The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynastychamp111
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

Postby Dynastychamp111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 am

This time last year most people had Watson as a late first round/early second round pick in dynasty. As a Brady owner I have been eyeing him for sometime. Now it seems as if he is a late second/early third pick in rookie drafts. After watching last nights game, He made several bad throws, some very high, and made some bad decisions. BUT....... He also Carved up what could be called one of the nations best defenses, not to mention made some great plays with his feet and showed the clutch factor. I like that in a player and dont think you can measure it at the combine.

Do you think he can meet Mariotas or Winstons success?

If he goes to the Bills or the Browns do you think he can have a fantasy relevant season?

Trying to determine if I should use my 2.6 on him.

Thoughts?
10 Team SuperFlex PPR TE Premium Best Ball

QB: A. Luck, L. Jackson, K. Murray, T. Jackson
RB: D. Johnson, Damien Williams, T. Pollard, T. Johnson, Dexter Williams, D. Hilliard, B. Hill, J. Ajayi
WR: Juju, Tyreek Hill, AB, C. Godwin, T. Lockett, C. Kupp, T. Boyd, C. Kirk, MVS,T. Benjamin, Emanuel Hall, Preston Williams, J. Watson, Trent Taylor, Ashton Dulin, Scott Miller, Reggie White Jr,
TE: D. Harris, J. Reed, RSJ, ASJ, CJ Uzomah, D. Waller, Ben Watson, Max Williams, F. Moreau

12 Team PPR-4pt passing

QB-L.Jackson, P. Rivers,
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, D. Montgomery, M. Sanders, A. Ekeler, Dexter Williams. J. Hill, Ty. Johnson, D. Hilliard
WR: M. Evans, TY Hilton, A. Brown, T. Boyd, A. Miller, C. Kirk, Marquise Brown, P. Williams
TE: E. Engram, J. Doyle, D. Waller

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Lets talk Deshaun Watson......

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 am

I hope, for his sake, that he ends up in a situation that magically allows him to start for a good team (Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott).

I really like Watson, but I don't think he has the passing ability to be a starting QB in the league. I think he'd get destroyed in Cleveland.

AlPal&Ange
All Pro
All Pro

Postby AlPal&Ange » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 am

Yes he did carve up one of the best defenses, but he is part of a juggernaut offense (Williams, Cain, Scott, Renfrow, Leggett). But I don't think he has that elite pro potential in a QB sense. I just see a rich man's Tyrod Taylor.. A fringe top 20 NFL QB.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am

Vince Young once put on a display in the Rose Bowl that made him look like he would be a superstar. It's hard to say. Maybe Vince would have had less mental hurdles playing for the Cowboys and would have been successful. Maybe not.

Dynastychamp111
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dynastychamp111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 am

AlPal&Ange wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 am Yes he did carve up one of the best defenses, but he is part of a juggernaut offense (Williams, Cain, Scott, Renfrow, Leggett). But I don't think he has that elite pro potential in a QB sense. I just see a rich man's Tyrod Taylor.. A fringe top 20 NFL QB.
I see you are a Brady owner as well. I have been looking for a younger qb, i passed on mariota and winston two years ago and i regret it. Last year i didnt like any of the top 3 qbs in the draft class and i was hesitant on Dak when he was on waivers and missed the boat. Tyrod Taylor was fantasy relevant this year and dropped some top 10 qb games.
10 Team SuperFlex PPR TE Premium Best Ball

QB: A. Luck, L. Jackson, K. Murray, T. Jackson
RB: D. Johnson, Damien Williams, T. Pollard, T. Johnson, Dexter Williams, D. Hilliard, B. Hill, J. Ajayi
WR: Juju, Tyreek Hill, AB, C. Godwin, T. Lockett, C. Kupp, T. Boyd, C. Kirk, MVS,T. Benjamin, Emanuel Hall, Preston Williams, J. Watson, Trent Taylor, Ashton Dulin, Scott Miller, Reggie White Jr,
TE: D. Harris, J. Reed, RSJ, ASJ, CJ Uzomah, D. Waller, Ben Watson, Max Williams, F. Moreau

12 Team PPR-4pt passing

QB-L.Jackson, P. Rivers,
RB: S. Barkley, A. Kamara, D. Montgomery, M. Sanders, A. Ekeler, Dexter Williams. J. Hill, Ty. Johnson, D. Hilliard
WR: M. Evans, TY Hilton, A. Brown, T. Boyd, A. Miller, C. Kirk, Marquise Brown, P. Williams
TE: E. Engram, J. Doyle, D. Waller

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am

As long as he isn't being drafted as a savior I think he's got a chance. Say the Giants take him and give him a year to develop behind Eli. The intangibles are obviously there. Not sure how he rates everywhere else.The recency bias is going to have people reaching.

I do prefer him over the other QBs but I'd rather not take a QB this draft and wait on Rosen, Lamar Jackson and some others next year.

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am

I want him in a Niner jersey.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am

GridironGuerilla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am I want him in a Niner jersey.
He seems like a nice enough guy, I don't know why you would wish such a terrible fate on him
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Kcarr wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am
He seems like a nice enough guy, I don't know why you would wish such a terrible fate on him
:lol:

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Kcarr wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am
Hey, I've gotta have something to root for!

:wall:
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:57 pm

He seems to have all the mental things you look for, but I agree with others that it depends where he ends up. Even Cleveland would be okay if they let Kessler take the beating in 2017 and build an effective line for 2018.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

He's great at the little things. He's a very good leader, he shows up in the biggest moments, and just seems to have a presence about him that makes players better. And of course, his mobility is very good. He can escape the pocket, sometimes in an Aaron Rodgers type way, where you wonder how he even sensed the pressure coming from blind sides. He's very elusive.

But any team that drafts him needs to know that they're basically getting a raw QB. He has the arm talent to make all the throws, but he wasn't really required to do NFL QB type things. A lot of one read stuff, many erratic passes that were bailed out by Mike Williams athleticism and catch radius, he seems to stare down receivers a lot, all of his plays are in the shotgun, etc.

A lot of this sounds like Marcus Mariota coming out of college, but I just don't think Watson is as good as Mariota was, nor do I think he's as special an athlete. I think he's the most talented QB in this class, but I think Trubisky does more things that should translate to the next level. It would not shock me if Watson is good, but it will be very situation dependent. He needs to land on a team with an OC, HC and staff that has been there, done that.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

I agree with that assessment Cameron Giles. Leadership, toughness (physical and mental), and mobility/pocket awareness are definitely his key strengths. These are all extremely important qualities to have as a top QB, and I think he has a solid enough arm albeit with some inconsistencies in his accuracy. His arm is adequate enough though in my opinion that it shouldn't be a major concern. The concern is what you mentioned in that he seemingly hasn't been under centre and will need to enhance his ability to work through his progressions.I want to watch more film on his INT numbers and how they occurred before commenting on too many specifics, but I think these items are ones that can be taught and learned more than the others that he already has.

Regardless of how things shape up, I am a Watson fan. His college career and ability to come through in the big games is impressive and entertaining. The hits he took in the Championship were fierce but he was able to tough through it. He's a tough kid. I'll be rooting for him.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Valhalla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am Vince Young once put on a display in the Rose Bowl that made him look like he would be a superstar. It's hard to say. Maybe Vince would have had less mental hurdles playing for the Cowboys and would have been successful. Maybe not.
I see zero comparison between the situations other than young ahtletic qbs. Vince Young hd severe mental issues that ultimatley undid him, there is no reason for anyone to think that Watson will follow his path the same way as no one should think he will follow Cams exact path either.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:15 pm

thebeast wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm
Valhalla wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am Vince Young once put on a display in the Rose Bowl that made him look like he would be a superstar. It's hard to say. Maybe Vince would have had less mental hurdles playing for the Cowboys and would have been successful. Maybe not.
I see zero comparison between the situations other than young ahtletic qbs. Vince Young hd severe mental issues that ultimatley undid him, there is no reason for anyone to think that Watson will follow his path the same way as no one should think he will follow Cams exact path either.
I was just making the point that he's far from the first kid to look like a future NFL star that just dominated college. NFL success is far more dependent on NFL situation than many give credence to.

Would Cam have ever gotten to MVP status playing for Fisher? Would he have been a multiple time MVP by now playing for Belichick? I don't know. None of us do.