The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Is it time to panic with Deshaun Watson yet?

Postby jordanzs » Wed May 26, 2021 6:53 pm

In our startup Best Ball superflex Dynasty, I was thrilled to get him at 5.6. 1 pick after Tannehill. At that price point, I don't mind if he sits for a little while.

actionjackson
Rookie
Rookie

Postby actionjackson » Sun May 30, 2021 6:05 am

A quick Google search has Watson's net worth at 24 million. Am i correct in saying that if he choses not to report this season that he could owe the Texans upwards of 21 million? Subtract legal fees and potential settlements from that.
Personally i think that is cutting it pretty close to broke for guy with a future that is up in the air.

He would have to be supremely confident in the outcome of those cases to not report to camp. If the league doesnt suspend him, he is essentially forced to play, unless he wants to forfeit his entire current wealth to take a stand against both the Texans and the 22 women.

Thoughts everyone?

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun May 30, 2021 10:36 am

Hard to believe he could have skated out from under all of this with a $100k payment to Solis a couple of months ago. It would have been a very small fraction of his endorsement capital and would have left his entire football future and earning completely intact.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 31, 2021 8:21 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:36 am Hard to believe he could have skated out from under all of this with a $100k payment to Solis a couple of months ago. It would have been a very small fraction of his endorsement capital and would have left his entire football future and earning completely intact.
I still struggle with the "he should have just paid the money to make it go away take." To me, Watson either is innocent or firmly believes he did nothing wrong. Would you pay somebody money if you were in those shoes? There is an option C that he is a comlpete scumbag that thinks his fame will get him out of this, but that doesn't match with the picture I have of him to this point with the way he has carried himself.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 31, 2021 8:44 am

murphysxm wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:21 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:36 am Hard to believe he could have skated out from under all of this with a $100k payment to Solis a couple of months ago. It would have been a very small fraction of his endorsement capital and would have left his entire football future and earning completely intact.
I still struggle with the "he should have just paid the money to make it go away take." To me, Watson either is innocent or firmly believes he did nothing wrong. Would you pay somebody money if you were in those shoes? There is an option C that he is a comlpete scumbag that thinks his fame will get him out of this, but that doesn't match with the picture I have of him to this point with the way he has carried himself.
I agree with your 3 alternatives, but 2 of the 3 means he sexually assaulted a lot of women.

Regardless, sometimes business decisions have to be made that may cause a little pain to avoid a substantial amount down the road. He’s seeing the consequences of failing to terminate the process early on, which he was in complete control to do. If he is completely innocent, it absolutely sucks but given his communications before he got lawyers involved, it appears that he was well aware that at a minimum he understood that he might have been in the wrong. That was the opportunity to take ownership and end it before it blew up on him - which was completely foreseeable.

And the way he’s carried himself to date? He initially admitted that he might have done something wrong, but that he didn’t mean it and was sorry about it. Then he got a lawyer involved and his story changed to complete denial. Then when that wasn’t working his storied changed to something happened but it was all consensual. Now his team is going on a scorched earth path and is actively trying to publicly diminish, humiliate, and destroy the perception of the women involved after outing all their names to the press. It may be his legal team’s doing, but they won’t and can’t do it without his blessing. Where’s the commendable part of that picture?

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 am

The #Texans are now willing to listen — and have been for some time — to trade offers for star QB Deshaun Watson, multiple sources tell me and @RapSheet. But the price is high for a player of his caliber, and should be. It’d likely take at least three first-round picks and more.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 2141947906

TBH, three 1sts seems kind of reasonable. Ramsay and Tunsil were both sold for 2x 1sts... if there was no legal situation I think the price would be more like 4x or 5x 1sts.

I can definitely see Miami or Philly paying that.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:52 am

If traded, does Tyrod remain starter?
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:58 am

dvpkwys wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:52 am If traded, does Tyrod remain starter?
Doubtful. The few teams that have the assets to trade for Watson would also be throwing in their QB (hurts, tua, darnold) who would all likely be upgrades over Tyrod.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:03 am

CGW wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:58 am
dvpkwys wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:52 am If traded, does Tyrod remain starter?
Doubtful. The few teams that have the assets to trade for Watson would also be throwing in their QB (hurts, tua, darnold) who would all likely be upgrades over Tyrod.
Yeah, it’s hard to imagine those teams coming to an agreement where Philly/Miami/Carolina and Houston both agree that the best move is for Hurts/Tua/Darnold to stay as a backup.

I suppose I could see Houston just passing on Drew Lock, but even then they would probably ask for Bridgewater.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 am

True, good points.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Kelce (Hockenson)

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:14 am

Well at least now, a team probably wants to know how much time he's missing because of these lawsuits.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Where is everyone who thought his career was over?

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:01 pm

MFundercover wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm Where is everyone who thought his career was over?
Missing out on the value gains.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:50 am

Looks like 2 more women have filed criminal complaints, and apparently neither one is part of the 22 women who have also filed civil suits. That takes us up to 24 women who have filed against Watson, 10 of them have filed criminal complaints and the 22 with civil suits.

This likely is not going away soon and there’s no way right now to get any kind of a read on how this affects his career, both short term and long term.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 am

Doesn't seem like he is going to play this year. Also the trading price is massive!

Kelce (Hockenson)