the far and away favorite. Everything else is just fan bias and dreaming. Not many teams have the assets to pull this off and of the short list that do, I think the Texans or Watson would veto most (Jax, NYJ).
The Jets are very much in this, and I'm very much not a Jets fan. Watson wouldn't be veto-ing that move. In fact...

https://twitter.com/TheNJMick/status/13 ... 33699?s=20

He had no need to like that post. But he did it anyway to intentionally stoke those fires. The NFL offseason is fun...
Called it. 8-)

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 18210.html
The Jets are Deshaun Watson's preferred trade partner.
The rightfully disgruntled franchise QB prefers the Jets "because they hired Robert Saleh to be their coach and Watson values Saleh so much he wanted the Texans to interview him for their vacant head coach job," according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero. The Dolphins, per Salguero, rank second on Watson's trade wish list. Recent reports out of Houston indicate it's a matter of when -- not if -- Watson is dealt away after the team's string of management mishaps that alienated the cornerstone of the franchise...

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:17 am

Not saying that the Jets couldn't very well be Watson's top spot, but after this many years following the Dolphins' beat I've learned that a lot of what Armando Salguero reports as fact is just something he thinks for wants. Or if I'm being generous to the guy, maybe he's just very gullible and keeps hearing off information at a substantially higher rater than any other reporter on the beat.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am
CubfanAA wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:48 am
Ice wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 am

Watson is also way more than a bit better. Watson is a vastly superior player.

In Cutler's 3rd year he threw 18 interceptions and 25 TD's
His 4th season with a new team he threw 26 interceptions and 27 TD's.

Watson just threw 33 TD's against 7 interceptions in his 4th year. In is last 2 years he threw 59 TD's against 19 interceptions.
Like I said....It was a different game back then. In 2008 Drew Brees threw 17 INT's, Favre threw 22, Warner 14, Rodgers 13. Every single top QB had double digit INT's. Cutler throwing 18 wasn't looked at badly for a 3rd year player that threw for more passing yards than all but 2 QBs that year and was 7th in TDs. Yes, Cutler performed poorly AFTER the trade, but in the year right before the trade he looked like a superstar in the making and stats after the trade don't mean a damned thing when evaluating how the trade was viewed at the time or when using the trade as a comparison for possible hauls of similar trades. We don't have any clue what Watson will do AFTER he is traded (IF he is).
Not really, the game isn't so different that turnovers don't matter. Cutler may be the worst in history at throwing interceptions in the red zone. I haven't checked those stats in years but you may want to check it out. Not all Interceptions are equal but Comparing the talent of these two as remotely close is revisionist history.

Cutler did have a rocket arm but his decision making was the reason he was traded. Cutler was a coach killer.
Yeesh talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You're using a bunch of stuff that happened after the trade with Cutler to evaluate what his value was before the trade.

At the time Cutler being traded was considered one of the most shocking moves in NFL history.

At the time he was traded he wasn't considered as good as Watson is now, but it was close. At the time everyone thought that he was absolutely a 10-time pro bowl franchise making QB. At the time every young QB threw a bunch of interceptions, and really every QB in general. There wasn't a single QB in the top 10 in passing yards that had single digit interceptions. Big Ben and Tom Brady were throwing 13-15 interceptions as "game managers" in that era.

A 3rd year QB throwing 18 interceptions on the 2nd highest passing volume in the league was absolutely 100% a non-factor in most people's minds at that point. He threw fewer INTs per attempt than Roethlisberger, Favre, Brady and basically the same INTs per attempt as Rodgers/Brees.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Just jumping in to say that I don't know where Watson will end up, but I really don't think it's in Miami.

Only my opinion here, but it seems to me that recent bad teams that have managed to turn things around do so by drafting an inexpensive rookie QB who they can control for 5-years, then building around that player. This absolutely appears to be the route the Dolphins are taking, and I can't imagine they'd just throw out that blueprint because Houston's front office and coaching have been a dumpster fire to the point that Watson wants out.

He'll likely get his wish and be playing elsewhere in 2021. But I imagine it will be for a team that doesn't feel they're that far from competing for a division/conference title. While that doesn't sound like the Jets (or Miami for that matter) at least Watson has stated NY is his first choice. We'll see, but I think a lot of the Miami speculation is more about their cap flexibility than about the organization really wanting to lock in a QB at an expensive contract for the next 3-5 years. Stranger things have happened, but I would be genuinely surprised if Watson ends up a Dolphin.

And hiring Charlie Frye as QB coach is another indication that Miami is all-in on Tua moving forward. Planting my flag. Watson won't be a Dolphin.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Only my opinion here, but it seems to me that recent bad teams that have managed to turn things around do so by drafting an inexpensive rookie QB who they can control for 5-years, then building around that player. This absolutely appears to be the route the Dolphins are taking, and I can't imagine they'd just throw out that blueprint because Houston's front office and coaching have been a dumpster fire to the point that Watson wants out.

He'll likely get his wish and be playing elsewhere in 2021. But I imagine it will be for a team that doesn't feel they're that far from competing for a division/conference title. While that doesn't sound like the Jets (or Miami for that matter) at least Watson has stated NY is his first choice. We'll see, but I think a lot of the Miami speculation is more about their cap flexibility than about the organization really wanting to lock in a QB at an expensive contract for the next 3-5 years. Stranger things have happened, but I would be genuinely surprised if Watson ends up a Dolphin.

And hiring Charlie Frye as QB coach is another indication that Miami is all-in on Tua moving forward. Planting my flag. Watson won't be a Dolphin.
Miami went 10-6 last year with Fitz and Tua at QB, pretty sure giving them a top 5 QB would make them feel they are legit division and conference championship contenders. They aren't going to pass on Watson because of his contract, he is exactly the type of QB everyone is trying to find and lock down longterm. Plus Miami (or any other team trading for him) will get a bit of a break on the cap hit and cash owed to him because the Texans would still be responsible for all or at least a portion of his signing bonus.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 am

Vcize wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:26 pm
CubfanAA wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:48 am

Like I said....It was a different game back then. In 2008 Drew Brees threw 17 INT's, Favre threw 22, Warner 14, Rodgers 13. Every single top QB had double digit INT's. Cutler throwing 18 wasn't looked at badly for a 3rd year player that threw for more passing yards than all but 2 QBs that year and was 7th in TDs. Yes, Cutler performed poorly AFTER the trade, but in the year right before the trade he looked like a superstar in the making and stats after the trade don't mean a damned thing when evaluating how the trade was viewed at the time or when using the trade as a comparison for possible hauls of similar trades. We don't have any clue what Watson will do AFTER he is traded (IF he is).
Not really, the game isn't so different that turnovers don't matter. Cutler may be the worst in history at throwing interceptions in the red zone. I haven't checked those stats in years but you may want to check it out. Not all Interceptions are equal but Comparing the talent of these two as remotely close is revisionist history.

Cutler did have a rocket arm but his decision making was the reason he was traded. Cutler was a coach killer.
Yeesh talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You're using a bunch of stuff that happened after the trade with Cutler to evaluate what his value was before the trade.

At the time Cutler being traded was considered one of the most shocking moves in NFL history.

At the time he was traded he wasn't considered as good as Watson is now, but it was close. At the time everyone thought that he was absolutely a 10-time pro bowl franchise making QB. At the time every young QB threw a bunch of interceptions, and really every QB in general. There wasn't a single QB in the top 10 in passing yards that had single digit interceptions. Big Ben and Tom Brady were throwing 13-15 interceptions as "game managers" in that era.

A 3rd year QB throwing 18 interceptions on the 2nd highest passing volume in the league was absolutely 100% a non-factor in most people's minds at that point. He threw fewer INTs per attempt than Roethlisberger, Favre, Brady and basically the same INTs per attempt as Rodgers/Brees.
Wow, Stop trying to compare Cutler to any great QB. Watson is on the great track.

Cutler was an average QB at best. The only time he will sniff the HOF is if he visits it someday.

First 4 years CUTLER
INT's Comp % Rating
5 int. 59.1% 88.5
14 int. 63.6 88.1
18 int. 62.3 86.0
26 int. 60.3 76.8

Watson's
8 int. 61.8 103.0
9 int. 68.3 103.1
12 int. 67.3 98
7 int. 70.2 112.4

Career To date Watson INT% 2.1 Rating 104.6
Career Cutler INT% 3.3 Rating 85.3

Cutler's best passer rating was 92.3 in 2015 over his 12 year career. Watson's worst @ 98 was far better.

I get you think the Cutler trade was all about him but his Int's and Rating dropped 3 straight years. Coaches and GM's don't like to see that as they are great indicators the player isn't a franchise QB. Cutler's numbers really spiraled downward in a big way in year 4 and his average play continued the remainder of his career.

It was shocking to you but it didn't seem shocking to a lot of us. Cutler wasn't nearly as good as you are making him out to be. He did have a solid arm but that alone doesn't make a great player.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 am

Ice wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 am
Vcize wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Wow, Stop trying to compare Cutler to any great QB. Watson is on the great track.

Cutler was an average QB at best. The only time he will sniff the HOF is if he visits it someday.

First 4 years CUTLER
INT's Comp % Rating
5 int. 59.1% 88.5
14 int. 63.6 88.1
18 int. 62.3 86.0
26 int. 60.3 76.8

Watson's
8 int. 61.8 103.0
9 int. 68.3 103.1
12 int. 67.3 98
7 int. 70.2 112.4

Career To date Watson INT% 2.1 Rating 104.6
Career Cutler INT% 3.3 Rating 85.3

Cutler's best passer rating was 92.3 in 2015 over his 12 year career. Watson's worst @ 98 was far better.

I get you think the Cutler trade was all about him but his Int's and Rating dropped 3 straight years. Coaches and GM's don't like to see that as they are great indicators the player isn't a franchise QB. Cutler's numbers really spiraled downward in a big way in year 4 and his average play continued the remainder of his career.

It was shocking to you but it didn't seem shocking to a lot of us. Cutler wasn't nearly as good as you are making him out to be. He did have a solid arm but that alone doesn't make a great player.
Cutler was traded after his 3rd year, so I'm not sure why his 4th year is relevant when talking about his perceived value at the time of the trade.

No one is going to say that Cutler >= Watson at any point in their careers; however in 2008 (his last year with DEN) Cutler was #3 in the NFL in passing yards and was thought of as a franchise QB who was on his way to being elite after 3 straight years of improvement and a immense arm talent. Touted as the "next Favre" :lol:

How quickly things blew up with him and DEN was absolutely shocking. It's revisionist history to claim it wasn't shocking or that Cutler wasn't seen in a similar light to how Watson is viewed today.

Cutler's biggest problem is he didn't give a bleep and was a terrible leader.