The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
JJRules
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Is it time to panic with Deshaun Watson yet?

Postby JJRules » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 am

I'm super worried for the team in my sig since we can't roster more than two QBs per league rule. Yes it's a stupid rule for superflex, but it is what it is.

I could probably slot one of my extra RB/WR into my SF spot for the first couple of weeks and be fine while I see how it plays out, but that's not a winning solution for the duration of the season.
10-team Superflex, 0.5 PPR, 15-man rosters, pseudo-dynasty
Keep any number of players (0-15), lose same number of draft picks
2010, 2015, 2020 - 🏆, 2013 - 🥈

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, SF, FLEX, D/ST

QB: Dak, Watson
RB: Swift, Robinson Jr, Singletary, Brown, Hubbard, Zeus, Herbert
WR: Wilson, Olave, Pickens, Aiyuk
TE: Pitts, LaPorta
D/ST:

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am

I'm not panicking as an owner of him in 2 of my 3 SF leagues. I dont play this game in redraft for a reason. I have a long term outlook and at minimum am looking at 2-3 year windows to compete. It's unlikely, but if he sits out, big deal. I'll go to battle whoever ends up as his backup or I'll trade for a one year replacement.

If I didnt own him, I'd be looking to acquire everywhere. Taking a step back for one year to land a guy like Watson for the next 10 is a win. It's no different than a lost season to injury, buy when these situations arise.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am

My experience is that in the 1 of my 5 leagues where I don’t already have Watson, the current manager is not panicking.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:33 am

Not sure it's panic time but I did sell him in two leagues last year to acquire Herbert and other consideration with zero regrets on those moves.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 am

It's March. The season doesn't start until September. Even if he does miss camp and sit a game or two, the Texans will inevitably trade him and move on.

If you're in a 1QB league, just find a cheap veteran to start for a few games. If you're in a 2QB, just be patient.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:04 pm

I'm definitely not panicking or even thinking about moving him, but I'm also less optimistic that he plays every game this year. If he is not traded before/during the draft, I'd guess he gets traded in 2022 offseason after sitting some games. It'll cost him money, but for a QB, he's paying that price for more control of his situation long-term.
So yeah, I'm trying to get a good backup on the cheap if I can.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Latest update has the new HC using the "trade on the horizon" buzzwords. Sounds like the Texans are finally seeing the forest for the trees.
NFL Network's Jim Trotter believes Deshaun Watson will be traded after interviewing Texans coach David Culley.

In fact, Trotter "firmly believes" it after an interview where Culley spoke in constant hypotheticals about his roster, hinting at big change on the horizon. "He is our starting quarterback right now," Culley hedged. "He is our starting quarterback. Things happen between now and then. We'll see what happens." Yikes. The Texans' front office continues to feign a brave face, but there has been zero indication of softening from Watson's camp. Culley's comments are the first signs of breaking from the Texans. The situation should come to a head before the draft.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 pm

mild wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm Latest update has the new HC using the "trade on the horizon" buzzwords. Sounds like the Texans are finally seeing the forest for the trees.
NFL Network's Jim Trotter believes Deshaun Watson will be traded after interviewing Texans coach David Culley.

In fact, Trotter "firmly believes" it after an interview where Culley spoke in constant hypotheticals about his roster, hinting at big change on the horizon. "He is our starting quarterback right now," Culley hedged. "He is our starting quarterback. Things happen between now and then. We'll see what happens." Yikes. The Texans' front office continues to feign a brave face, but there has been zero indication of softening from Watson's camp. Culley's comments are the first signs of breaking from the Texans. The situation should come to a head before the draft.
Feels like they're posturing for higher offers. Watson wants out, but right now it's not a huge distraction with nobody really in the building.

But once players start reporting to camps, and there's more media sessions...it will become a big distraction, and they will have to make a move. You don't want to saddle a new coach with a bad situation like that.

They would be wise to move him before the draft. Get picks, reset your organization, draft players, and plan your offseason with players who you know will be there when games start.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Everyone took this as a buy low opportunity for Watson, but I doubt any owners are selling him cheap. Anyone who has him on their roster knows how valuable he is and this will eventually reach a conclusion. Good luck buying him cheap. I was asking when it's time to go buy someone like Brady for his 2021 replacement.

But it sounds like Houston is finally starting to cave and are taking serious offers for him.

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:49 am
mild wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:38 am
My feeling is that this is going to be different. Playing games in the NFL carries a LOT more risk to your body every time you step out onto the field. That risk is greatly increased if your whole team is de-incentivised to put in an effort on your behalf, thinks you're keen to bail on them, or maybe just doesn't really feel that enthused about blocking a Bosa brother on this given Sunday. It would be toxic - and I think that's a lot more dangerous in the NFL where your health is co-dependant on everyone buying in and executing to the highest level.
These guys are all professionals and you purposefully missing assignments and blocks is a bad look for you as an individual and will negatively impact your career and future earnings. There are plenty of guys that haven't been liked by their teammates, but dudes aren't going to let someone through just to send a message. That player would have a hard time ever finding a job again after that. This isn't the movies here.
Farley wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:17 am
If he doesn't get traded, he 100% misses games.

This isn't a James Harden or AD situation.
Why isn't this a James Harden or AD situation? Both guys had their money and contract security but didn't want to be a part of their organization any longer due to losing. It's the exact same thing. I don't buy the social reform narrative because he literally just signed his big money deal in September of 2020, which is many months after the height of the social injustice movement of 2020. If that is what it was about, he wouldn't have signed it.

This is also his first huge contract, so it's not like this is Aaron Rodgers who has made hundreds of millions already. I'm sure Watson is fine financially, but this is his first massive deal, and he may not be in a place to sit those game checks. Even if he is, you're betting on him being the first to just sit games. I'll bet that he is the same as everyone before him.
I do believe it's because of the social reform narrative or however you want to phrase it.

The Texans were also a pile of garbage in September 2020. So what's changed in that regard? This is not about Watson playing for a losing team or trying to form a super team (Harden and AD). He'd happily welcome a trade to the Jets. They're definitely not a group of winners.

And there have been other NFL players who have sat before. Bell just sat a full season. Not sure what you're getting at with the last statement.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:47 am

Farley wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:16 pm
The Texans were also a pile of garbage in September 2020. So what's changed in that regard? This is not about Watson playing for a losing team or trying to form a super team (Harden and AD). He'd happily welcome a trade to the Jets. They're definitely not a group of winners.

And there have been other NFL players who have sat before. Bell just sat a full season. Not sure what you're getting at with the last statement.
Bell didn't have a contract when he sat out. I guess I should have prefaced that nobody has sat with a big money long term deal.

In September 2020 the Texans were the reigning division champs and had their season end to the SB Champs in the playoffs after having a sizable early lead. Much changed between that time and now with the on field results. They have an awful season and all of a sudden Watson wants out. Seen this movie plenty of times.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:55 am

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:47 am

Bell didn't have a contract when he sat out. I guess I should have prefaced that nobody has sat with a big money long term deal.

In September 2020 the Texans were the reigning division champs and had their season end to the SB Champs in the playoffs after having a sizable early lead. Much changed between that time and now with the on field results. They have an awful season and all of a sudden Watson wants out. Seen this movie plenty of times.
Carson Palmer was halfway through his big money deal when he sat out/retired from the Bengals.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 am

Bell gave up a franchise tag contract worth 14.5 million in guaranteed money by sitting out a season.
Watson has a base salary of 10.54 million for 2021 he would lose by sitting out. The Texans could also look to recoup his 2021 signing bonus allocation, which would be an additional 5.04 million.
Also, Bell spurned a long term offer from the Steelers, 5 years at 70 mil, 20+ guaranteed. For reference, he signed a 4 year 52 mil contract with the Jets, with 25 guaranteed.
There’s definitely some similarities to be gleamed here.
Also, E. Dickerson and Emmitt Smith both sat out into the season, missing games, and only returned when management balked and paid them with a new contract.
Bo Jackson decided he didn’t want to play for the Bucs when they drafted him, opting out of the season and re-entering the NFL draft again the following year, when he decided the Raiders were an acceptable landing spot.
Sean Gilbert sat out an entire season in the late 90’s, forcing Washington’s hand to trade him the following offseason. Trent Williams would be another, more recent example from the same organization.
Not to mention countless standoffs that were resolved right before the season started because management blinked and gave into player demands.
Sure, the player also caves sometimes and just puts on a show so everyone knows how they feel. But a player standing firm behind their convictions wouldn’t be some new, never before seen scenario either. I’m not sure why it would be so hard to believe Watson could hold out. Especially considering he is young and plays QB, and his chance at future earnings is much higher than most anyone else who has held out.

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:47 am

We're obviously watching different movies.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 am Bell gave up a franchise tag contract worth 14.5 million in guaranteed money by sitting out a season.
Watson has a base salary of 10.54 million for 2021 he would lose by sitting out. The Texans could also look to recoup his 2021 signing bonus allocation, which would be an additional 5.04 million.
Also, Bell spurned a long term offer from the Steelers, 5 years at 70 mil, 20+ guaranteed. For reference, he signed a 4 year 52 mil contract with the Jets, with 25 guaranteed.
There’s definitely some similarities to be gleamed here.
Also, E. Dickerson and Emmitt Smith both sat out into the season, missing games, and only returned when management balked and paid them with a new contract.
Bo Jackson decided he didn’t want to play for the Bucs when they drafted him, opting out of the season and re-entering the NFL draft again the following year, when he decided the Raiders were an acceptable landing spot.
Sean Gilbert sat out an entire season in the late 90’s, forcing Washington’s hand to trade him the following offseason. Trent Williams would be another, more recent example from the same organization.
Not to mention countless standoffs that were resolved right before the season started because management blinked and gave into player demands.
Sure, the player also caves sometimes and just puts on a show so everyone knows how they feel. But a player standing firm behind their convictions wouldn’t be some new, never before seen scenario either. I’m not sure why it would be so hard to believe Watson could hold out. Especially considering he is young and plays QB, and his chance at future earnings is much higher than most anyone else who has held out.
The key difference is the fines are unforgivable under this CBA and this isn't a contract dispute.
Last edited by Ice on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts