The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Is it time to panic with Deshaun Watson yet?

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:11 am

Ice wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:48 am
Ice wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 am

Why would you expect anything different? This is a Civil Action not a criminal one and they are not minors. This certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Regardless, in today's society it is still innocent until PROVEN guilty no matter how some want to twist the justice system.

Watson has every right to face his accusers in both criminal and civil trials even though civil trials have a lower bar.
This had nothing to do with Watson’s right to due process or a presumption of innocence. My comment is aimed at Hardin sending all the plaintiff’s names to the press.

Because at a minimum it is a crappy thing for a lawyer to do. At worst it makes each of these women a target for harassment or worse, and if they are in fact victims would put them at risk for being victimized again. As an officer of the court, his ethics should prevent this kind of behavior for just those reasons.

And did I seriously need to explain this that you couldn’t figure it out yourself?
So you're shocked a lawyer is smart enough to get the press to investigate. Assuming all these woman are stand up and deserve anonymity is a massive reach. While they might be the defense can't assume that at all. The fact is the court requires them to be public. Now the legal team, private investigators, and yes the press can look into their lives just like everyone is looking into Watson's.

Bottom line is this case is all about money. The playing field levels now that we all know who is who in the battle for public opinion. The lawyer is doing his job just like their lawyer was doing his by dragging Watson through the mud using the same press you might think shouldn't know.

Hard to follow your logic; Watson has also been targeted and in the court of public opinion where this is being fought.

Lawyers on both sides are doing exactly what is expected regardless if you might only think one side should make this public or not.
Now pretend it was your daughter whose name was released to the press...

I’m honestly surprised that you find it hard to follow the logic. I won’t even get into Watson’s dwindling credibility as his story continues to change.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:16 am

Ice wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 am

Why would you expect anything different? This is a Civil Action not a criminal one and they are not minors. This certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Regardless, in today's society it is still innocent until PROVEN guilty no matter how some want to twist the justice system.

Watson has every right to face his accusers in both criminal and civil trials even though civil trials have a lower bar.
This had nothing to do with Watson’s right to due process or a presumption of innocence. My comment is aimed at Hardin sending all the plaintiff’s names to the press.

Because at a minimum it is a crappy thing for a lawyer to do. At worst it makes each of these women a target for harassment or worse, and if they are in fact victims would put them at risk for being victimized again. As an officer of the court, his ethics should prevent this kind of behavior for just those reasons.

And did I seriously need to explain this that you couldn’t figure it out yourself?
So you're shocked a lawyer is smart enough to get the press to investigate. Assuming all these woman are stand up and deserve anonymity is a massive reach. While they might be the defense can't assume that at all. The fact is the court requires them to be public. Now the legal team, private investigators, and yes the press can look into their lives just like everyone is looking into Watson's.

Bottom line is this case is all about money. The playing field levels now that we all know who is who in the battle for public opinion. The lawyer is doing his job just like their lawyer was doing his by dragging Watson through the mud using the same press you might think shouldn't know.

Hard to follow your logic; Watson has also been targeted and in the court of public opinion where this is being fought.

Lawyers on both sides are doing exactly what is expected regardless if you might only think one side should make this public or not.
You make some good points here for sure. One thing that remains a disconnect for me is Watson chose to make himself a public figure and put himself under intense scrutiny by becoming a professional football player. Considering the amount of money he was making, it was probably an easy choice; one laden in upside. If he chose not to be public figure, he'd negate a positive; he'd miss out on the money, but not really suffer any negative consequences. These women didn't choose to make themselves public figures. They were supposedly sexually harassed/assaulted. So they definitely could have chosen to not press charges, and stay out of the public eye; but if what they allege is true; they ARE suffering as unnamed victims for the rest of their lives, and watching their assailant continue on with the choir boy image raking in millions and all the negative mental health issues resulting from such. By choosing to make themselves public figures in coming forward, I'd say their upside is still pretty limited. It can really come down to world view and your own personal philosophies here; but objectively they had much less to gain and much more to lose by how we unfortunately treat (supposed) victims of sexual assault in the world today (whether courts find in their favor or not). It's not really apples to apple on this one to me. I get it can seem logically consistent, and for your ordinary individuals in a case like this I would understand your point more. But Watson coming from a place of wealth, fame, and power tilts the scales IMO. He has the resources and means to mitigate a lot of the negative focus, protect himself and his family from the out lash. The women don't.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:24 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:11 am

I’m honestly surprised that you find it hard to follow the logic. I won’t even get into Watson’s dwindling credibility as his story continues to change.

So unfortunately you have not responded to my posts i've made so I thought I would expand on them with actual sources and correct information:

(1) Buzbee released the names for his clients a week ago (4/14)
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... ee367b25a0

(2) He released the names because under Texas law anonymous lawsuits are not allowed. Hardin argued that point in court, a Judge agreed and ordered the names to be released.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... 23b861fc73

(3) As I pointed out earlier, Watson's statements have always been that he has denied any non-consensual sexual contact with anyone. That story has not changed. Your interpretation of what that means may have changed but his actual statements have not.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:26 am

dustyroads wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:16 am

You make some good points here for sure. One thing that remains a disconnect for me is Watson chose to make himself a public figure and put himself under intense scrutiny by becoming a professional football player. Considering the amount of money he was making, it was probably an easy choice; one laden in upside. If he chose not to be public figure, he'd negate a positive; he'd miss out on the money, but not really suffer any negative consequences. These women didn't choose to make themselves public figures. They were supposedly sexually harassed/assaulted. So they definitely could have chosen to not press charges, and stay out of the public eye; but if what they allege is true; they ARE suffering as unnamed victims for the rest of their lives, and watching their assailant continue on with the choir boy image raking in millions and all the negative mental health issues resulting from such. By choosing to make themselves public figures in coming forward, I'd say their upside is still pretty limited. It can really come down to world view and your own personal philosophies here; but objectively they had much less to gain and much more to lose by how we unfortunately treat (supposed) victims of sexual assault in the world today (whether courts find in their favor or not). It's not really apples to apple on this one to me. I get it can seem logically consistent, and for your ordinary individuals in a case like this I would understand your point more. But Watson coming from a place of wealth, fame, and power tilts the scales IMO. He has the resources and means to mitigate a lot of the negative focus, protect himself and his family from the out lash. The women don't.
That’s an outstanding explanation.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:51 pm

When you say these women didn't choose to become public figures that is where I completely disagree. That is exactly what they did except for the one that didn't refile the civil lawsuit with their legal name as part of PUBLIC RECORD were required by law.

We cannot conflate Criminal from Civil action here. (There is no protect a rape victim here.)

1) These woman were using public Instagram to solicit services.
2) These woman were the ones to have filed lawsuits where they are required by law to be made public.
3) The women are all adults seeking restitution which is why they filed a lawsuit
4) If this was in fact criminal behavior the question becomes how many actually went to the police and filed charges? The answer is ZERO.

BTW; At anytime you can find out almost anything about anyone you chose for under $50.00. That is a big business.

People bringing up if it were your daughter isn't even relevant. The system of justice in this country as it relates to civil actions is actually clear. Obviously, if the woman were minors this all would have been criminal.

Personally, I think Watson is a dirt bag with a sex addiction issue but at the end of the day every single woman who re-filed knows exactly what they are they getting into as this is a national story and some may become famous as a result.

The Lawyer for the women will only take a cut of the settlement so resources are not even a question. Lets say Watson settles for 130K per person. The Lawyer will take his 30K times 22.

The lawyers on both sides have more money than Watson most likely.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:05 am

Ice wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:51 pm

When you say these women didn't choose to become public figures that is where I completely disagree. That is exactly what they did except for the one that didn't refile the civil lawsuit with their legal name as part of PUBLIC RECORD were required by law.

We cannot conflate Criminal from Civil action here. (There is no protect a rape victim here.)

1) These woman were using public Instagram to solicit services.
2) These woman were the ones to have filed lawsuits where they are required by law to be made public.
3) The women are all adults seeking restitution which is why they filed a lawsuit
4) If this was in fact criminal behavior the question becomes how many actually went to the police and filed charges? The answer is ZERO.

BTW; At anytime you can find out almost anything about anyone you chose for under $50.00. That is a big business.

People bringing up if it were your daughter isn't even relevant. The system of justice in this country as it relates to civil actions is actually clear. Obviously, if the woman were minors this all would have been criminal.

Personally, I think Watson is a dirt bag with a sex addiction issue but at the end of the day every single woman who re-filed knows exactly what they are they getting into as this is a national story and some may become famous as a result.

The Lawyer for the women will only take a cut of the settlement so resources are not even a question. Lets say Watson settles for 130K per person. The Lawyer will take his 30K times 22.

The lawyers on both sides have more money than Watson most likely.
I understand what you're saying, and just to clarify I don't think you're "wrong", let alone trying to guilt/shame you about thinking like this. It makes complete logical sense. The issue is the psychology behind sexual abuse and assault and the lack of knowledge people have about it. Which is really where we are diverging in the discussion. It's the same way millions of people (not implying you) still look at drug/alcohol addiction, especially if they've never been touched by it. "I have 0 sympathy. They made that choice to pick up the needle. They stole from their friends. They broke the law." All valid points, but shows no consideration for the psychology, mental and chemical, which is associated with it. And that understanding can lead to just having a different perspective, focusing not so much on the act of using drugs (and all the other negative acts/behaviors that tend to come with it), but rather acknowledging most serious drug users don't even get "high" anymore, they do it to maintain a level of not feeling like sh**; how miserable and sad they must be to use in the first place; them chemical pathways changing in their brain making them physically suffer when not using, etc etc.

This thinking on addiction has thankfully has grown a bit in the past 20 years or so. Unfortunately, we haven't come nearly as far on sexual assault/harassment/abuse. While it can be frustrating and make people question why an overwhelming amount of women don't report, not only to police, but even friends/family; the information is out there detailing exactly why this is. I get people don't understand, and I get they might not agree; but it doesn't make the statistics and studies wrong. So to try and build an argument against them using not reporting as part of the foundation is a fallacy, and a lack of knowledge really. It really is the first rung of a ladder that leads to the entire broken way too many people react and respond to things like this "Well what was she thinking flying there? What was she wearing? Why didn't she just leave? She gives massages for a living, that comes with the territory. Has she hooked up with other clients?" Those questions are akin to telling people "well if you don't run from the cops you won't get shot". As true as it is, the ends still don't justify the means. Dressing a certain way, previous sexual encounters, getting clients from social media, traveling to provide your services; none of these things are justification for getting sexually assaulted. And while I realize you didn't say any of this; making comments about them not reporting, or suggesting that them reporting it means they are somehow complicit in allowing themselves to be harassed and having their lives picked apart by a bunch of middle aged dudes on a message board, is where that tends to lead. This is without even getting into the lack of knowledge most of us have about how criminal justice system as it pertains to sexual assault/abuse/harassment. Some light reading will make it incredibly obvious WHY these charges are civil and not criminal; and it has nothing to do with the validity of the allegations. It has to do with the track record of these cases, the costs vs benefits of going into a criminal case you know you won't win because the burden of proof is nearly impossible to reach; especially when reporting is delayed. So, then, the option left is civil, where in order to file you are naturally going to be seeking for "damages". Same intricacies with why people settle. It sure can seem like they are just in it for the money. But from working with teen victims of sexual abuse for a decade, I can tell you there is serious risk to long term mental and physical issues from subjecting already fragile people to months if not years of being poked, prodded, interrogated, having your every decision over the course of your entire life dredged up and used against you. There's a reason there is a high correlation there with lifelong celibacy, self harm, alcohol and drug addiction, depression, suicide... I don't think any would say it was worth $50k, or really any amount of money.

I don't agree with coming at you with the "imagine it was your daughter" arguments. Again, I understand the point, but it's a poor arguments; as much as it's likely coming from a good place that's just impassioned about the topic. But every time someone uses an argument like the ones I laid out above, it makes me feel the same way. I wish people would rather ask themselves "why?" and then try to actually find out the information to answer rather then just assume they know. I don't have all the answers, I don't think your a bad person, I don't even think the things you are saying are necessarily wrong. To me, they just sound uninformed. And I don't mean that as an insult or to insinuate I know everything about all this or have any magic answer. The whole situation sucks tbh. I just hope we all maybe try to learn a little bit from it. And maybe have a little more compassion, for both the women and Watson; and reserve our judgements till after. There's a high likelihood we never really have all the details enough to say what happened really. But I'm very willing to bet NOONE walks away from this happy or satisfied, regardless of the outcome.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 am

I’ll add this, I think guilty or not, Watson is a huge moron and should have had somebody around looking out for his interests. Firstly, to get that many massages, from so many different women, and especially during Covid restrictions, it’s just not a good look even if that had been the end of story. Secondly, if you are going to have that many different strangers, most of who you found off of social media, be in a one on one situation with you, you should be taking precautions. Especially if you are getting naked for whatever reason I’m those situations. NDA’s, consent forms, video surveillance...in this day and age how do you not try to insulate yourself against a he said/she said situation? Especially if you are a multi millionaire celebrity/star? It just boggles my mind that he could allow himself to get into this position in the first place, unless you were engaging in activities you didn’t want there to be a record of. Or are incredibly naive and have a terrible support system in place around you.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 am

sugbear65 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 am I’ll add this, I think guilty or not, Watson is a huge moron and should have had somebody around looking out for his interests. Firstly, to get that many massages, from so many different women, and especially during Covid restrictions, it’s just not a good look even if that had been the end of story. Secondly, if you are going to have that many different strangers, most of who you found off of social media, be in a one on one situation with you, you should be taking precautions. Especially if you are getting naked for whatever reason in those situations. NDA’s, consent forms, video surveillance...in this day and age how do you not try to insulate yourself against a he said/she said situation? Especially if you are a multi millionaire celebrity/star? It just boggles my mind that he could allow himself to get into this position in the first place, unless you were engaging in activities you didn’t want there to be a record of. Or are incredibly naive and have a terrible support system in place around you.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am

sugbear65 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:55 am I’ll add this, I think guilty or not, Watson is a huge moron and should have had somebody around looking out for his interests. Firstly, to get that many massages, from so many different women, and especially during Covid restrictions, it’s just not a good look even if that had been the end of story. Secondly, if you are going to have that many different strangers, most of who you found off of social media, be in a one on one situation with you, you should be taking precautions. Especially if you are getting naked for whatever reason I’m those situations. NDA’s, consent forms, video surveillance...in this day and age how do you not try to insulate yourself against a he said/she said situation? Especially if you are a multi millionaire celebrity/star? It just boggles my mind that he could allow himself to get into this position in the first place, unless you were engaging in activities you didn’t want there to be a record of. Or are incredibly naive and have a terrible support system in place around you.
We see and say similar stuff with drunk driving too. How don't they have a chauffeur, pay for a limo, or even be a commoner and take an Uber. Leave them a $100 tip and suddenly not only are you home safe, but a champion of the little guy haha. I can only reckon it's in part still being a kid to some extent and, many of them at least, going from broke to millionaires effectively overnight. I know the league and agents have put a bigger emphasis on "life skills" courses for the rich and famous more or less; addressing things like above along with how to properly invest and save for retirement, what kinds of people to be hanging around with, how to spend your free time, social media use, etc etc. in rookie orientations. Also in Watson's case, one of the more plausible scenarios really could be that he's an addict. Frotteurism was wide spread enough to make it into the APA DSM in the 80s. People with disorders like that tend to know what they are doing is wrong and not socially acceptable; so he likely would not have been telling his support network about it, or was just flat out lying about where he was going when he'd be having these appointments. Could also explain why he went the masseuse route and kept changing them; most people with frotteuristic disorder are more likely to seek "engagements" on crowded buses/subways/concert venues where they can either go unnoticed or explain it away as incidental/accidental contact and get out of the area quickly. Watson probably very rarely finds himself in those situations, and would be kind of weird for him to be in them; he's not taking public transportation and gets red carpet treatment to any events he attending, finding himself in private box seats with few people and surrounded by those who know him. And the main pathology is based on doing it to unsuspecting/uknowing people, so paying a girl for even role playing the kind of thing wouldn't "scratch the itch" so to say. Maybe this isn't what's going on, but to me it certainly explains some of the bigger questions I have about the information we know so far.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:11 am

So is it ok for Watson to be assassinated in the media by anonymous allegations?
And it's ok for the lawyer representing the girls to drag Watson's name through the mud with a bunch of anonymous allegations?
Allegations that none of the 20+ felt was serious enough to complain to the police about, but now that there is a lawyer digging up dirt they appear anonymously.
You think that is reasonable?

Edit:
Also make no mistake these women are looking for a payout, not justice. If they wanted justice they would get together walk into a police station and file 21 complaints and pursue a criminal case first and then follow that up with a civil case. But they are not looking to do that, they are looking for a payout and the amounts they were looking for wouldn't ease their pain nor would it have caused Watson any hardship. I would think if you feel victimized then you would want your attacker tried and convicted not walking the streets after paying you a pittance of his net worth. Nor would you have looked initially for a quiet settlement so he could go on and do it to other girls. It all seems like it's driven by money and nothing more.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:26 am

And point proven... :roll:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:07 am

Good conversation overall.

Obviously, there are human issues which have been ongoing since the dawn of time. We are getting smarter when it comes to diseases like drug addiction, sex addiction, alcoholism and and a whole host of physiological issues. There are also many that want something for nothing. Many of these issues are most likely converging.

The bottom line though is when the plan is a civil action; That is a choice and names are a matter of public record. The Court actually makes this available so blaming a lawyer was simply incorrect as anyone of us could have easily found out this information.

It is really no different than arrest records. They are easy to find out and in real time. It makes no difference of innocent or guilt.

We obviously won't solve society problems here but overtime many now realize that the brain is complex and there are an array of diseases out there rarely overcome without professional help.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 am

Ice wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:07 am Good conversation overall.

Obviously, there are human issues which have been ongoing since the dawn of time. We are getting smarter when it comes to diseases like drug addiction, sex addiction, alcoholism and and a whole host of physiological issues. There are also many that want something for nothing. Many of these issues are most likely converging.

The bottom line though is when the plan is a civil action; That is a choice and names are a matter of public record. The Court actually makes this available so blaming a lawyer was simply incorrect as anyone of us could have easily found out this information.

It is really no different than arrest records. They are easy to find out and in real time. It makes no difference of innocent or guilt.

We obviously won't solve society problems here but overtime many now realize that the brain is complex and there are an array of diseases out there rarely overcome without professional help.
Yeah I think the complaint was how he went out of his way to provide the information directly to reporters by emailing them all individually, and reporters gonna report, so they posted pictures of the documents with the women's names on twitter. But it's all information which would have been gotten anyway, and eventually made public during the discovery phase of court proceedings. Agree with the one poster asking are we really surprised by lawyers using ethically questionable tactics to secure a win? I guess some expected Hardin to hold himself to a higher standard than Buzbee, who's already proven himself to be of questionable ethics. But, however unfortunate it is to realize, taking the higher road isn't going to help him defend Watson, so what's the real benefit? Buzbee basically started the trial himself on social media, so tit for tat I suppose. The way the system is designed combined with technology where it is now in society, it encourages that kind of behavior.

Agree, good convo overall. This board has been for the most part more tame and respectful than some of the other football msg boards and reddit subs thankfully.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 am

thebeast wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 amAlso make no mistake these women are looking for a payout, not justice. If they wanted justice they would get together walk into a police station and file 21 complaints and pursue a criminal case first and then follow that up with a civil case. But they are not looking to do that, they are looking for a payout and the amounts they were looking for wouldn't ease their pain nor would it have caused Watson any hardship. I would think if you feel victimized then you would want your attacker tried and convicted not walking the streets after paying you a pittance of his net worth. Nor would you have looked initially for a quiet settlement so he could go on and do it to other girls. It all seems like it's driven by money and nothing more.
I'm not getting tangled up in this whole escapade, but the fact this is bring pursued in civil not criminal court (currently) doesn't indicate/prove they're money grabbing. Could be they reasoned the lower threshold makes a victory more likely, or other non financial reasons.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:02 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 am
thebeast wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 amAlso make no mistake these women are looking for a payout, not justice. If they wanted justice they would get together walk into a police station and file 21 complaints and pursue a criminal case first and then follow that up with a civil case. But they are not looking to do that, they are looking for a payout and the amounts they were looking for wouldn't ease their pain nor would it have caused Watson any hardship. I would think if you feel victimized then you would want your attacker tried and convicted not walking the streets after paying you a pittance of his net worth. Nor would you have looked initially for a quiet settlement so he could go on and do it to other girls. It all seems like it's driven by money and nothing more.
I'm not getting tangled up in this whole escapade, but the fact this is bring pursued in civil not criminal court (currently) doesn't indicate/prove they're money grabbing. Could be they reasoned the lower threshold makes a victory more likely, or other non financial reasons.
That could be. But what do you think the motivation is when Buzbee himself said he tried to keep this quiet and settle this with Watson's team when it was just the single woman? He's publicly slain Watson because the guy wouldn't settle with him and in my mind lured other women into the complaint with the possibility of a payout.