The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Deshaun Watson's new deal

Postby honcho55 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:13 pm

Is Goffs contract so absurd?

I’m at work and can’t check myself. I feel like it’s not so bad.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm

25-27m/year

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm

I’m worried that this Goff trade could be a disaster for the Texans. I don’t think Watson is willing to report/suit up, and I don’t think Houston’s FO can accept an offer that isn’t significantly better than this Stafford one. They might be stuck. Hopefully we get the Miami trade. That would be fun.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:42 pm

I reckon the contract isn't too too bad at those rates, it about big standard for the slightly above average stable game manager. The thing is that Stafford is undoubtedly a superior QB in just about all facets except for age, at a lighter cap hit (roughly 4 million less for better play? Sign my bleep up)

As a Hawks fan I'm really bummed. We are going to need to beef up across out entire defense, can't be falling off again late into the season. NFC West is back to the best division in football undoubtedly, only division close is NFC South with Bucs and saints (which are looking like they are at a tipping point) who have proven to either be superbowl contenders or considered solid shots to make it, or AFC North assuming the Steelers aren't just a reincarnation of that Panthers team that tuned on a bunch of cupcakes just to get raped in the Superbowl, CLE and BAL are good and great respectively
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:08 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm I’m worried that this Goff trade could be a disaster for the Texans. I don’t think Watson is willing to report/suit up, and I don’t think Houston’s FO can accept an offer that isn’t significantly better than this Stafford one. They might be stuck. Hopefully we get the Miami trade. That would be fun.
Since when does Houston's front office care about optics?

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:18 am

honcho55 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:13 pm Is Goffs contract so absurd?

I’m at work and can’t check myself. I feel like it’s not so bad.
Everything is relative, Goffs contract on Mahomes? Excellent.
Goffs contract on Goff? Not so good.

I think Goff fans will have to go through the same process I did as a Wentz fan, come to terms that they just aren't as good as we think or hope.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:11 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:08 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm I’m worried that this Goff trade could be a disaster for the Texans. I don’t think Watson is willing to report/suit up, and I don’t think Houston’s FO can accept an offer that isn’t significantly better than this Stafford one. They might be stuck. Hopefully we get the Miami trade. That would be fun.
Since when does Houston's front office care about optics?
Perhaps they don’t, but this is a different front office. New folks who have to set the stage on their tenure. Who knows what they feel is acceptable, but this is a different group of people who will handle things in their own way. O’Brien is gone.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16 am

I think it will be fairly easy for the return to exceed this for Watson. This looks really nice but:
1. There is no 2021 1st
2. The 2022 pick is assumed to be late.
3. The 2023 pick should be assumed to be on the later side.
4. They had to add to move Goff, making Goff/3rd likely something of a wash (Osweiler cost a 2nd to move).

The packages talked about for Watson include high 2021 1sts and more. This starting point alone already exceeds the above. Just because people view Goff favorably doesn’t mean that’s the reality in the NFL.

If the Texans accepted less than what Detroit got, they were already in trouble. Nothing really changes on that front IMO.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:50 am

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:16 am
I think it will be fairly easy for the return to exceed this for Watson. This looks really nice but:
1. There is no 2021 1st
2. The 2022 pick is assumed to be late.
3. The 2023 pick should be assumed to be on the later side.
4. They had to add to move Goff, making Goff/3rd likely something of a wash (Osweiler cost a 2nd to move).

The packages talked about for Watson include high 2021 1sts and more. This starting point alone already exceeds the above. Just because people view Goff favorably doesn’t mean that’s the reality in the NFL.

If the Texans accepted less than what Detroit got, they were already in trouble. Nothing really changes on that front IMO.
Yeah, I think I agree with you. Obviously Goff’s contract is viewed as a net negative by these teams, although if he continues to look like a Jared Goff-type league average QB away from McVay, I suspect Detroit will be able to flip him.

This is an off-season where the Colts have been rumored to trade for Carson Wentz- would you rather have Wentz or Goff? Goff or Trubisky?

I think the next move for Detroit would be to restructure Goff and pay some of his future guarantees as a signing bonus, eat that money while they’re still bad, and then turn Goff into a more tradeable asset and flip him again.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:05 am

If I'm the Vikings, I'd offer up Cousins + Dalvin for Watson. See if that gets a nibble from Houston.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:19 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:05 am If I'm the Vikings, I'd offer up Cousins + Dalvin for Watson. See if that gets a nibble from Houston.
For fantasy it would be a start. A rebuilding Houston in real life better not even consider a RB as a main compensation piece for Watson.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:32 am

CGW wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:19 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:05 am If I'm the Vikings, I'd offer up Cousins + Dalvin for Watson. See if that gets a nibble from Houston.
For fantasy it would be a start. A rebuilding Houston in real life better not even consider a RB as a main compensation piece for Watson.
lol they should have tried that back when BOB was in charge.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:36 am

CGW wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:19 am
If they plan to draft a rookie QB at some point, a strong run game will help, as well as learning behind Cousins for a couple seasons.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:47 pm

There's been some talk of the 49'ers interest in Watson.

Could you imagine if that somehow comes to pass, and you'd have an NFC West with Wilson, Stafford, Watson, and Murray as starting QB's? That would be insanely competitive!
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:55 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:47 pm There's been some talk of the 49'ers interest in Watson.

Could you imagine if that somehow comes to pass, and you'd have an NFC West with Wilson, Stafford, Watson, and Murray as starting QB's? That would be insanely competitive!
It's an f'n arms race! With Seattle paying heavy for Adams and now LA for Stafford, San Fran needs to ante up. How much should they give? If the price truly is 2 1s, 2 2s and 2 defensive players, is that something they can afford? Seems they've hit on LBs the last few years.

Could we see a 3 way where Jimmy G goes to NE and the pick/player compensation goes to Houston as part of a Watson deal?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def